Tim's Tremendous Tomes

Timstar

Did you give up on Deadhouse Gates then? :giggle2:

It's on hiatus :lurker:

You're only insulting yourself there, Young, because I'm (fairly) certain we're almost equal qualification-wise. ;):P

Haha, yeah probably :D Until I finish Ulysses and get my medal that is. :P

Glad you're enjoying the Shadow Ops series! I quite enjoyed the first book but still haven't got around to reading the second. I might have to push it forward a bit since you say it's so good. :)

I'd recommend it, I enjoyed the first but the second is gripping me a lot more.

• Replies 285
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I wouldn't call it frightening, it's certainly not a nice easy narrative and I can see why some... less educated people might not like it :D:giggle2:

I have certainly enjoyed bits of it and the prose is wonderful, for the most part. I'm just over half way now.

God! I'm in trouble then :DI really fancy giving it a go .. despite its fearsome reputation. It's such a heavyweight in the book world that I owe it to try at least. Look forward to the review when it comes :)

I think you will like Imajica.  Are you looking forward to Atlas Shrugged, or not?

Looking forward to is a strong term... I am interested to give it a go, but probably not for a while.

God! I'm in trouble then :DI really fancy giving it a go .. despite its fearsome reputation. It's such a heavyweight in the book world that I owe it to try at least. Look forward to the review when it comes :)

I wouldn't say it is THAT long, the text is quite big for a book that size,  the word count is ~262,000, apparently only 2% of books are longer I don't how accurate that is though. However something like Atlas Shrugged is 645,000 words.

That doesn't make it any easier to read of course, I have been using the wikipedia page (among others) to try and decipher more of it, one section simply states

"After a short incantation, the episode starts with latinate prose, Anglo-Saxon alliteration, and moves on through parodies of, among others,Malory, the King James BibleBunyanDefoeSterneWalpoleGibbonDickens, and Carlyle, before concluding in a haze of nearly incomprehensible slang."

:thud:

I wouldn't say it is THAT long, the text is quite big for a book that size,  the word count is ~262,000, apparently only 2% of books are longer I don't how accurate that is though. However something like Atlas Shrugged is 645,000 words.

That doesn't make it any easier to read of course, I have been using the wikipedia page (among others) to try and decipher more of it, one section simply states

:thud:

Oh God! I'm terrified already :D I like to listen to audiobooks and that might be one way of at least beginning .. if there is a good version .. give me a sense of the rhythms etc. It is the cowards way out of course :D

Just looked it up actually and there's three unabridged version ranging from 27 hours to 42!!?? Either one is reading extremely fast or the other very slow (of course .. the slow one might be looking things up on wiki :D)    

It took me a few months to read Atlas Shrugged, not just because of its length but it reads almost like a philosophy text book. One speech in some prints of the book go on over 60 pages. 

Yikes, It's definitely a chunk-at-a-time kinda book.

Just looked it up actually and there's three unabridged version ranging from 27 hours to 42!!?? Either one is reading extremely fast or the other very slow (of course .. the slow one might be looking things up on wiki :D)    

Nothing wrong with audiobooks :) That is bizarre,the long one might include extra notes or something.  :shrug:

It took me a few months to read Atlas Shrugged, not just because of its length but it reads almost like a philosophy text book. One speech in some prints of the book go on over 60 pages. 

I remember that 60-page speech very well. :( I actually found the book very readable and was flying through the pages until I got to that part. I think it took me as long to read that section as it did to read the rest of the book! I should have just skipped it. But don't let that put you off, Tim; it's a relatively small section. I really loved Atlas Shrugged. It was one of those books that I'd had sitting around for years, and after I finally read it, I was sorry it'd taken me so long to get around to reading it. It was a much easier read than I was expecting.

Haha, yeah probably :D Until I finish Ulysses and get my medal that is. :P

Well, good luck with that! I just remember getting to the part where he randomly masturbates onto a rock (spoiler alert). That was when I realised that Joyce and I just weren't destined to get along. :rolleyes:

I don't remember reading your review of the first Shadow Ops book, though I do remember you got them all signed at the Grim Gathering, you lucky thing. :)

But don't let that put you off, Tim; it's a relatively small section. I really loved Atlas Shrugged. It was one of those books that I'd had sitting around for years, and after I finally read it, I was sorry it'd taken me so long to get around to reading it. It was a much easier read than I was expecting.

Thanks for letting me know, makes it less daunting :)

Well, good luck with that! I just remember getting to the part where he randomly masturbates onto a rock (spoiler alert). That was when I realised that Joyce and I just weren't destined to get along. :rolleyes:

:giggle2: Haha that's nothing compared to the random fetishes in Gravity's Rainbow, (e.g. Scatology) :unsure:

I don't remember reading your review of the first Shadow Ops book, though I do remember you got them all signed at the Grim Gathering, you lucky thing. :)

Not sure I did one :shrug: Would give it 8/10. Did get them all signed though which was awesome.

For gawd's sake, let it go!

:rolol:

710446.jpg Les Misérables - Victor Hugo

Number of pages - 1,232

Synopsis

‘He was no longer Jean Valjean, but No. 24601’

Victor Hugo’s tale of injustice, heroism and love follows the fortunes of Jean Valjean, an escaped convict determined to put his criminal past behind him. But his attempts to become a respected member of the community are constantly put under threat: by his own conscience, when, owing to a case of mistaken identity, another man is arrested in his place; and by the relentless investigations of the dogged policeman Javert. It is not simply for himself that Valjean must stay free, however, for he has sworn to protect the baby daughter of Fantine, driven to prostitution by poverty. A compelling and compassionate view of the victims of early nineteenth-century French society, Les Misérables is a novel on an epic scale, moving inexorably from the eve of the battle of Waterloo to the July Revolution of 1830.

Review

I read this last year over the period of a few months, and when I did I must have been one of the few people who had never seen the musical or film, or anything. So, other than the blurb I didn't really know much about the storyline. Nevertheless after the first few pages I knew what type of book it was going to be... slow, the kind of slow that makes a race between a sloth and a glacier look like Formula 1. So to say this book takes the scenic route is an understatement but the good thing about the scenic route is that the views are tremendous. To give you some idea, nearly a quarter of the book (the length of an average book) is devoted to digressions, including the social order, the church and nuns, the building of the Paris sewers and tonnes about Waterloo.

The prose is fantastic and a joy to read. The descriptions are long-winded but do an excellent job in setting the scene, there is no detail too small or not worth mentioning. Anyone who has seen the musical or film/s will know that the characters are brilliant, both lovable and hate-able, fustrating and relentless.

There is no direct translation of the title into English but 'The Dispossessed' or 'The Wretched' are close approximations, this very much sets the tone of the novel. It is not a happy story, yet it is not depressing, for all the death, toil and misery, Hugo weaves an underlying theme of hope throughout, and this hope makes it all worth it.

I would recommend this book wholeheartedly, though I would say you do need to be in the right mood. If you want a thrilling narrative or a real page turner then don't bother, but I do think everyone should read this at some point.

Overall 10/10

This weekend I also started and finished The Currents of Space by Isaac Asimov, the last in his Galactic Empire trilogy.

I wasn't too keen on this series and if they hadn't been quite short reads I don't think I would have bothered. The characterisation was poor and I struggled to get a grasp of the overall picture of the world/s and empire. But some of the action was fun with good ideas behind the stories.

Pebble in the Sky - 6/10

The Stars, Like Dust - 6/10

The Currents of Space - 6/10

Overall - 6/10

Great review of Les Misérables! I have an English translation of it, both in paperback and a free Kindle ebook that came with my Kindle I believe. I don't know how well I'll be able to read it though as older classics are harder for me to read in English than in Dutch, but I might get around to it some day. I'm so glad you enjoyed it though :).

It's a shame about the Isaac Asimov books. I hadn't heard of the Galactic Empire trilogy before, it sounds like one to avoid perhaps seeing as you didn't enjoy it as much as you'd maybe hoped. I have the Foundation books and The Complete Robot on my TBR.

Great review of Les Misérables! I have an English translation of it, both in paperback and a free Kindle ebook that came with my Kindle I believe. I don't know how well I'll be able to read it though as older classics are harder for me to read in English than in Dutch, but I might get around to it some day. I'm so glad you enjoyed it though :).

It's a shame about the Isaac Asimov books. I hadn't heard of the Galactic Empire trilogy before, it sounds like one to avoid perhaps seeing as you didn't enjoy it as much as you'd maybe hoped. I have the Foundation books and The Complete Robot on my TBR.

You should definitely get aroung to it, I'm sure with your reading speed you could get through it in a week! :blush2:The Galactic Empire trilogy is part of the wider Foundation universe but I wouldn't recommend it as a starting point. The only other Asimov I have read so far is I, Robot which didn't really blow me away. I will have a crack at the proper Foundation series next, but if I don't get on with that then that is it for me and Asimov.

I finished Rengade's Magic by Robin Hobb, the final book of her Solider Son trilogy.

I read before starting that it was generally OK, but no where near as good as her other work, which I'm glad I did otherwise I think I wouldn't bother with any more Hobb. As it stands I am still eager to try out the Farseer trilogy. But I would only recommend this trilogy to hardcore Hobb fans. The main reason I read it was that I picked up the whole trilogy on Kindle for 50p!

They are very slow, in desperate need of some editing. They are between 600 and 750 pages each but with no where near enough story to fill that. Other than the protagonist, Nevere, none of the characters were very likeable or relate-able (and to be honest Nevere wasn't very likeable either!). There were some interesting concepts though, and a few sections with some real page-turning action, but they were few and far between.

Shaman's Crossing - 7/10

Forest Mage - 8/10

Renegade's Magic - 6/10

Overall 7/10

Edited by Timstar

I read this last year over the period of a few months, and when I did I must have been one of the few people who had never seen the musical or film, or anything. So, other than the blurb I didn't really know much about the storyline. Nevertheless after the first few pages I knew what type of book it was going to be... slow, the kind of slow that makes a race between a sloth and a glacier look like Formula 1. So to say this book takes the scenic route is an understatement but the good thing about the scenic route is that the views are tremendous....The prose is fantastic and a joy to read. The descriptions are long-winded but do an excellent job in setting the scene, there is no detail too small or not worth mentioning...I would recommend this book wholeheartedly, though I would say you do need to be in the right mood. If you want a thrilling narrative or a real page turner then don't bother, but I do think everyone should read this at some point.

Overall 10/10

I'm in the same position as you, having never seen the musical or film, and intend to keep it that way until I have read the book, which I fully intend to do this year. This has definitely motivated me, as it sounds exactly my sort of book. Thanks Tim!

I'm in the same position as you, having never seen the musical or film, and intend to keep it that way until I have read the book, which I fully intend to do this year. This has definitely motivated me, as it sounds exactly my sort of book. Thanks Tim!

Yay! No problem :) Hope you enjoy it.

You should definitely get aroung to it, I'm sure with your reading speed you could get through it in a week! :blush2:The Galactic Empire trilogy is part of the wider Foundation universe but I wouldn't recommend it as a starting point. The only other Asimov I have read so far is I, Robot which didn't really blow me away. I will have a crack at the proper Foundation series next, but if I don't get on with that then that is it for me and Asimov.

I'm glad you liked the Robin Hobb books though it's a shame you didn't like them as much as you'd hoped. 50p though is a bargain!

Finished a Bobby Dollar short story, it was a christmas special released last month called God Rest Ye Merry, Gentlepig :lol:

About 80 pages or so, it was a good length for a short story, in equal part thrilling and hilarious. I do hope he keeps going with the Bobby Dollar series, they are brilliant!

Also finished the second Preacher Graphic novel, this series was recommended to me by my Brother who has the whole set (and I borrowed), it's really good, absolutely hilarious yet quite dark as well. Dived straight into the third.

Edited by Timstar

Brilliant review of Les Mis. I agree it's a fantastic book but I did have to skim read some of it - the battle of waterloo certainly. But other than its occasional slowness its such a treat! Glad you enjoyed it.

Interesting about the Robin Hobb books. I guess they are her early work. I think I will give them a miss. I hope you enjoy the Farseer trilogy. I loved it :D

Edited by ~Andrea~