Innovative bookish ideas

chesilbeach

I couldn't think of a suitable thread to post this in, but I had to share it with you all!

https://twitter.com/booksaremybag/status/556058896637644801

I thought it would be nice to have a place to share pictures we come across of interesting ideas relating to our favourite subject, or maybe an unusual window in a book shop, or perhaps an image of an amazing library. :D

This is an oldie but there are more and more mini libraries popping up around the place, and old phone boxes are becoming popular choices. :lol:

http://www.theguardian.com/uk/2009/nov/30/phone-box-mini-library-somerset

Anyone got any more?

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

When we were on holiday last year, we went to Martha's Vineyard, and found this lovely little library (sorry about the size of the picture - not sure how to reduce it.  The idea is that you take a book and leave a book :)

10644937_10152776928419766_2755694218207

Edited by Ruth

Great link to the libraries, thanks Pont. A couple of those are for sale. Think we should all pool our money? :D

That's a lovely photo, Ruth. I love that the library is part of an inmates program. :) What's Martha's Vineyard like? I'd love to go there one day. I believe it's quite an exclusive place—that the rich and famous have houses there?

Great link to the libraries, thanks Pont. A couple of those are for sale. Think we should all pool our money? :D

I think you're onto something!  :cool:

Literary tights.  Yes, you read that correctly, I give you literary tights:

https://twitter.com/TransworldBooks/status/557897989440962561

I want! :D

Here's some ideas some were great, others made me gasp in shock! How can you do that to books.

http://www.buzzfeed.com/peggy/what-to-do-with-all-those-books#.iil8lEd7P

I've done a few of them!  We all have, but some that lock the books into a permanent  place, unmovable are just not on.

Hah!  Neato! :)

• 3 weeks later...

Wow, that's stunning.  I love seeing the work of proper cabinet makers and woodworkers, so beautiful.

Yes, it would be lovely to be able to afford craftsmen to build your library for you! All I can afford is the cheap IKEA bookcases. :) I'm happy with them, and they do exactly what I want them to do, but it's nice to dream about something grander. :)

My dad was brilliant at woodwork.  I have a table by my beside he made when he was still at school, with a beautiful chessboard top.  It's my most cherished thing in the house.  When I was little, he built all my bedroom furniture … bunk beds, cupboards, shelves, entertainment centre (think of the one Joey built on Friends :lol:), and it was all beautiful.  I used to help, but mainly all I did was hand over tools and sand things down … I'm an expert with a block of wood and a piece of sandpaper!  I even helped him build the wood conservatory at the back of the house one summer when I was a teenager. :D

I have a friend who is a frustrated carpenter who, to the annoyance of his girlfriend, spent several months building a set of book shelves for their study.  They are traditional in design, but he has done a very good job with them and I'd say they were worth the effort, but I'm not sure his partner would agree about the wait!

I'm not keen on the "skybrary" above.  I do like original designs, but there's something I don't like about that, that I just can't put my finger on.  To busy, perhaps?