Malory Towers series by Enid Blyton (Spoilers Included)

chesilbeach

I've seen some available on Amazon and I think they were Kindle version, but the Amazon website isn't working at the moment so I can't post a link, however Waterstone's have quite a batch of them, although some are out of stock: https://www.waterstones.com/books/search/term/angela+brazil:)  From what I remember when I looked them up at the weekend, the Amazon reviews were pretty mixed, with a mix between high and low scores.

• Replies 155
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm going to really dive into the fourth novel this weekend!! And guess what you guys?!? :exc: I think the edition I'm reading is an older one because there are illustrations and I haven't reached page 30 and Darrell's already wanting to slap someone instead of sending them to coventry!! :lol: :lol: 

I'm going to really dive into the fourth novel this weekend!! And guess what you guys?!? :exc: I think the edition I'm reading is an older one because there are illustrations and I haven't reached page 30 and Darrell's already wanting to slap someone instead of sending them to coventry!! :lol: :lol:

Oh happy days!! :D I bet it's June :DHappy reading lovely xx

I've now read books one and two and am disappointed that I got the newer, updated editions - I was looking forward to a few slaps. Anyone with the older version, correct me if I'm wrong, but didn't Darrell SLAP Gwen at the pool in the first book for ducking Mary Lou? In my version she shook her instead. And in this version, Gwen was threatened with having her hairbrush thrown away when she wouldn't quit brushing it on the first night, whereas I'm sure in the originals she was threatened with a good spanking with said hairbrush!

I also suddenly remembered, while reading the first book, that I HATED Sally to begin with and thought her incredibly horrid for denying she even had a baby sister - such jealousy has always been incredibly unattractive to me.

It also surprised me, on getting to the second book, to read that this was Darrell's FIFTH term - she'd done four terms in first year, so having come to Malory Towers for the term leading up to the summer hols, she then did an entire year after THAT before going up into the second year, which I find very odd. She must be one of the very youngest, certainly younger than "little" Mary Lou, who must have turned twelve before her to have been there before Darrell arrived.

Then the scholarship girl, Ellen, who almost cheats in the second year, by the time we're onto the third book, she's been shunted up to the fourth form, because there's mention of her being in the same class Zerelda gets put into when she first arrives. So, if a girl who must have been pretty much of an age with Alicia can get put up a year because she's clever, I have to surmise that Darrell's brains aren't all that after all, if she has to stay in first year for more than a year - LOL!

I'm now on the third book, which is one of my favourites - I adored Zerelda when I first read the books, and I still do now. She's simply "wunnerful!"

I have the final three books ordered at the library - I can hardly wait to get them! I'm really enjoying revisiting my favourite fictional boarding school, een if things have been changed a bit since I read them.

I've now read books one and two and am disappointed that I got the newer, updated editions - I was looking forward to a few slaps. Anyone with the older version, correct me if I'm wrong, but didn't Darrell SLAP Gwen at the pool in the first book for ducking Mary Lou? In my version she shook her instead. And in this version, Gwen was threatened with having her hairbrush thrown away when she wouldn't quit brushing it on the first night, whereas I'm sure in the originals she was threatened with a good spanking with said hairbrush!

I think if you go through the earlier posts you'll see that we noticed the same thing (or at least I'm pretty sure we did!). There are definitely different tones to the aggre in the different editions :D 

I've finished the fourth book in the series and so far I've liked it the most. I liked the introduction of Clarissa, and also Connie and Ruth. I usually like sticking to the same characters in books, but as I haven't been a particular fan of any of them, I like it that we get a few new people in each book :) 

A few things I made a note of:

On the first page of the novel, it says "Sally was Darrell's best friend, and had been ever since her first term at Malory Towers almost four years ago."

Blatant lie :D Complete BS! Tut tut Enid... 

And poppyshake, as chesilbeach said in one of her posts, Irene does get better with her compositions. I caught a 'Tumpty-tooty-tumpty-tooty, ta, ta, ta!' in this novel!  :23_sing:  :lol: 

One thing that I'd like someone to explain to me if possible, pretty please! On page 15 Connie and Ruth sniff the air when they can smell it's dinner time, and Alicia says "The Bisto twins!" and everybody laughs. What are the Bisto twins? :shrug: 

There's also a new favorite adjective among the first-formers and the older girls keep making fun of it. 'Smashing!' :D 

Very much looking forward to the fifth book which I've reserved from the library. I wasn't sure after the three book omnibus that I'd like to read on but I really enjoyed the fourth novel and will read the fifth :yes: Smashing! 

Bisto is the trade name of a meat flavoured gravy powder in the UK.  If you have a look at the Wiki page for Bisto you'll see one of the original advertising posters with the two children on it, and I remember as a child, there was always the "Aah, Bisto!" moment when you could smell the roast dinner cooking on a Sunday.  The power of advertising! :D

And poppyshake, as chesilbeach said in one of her posts, Irene does get better with her compositions. I caught a 'Tumpty-tooty-tumpty-tooty, ta, ta, ta!' in this novel!  :23_sing:  :lol:

In the last book Irene progresses to 'shusha shusha shusha' or something :D

Glad you are getting on well with the later books and so glad you read an early edition. I didn't really enjoy In the Fifth .. thought the girls were unbelievably horrid in it :D They surpassed themselves and wanted to slap or give a jolly good talking to (or sit on which was one of their favourite things :D) everyone who wasn't conforming. They really were little beasts :D I enjoyed The Last Term though very much .. it has one resolution in it that we've all been waiting for since the first book. I remember loving it that Enid addressed it and was just as touched by it when I read it again.

Couldn't help laughing at the rosy pic of the girl's futures .. Irene will be a composer .. Belinda will be an artist .. Bill and Clarissa will run their own riding school!!??!! Lord! .. is no-one going to work in the corner shop? :D  

In the last book Irene progresses to 'shusha shusha shusha' or something

Glad you are getting on well with the later books and so glad you read an early edition. I didn't really enjoy In the Fifth .. thought the girls were unbelievably horrid in it. They surpassed themselves and wanted to slap or give a jolly good talking to (or sit on which was one of their favourite thin) everyone who wasn't conforming. They really were little beasts I enjoyed The Last Term though very much .. it has one resolution in it that we've all been waiting for since the first book. I remember loving it that Enid addressed it and was just as touched by it when I read it again.

Couldn't help laughing at the rosy pic of the girl's futures .. Irene will be a composer .. Belinda will be an artist .. Bill and Clarissa will run their own riding school!!??!! Lord! .. is no-one going to work in the corner shop? :D  

Shusha shusha :D :D Jolly good! Smashing!! 

Too bad you didn't enjoy the fifth one so much :( I hope the sixth one was back to form? I do wonder what the one resolution is that you mention. I have no idea what it could be!! :o Something we've all been waiting for since the first book? ... Maybe someone slapped Darrell :D

Edit: Ooh and there was finally a midnight feast! :exc::lol: 

Edited by frankie

Shusha shusha :D Jolly good! Smashing!! 

Too bad you didn't enjoy the fifth one so much. I hope the sixth one was back to form? I do wonder what the one resolution is that you mention. I have no idea what it could be!! Something we've all been waiting for since the first book? ... Maybe someone slapped Darrell :D

Edit: Ooh and there was finally a midnight feast! :exc::lol:

Well maybe we haven't all been waiting for it but I was :DI was glad anyway .. hope you are too by the time you get there (quite possibly everyone else who has read it will have no idea what I'm on about  :blush2:  :giggle: )

Sadly nobody slapped Darrell  ;)  :D 

Yay for midnight feasts!  :D 

Well maybe we haven't all been waiting for it but I was :DI was glad anyway .. hope you are too by the time you get there (quite possibly everyone else who has read it will have no idea what I'm on about  :blush2:  :giggle: )

Sadly nobody slapped Darrell  ;)  :D 

Someone ought to have slapped Darrell :giggle2: I was actually surprised when she got chosen as the girl... Oh my goodness I've forgotten what the position is called. Top girl? Dorm girl? Anyhow.... Well I was more surprised when she was reinstated as the girl some time after being suspended because of the slapping. She's going to go on slapping people and I don't know why everyone wanted her to go back to being head girl. Hm was it head girl? Anyway...

The thing is, though, with the resolution thingy: they don't have any copies of the sixth book at the library :rolleyes: So I'll miss it. You'll have to tell me what it was when I've read the fifth book! 

Someone ought to have slapped Darrell :giggle2: I was actually surprised when she got chosen as the girl... Oh my goodness I've forgotten what the position is called. Top girl? Dorm girl? Anyhow.... Well I was more surprised when she was reinstated as the girl some time after being suspended because of the slapping. She's going to go on slapping people and I don't know why everyone wanted her to go back to being head girl. Hm was it head girl? Anyway...

The thing is, though, with the resolution thingy: they don't have any copies of the sixth book at the library :rolleyes: So I'll miss it. You'll have to tell me what it was when I've read the fifth book!

I'll send you a copy .. no problemo. 

Yes it was head girl. I couldn't ever see why she should be chosen over Sally or why Mary-Lou wasn't given the chance. Does being timid prevent you from being a good head girl? Darrell was always losing her temper. I suppose she was the heroine of the piece .. the one the books were all about and in lots of ways I'm glad Enid didn't make her too perfect but gracious .. she always felt the need to sit on people if she thought they were getting above themselves and the hatred she showed June was way beyond what was called for. She hated her before they'd even unpacked :D Sally was more level headed and even tempered.

I felt annoyed with Alicia for not sticking up for her cousin more during those first few pages .. I mean you would .. what with Darrell going on about perfect Felicity etc. I'd be like 'Oi! Give her a chance'. Similarly, Connie was called all sorts of names in front of Ruth .. however much you might be annoyed by your twin I don't think you'd permit other people to call her names.

Things to be embarrassed by ...

Enid pretty much implied that French girls and American girls were idiots compared to British girls  :blush2: 

Nearly all the tricks comprised of a pellet that you had to activate with water  :D

Irene's musical skills :D (or Enid's explanation of them.)

Being fat seemed to be a sin and a reason to be jeered at (well done Enid :rolleyes:) The illustrator refused to collaborate though and always showed a perfectly normal looking girl  :D 

(We find this out in the last book.) The headmistress gave the same speech, word for word, to the new girls each year .. no variations .. nothing.

That pantomime. 

How To Have The Perfect Midnight Feast

We could already add our own bits and pieces we talked about earlier, but it's nice to know someone is dedicated to this serious subject ;)

Aww bless .. not sure I like the sound of the squashed chocolate sandwich :DLove the idea of tiffin though :)

'Apple Pie Bed .. you should do this to someone you do not like very much.:D 

Aww bless .. not sure I like the sound of the squashed chocolate sandwich :DLove the idea of tiffin though :)

'Apple Pie Bed .. you should do this to someone you do not like very much.:D 

Surely the sandwich is not much different to a Nutella sandwich? When you're a kid, you'll eat anything that's got chocolate in :D

Shame about the Apple Pie Bed though … everyone has duvets nowadays :(

• 4 weeks later...

I got the fifth book in the MT series yesterday from the library and as I was having problems with my current read, I chucked it and started the fifth term. And it was just what I needed! :exc: Such a pleasurable read, although I have to say that the Christmas show and all the prep has been a bit boring for me. But again we have new characters and interesting situations. I read almost the whole book last night in bed :D I have 8 pages to go... I'll be sad to see it end :( 

Well, now you've (almost) finished the series and enjoyed it, I'd heartily recommend Murder Most Unladylike by Robin Stevens … it'll be right up your street! :D

:D I would, but I've already checked the libraries for copies and they don't have any :( 

Surely the sandwich is not much different to a Nutella sandwich? When you're a kid, you'll eat anything that's got chocolate in :D

I have never had a Nutella sandwich .. suddenly I feel deprived :D

Shame about the Apple Pie Bed though … everyone has duvets nowadays :(

Yes .. killjoys! :D

Glad you're enjoying being back at old Malory Towers frankie :D God that pantomime got on my pip :D I will set myself the task of finding a copy of the last book for you :)

Have read two of the St Clare's books now and they do follow a very similar format. Enid's moved on a bit though .. they dance to jazz records in the common room now :D  Plus the legendary frying of the sausages at midnight happened!! I realised though that I have built that scenario up over the years into something quite spectacular. In reality it was a bit disappointing :D