Malory Towers series by Enid Blyton (Spoilers Included)

chesilbeach

So there really are huge differences in the editions!!! That's the first proof we have of it. Very interesting

I do wonder how they thought to keep Darrell slapping people in the modern editions, then. They could've changed things around and said she was sending all them people to Coventry.

Sending people to Coventry is taking on new meanings now .. it's become a euphemism .. to cover up all sorts of violence Enid was fond of getting the girls to dish out :D

What the heck is it with the books?? They always mention earlier events in earlier books, but we've never witnessed them ourselves!! It's enough to make one wonder if one's just been absent minded when reading the earlier book. It's enough to make one go visit a doctor in fear of a terrible illness!   That's not very nice :no:

It did catch me out with the first two books but I'm wise to her old tricks now. These are all of the things she ought to have included but forgot :D

I forgot to say that I do have the next two books reserved but I'm not sure if I feel like reading them when I have them. They  are nice enough books but I have a feeling they might not tempt me all that much. :shrug:

I quite understand. You do need to be 8 really :D Those of us that enjoyed them when little still hold a torch for them and can remember idolising these girls .. bit more difficult to do when you're 'growed up' :D 

Bill would've looked at the gift horse in the mouth but would've accepted it all the same even if it didn't have any teeth :D

:D Silly billy :D

• Replies 155
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Very interesting .. this is what it says in the original .. 

"Nobody ever does," said Sally grimly. "But I believe there is an unwritten law at Malory Towers that if anyone makes herself a nuisance at night a nice big hair-brush is chosen and a few slaps given" :D 

Quite a difference .. they've made Enid less violent :D

Yes .. it was 'Oy' in the earlier books too.

They changed the books??? You are KIDDING me?! I'm kinda gutted now, but also glad I got the heads-up before I got hold of the books, or I'd have been doubly gutted!

They changed the books??? You are KIDDING me?! I'm kinda gutted now, but also glad I got the heads-up before I got hold of the books, or I'd have been doubly gutted!

Yes .. you need to get hold of the earlier copies. I'm not sure when they changed them but I made sure I got those that were reprinted no later than the 1970's.

Sending people to Coventry is taking on new meanings now .. it's become a euphemism .. to cover up all sorts of violence Enid was fond of getting the girls to dish out :D

Now I'm worried about how many times I read someone was sending someone to coventry. What did they actually do? :D

I quite understand. You do need to be 8 really :D Those of us that enjoyed them when little still hold a torch for them and can remember idolising these girls .. bit more difficult to do when you're 'growed up' :D 

I'm sad to have 'growed up' already and not having read these as a kid :(:D

I only started Book 3 yesterday, but where the heck did the opera-singer-to-be Mavis come from?! Everyone just seemed quite used to her and her whims.... :10_confused:

That's what I wondered, too! :rolleyes::D And all the rest of us... That's the staple in these books, though, we've come to agree: Enid refers to things that happened in previous books, even though there was nothing about them in the actual books! Go figure :D

Edited by frankie

That's what I wondered, too! :rolleyes::D And all the rest of us... That's the staple in these books, though, we've come to agree: Enid refers to things that happened in previous books, even though there was nothing about them in the actual books! Go figure :D

I'm glad that it wasn't just me who thought it was a bit odd!

I think Enid refers to things that have happened in between books rather than in previous books. Because each book is only one term out of each year, we miss two terms each time, so she gives you a bit of info as to what might have happened while we've been away, after all, life still goes on even if she doesn't write about it! :lol: 

She seems to like the summer term as I think it allows her use of the swimming pool and to make use of the outdoors, as if she writes in the winter term, they'll all be cooped up inside too much, but it means we don't read about the winter and spring terms, so she just recaps any incidents she needs to in order to give a bit of back story to any characters or plots she's talking about.

That would probably be it, chesil, yes! It's just me being again stumbling on the word term :D :D I kind of thought they were a book per year. Which explains why the third novel is called Third year and not Third Term, as the first two were First Term and Second Term. Makes sense now :D Duh!!

It sounds like "term" is a very British concept when it comes to schools and education, so for those of us from here, it's well engrained in our psyche, as we grew up with it! Start of term, half-term, end of term, three terms a year, we're just used to them and don't consider that it might not be known by people who live elsewhere.

It's a bit like the US grade system - I've never been able to get my head around that, or what ages children go to which schools, and I would have absolutely no idea about the Finnish system! :lol:

Yeah, it's just different words for things and of course it's all common stuff to you guys so no worries :) I already sort of figured it out when Kell explained it to me, but I got the general idea of it but hadn't yet gotten around to figuring out how that all goes when it comes to the books :D I talked about the Finnish school system in a post in the previous page. 

Can you imagine a Christmas dinner left-over midnight feast?! :D

I'd be up for that. I've still got Christmas pie in the freezer :D I made three this year and have only been able to face two so far  :blush2: 

I think a nice sausage wrapped in bacon would go down very well at a midnight feast!

I've just remembered, I've also got a couple of bottles of ginger beer in the fridge … I've always wanted to try it because of Enid Blyton, but have never actually tasted it despite buying it to try a little while back … that would be perfect for a Malory Towers inspired midnight feast! :giggle2:

Oh man, go for it!! I love ginger beer! :wub: :wub: But they don't sell it in the stores over here. Only in some really, really special places. I used to always go and buy a can from this one particular place when I was visiting my then BF in Helsinki. Awww that takes me back to some good times... :) And hey, now I live next to Helsinki, I can go and buy them whenever :D

This is the good stuff: 

2_163124-640x640.jpeg

Edited by frankie

I think it was another of those things that distinguished Enid Blyton's works as for middle and upper classes … I don't know anyone who drank ginger beer when I was little, I don't even remember seeing it for sale. :lol:  It's got a (adopts frightfully correct RP voice) "lashings of ginger beer" reputation over here, so I've always assumed it was something that only posh people drank!  I must try it sometime … :)

That's another interesting factoid right there, and only brought to us because of reading MT :lol: I only know the drink from American TV series, originally. My mind was blown when I first saw a can of the stuff in this Asian food store in Helsinki and immediately wanted to buy some and try it out. Loved it! :wub:

Just read this fascinating article on Angela Brazil, whom the journalist claims is the author of boarding school books which all later writers are influenced by.  It references Malory Towers and the Chalet School books, as well as the stage show Daisy Pulls It Off, which I saw with my friends in the 1990s, and was bloomin' brilliant.

You can get really good ginger beer in bottles too - glass ones that look old fashioned - Fentimans make it. They also do a smashing rose lemonade that is to die for!

Just read this fascinating article on Angela Brazil, whom the journalist claims is the author of boarding school books which all later writers are influenced by. It references Malory Towers and the Chalet School books, as well as the stage show Daisy Pulls It Off, which I saw with my friends in the 1990s, and was bloomin' brilliant.

I'm going to have to look out for those Brazil books lol!