Health and Fitness

Kylie

Great thread! I'm a keen mountain biker/cyclist, it keeps me in shape although i still have to eat sensibly, no amount of exercise will shift extra weight if it isn't matched with healthy eating, and little things like using stairs instead of a lift is a step in the right direction too. :mrgreen:

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 339
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Its not FAIR!!:Tantrum:

I've just come back from a medical this morning and my cholesterol is "a little" high! Me!! Who has been living on little more than fruit, veg and fresh air trying to shift a bit of weight for ages now!  My general diet has never been healthier in my life. I walk everywhere I need to go within reasonable walking distance. I do all my own housework (a workout in itself).

Where is the Justice?!:angry:

If anyone knows of any books I can eat which will help the situation - please add them here.

Thanks for bearing with the rant, everyone. :)

31 minutes ago, Booknutt said:

I've just come back from a medical this morning and my cholesterol is "a little" high! Me!! Who has been living on little more than fruit, veg and fresh air trying to shift a bit of weight for ages now!  My general diet has never been healthier in my life. I walk everywhere I need to go within reasonable walking distance. I do all my own housework (a workout in itself).

If anyone knows of any books I can eat which will help the situation - please add them here.

I empathise, Booknutt!  Getting the balance right can be a song and dance.

Here's a link that might help you:  https://heartuk.org.uk/cholesterol-and-diet/low-cholesterol-diets-and-foods

I'd also recommend tracking your daily food intake through a web app such as Cronometer.  It keeps a record of your vitamin, mineral and other nutrient levels, so you know what you're eating too much of, or the other way about.  It's helped me enormously as I navigate a vegan diet.  https://cronometer.com/

Good luck!  :)

I know of other people who have had this as well, sometimes it's just naturally high and there's not much that can be done, but hope you find a way of keeping it under control.

I don't know how true it is but I was once told that genetics play quite a big role in determining the level of cholesterol in your blood. For this reason you can eat all the right stuff and still have elevated cholesterol.

21 hours ago, Booknutt said:

Awww, I'm sorry to hear this :(. That doesn't sound fair :(. I hope you can find healthy ways to lower it :empathy:.

Thanks for the information Onion Budgie, I'll look into that. Hopefully I won't find it all too depressing!:D

Thanks everyone else too, the sympathy is much appreciated. Thinking about it, my Mum (and I think my Dad for a while) had to deal with high cholesterol too,

Brian, you're right - I've done  bit of digging already and it can run in families. Probably through the female side in my case, since my Dad got his in balance, eventually.

Oh me, Oh my, getting more mature is a drag sometimes - I'll just have to stay young at heart!:)

Enjoy your :readingtwo: fellow Nutts. 

• 3 months later...

I've been back in the gym consistently for about 4 months now but mainly concentrating on weight training instead of cardio exercise. Early this year I was training for a marathon and I got injured. This is the third time I have got injured training for a marathon so I decided that I need to drop some weight and also improve my strength with the hope that this will prevent injury in the future. Fitting it all round work has been a pain and I have even been getting up at 4am on occasion to get to the gym before work. I'm sure it will all be worth it in the end but staying consistent is hard.

I've been doing an online coaching program which really helps as it combines daily nutrition and mindset lessons with workouts. There is also a real coach online who checks in on a regular basis and is there to answer any questions or help if needed. I did the same thing 5 years ago and had great results. Being held accountable for staying consistent is one of the vital things I lack when I try to train alone so the program really helps in this regard.

Encouraging news to report everyone :D

I've been put on a low dose of daily atorvastatin for the cholesterol issue and, after a blood test was gobsmacked and delighted to have a negative result!I

Not only that, my asthma improved too immediately, and I can manage a couple of short slopes locally without puffing, which I did before. How weird and wonderful is that?!

I may have to stay on the tablet (One a day) since the situation seems to have come about through family history and age rather than bad diet (said she trying hard not to sound smug!) but it's a small price to pay. I just need to stay aware of what I eat and limit what I now think of as "red zone" eats.

Y'know the best bit? As someone who is carrying a bit of extra weight I'm used to doctors assuming that I overeat the bad stuff whatever I say.

Vindicated!! No lectures! No disapprovals! The silence was resounding! :D I love it!

Seriously though gang it is worth sticking to your daily routines as we encourage our bodies towards improved fitness. This time I've been lucky but it took years of retraining beforehand to help produce that nil result. Thank you for your encouragement everyone. I needed it, and still need to stay firm on the healthy path.

Enjoy your :readingtwo: fellow health Nutts

Edited by Booknutt
Change wording

I'm glad you've had positive results Booknutt.

The regime I'm doing means 3 weeks which get harder each week and then a 4th week which is a lot lighter to allow the body to recover. I'm so happy this week is a lighter one as I was starting to feel a bit beat up at the end of last week. I already feel really recovered and ready to go for a 10k race I have coming up on Sunday.

On 14/11/2018 at 11:25 AM, Booknutt said:

Encouraging news to report everyone :D

I've been put on a low dose of daily atorvastatin for the cholesterol issue and, after a blood test was gobsmacked and delighted to have a negative result!I

Not only that, my asthma improved too immediately, and I can manage a couple of short slopes locally without puffing, which I did before. How weird and wonderful is that?!

I may have to stay on the tablet (One a day) since the situation seems to have come about through family history and age rather than bad diet (said she trying hard not to sound smug!) but it's a small price to pay. I just need to stay aware of what I eat and limit what I now think of as "red zone" eats.

Y'know the best bit? As someone who is carrying a bit of extra weight I'm used to doctors assuming that I overeat the bad stuff whatever I say.

Vindicated!! No lectures! No disapprovals! The silence was resounding! :D I love it!

Seriously though gang it is worth sticking to your daily routines as we encourage our bodies towards improved fitness. This time I've been lucky but it took years of retraining beforehand to help produce that nil result. Thank you for your encouragement everyone. I needed it, and still need to stay firm on the healthy path.

Enjoy your :readingtwo: fellow health Nutts

Oh..you silenced the doctors!!

Well done. Do plenty of exercise and eat well Booknutt.

• 1 year later...

How is everyone bearing up at the moment. I'm still working but on reduced hours and doing no nightshifts. Apart from 6 months working in Spain, this is the longest break I've had from doing nightshift in 20 years. As a result I feel better than I have in a long time. I had a serious foot injury from mid 2018 until about February this year so I've been able to slowly get back into running and I've kept up my cycling. I actually managed to lose some weight since lockdown started in the UK which I am very happy with.