Pets - 2015

frankie

Yes please! Do you want to swap? I gave Jasper wet food for dinner last night (as I do every night) and he threw it all up within 5 minutes...in three separate spots on my lounge room floor (carpet, of course). :(

• Replies 202
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Oh no!! :( Nothing grosser than cat barf! Winny is a foodaholic. I have to watch how much he gets for treats and wet food because he will just eat it all in one sitting and not pace himself. With the hard kibble he paces himself, but just because that's like a consolation prize to the good stuff.  :giggle:

It was SO gross. I was talking to Mum on the phone when it happened, and I was like 'oh no, he's about to throw up again!' With the dry food it's OK because it always comes up undigested so it's easy to clean and not too gross, but the wet food had a lot of gravy, so it was very messy. I was trying not to dry-heave on the phone to Mum.  :blush2: I ended up grossing her out with my commentary and she begged me to stop.  :giggle2:

I make Jasper pace himself with his dry food by putting it in a sort of tower. He has to push the kibble down through a few layers and into a bowl at the bottom. In other words, he has to work for it. :D He rarely throws up the dry stuff anymore since I started feeding him this way. It works really well!

For those of you not on facebook, here are my 3 rescue cats.. the black and white is Jessie, and she was handed into a vet when she was little. She's about 2 now. The black one is Misty, who we got from Cat's Protection - she's about 18 months. They used to sit together a lot, but now they're more likely to 'fight'. It's pretty much play-fighting, but Jessie seems to get a bit carried away, and makes Misty miow. :(

mistyjessie.jpg

Our latest addition is Lola, who's probably about a year old. She was a stray, who was taken in by Cat's Protection when she was pregnant. We decided to adopt her the minute we met her, and so we visited her and her kittens until she was ready to come home with us. She's a real character - one minute she's purring on a lap, the next she's tearing around, chasing things and climbing! :)

lola.jpg

I've signed up with this free Finnish website and offered myself as a dog walker if anyone's interested. So far no one's contacted me and I suppose that's not surprising, I have no experience and I have no dogs :rolleyes::( But I saw a notice yesterday that someone in this area had hurt their legs and needed a doggy walker urgently. I replied and she's already e-mailed me back. I e-mailed her again and am now waiting for her to contact me. 

I might be walking a 6 month old puppy dog today!! :exc: 

Awww I'm sorry to hear Jasper threw up :(. It must have been very messy! Ugh. I hope he feels better soon though :).

Thanks Athena. He seems to get over it pretty quickly. As soon as he's done he just walks off and then sits and acts all cool while he watches me clean up after him, like nothing has just happened!

Kylie - if there's one thing I hate, it's cat sick! And, why can't they stay still?! Also, fostering is a lovely thing to do, but make sure you don't get too attached, and keep them all! :)

Exactly, Michelle! Or why couldn't he at least do it on the tiles so I could mop it up instead of worrying about staining my carpet. I once had enough time to get a plate and try and put it under his mouth to 'catch' it, but he just kept turning away and walking off!

But I don't know that you're one to give advice about not getting attached to adopting rescue cats! :P You already have three, and I bet you'd like more! :D

Oh my god I will be walking a puppy at 5 PM today!!! :exc:

Oh wow, how exciting! Tell us all about it when you get back! And now you'll officially have experience walking dogs, not to mention experience looking after them, so that should lead to more walkies!

Ah, all these pet pics are gorgeous, I must try and put some more recent ones of mine up.. Kylie, how lovely to foster some kitties that need new homes, you'll get a chance to assess theit temperaments and personalities so you can match them up to their lovely new owners.

frankie, I am so excited for you, we need pictures later obviously, what type of dog is he/she?! Have a lovely lovely walk!  :smile:  :smile:  :smile:

Oh wow, how exciting! Tell us all about it when you get back! And now you'll officially have experience walking dogs, not to mention experience looking after them, so that should lead to more walkies!

That's my thoughts exactly, this is my way in to the dog walking 'business'! :smile2: Walkies!!!! :exc:

frankie, I am so excited for you, we need pictures later obviously, what type of dog is he/she?! Have a lovely lovely walk!  :smile:  :smile:  :smile:

I knew you'd be pleased for me, you know how much I love dogs, what with always liking the pics of your doggy pact (and you share my passion for dogs!) ... And yes, we need more pics! :D

I don't know what breed the dog is. I asked the owner what kind of doggy I would be dealing with, in an e-mail, but she didn't say and I forgot to ask when she called me. I'm good with anything though as it's a puppy. And I wouldn't have minded any adult dog breeds, either. Well a Doberman might've given me an initial scare but I'm sure I would've been fine about that, too. 

A puppy, though. How lucky am I?? :blush: Puppy walkies!!! :D

Edited by frankie

Ah, all these pet pics are gorgeous, I must try and put some more recent ones of mine up.. Kylie, how lovely to foster some kitties that need new homes, you'll get a chance to assess theit temperaments and personalities so you can match them up to their lovely new owners.

Exactly. :) You can bet I'll be very strict and only allow 'my' kitties to go home with the best people possible...although I would probably think that all of them would be loved and treasured the most by me.  :blush2:

That's my thoughts exactly, this is my way in to the dog walking 'business'! :smile2: Walkies!!!! :exc:

Yes, it's the perfect job for you, along with being a librarian. You could be a librarian who walks doggies in her spare time. :)

Exactly - if I allowed foster cats into my home, I'd keep them all! :)

Hehe. I'm already wondering if this will be a good idea. I hope I don't get too upset when I have to give them up! :(

Yes, it's the perfect job for you, along with being a librarian. You could be a librarian who walks doggies in her spare time. :)

Yes! :yes: That's the plan :D 

I just can't get over this, I'm too happy :D I won't get anything else done today, I just know it :D 

Yes! :yes: That's the plan :D

I just can't get over this, I'm too happy :D I won't get anything else done today, I just know it :D

When are you going?? Just so I know when to check back.....  Shame you're not closer, Jojo would love to be walked regularly by you, especially if you took yummy treats and a ball with you as they are her favourite things! :) :)

When are you going?? Just so I know when to check back.....  Shame you're not closer, Jojo would love to be walked regularly by you, especially if you took yummy treats and a ball with you as they are her favourite things! :) :)

I'm supposed to meet the woman and the puppy at 5 PM, and I'm to walk him/her for half an hour. And it'll only take me like 10 minutes to get back home, tops. But I don't know if the woman wants to talk to me first and get to know me a little bit, or something like that. I might be back as early as 6 PM, and that will be 4 PM UK time :)

I would love to walk Jojo! :wub: And of course I'd have treats for her :D You'd probably have to tell me off for bringing so much of them, because Jojo would probably start gaining weight... :blush::D But I'd make her run for them! :D

Edit: Don't be expecting any pics, though! I don't have a smart phone and I wouldn't feel comfortable bringing a camera with me on the first day :D The owner might think I'm loopy! 

Edited by frankie

Frankie I hope the dog walking goes well. I wonder if that's something I could do here.

I'm sure you could! Start advertising and see if there are any free online websites for such things.

Okay, here's what went down: I met the dog owner and she seems really nice!  For some reason I thought that a 6 month old puppy would be a small dog... But no! Luckily I image googled 'six month old puppy' beforehand and found out that some dogs can be really big by then. When I rang the doorbell, I was greeted by this massive bark and I was like, wow! :lol: 

It was a six month old German Shepherd! And oh my god he was lovely. But he was very, very energetic, and he liked jumping on me and trying to eat my gloves, hand, bag, scarf, woolly hat, etc...  I had no control over him and he only behaved when his owner got serious about it, and I was already dreading that she wouldn't let me go anywhere with him, not being able to control him. But when we went out, he was a lot calmer and he didn't want to jump me anymore because he wanted to explore the grounds, of course. He did a lot of pulling, but I made him wait and only continued when he relaxed the leash and looked back at me. Oh his poop was really smelly! I gagged and was only lucky that the bin was so close. 

The 30 minutes went by so quickly, and when I realized we needed to head back already, I realized I didn't know where the building was... I knew which way to go but wasn't sure. I had to ask directions from some guy, he was very helpful and looked the street up on his smart phone :blush: I got back late but the owner didn't scold me about it, and I told her I'd lost direction. And I'd left my bag at her place, just to assure her that I was coming back with the dog! 

What a happy lucky energetic dog :D Oh and the owner's Indian, so I talked English to the dog, which was kinda funny :D But I've seen enough English speaking dog shows on TV to know the commands. I was going 'whoseagooooobboyyyyyy!' every few minutes :D 

What was really thrilling was the fact that it was a rescue dog! :) Good people, the owners :) The dog was abandoned by his Mom :( He used to be scared of other dogs but the owners have done a great job and now he loves other dogs! He's only scared of kids and prams now, but they will probably work on that later, too. 

I'm going to walk him tomorrow morning at 8.30! :smile2: Walkieeeees!