Tim's Tremendous Tomes

Timstar

• Replies 285
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 weeks later...

Haven't got any reviews in me at the moment but I have finished a few books lately:

Foundation and Empire by Isaac Asimov - 7/10

Elfstones of Shannara by Terry Brooks - 9/10

Trainspotting by Irvine Welsh - 9/10

Conqueror by Conn Iggulden - 8/10

Currently reading:

Rogues - Anthology

Republic of Thieves - Scott Lynch

Cryptonomicon - Neal Stephenson

Four Past Midnight - Stephen King

To War with Wellington - Peter Snow

Ooh Rogues is on my wishlist - let me know whether or not it's any good. :)

Just over half way through at the moment, some really great stories, some I haven't bothered to finish. I got it for 99p on Kindle but I hear it is £2 in paperback at Sainsbury's at the moment. Definitely worth that.

Yay! I love that book :) Have you seen the movie? 

Not for ages but yeah, great film. Definitely gonna read more Welsh.

Just over half way through at the moment, some really great stories, some I haven't bothered to finish. I got it for 99p on Kindle but I hear it is £2 in paperback at Sainsbury's at the moment. Definitely worth that.

Ooh, bargainous!

About to order my ticket for the Gollancz festival in October. :D Although it means I'm going to have to do some reading before then . . . out of all the authors participating, the only one I've actually read is Abercrombie. :blush:

Edited by Signor Finzione

Ooh, bargainous!

About to order my ticket for the Gollancz festival in October. :D Although it means I'm going to have to do some reading before then . . . out of all the authors participating, the only one I've actually read is Abercrombie. :blush:

Awesome! I've read Abercrombie, Sanderson and Morgan. Gonna try and read a Baxter and Aaronovitch at least before then.

Oh I've just noticed my total books read this year so far is 72, which means I'm already beating the 71 for the whole of 2014 :)

Also read over 50 graphic novels which i've really been getting into lately, especially the non-Marvel/DC stuff.

Haven't got any reviews in me at the moment but I have finished a few books lately:

Foundation and Empire by Isaac Asimov - 7/10

Elfstones of Shannara by Terry Brooks - 9/10

Trainspotting by Irvine Welsh - 9/10

Conqueror by Conn Iggulden - 8/10

Currently reading:

Rogues - Anthology

Republic of Thieves - Scott Lynch

Cryptonomicon - Neal Stephenson

Four Past Midnight - Stephen King

To War with Wellington - Peter Snow

I'm glad you enjoyed these books! Wow, you're reading a lot of books at once, I couldn't do that. 

I wish you a lot of fun :D. Both with reading more books and with being at the festival :).

Oh I've just noticed my total books read this year so far is 72, which means I'm already beating the 71 for the whole of 2014 :)

Also read over 50 graphic novels which i've really been getting into lately, especially the non-Marvel/DC stuff.

Congratulations!!

I don't suppose you have a list of those graphic novels :unsure:? Or any that particularly stood out to you? I'm just curious :). I've read some graphic novels, and they are hard to come by for a cheaper price here, but that doesn't mean I can't hear about them from others.

Awesome! I've read Abercrombie, Sanderson and Morgan. Gonna try and read a Baxter and Aaronovitch at least before then.

72?! :o Awesome. :D

Yeah, I'm currently reading Rivers of London by Aaronovitch, which I'm actually really enjoying so far. I've looked into some of the other names and really fancy trying a few of them, namely Gavin Smith, Al Robertson and Elizabeth May. :)

I'm glad you enjoyed these books! Wow, you're reading a lot of books at once, I couldn't do that.

I can't seem to not do it these days. To be fair I would only have 1 or 2 standard prose novels on going. The others would be short stories, non-fiction, graphic novels or audio books, usually between 7 and 10 at any one time :o

I don't suppose you have a list of those graphic novels :unsure:? Or any that particularly stood out to you? I'm just curious :). I've read some graphic novels, and they are hard to come by for a cheaper price here, but that doesn't mean I can't hear about them from others.

My favourites so far have been: Preacher, Y: The Last Man, Wolverine: Origin and some Batman's such as The Killing Joke and Year One.

But my absolute favourite which I just finished is Alex + Ada, a heart warming love story set in the future with some profound issues raised:

AlexAda-01-0b-web72.jpg

It's only 3 volumes (I so wish it was longer!) and has superb art. I would highly recommend to everyone, even those who don't normally read graphic novels.

Yeah, I'm currently reading Rivers of London by Aaronovitch, which I'm actually really enjoying so far. I've looked into some of the other names and really fancy trying a few of them, namely Gavin Smith, Al Robertson and Elizabeth May. :)

Glad you're enjoying it, it does have a lot of great reviews. I've looked at some of the others but they don't interest me as much.

• 4 weeks later...

I'll keep that one in mind, thanks :)! I've heard good things of Y: The Last Man from a few other people, too.

Also highly recommend Blankets as well. Started it yesterday and didn't want to put it down, got to 200 pages before I was too tired to continue. It's a charming coming-of-age story with great artwork and brilliant writing.

• 4 weeks later...

It'd be worse if you wanted this :lol:

Edited by Karsa Orlong