Tim's Tremendous Tomes

Timstar

Congrats on reading over 100 books this year! :boogie:

I have Under The Skin on my Kindle and meant to read it a while ago, but always end up reading something else. :doh: I can echo Athena's recommendation of The Crimson Petal and The White; it's a fantastic read.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 285
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Under the Skin is very weird but much better than and nothing like the film. The good writing was compelling but the focus on her breasts did get a bit tedious.

Didn't you just love how the story and the concept unfolded ever so slightly during the first few chapters? I thought it was wicked cool! :smile2: 

I must read Under the Skin soon. I planned to read it a few months ago, but obviously some other book caught my eye instead (easily done, with so many on my TBR pile :sarcastic: ).

It's a great novel. Do you know what it's about? Have you read the blurb? With me, I'd bought the book some years ago and didn't know what it was really about and just went in for it, and in my opinion, that was the best way to go. It has one of  my all time favorite beginnings of a novel, ever. The way we learn things little by little. It's been a while since I read it, but the book has stayed with me. Would never ever want to watch the movie, I don't want my reading experience to be tainted by it! (No matter if the movie's good or not. It just won't be the same.) Totally looking forward to your thoughts on it :smile2:

Edited by frankie

I watched the film and I think it's good. It's very empty, full of long shots with little things on screen. It's different from most of the other films I've watched, even in the arthouse spectrum. The production has plenty of small particularities as well. I understand not watching films/series in order not to ruin one's own perception of books, I do it myself unless I'm assured that both works are dissimilar.

It's a great novel. Do you know what it's about? Have you read the blurb? With me, I'd bought the book some years ago and didn't know what it was really about and just went in for it, and in my opinion, that was the best way to go. It has one of  my all time favorite beginnings of a novel, ever.

I think I have read the blurb on it, but that was a while ago and I have forgotten. :lol: I just know a few people recommended it as one of the most disturbing novels they have ever read. Ok, I shall read it once I finish with Death Descends on Saturn Villa. :boogie:

I think I have read the blurb on it, but that was a while ago and I have forgotten. :lol: I just know a few people recommended it as one of the most disturbing novels they have ever read. Ok, I shall read it once I finish with Death Descends on Saturn Villa. :boogie:

Yeah, it's disturbing alright!! :D I wasn't sure if I should tell you it is, but I had a feeling you're alright with that. And personally I think it's good you've forgotten what the book's about :D Your journey into it will be fresh and non-prejudiced :cool: Cooooool!! :smile2: 

Didn't you just love how the story and the concept unfolded ever so slightly during the first few chapters? I thought it was wicked cool! :smile2:

Yeah it was very good. I'm not even sure how you could go about writing an accurate blurb for it!

I did see the film a couple of years ago but quickly realised the book is a very different entity.

Received The Word for World is Forest by Ursula le Guin from the lovely Laura and read it in two days. A fantastic short novel written in the backdrop of the Vietnam War with the anti-war message unashamedly clear.

This was actually my first le Guin novel despite owning a few others, I didn't realise it was part of her larger 'Hainish Cycle' which I will go on to read more of now :)

Thanks Laura!

Congrats on reading 100 books, Tim! I've only ever managed that once, and I've never come remotely close to doing it again. I'd love to know how I did it the first time!  :giggle:

Under the Skin is on my 'priority list' for next year. I'm determined to read it soon!