Health and Fitness

Kylie

• 1 month later...
  • Replies 339
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I love white bread, potatoes and pasta either, but it makes me fat :/ therefore, I do it like brian and avoid eating them… At first, paleo was pretty hard for me, but now, I feel much better and I have lost some weight too ;) Last Monday, I applied for a gym membership and will start a special fitness programme next week (during the past few months, I haven’t been that sporty due to lack of motivation)

• 2 weeks later...

One thing that really helps to keep going with physical activity is to find things you like doing. For example, if you hate running you will not want and end up hating exercise. Although I go to the gym I only do the things I enjoy and in the summer especially I like to do things outside like running, cycling, and recently I have taken up climbing. Exercise doesn't have to mean pounding the pavement or slogging away for hours on an elliptical machine.

You're exactly right about finding things you like doing, Brian.  I love taking dance classes at my gym, like Zumba and belly dancing.  It's a hard 60 minute cardio but it's worth it!  I've also learned to love weight lifting/strength training :D.

For the past month or so I've been focusing on macronutrients and trying to get a good mix of food for my body type.  So far it's working so I'm happy!

• 4 months later...

I can't sit around blaming the heat this morning as it's a little cooler. Think I'll download the Pokemon go app, put on my ankle brace, leash up the dog and take a short walk around the neighborhood. Gotta keep moving, even if it's slow moving. I just don't want my ankle to put me down completely for two weeks.

• 4 months later...

So how's everyone been getting on with their fitness regimes, now that the year is almost over?  :)

Oh man, the struggle is real.  I waffled on at the start of the year about wanting to crack on with a serious exercise plan, and well, that started, and is ongoing.  (I'm surprised at this, having been the laziest old bat for such a long time.)  I invested in a manual treadmill a few months ago, in addition to my stationary bike, and have been putting in an hour or so's huffing-and-puffing on these every day.  The results have been encouraging.

I also turned vegetarian earlier this year -- one of the best decisions I ever made -- and this has contributed to my overall level of fitness.  I'm certainly paying attention to nutrition, what I'm lacking in, and what I'm doing right.

I feel pretty good right now, but I've still a way to go.  I really want to drop into the "normal" slice of the BMI chart before we're too far into next year.  I'm only a little overweight.  I can do it.  :D

I've lost just over a stone since June, which I am very happy with. It's just through eating healthier (we have salads for dinner a couple of times a week) and also logging my meals using My Fitness Pal. I need to lose a bit more but I'm happy to just take it slowly.

Congrats to everyone who's managed to lose weight and start a new, healthier lifestyle!

I feel like this year has been such a disappointment for me, weight-wise. My jogging came to a halt when I was getting really stressed about whether I'd have to move or not. And then my work was stressful for a while for certain reasons... Then I started a diet (healthy food, but low in calories), and while I was able to keep to the diet, nothing happened weight-wise... I quit that diet and then started to count my calories. And while I was eating less than I needed per day, nothing happened. I had to visit the health center for a normal work-related annual check-up and I complained about not being able to lose weight and the doctor wondered if it's to do with hormones or something. I now have to go and do some blood tests... Which I don't mind, but I have to stop eating for 12 hours before the tests and I have (self-diagnosed) hypoglycemia... So it's going to be a real struggle for me. To wake up and get out of my apartment without breakfast and go somewhere and wait till I'm allowed to eat something. :rolleyes:

Edited by frankie

I quit that diet and then started to count my calories. And while I was eating less than I needed per day, nothing happened.

Same here.  I track my calorie intake with the Cronometer web app -- which is marvellous -- but I've learned that in order to reliably lose weight, I have to cut about 300 calories from their recommended allowance, otherwise I'll only maintain (or even worse, regain).  Which is a big nuisance when you don't have that many calories to play around with in the first place!  I just assumed it was age-related, and having a slightly slower metabolism.  :)

I now have to go and do some blood tests... Which I don't mind, but I have to stop eating for 12 hours before the tests and I have (self-diagnosed) hypoglycemia... So it's going to be a real struggle for me. To wake up and get out of my apartment without breakfast and go somewhere and wait till I'm allowed to eat something. :rolleyes:

I have to do the same thing for my annual blood test, it's so hard! When I get up, one of the first things I do (after getting dressed and such) is having breakfast. I can't start the day without having breakfast or I'll feel so weak and very hungry. It's a struggle when you're not allowed to eat until you're back from the blood tests. With your hypoglycemia you'll probably have it worse than how it affects me. I think my annual blood test is coming up soon. I'll be thinking of you, I wish you lots of strength and hope your blood test (including the not-eating part) goes allright :friends3:.

Same here.  I track my calorie intake with the Cronometer web app -- which is marvellous -- but I've learned that in order to reliably lose weight, I have to cut about 300 calories from their recommended allowance, otherwise I'll only maintain (or even worse, regain).  Which is a big nuisance when you don't have that many calories to play around with in the first place!  I just assumed it was age-related, and having a slightly slower metabolism.   :)

I thought it was age-related, too... Or I thought that might be a possibility. But hey, at least you've now figured out what you need to do and how the Cronometer works for you, personally. That's ace! :) 

I have to do the same thing for my annual blood test, it's so hard! When I get up, one of the first things I do (after getting dressed and such) is having breakfast. I can't start the day without having breakfast or I'll feel so weak and very hungry. It's a struggle when you're not allowed to eat until you're back from the blood tests. With your hypoglycemia you'll probably have it worse than how it affects me. I think my annual blood test is coming up soon. I'll be thinking of you, I wish you lots of strength and hope your blood test (including the not-eating part) goes allright :friends3:.

It's really hard, isn't it? :unsure: I'm sorry that you have to go through it too, soon. I hope you do well and don't feel too bad in the morning  :friends3:  We'll survive! :yes: 

• 3 weeks later...

I finally got my test done, phew!! :smile2:  I talked about it with my boss and asked if I could schedule an appointment for a Thursday morning, as that's when they take in lab 'patients' at my closest health center, and I wouldn't have to travel to the center. Also, by having a scheduled appointment, I would know exactly when my last possible time to eat something was, and I wouldn't have to wait in line. Boss was considerate and said it was fine by her, even if it meant I might be late for work. I got an appointment for 9.25 AM, so I was able to have a snack after dinner, and have a banana by 9 PM, and I could then just sleep till I had to get up and dressed, and then just go to the health center. It all went fine, I didn't feel light headed or nauseous. I wasn't my usual self but I was not bad, either. Thank goodness! 

I'm just so happy that it's now done :smile2:  

I'm so glad your bloodtest went well :smile2:!

Me, too :D I'm still relieved! The woman said they would get the results the next day, and so I was waiting to get a call yesterday... But I didn't receive one. So I guess there's nothing wrong with me and there's no point in calling me? I can't remember if the doctor told me she'd only call me if there was something wrong....

Me, too :D I'm still relieved! The woman said they would get the results the next day, and so I was waiting to get a call yesterday... But I didn't receive one. So I guess there's nothing wrong with me and there's no point in calling me? I can't remember if the doctor told me she'd only call me if there was something wrong....

Oh, I don't like it when that happens! I try to insist they always call me, just so I know for sure. I hope there is nothing wrong with you indeed!

Hope everything was okay, Frankie.

Think it's unprofessional for them not to get into contact.

It was said on the radio that the average person gains 5LBs over Christmas.

I'm not too bothered about healthy eating this month. Will need to get back on it in January though....

Oh, I don't like it when that happens! I try to insist they always call me, just so I know for sure. I hope there is nothing wrong with you indeed!

In hindsight, I should've told her to just call me anyways. I didn't get a call this week either, so I guess I'm okay! Although I might call the center next week and ask them to send me the results, anyway, just to be sure.

Hope everything was okay, Frankie.

Think it's unprofessional for them not to get into contact.

​Yes, one would think they would call either way... Or at least that's how most people would probably prefer it. However, she did say that she'd call IF there was something wrong with me... So at least I know that if there wasn't, she wouldn't call.

It was said on the radio that the average person gains 5LBs over Christmas.

I'm not too bothered about healthy eating this month. Will need to get back on it in January though....

I've also not bothered this month... As when I did bother, and nothing happened, I decided not to stress about it anymore and just try and enjoy life. Maybe I'll try again in January...

• 3 weeks later...

As I'd not heard from the doctor by now, I called the service and got her to call me today. Turns out my blood sugar stuff is fine (yay!!) and my cholesterol's fine (yay!!) but my hemoglobin level's low. When she told me the number, I was shocked. I've never been that low. I'm going to start taking iron supplements and then I'll go and get my levels checked and get a doctor's appointment to see what's what. 

So good news but also not that great news. 

Thanks Athena! I'm kinda sad about my hemoglobin level. But at least that would explain some things. I'm pale as a ghost at times and I do get out of breath more easily than I used to and other things. But now it's easier when I know what it is. 

I'm going to also take better care of my diet :yes: When I was recently keeping log of what I ate, I did find that most days I didn't get enough iron in my food. :(  I'll have to fix that! 

Edit: But why did the doctor not call me about my hemoglobin!!  :censored:  :censored:  :censored:   I thought she'd tell me everything was fine, and that the reason why she didn't call me was that there was nothing wrong with me. Blasted thing... 

Edited by frankie