Tim's Tremendous Tomes

Timstar

To be honest I just don't think Hobb is for me. I will read the final book... I'm just not looking forward to it :blush2: .

Seriously, if you didn't enjoy this one then do yourself a HUGE favour and dump the series now - the last one goes on and on and on and it's just plain bad, imo.  There's really no point putting yourself through that torture :shrug:

• Replies 285
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Would you read a book called Normal Throne. :lol:

I've come across some more:

Throne of Glass (I'm assuming this is so people can look up their own backsides :shrug: )

The Falcon Throne (this one's about Han Solo's toilet, apparently)

The Empty Throne (written after flushing)

Throne of Jade (cos Mick Jagger abdicated)

Throne of Stars (only in their eyes)

I'm sure there are more :giggle2:

Throne of Glass (I'm assuming this is so people can look up their own backsides :shrug: )

I love your comments :giggle2:!

I own Throne of Glass, but I haven't read it yet (since the series isn't yet finished I've held off with reading it). I really liked Karen Miller's other books (though I haven't yet read the K. E. Mills ones), so I'd be happy to read The Falcon Throne as well at some point (at least once the series is finished).

Seriously, if you didn't enjoy this one then do yourself a HUGE favour and dump the series now - the last one goes on and on and on and it's just plain bad, imo.  There's really no point putting yourself through that torture :shrug:

I am very tempted and I will probably end up doing that.  I did quite like the look of her Liveship Traders series but I can't imagine it being any better than what I've already read.

Speaking of the Empty Throne, when are you going to carry on with that series?

Speaking of the Empty Throne, when are you going to carry on with that series?

Pretty soon!  I'd been waiting for the Kindle edition to come down in price, and it has now  :smile:   Once I've read that I'm up to date with that series I can finally make a start on Sharpe  :D

I only read the first Liveship Traders book, that was enough . . .  :giggle2:

Pretty soon!  I'd been waiting for the Kindle edition to come down in price, and it has now  :smile:   Once I've read that I'm up to date with that series I can finally make a start on Sharpe  :D

I've only got 1 Sharpe left! Been reading them since 2010!

I only read the first Liveship Traders book, that was enough . . .  :giggle2:

:( Oh dear

I've only got 1 Sharpe left! Been reading them since 2010!

That seems reasonable, around four books per year :shrug:  I've never read as many books by a single author in one year as I have this year with Patrick O'Brian.  Can't see that ever being repeated (by me)  :smile:

:lol: You sound jealous :giggle2::lol: 

Shame you didn't enjoy the second Farseer book, TIm. Oddly enough though you've given me an urge to return to the series. :lol:

Did you even read my review! :doh:  When reading it I was trying to remember all the things you liked about it but couldn't for the life of me :giggle2:

FWIW, a friend read them a few years ago and loved them :shrug:

Hmm it's the sort of thing I might give a go in a few years or something. :shrug:

Read quite a few smallish books lately:

A Stir of Echoes by Richard Matheson - Steve's review of The Shrinking Man got me in the mood for more Matheson and this was the only other book my library had by him. Maybe I was expecting too much after I am Legend and the Shrinking Man but I didn't think much of it. Not very scary or tense and no great or memorable characters. 7/10

The Catcher in the Rye by J.D. Salinger - Very few books split opinion more than this, it seems to be a love it or hate it kinda deal, I'm not sure what it was about it exactly but I certainly fell into the former catagory, couldn't read it fast enough. 10/10

Redshirts by John Scalzi - I picked this up as it is on my Hugo award winners list as well as my first Scalzi book. It is certainly an original idea that was well executed. Unfortunately it should have ended 50 pages earlier, you'll have to read it to understand. I also feel I would have gotten more out of it if I were a Star Trek fan. 8/10

Breach Zone by Myke Cole - The third installment of his ongoing Shadow Ops series sees the action taken to the heart of New York as a portal to the goblin world is opened in lower Manhattan. The book suffers slightly from an abundance of action in lieu of characterisation but the action is pretty awesome with returns of the main protagonists from the first two books there isn't much to not love. 9/10

Eric by Terry Pratchett - The shortest and weakest installment so far for me in the Rincewind series of Discworld novels but still plenty of puns, mishaps and running away from things. 7/10

Currently Reading:

Interesting Times by Terry Pratchett

Darkness, Be My Friend by John Marsden (Tomorrow Series Book 4)

Great North Road by Peter F. Hamilton (A hefty tome)

Against the Day by Thomas Pynchon (A heftier tome)

Smoke and Mirrors by Neil Gaiman (Short stories)

A Stir of Echoes by Richard Matheson - Steve's review of The Shrinking Man got me in the mood for more Matheson and this was the only other book my library had by him. Maybe I was expecting too much after I am Legend and the Shrinking Man but I didn't think much of it. Not very scary or tense and no great or memorable characters. 7/10

Yeah, I haven't even considered reading that one because I didn't think the film was particularly great, either.  I'm gravitating more towards his short stories now.

Redshirts by John Scalzi - I picked this up as it is on my Hugo award winners list as well as my first Scalzi book. It is certainly an original idea that was well executed. Unfortunately it should have ended 50 pages earlier, you'll have to read it to understand. I also feel I would have gotten more out of it if I were a Star Trek fan. 8/10

Is it one of those books that tries to be funny by spoofing Trek?  That's kind of the idea I'd been given and it put me off getting it, especially after the Erikson Willful Child debacle  :banghead:  :D

Is it one of those books that tries to be funny by spoofing Trek? 

...sort of. It's hard to explain without giving anything away. It certainly doesn't take itself seriously and at 300 pages it is a very quick read.

Yeah, I haven't even considered reading that one because I didn't think the film was particularly great, either.  I'm gravitating more towards his short stories now.

Yeah they might be worth a go, although his novels are already pretty short :giggle2:

Eric by Terry Pratchett - The shortest and weakest installment so far for me in the Rincewind series of Discworld novels but still plenty of puns, mishaps and running away from things. 7/10

I'd have to agree with that, at least as far as I've read into the series (I'm about half way I believe).

• 2 weeks later...

To be honest I just don't think Hobb is for me. I will read the final book... I'm just not looking forward to it :blush2: .

Overall 7/10

Oh dear. :( I bought these a year or two ago because they were very highly recommended by a friend.

Darkness, Be My Friend by John Marsden (Tomorrow Series Book 4)

Cool! Have you finished this yet?

I'll be reading book 2 soon(ish), so may be able to provide a more positive second opinion. :)

I thought the second book was very good, actually  :smile:   It was the third one that was the problem for me.  I often feel that these trilogies would be better as two-parters.  Get rid of all the padding and strip the story down.  I get the impression that authors invest so much time in creating their worlds that they then feel obliged to spend as many books in them as possible regardless of whether the story actually needs it or not :shrug:

Glad to hear you enjoyed Breach Zone! His books are pretty breakneck, aren't they? :D

Definitely! There is almost no good place to put it down :giggle2:

Oh dear. :( I bought these a year or two ago because they were very highly recommended by a friend.

Not sure I could do that to a 'friend' :giggle2: Don't be disheartened a lot of people really love them!

Cool! Have you finished this yet?

Yes, I gave it 8/10. Not the best in the series but a good addition.

I'll be reading book 2 soon(ish), so may be able to provide a more positive second opinion. :)

You probably will, I seem to be in the minority.

I thought the second book was very good, actually  :smile:   It was the third one that was the problem for me.  I often feel that these trilogies would be better as two-parters.  Get rid of all the padding and strip the story down.  I get the impression that authors invest so much time in creating their worlds that they then feel obliged to spend as many books in them as possible regardless of whether the story actually needs it or not :shrug:

:yes: I'm sure we could name more than a few.

. Not my favourite in the series but a strong addition. I'll be starting the 5th soon.

Edited by Timstar

You better enjoy it.  :theboss:

:giggle:

Yes, I gave it 

You gave it what? Don't keep me in suspense!  :lol:

• 3 weeks later...

Apologies for the lack of updates. Life gets in the way :)

Finished a few books lately:

Life of Pi by Yann Martel- 9/10

The City and the City by China Miéville - 7/10

The Last Continent by Terry Pratchett - 6/10

Smoke and Mirrors by Neil Gaiman - 6/10

I am quite close to finishing Great North Road (finally)

Apologies for the lack of updates. Life gets in the way :)

Finished a few books lately:

Life of Pi by Yann Martel- 9/10

The City and the City by China Miéville - 7/10

The Last Continent by Terry Pratchett - 6/10

Smoke and Mirrors by Neil Gaiman - 6/10

I am quite close to finishing Great North Road (finally)

Gosh, Tim, how dare you have a life outside of books?! :lol: What sort of things have you been up to? Glad you've been relatively enjoying your reading. :) I've never read Life of Pi but LOVED the film.