Pets - 2015

frankie

Note: Emoticons removed.

This pic is a little older, but its pretty much what Winny and I are doing right now, lol. Netflix, blankies and a gurgling coffee pot preparing hot delicious caffeine for us (me).  We sure know how to live it up!

So beautiful :)!

Aw, so warm and snuggly!

Jasper has taken to sleeping in his pink tunnel lately. I've tried to get a couple of cute photos of him sleeping there, but of course he keeps waking up and walking out. I love the first photo but it drives me a bit nuts because Jasper has crusty stuff in the corners of his eyes. I'm forever prodding at his eyes getting that stuff out. I love doing it (weird, I know!), but he doesn't mind. It's the only thing he sits still for. I've also included a classic pic of catching Jasper in the act of being naughty. 

I also took a photo of my friend's beautiful maremma dog named Pip. I thought Frankie might like it.

Great photos, Jasper is beautiful :)! So is Pip.

BB, what are GSDs? German Shepherds? 

Maybe I'm just seeing that because they are my absolutely most extremely favorite dogs, ever!  Have had them, and love them. 

Frankie, sorry the dog walking didn't work out, but with a large, mostly untrained dog you didn't stand much of a chance.  I hope someone wants you to walk a tractable doggie!

Abby, so adorable!  Love the kitty pics.  He is beautiful. 

Kylie, Jasper is a cutie pie! 

Gaia, your dogs are just great!  I love big dogs!

I took GSD's to mean german shephard dogs but that's just my guess :D. In Dutch we say 'Duitse herdershonden' (plural).

Thank you :D!

• Replies 202
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

According to Google GSD is "German Shepherd Dog". :D 

I love how most big dogs seem to not know their size and think they're lap dogs. 2 of my dad and stepmom's dogs are German Shepherds and they'll curl up on your lap if given the chance. K.D., the older one, is my favorite out of their 5 dogs. She just needs to be held like a little child and cuddled all the time. <3

Pip is such a cute name for a dog! I have my heart set on a little French bulldog someday... maybe I'll name him Pip Squeak and call him Pip for short.  :giggle:

Today is Winny's 1 year adoptaversary. :) I bought him 3 bags of treats, a tin of wet food and a 2 mouse (with bells, which I'm regretting now) toy set. He's beside himself and won't stop purring or giving me loves. <3

Today is Winny's 1 year adoptaversary. :) I bought him 3 bags of treats, a tin of wet food and a 2 mouse (with bells, which I'm regretting now) toy set. He's beside himself and won't stop purring or giving me loves. <3

That is so cute! And so nice of you to celebrate this with him :).

Ahh, I thought it must be.  Thanks. :)

We had dogs that were at least half Shepherds when I was a kid and I had a full blooded, black shepherd years ago.  They are absolutely the smartest dogs.

A friend of mine that was in the Vietnam War told me about dogs used for messaging in that war.  The Shepherds were the ones that survived far better than, say the Dobermans.  A Shepherd would find the best way to get to another place, going around danger far more easily than the Doberman that would simply plow through the danger and be (possibly) killed.  Shepherds thought about things, analyzed situations.  All that said, I hate and abhor the idea of using animals in war. :7_mad:

Ahh, I thought it must be.  Thanks. :)

We had dogs that were at least half Shepherds when I was a kid and I had a full blooded, black shepherd years ago.  They are absolutely the smartest dogs.

A friend of mine that was in the Vietnam War told me about dogs used for messaging in that war.  The Shepherds were the ones that survived far better than, say the Dobermans.  A Shepherd would find the best way to get to another place, going around danger far more easily than the Doberman that would simply plow through the danger and be (possibly) killed.  Shepherds thought about things, analyzed situations.  All that said, I hate and abhor the idea of using animals in war. :7_mad:

Aww, I know what you mean. K.D. was adopted as a little puppy. My dad and stepmom think she's full GSD (the other has long fur and looks a bit like a mix, her name is Lucy). K.D. was originally named Katie but one day when she was about 7 or 8 months old she killed a deer and drug it up onto the porch as a "present". Ever since she's been K.D. (Killer Dog). She likes to hunt like that, and she thinks she's helping provide for her family by doing so. 

Thanks Melodious! <3

What beautiful puss cats (and doggy :D :wub:

Molly hates her pic being taken .. I need to get an up to date one though. Takes some doing though, as soon as she sees the camera .. she turns her back  :D As I said to her .. we could all do that  :D (don't you love animals? .. they don't care two hoots about being rude.)

Wouldn't it be funny if your pets could take selfies .. if you picked up your camera and there were all these pics on it of cats/dogs/rabbits posing :D No .. you're right .. it would be terrifying  :D 

Pip is such a cute name for a dog! I have my heart set on a little French bulldog someday... maybe I'll name him Pip Squeak and call him Pip for short.  :giggle:

My friend named her Pip for the same reason...because she was a pip squeak when she was little! The name stuck, but the size of the dog didn't.  :giggle2:

Aw, happy adoptaversary! I have a small box full of cat toys—most of which Jasper has never played with. :( For a couple of years I even bought him little stockings full of toys for Christmas. I even wrapped them (and then 'helped' Jasper unwrap them). But now I know that it's all pointless and he doesn't care much for toys. :) The only things he likes playing with are all the things he shouldn't be playing with (i.e., my stuff).  :doh:

Wouldn't it be funny if your pets could take selfies .. if you picked up your camera and there were all these pics on it of cats/dogs/rabbits posing :D No .. you're right .. it would be terrifying  :D 

:giggle2:  Perhaps cool, funny and terrifying, all at once!

• 2 weeks later...

I don't think I've ever posted my dogs in the Pets threads on here (well, they're my parents dogs and I don't see them very often, but they're the closest thing I have to pets!) Anyone friends with me on Facebook will have seen them, though, because I post photos relentlessly when I visit them.

This one is Holly, some kind of collie cross. She was a rescue from a litter of pups dumped at the side of a road, brought to a vet by a passer-by. She's fairly anti-social so it can be hard to get nice pictures of her. She's 14 since Christmas just gone, and unfortunately has cancer. She's doing great though, all things considered.
post-4797-0-72894800-1423943503_thumb.jpg

This one is the baby of the family, Roxi, a sheltie collie. She's also a rescue (my dad works for the county animal cruelty prevention charity), and she had been left locked in an abandoned house for a week when her owner moved to England. She's less than a year old, and she's a bit of a demon at times but she's the world's most affectionate dog.

post-4797-0-57066700-1423943514_thumb.jpg

Not my pet, but I know there's lots of cat lovers here who will love this … https://twitter.com/Globe_Pics/status/563230611176173568

Thhat's pretty funky!

I don't think I've ever posted my dogs in the Pets threads on here (well, they're my parents dogs and I don't see them very often, but they're the closest thing I have to pets!) Anyone friends with me on Facebook will have seen them, though, because I post photos relentlessly when I visit them.

Awwww they are both so cute!!

Here are some photos of Boris and Pamuk that I took this morning:

20150215_113355_0,25.jpg

Boris:

20150215_113408_0.25.jpg

Pamuk:

20150215_114756_0.25.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Sorry bobblybear, I'm very late to respond to your wonderful and supportive message. Thank you!  :flowers2:

Frankie, sorry it didn't work out with Moses.....he sounds like a handful, and you shouldn't be too hard on yourself for it. I think even people with a lot of experience with dogs would struggle with a very hyper and untrained GSD. They are big dogs as well, so harder to handle. I have to admit they aren't one of my favourite breeds (my parents had two), and am always a bit wary when we see one while we are out with Reuben.

It's been a while now and I've put it behind me. Yesterday on my walk I came across a German Shepherd and it did make me think of Moses but it didn't make me afraid of walking past this particular dog. I do wonder how Moses is doing. I hope he's doing good and that his owners are managing him better! I can't believe it was only a few months ago, seems like it was ages ago. 

I would say a lot of his behaviour is to do with how he is handled throughout the day by his owner and if they haven't set firm ground rules, then you can't be expected to have a perfectly behaved dog when you walk him. Sounds like a bit of a nightmare, and I don't think GSDs are the best for novice dog-owners (I don't know if the owner had GSDs before).

You're absolutely right. If the female owner had a hard time with him, there was no way I was going to be more successful. No more puppy GSDs for me! =D I'm not going to go in to walk any dog again before I know what breed they are. 

The biting and nipping sounds painful. Reuben did that a lot (labradors are notorious for it), but never while we were walking him.....when we are out he is only focused on his ball.   He is still quite mouthy (even though he is now 3 years old), and when we are play-fighting he always like to nibble on our hands, but he has a very soft-mouth. He was a bit difficult to walk on the lead when he was a pup, and it took him months to get it (and he still isn't brilliant, unless it is his routine walk around the block. Any other time, he knows he goes off-the-lead, so is often pulling until we can let him loose)....he would have these little hyper moments where he would just go spinning in circles on the end of the lead, once nearly darting onto the road when I didn't have the leash short enough. There were a few times when I came home nearly in tears, because he would just flip out and I would have no control. Thankfully he grew out of it, and once we started letting him off the lead (probably around 4 months old) and he could have a proper run and tire him out, his behaviour really changed. No more spinning in circles, just completely focused on when I was going to throw the ball.

I didn't know labs are notorious for biting and nipping! :o I don't think I've met any puppy labbies though, I mean ones I've been able to interact with. Nibbling when play fighting is okay in my opinion but it has to be soft mouthed, like you said Reuben is. No sharp nips! It really is a long process to train a dog, isn't it. And even though you succeed one day, there's no telling what happens the next. One step forward, two steps back... 

I can imagine the hyper moments you had with Reuben, having witnessed Moses... It's really scary when you know they could hurt themselves if they run in front of a car if you have too much leash! They are so quick to go... Sometimes with Moses I would be at my wit's end: for example when I was picking up his poop, I had to make sure I didn't get poop on me, and also that the leash isn't too long and that he's not going anywhere, and also that there weren't any people and/or dogs walking by, and prams were a big no no, and kids. A lot to focus on! =D

I'm glad Reuben's grown out of those 'shenanigans', he's a good lad now isn't he :wub:

I hope you don't let it put you off....like I said before, I find GSDs difficult, unless they have been properly trained. Labradors are wonderful though...ok, maybe I'm a bit biased. 

Biased? You? Noooooo... :lol: Well who could blame you, labs are awesome! 

I also took a photo of my friend's beautiful maremma dog named Pip. I thought Frankie might like it.
   attachicon.gifIMG_0552 copy.JPG

You are correct, frankie does appreciate this! Awwwww Pip is adorable :wub:

I'm glad Jasper's good about you removing the crusty stuff from his eyes, because one would venture to guess that it would be quite the opposite! 

Frankie, sorry the dog walking didn't work out, but with a large, mostly untrained dog you didn't stand much of a chance.  I hope someone wants you to walk a tractable doggie!

Thanks pontalba, I hope so too! :smile2:

Nollaig: Holly and Roxi are adorable :wub:

Athena: Always happy to see pictures of your doggy family! :smile2:

Poppyshake: Awww Alfie! What a wicked Christmas pressie eater :D

Abby: I'm late to this but Happy Adoptaversary! 

You are correct, frankie does appreciate this! Awwwww Pip is adorable :wub:

I'm glad Jasper's good about you removing the crusty stuff from his eyes, because one would venture to guess that it would be quite the opposite! 

I tried to get a better photo, but Pip absolutely wasn't interested in posing for me. I don't even think she knew I was there. There was too much excitement in her surroundings. :D

I would have thought so too, but because I've been removing the crusty stuff from his eyes regularly since I got him, I guess he's just given up and realised he can't win this one. :) He did win the war against me trimming his claws though. I never bother anymore. I just put up with the pain (like I did just a minute ago) when he stood on my lap and kneaded me with his claws through my thin pants. :(

I tried to get a better photo, but Pip absolutely wasn't interested in posing for me. I don't even think she knew I was there. There was too much excitement in her surroundings. :D

Oi, Pip, pay attention to Kylie! Kylie's surroundings are always exciting, she's in freaking Australia, c'mon!!! :rolleyes::D

I would have thought so too, but because I've been removing the crusty stuff from his eyes regularly since I got him, I guess he's just given up and realised he can't win this one. :) He did win the war against me trimming his claws though. I never bother anymore. I just put up with the pain (like I did just a minute ago) when he stood on my lap and kneaded me with his claws through my thin pants. :(

Haha, well whether it be him enjoying it or realizing it was pointless to try and resist, I'm glad you're able to do it. I'm sorry to hear he's not letting you trim his claws, though :(  :empathy:   Kittie claws can really hurt! Even when they don't mean it.

Aw, so cute! I want to go there too!

You could be nibbled a lot though :giggle2: , but there are worse things to happen  :D . I would quite like to been smothered by bunnies  :blush2:

We had a bunny at our pet club last Monday! :smile2: Unfortunately I've discovered during the three bunny visits at the pet club that I'm mighty allergic to them... :( I can't stay in the class room when we have one over. I have to go sit in the hall :D (I bring a book so I can read or I listen to the radio. Let the club host manage the kids :giggle:

They are really adorable, though, aren't they! On Monday I took a quick peak at the bunny from the door, and when the kids went in the hall to play games, the bunny felt more relaxed and got out of his crate all on his own and started playing with his ball :D I think he humped it a bit...? Then he jumped on it but fell over, poor bunny! Then he wondered around, but when the kids came back, he'd had enough and jumped in his crate, through the roof 'window' :D (The 'window' was open, of course. He didn't jump through any substances :D)

Edited by frankie