Here I am.. again!

Felidae

Hi to all!

I'm Renate, have been a member in the past but since that has been years and I've lost my account info plus am not using the emailaddress I used to make my other account anymore.. so I figured it was time for a new account.

Some of you I still know and even still am friends with on FB but it's always nice to get to know new book loving people.

I'm 33 by now and live in the Netherlands. Where I used to love mostly fantasy and horror, these days I read more sci-fi, mostly dystopia's and post-apocalyptic novels. One of the reasons I am here is to get new ideas what to read in these genres without ending up in the YA books.. I mean I love several but am getting sick of them by now and Goodreads seems to know nothing but YA books these days hehe..

Well enough with the intro for now, my tablet is being not so very nice to me and very slow with keeping up with my typing. Also, have to leave for work in half an hour so..

Welcome here! I don't think I remember you, I didn't join the forum until January 2013, but it's great to meet a fellow Dutchy! Whereabouts do you live? I live in Helmond, in Noord-Brabant (the south for those of you who don't know the Netherlands that well) (though it should be pointed out, I don't really feel a "Brabander" or anything). Anyway.. I like science-fiction too. I agree, it seems YA books are very popular these days. Some of them are good, but it's great to also read some adult books, right?! I hope you can find some nice recommendations here :). I think most of the adult SF that I've read, are epic space opera books (since I really like that), but if not that then you might like something like Daniel Keyes - Flowers for Algernon or Nevil Shute - On the Beach or Elizabeth Moon - The Speed of Dark. I think most of the other, adult SF books I've read are more futuristic SF, as in they take place much further into the future which I don't think is what you're looking for?

Haha well thanks for the welcome guys, used to be under the name Univerze that I was a member ;) and yup, Nollaig is still one of my fb friendsies ;)

I live in Nijmegen by the way, not that far off from.. Erm darn i forgot your nick and am posting on my phone now so not able to scroll back to see. My fellow dutchy ;)

Just on my way home from work today so quite tired and no idea if I'll get anymore reading done today, not even YA, which are usually my books of choice when I am uber tired or something ;)

Haha well thanks for the welcome guys, used to be under the name Univerze that I was a member ;) and yup, Nollaig is still one of my fb friendsies ;)

I live in Nijmegen by the way, not that far off from.. Erm darn i forgot your nick and am posting on my phone now so not able to scroll back to see. My fellow dutchy ;)

Just on my way home from work today so quite tired and no idea if I'll get anymore reading done today, not even YA, which are usually my books of choice when I am uber tired or something ;)

I know where Nijmegen is :D! I've been there a few times :). I hope you feel less tired soon.

Daniel Keyes - Flowers for Algernon or Nevil Shute - On the Beach or Elizabeth Moon - The Speed of Dark

Heh, I do know the middle one, not read it but know of, will look up the others, thanks!

And erm, oh I suck at responding to multiple posts, let's see, thanks for all the welcomes!

@Anna Begins, yup, Hugh Howey and his Wool series are much loved, haven't read it completely yet because I keep switching books but am now reading Shift. This really is what I like, though sometimes a bit too much of the same. Margaret Atwood is on my ereader now but haven't got around to it hehe, I don't mind (actually love) strange books.

As for sci-fi, am reading Arthur C. Clarke's The City and the Stars now and liking it, so am not against hard sci-fi or long off futures, actually love the Dying Earth genre too. Had to get used to the.. gosh how do you say this.. daily surroundings of the people being so alien, no solid surroundings, controlling things via thoughts etc. But the idea of mankind developing for all those billions of years, yay! Honestly I don't think we'll last that long but hey. ;)