Tim's Tremendous Tomes

Timstar

• Replies 285
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The cover for the next Scott Lynch book has been revealed...

Thorn-673x1024.jpg

http://www.gollancz.co.uk/2015/03/cover-reveal-the-thorn-of-emberlain/

With a release date before the end of the year!! Just hope it sticks to it this time. Cannot wait :D

I saw this today! I don't like the cover at all. :giggle2:

I feel like I should be way more excited about this, but as you know I didn't really get along with RoT. :unsure: Must be a 'fourth book' thing, because I'm not all that excited about Peter V. Brett's upcoming The Skull Throne either. Might wait for the paperbacks . . . :giggle2:

Is the Gentleman 'person of dubious parentage' series any good? I've had my eyes on the first one to give a try for a while.

I thought the first two books in the series were absolutely fantastic, but wasn't overstruck on the most recent one. :shrug: Would definitely recommend trying The Lies of Locke Lamora, though. :)

Is the Gentleman 'person of dubious parentage' series any good? I've had my eyes on the first one to give a try for a while.

Haha funny auto-censorship  :doh:  It's my favourite series. Start with The Lies of Locke Lamora which is brilliant. Like Laura says the third isn't as good but I still loved it.

Must be a 'fourth book' thing, because I'm not all that excited about Peter V. Brett's upcoming The Skull Throne either. Might wait for the paperbacks . . . :giggle2:

I'm not excited about that either, It's certainly the last chance that this series has after the abysmal The Daylight War. 

Two new books!

Amazon stated that The Mechanical wouldn't be released until the 12th March but it was in Waterstones yesterday :D

I find that quite often nowadays - spot a book newly out in Waterstones, but when I go on to Amazon, they state it's not out for a few days. Sometimes find myself being taken by surprise in Waterstones, spotting books newly in that I wasn't expecting to be out for a week or two!

As you've observed, far more than I'm actually going to get to, I'm sure! :D:giggle2:

There's always next year ;)

Yay for the Tregillis!  I might get to it some time this year  :giggle2:

Haha, I hope to also, but it is the start of yet another series which puts me off a tad. :blush2:

Not many updates lately, I have barely had any time to read over the last couple of weeks. I have started Neuromancer which is good so far and I'm over half-way through The Lies of Locke Lamora which I never want to put down but apparently I have to be 'social' and go to work and stuff :Tantrum:

Finished it at the weekend, just as good as I remember :D

Started Return of the King

Awesome! :D

I started Fellowship at weekend, and read the entire prologue before realising I wasn't really in the mood for it. :lol: I have a massive urge to watch the films again now, though . . . might have to dust off those Extended Versions soon. :D

Hope you enjoy RotK - make sure to be prepared for the dodgy Shire ending. :rolleyes:

Awesome! :D

I started Fellowship at weekend, and read the entire prologue before realising I wasn't really in the mood for it. :lol: I have a massive urge to watch the films again now, though . . . might have to dust off those Extended Versions soon. :D

Hope you enjoy RotK - make sure to be prepared for the dodgy Shire ending. :rolleyes:

I've been reading them together with my Wife then watching the films afterwards :lol: I forgot how much extra he crammed into The Two Towers

I've been reading them together with my Wife then watching the films afterwards :lol: I forgot how much extra he crammed into The Two Towers

Ooh, I can't remember that much of The Two Towers (you're talking about the book, right?). I remember the barrow wights and Tom Bombadil in Fellowship, and the Saruman-as-Mafia-boss storyline from Return of the King, but can't think what was in TTT that didn't make it into the films (tell me! Tell me! :D ).

Recently finished a few books; The Old Man and the Sea by Hemingway, The Adventures of Sherlock Holmes by Doyle and V for Vendetta graphic novel.

All fairly short reads but I continue to be underwhelmed by Sherlock in all media.

One or two of the Sherlock stories are entertaining, but on the whole I've never been blown away by them either. Love the TV show with Benedict Cumberbatch as Sherlock, although didn't enjoy the second series so much.

Ooh, I can't remember that much of The Two Towers (you're talking about the book, right?). I remember the barrow wights and Tom Bombadil in Fellowship, and the Saruman-as-Mafia-boss storyline from Return of the King, but can't think what was in TTT that didn't make it into the films (tell me! Tell me! :D ).

No I mean the film. Jackson put the start of TTT into the end of Fellowship and the end into the beginning of RotK, plus it is the shortest book of the three. Jackson put a LOT of filler into it. Still great though :)

One or two of the Sherlock stories are entertaining, but on the whole I've never been blown away by them either. Love the TV show with Benedict Cumberbatch as Sherlock, although didn't enjoy the second series so much.

I think the TV series was over-rated. It was OK but I haven't bothered watching beyond the first series.

I hope you two don't mind me jumping in on the "Sherlock Holmes" discussion :unsure:.

I haven't read any Sherlock stories yet by Doyle, but I did read some adaptations by other authors which I liked. It's a shame not all of the original books and stories are as nice.

I liked the TV show Sherlock but I found series three to be not as good as the first two series. I do also have a much older Sherlock Holmes adaptation on DVD, but I don't know much about it (I bought it some years ago on a sale). I saw one episode of Sherlock Hound, an anime TV adaptation, which was okay (I'd have watched more but unfortunately the DVD only allows Japanese audio + English subtitles or English audio without subtitles, and not English audio + English subtitles, so I had to watch it without subtitles).

Don't listen to them, Athena! All of the original Sherlock Holmes stories are amazing!

I can't believe Tim and Signor's blasphemous comments. :icon_eek: I need to go and lie down for a while...  :drama:

No I mean the film. Jackson put the start of TTT into the end of Fellowship and the end into the beginning of RotK, plus it is the shortest book of the three. Jackson put a LOT of filler into it. Still great though :)

Oh, yeah, I forgot about that. :) Yeah, it's great . . . unlike the filler he stuffed into the Hobbit movies. :giggle2::rolleyes:

I liked the TV show Sherlock but I found series three to be not as good as the first two series. I do also have a much older Sherlock Holmes adaptation on DVD, but I don't know much about it (I bought it some years ago on a sale). I saw one episode of Sherlock Hound, an anime TV adaptation, which was okay (I'd have watched more but unfortunately the DVD only allows Japanese audio + English subtitles or English audio without subtitles, and not English audio + English subtitles, so I had to watch it without subtitles).

Oh, I forgot there were three series, not two! :unsure: I think it was series 3 I didn't like, then (was that the one with the wedding?)

Don't listen to them, Athena! All of the original Sherlock Holmes stories are amazing!

I can't believe Tim and Signor's blasphemous comments. :icon_eek: I need to go and lie down for a while...  :drama:

:lol: She knows not to take my views too seriously, since I frown on anything without a satisfactory quota of dragons, wizards or battles. :giggle2:

I'm glad to hear you liked them :)!

Oh, I forgot there were three series, not two! :unsure: I think it was series 3 I didn't like, then (was that the one with the wedding?)

Yes it was! I liked series 3 a lot less than series 1 and 2, as well.

:lol: She knows not to take my views too seriously, since I frown on anything without a satisfactory quota of dragons, wizards or battles. :giggle2:

I do :giggle2:!