Andrew Sean Greer; 'The Confessions Of Max Tivoli' and his other works

Princess Orchid

• 2 years later...

I have resurrected this old thread, as I recently finished 'The Confessions Of Max Tivoli', as part of a Book Ring Read.

I found the story compelling and moving, written in such an understated way that revelations crept under the text and caught up with you later on in your reading. A couple of times I would return to a chapter, re read a paragraph to see if what I thought I'd read was correct (it was).

Max's confessions so he might finally be understood and forgiven, and therefore belong, are beautifully rendered. We slip back and forth easily through time, with no discomfort to the reader's psyche. The book has an easy rhythm where you always know where you are, and with whom.

Max is a clever one; he is not directly appealing, but by the end of the book, you want so much for him. He is not particularly charasmatic, and at times demands and takes far too much from from those around him.

Andrew Greer has written three books, and an additional book of short stories. Having enjoyed 'The Confessions of Max Tivoli' so much I will look out for his other works.

How It Was for Me (short stories) (2000)

The Path of Minor Planets (2001)

The Confessions of Max Tivoli (2004)

The Story of a Marriage (2008)

Edited by Chrissy