Health and Fitness

Kylie

Just looked at my dashboard on Map My Walk and it says I've walked 39 miles this week so far (has not yet updated to include this afternoon's walk and there will be tomorrow's too .. so I should do at least 45 miles in total.) Pretty good going but the diet has gone to the dogs this week so I don't feel any benefits from it .. weight wise at least. Alan's birthday is coming up and we've already had one or two treat days out and there's more to come next week  :blush2: I do feel better when I walk as in energy levels. I felt so washed out today that I didn't want to go out for my afternoon walk but when I did I felt much better. It helps that it's not too hot out there. It's very pleasant walking weather.

Need to keep it up and combine it with 'elfy eating :D I might actually get somewhere then  :blush2: Summer is only a sniff away .. need to shift some more weight before then.

Good going. Think where you would have been weight wise if you hadn't walked, so you did have benefits. :smile:

• Replies 339
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Good going. Think where you would have been weight wise if you hadn't walked, so you did have benefits. :smile:

:D This is true .. I hadn't appreciated that. Possibly I've walked up an appetite though .. and not for cabbage :D

Wow, fantastic walking, Kay! You're very inspiring … I just need a few more hours in the daylight to fit in some exercise :giggle2: I'm definitely getting better though, a little bit added each day this week. :)

I have got plenty of time to do it Claire and would otherwise be sitting so something had to be done :blush2: I think the app is encouraging me but I'm not doing much more than usual. I have to watch it, no point in exhausting myself .. that way leads to troublesville but it seems to be giving me more energy which is good. Standing still wears me out the most :D Baking really takes it out of me .. standing, weighing, mixing and then all the washing up. Baking is hard work on the feet :D .. and catastrophic for the waistline  :D 

The glorious weather we've had recently has had me out on my bike for the first times this year, over the course of 4 rides I've clocked up about 110 miles. I bought some clothing for the colder weather as I only have summer gear at the moment and it's only really suitable for 18C upwards. I went out wearing my new long sleeve jersey yesterday and it kept me nice and warm without being too hot. I've been looking at lightweight and aero bikes this week but I think I will upgrade my current bike instead with some new wheels and a GPS computer. At the moment I often have to stop and check my phone because I get lost easily :D

Walked back from the shops the long way round along the seafront again, and walked to the next bus stop again from the one I walked to last time, and got off a stop early to walk home too, although my feet are feeling it a bit now.  I think I'll try and just keep the distance the same over the next few days, and then maybe up it a bit more next week. :)

Managed the same walk again today. :)  Because it's along the seafront, I didn't need to listen to my audiobook, as I get to listen to the sound of the sea instead.  Already the exercise is making a difference … my asthma has been much better in the evenings after I've been out walking or done some other exercise during the day.

I wore the wrong shoes on my walk yesterday (my converse ones) and they are very flat and don't provide any support for the instep, and my feet were killing me by the evening.  I've gone back to my walking shoes today, and although it was more comfortable, my feet are still a bit achy from yesterday, so I only walked about half the distance I've been doing the last few days.  Going to rest my feet this evening and hopefully I'll be back up to full strength tomorrow, so I can do my full walk over the weekend again. :)

You're doing excellently well Claire :) Glad to hear it's made a difference with your asthma. I was thinking of getting some Converse trainers but Al said they wouldn't provide enough support when out walking .. seems he was right! Would they be alright with insoles do you think? I've got some arch support ones which I could put in them. Tbh I like them from a fashion pov  :blush2: I should really get some good trainers with proper support etc. My feet are hurting though and I definitely don't need to make it worse.

Have managed to keep walking lots this week and am on fifty miles already with one day left but then I don't think (as Janet was saying earlier) that Map My Walk is entirely accurate. I did the same walk as Al today and we both mapped our walks (with the same app) and his walk came out half a mile shorter than mine and when we looked at the map .. his had plotted the route accurately and mine had zig-zagged about a bit as if it was lost and waiting to pick up a signal  :blush2: It might be possible that I've only walked three miles and not fifty  :D Al puts this down to him having a superior iPhone (just my luck .. I've only just acquired this one and already it's inferior :D

Had a terrible week of eating though .. it was Al's birthday week (he's not satisfied with just having a day :D) and we had so many treats I couldn't count  :blush2: I really, really, need to do better next week. I can't just keep on saying it .. I must DO IT!! 

You're doing excellently well Claire :) Glad to hear it's made a difference with your asthma. I was thinking of getting some Converse trainers but Al said they wouldn't provide enough support when out walking .. seems he was right! Would they be alright with insoles do you think? I've got some arch support ones which I could put in them. Tbh I like them from a fashion pov  :blush2: I should really get some good trainers with proper support etc. My feet are hurting though and I definitely don't need to make it worse.

Thanks Kay. I was actually thinking of getting some of the new gel insoles that Scholl have been advertising, and I had a look at them today. They're quite expensive, but I noticed that Boots have them on offer so I might give them a go. I think they would be better with some sort of support, but they still have a flat bottom so I'm not sure whether the insoles would be enough for longer walks. If I do splash out on them, I'll report back and let you know. :)

Non-scales victory: A few weeks ago, I bought some new leggings - I tried them on and they fit perfectly. They then got left in the bag and pretty much forgotten about. Today, I found the bag and took them out, thinking to wear them.

They are too big!

I didn't think it was possible for leggings to be so loose that they start falling down!

Not only are they loose around the waist, but they're a little saggy around the knees too.

I am happy!

• 2 weeks later...

I lost 2.6 lbs today mowing the grass. I mowed for 4 hours with only a couple 5 minute breaks (my riding tractor is being repaired). On top of that I had previously lost almost 3 lbs from normal spring/summer outdoor work. I maintain my 55 minutes on the treadmill 6 days a week at a speed of 4 miles per hour. I hope I can keep the weight off at least until my doctor's appt. in June. :)

Another 2.5lbs gone this week, taking me to 31lbs off since the start of the year - and I got slimmer of the week at my Slimming World meeting this morning - hurrah! :)

Off to the gym in a moment for a good, long session of cardio and weights. :)

I've forgotten to mention that I got myself new scales. At the moment it's useless though because I seem to be gaining every day. I think it's because I've started jogging and doing some other exercises and I think those might make extra fluids do nice little conventions and gatherings in my bits. Not sure though. Not too worried about the scales though, as I'm enjoying the training and am looking forward to getting into better shape :) 

It is true that when you begin exercising, you will gain weight at first because your muscles will grow before your fat cells lessen (my aunt followed a course on this, if I'm not mistaken this is what she told me). So I think it is normal and hopefully your weight will go down in a few weeks or such :).

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Another 3 1/2 lbs off this week - that's 36 1/2 lbs since the start of the year, so I'm very happy! :)

You should be proud. That is a huge weight loss in 5+ months. Congratulations.

I have lost about 5 pounds since the first of the year and am now at a weight where I would like to stay.

Congrats on the weight loss, everyone! I'm afraid I don't have much good news to report, but the City2Surf is creeping up on me (less than two months to go), so I really need to start some serious training. It's so hard to get motivated during winter though. :(

Congrats on the weight loss, everyone! I'm afraid I don't have much good news to report, but the City2Surf is creeping up on me (less than two months to go), so I really need to start some serious training. It's so hard to get motivated during winter though. :(

I forgot that it is winter in Australia. I usually put on a few pounds in winter. I believe most people are more active in the summer. LOL, even bears hibernate in the winter.:)

What is it about winter that makes it more difficult?  :empathy:   Let me know if you need a kick in the arse, we could spur each other on!

Ugh, my weight-loss regime had a blip this week, with quite a few salted caramel chocolate coated ice creams....well, it was warm and sunny outside . :giggle:

But I had a medical check-up recently, and my cholesterol was high (8.5mmol/L - when it should be 4 - 5mmol/L)  :o .

The next week result was 7.5, so it is not quite so bad. Just have to lose some weight in the next 3 months, as that should reduce my blood pressure too, as that is quite high at the moment. I managed to reduce my weight just over 1kilo each week, but it's hard sometimes.  :mellow:

It's definitely hard sometimes. I find summers difficult myself, because it's the time when one wants to party like there's no tomorrow (because the winters are cold and the summer's only very short over here) and that includes eating and sometimes drinking, too. Oh dear!

I've not gotten any exercise this week because I've got a flu :rolleyes: I really miss my jogs!