Health and Fitness

Kylie

Update on the blood pressure fandango:  The Potassium did the trick.  After a bit of seesawing (I ended up having to see the doc, and having blood tests), my final blood pressure reading at the doc's office came out at 125, which is well within the normal range.  At home my readings are under 120, which is optimal.  I cracked it.  I don't have to go on meds.  I'm so relieved. :)

One problem they did find after the blood tests is that I have iron deficiency anaemia (same as frankie!), so I'm now on a three month course of iron pills.  If it ain't one thing, it's t'other!  :lol: 

• Replies 339
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Wohoo Onion Budgie, you done the deed! :clapping:  That's amazing news about the potassium and getting your blood pressure under control! :smile2: You must be well chuffed!

Sorry to hear about the iron deficiency, though, but there's a rather easy fix for that. Did they tell you or did they find out what was the cause of it? With iron deficiency, it's good to get to the bottom of it. (Well, obviously it's good to get to the bottom of all physical ailments. Duh.) I hope it's something easily fixed :)   

Let's pop them iron pills, mate! :friends3:

Thanks, frankie. :)  I am chuffed indeed!

As for the iron, the doc believes it's diet related.  I know that I'm eating more iron as a veggie than I ever was as an omni, so I guess my system has been trying to play catch-up this past year, and failing.  I hope the pills sort me (us both!) out.

Well done, Onion Budgie! I have to go in on Monday for Iron and Magnesium blood tests because my doc thinks I'm low and that's contributing to my leg/foot pain. I gave up red meat about a month ago and just added it back in to my diet. Kind of bummed because my blood pressure this week was FINALLY 120/65 and it seems like cutting out red meat was the big factor in it going down. 

Next week my doc wants me to start a 2 protein shakes a day followed by a pimped out salad routine. Have any of you guys had success with weightloss shakes? I'm researching brands right now (since I'm in the US I doubt we'd have the same brands) and it seems like Herbalife is a good one.

Good luck with your blood tests, Abielle!

If you'd rather not eat red meat, see if there are any other foods you could eat which would increase iron in your diet.  There are iron-fortified cereals, green leafy veg (kale esp.), and beans & lentils, which all help, and wouldn't adversely affect your blood pressure.

I've not tried weight-loss shakes, so can't help you there. :)

16 hours ago, Onion Budgie said:

As for the iron, the doc believes it's diet related.  I know that I'm eating more iron as a veggie than I ever was as an omni, so I guess my system has been trying to play catch-up this past year, and failing.  I hope the pills sort me (us both!) out.

The pills will surely do the trick :yes: My iron level's already improved, and I'm sure that when I go and have another test done next week, it's gone up again. At least I hope so! I'm sure it'll work for you too! :)   If you know it's diet related, it's just a matter of being very meticulous about what you eat. I think it's more difficult being a vegetarian, but it's totally doable, and I'm sure you've already done a lot of research about it. I hope your system will catch up to its normal iron levels itself soon enough :)

15 hours ago, AbielleRose said:

Well done, Onion Budgie! I have to go in on Monday for Iron and Magnesium blood tests because my doc thinks I'm low and that's contributing to my leg/foot pain. I gave up red meat about a month ago and just added it back in to my diet. Kind of bummed because my blood pressure this week was FINALLY 120/65 and it seems like cutting out red meat was the big factor in it going down. 

This iron deficiency's a small epidemy on the forum! :empathy:   Like Onion Budgie said, there are ways to get your iron intake of the day without going back to red meat, if that's what you choose to do. Personally I decided to go back to red meat, and I'm now eating more liver, too. 

If you do keep on eating red meat, there's ways to get your blood pressure down otherwise. Adding potassium to your diet would seem to do a lot for you, as Onion Budgie would know to tell you. 

15 hours ago, AbielleRose said:

Next week my doc wants me to start a 2 protein shakes a day followed by a pimped out salad routine. Have any of you guys had success with weightloss shakes? I'm researching brands right now (since I'm in the US I doubt we'd have the same brands) and it seems like Herbalife is a good one.

Are you looking for weightloss shakes in particular or just protein shakes? Over here, as more people have started going to the gym and fitness has become a bit of a trend for some people, people have started buying protein powder and either adding that to their food or just mixing it to water or milk. It's not only for the really big muscled body builders anymore. Over here we have a lot of different protein powders with a bunch of different flavors to make it taste better. You could try something like that, if you liked, and add fruit/berries/vegetables in the mix :)     Or then you could put quark in a mixer with milk or some juice, and add fruit/berries/vegetables to that.   

• 4 weeks later...

I decided that this year it was time to do something about my weight.  I've always struggled with diets when I have tried them, but for a few years I'd been hearing about the fast (5:2) diet, where you eat a very restricted diet two days a week and can eat what you want for the other five days of the week, so a few months ago I started looking into it more, and I know someone who'd followed it successfully, so decided that I'd try it.  

I've got a long, long way to go yet, but I've got into a routine now, and I'm finding that I'm gradually losing my appetite for sweet, sugary things, and I'm much happier eating healthier foods.  I do still have the odd piece of cake or pastry, but I don't crave them any more, and given the option, I'd go for something savoury and healthier.  The fast days are difficult, but I've tried to make them days when I know I'll be busy, so won't have too much time to dwell on the fact I might feel hungry, but just drinking plenty of water on those days makes you full and helps immensely.  It also helps that I can tell myself that it's only one day and I can have something nice tomorrow! :D  I even managed to have two fast days when I was on holiday, and it didn't feel like too much of a hardship.  I've been following it for 11 weeks now, and I've lost 15lb.

Well done Chesilbeach,

I think we all need to find our own way of dealing with losing weight, it is not easy and can be so expensive to follow with all the fresh fruits, salads and vegetables.

I have been on my what I call healthy eating diet and following slimming world rules and lost 2 stone in 17 weeks on this one. I started mine because of going on holiday abroad for two weeks in May and needed to lose some weight and was very happy with the result.  Now that I am back I will be going back on it again to try and loose a bit more. But not putting myself under pressure.

• 2 weeks later...

Congrats to both of you ladies for the losses.

Claire, that diet sounds a bit scary, I'm very wary of letting my body go into starvation mode because that's meant to make it harder to lose weight. I'm glad it's working for you though, as Shirley says, it really is about finding what works for you.

At the moment, I'm trying to eat a bit healthier Mon-Fri and then eat what I want on Sat-Sun. On top of that, I've started using the exercise bike at home. I have a goal of 20-30 mins (approx 6.5-10km and 200-300 calories, according to the bike!) I normally hate exercise, but I love exercise that allows me to stop whenever I want (as I'm more inclined to push myself an extra bit) and which also allows me to be unselfconscious of all the sweat I'm spraying around the room as I furiously pedal! So in turn, creating that 'calorie credit' as I call it of a few hundred a day makes me NOT want to waste that on a single muffin or similar. The result being, I look at chocolate and go, 'no, if I eat you, I've undone 30 mins of work', and I don't want to eat it. Well, I do, but I feel better about not eating it! :lol:

31 minutes ago, Nollaig said:

Claire, that diet sounds a bit scary, I'm very wary of letting my body go into starvation mode because that's meant to make it harder to lose weight. I'm glad it's working for you though, as Shirley says, it really is about finding what works for you.

If it was just a fad diet, I wouldn't touch it with a barge pole, but there is a lot of scientific research gone into it, and how it's actually a natural state for humans going back to when we were hunter gatherers and would have low calorie intakes between successful hunting feasts.  I've watched the documentary and read a few books on the subject, and I'm confident that it's not going to cause any damage to me.  Starvation mode will make it hard to lose weight if you do a sustained fast/very low calorie diet, as the metabolism adapts to it's a new routine, but doing only one day at a time and then eating normally again for two or three days afterwards doesn't have the same effect.

I think for me, I have confidence that it's working in that I'm only losing weight at 0.5-2lbs per week, so not too fast, but consistent.  There are other health benefits associated with the diet as well, as it's supposed to decrease blood pressure and help with blood sugar levels, and also to not reduce muscle mass, only fat, so all of that sounds good to me.  You are absolutely right though, in that everyone has to find what works for them - sounds like your healthy eating and exercise is working for you!

Here we have three people all doing a different way of losing weight but finding that it works for us. Non of us are the same, we all having different lives and things that puts pressure on us.  I do eat chocolate, biscuits and crisps but they are classed as my syns for the day and I don't exceed my weekly allowance.  I eat very well but sometimes get fed up of eating but I know if I don't the weight will not come off, and that will have been a wasted week.

Summer is nearly here and I already feel so much better for it.

There are different forms of fasting, and that's exactly right, Shirley, every individual is different and has things that work for them.  I usually do the 16/8 method of 'intermittent fasting,' and eat strictly between the hours of 10a-6p every day.  I don't really concentrate on calories, but rather on ratios of protein, fat and veggies at each meal.  I'm trying to lose a good amount of weight before my trip at the end of August so I'm being very strict with myself and do not eat carbs.  I've been off them for 2 weeks and I feel great so I just want to keep going.

After a few months of having problems with my asthma, I'm now on a different medication and it's made a huge difference.  For the first time in ages, I've managed to get back to walking properly and met the 10,000 steps target!  I'd taken just over 9,000 steps on Friday, and fell just short of the target, so was determined to make it today.  And, I haven't had to use my inhaler once and not even felt remotely breathless.  If only I didn't have to go to work, I'd be able to do this more often - fingers crossed for that lottery win, eh? :lol:

• 3 weeks later...

Just wondering if anyone has tried yoga? I'm thinking of giving it a go (from a book, rather than going to a class) as it is supposed to help with stress/anxiety as well as physical health. I've been watching some You Tube videos....they make it look so easy, but I'm not very limber!! :lol:

On 9.7.2017 at 8:04 PM, bobblybear said:

Just wondering if anyone has tried yoga? I'm thinking of giving it a go (from a book, rather than going to a class) as it is supposed to help with stress/anxiety as well as physical health. I've been watching some You Tube videos....they make it look so easy, but I'm not very limber!! :lol:

I've been curious about it, but I wouldn't want to do it in class because I'm not limber at all and lack strength. But doing it on my own is scarier, in case I do it wrong and break myself 😀

2 hours ago, frankie said:

I've been curious about it, but I wouldn't want to do it in class because I'm not limber at all and lack strength. But doing it on my own is scarier, in case I do it wrong and break myself 😀

:lol: That's why I don't want to go to a class. My yoga mat arrived the other day, and the book arrived this morning, so now I'm committed. :lol: I will let you know how I get on....:blush:

1 hour ago, bobblybear said:

:lol: That's why I don't want to go to a class. My yoga mat arrived the other day, and the book arrived this morning, so now I'm committed. :lol: I will let you know how I get on....:blush:

You could even video it! I wouldn't mind watching :lol:  For educational purposes.

Edited by frankie

I've tried more diets than you can shake a stick at.  Yes, I lost weight, but it came back.  What every expert in the field says is Right!  You have to change your way of eating and thinking about food.  Your diet has to be something you know you can live with for the rest of your life.  It ain't easy!

I think, at the ripe old age of 67 I have hit on The Method.  Eat smaller meals, fewer meals, and no, or hardly any sweets.

Yes, I still eat a few Dove chocolates, one can't give up everything:D 

I have lost 27 pounds in 7 and a half months.  Yeah, its slow, but it is sure.  Plus it's a diet I can keep indefinitely.

Edited by pontalba

On ‎17‎/‎6‎/‎2017 at 5:53 PM, chesilbeach said:

After a few months of having problems with my asthma, I'm now on a different medication and it's made a huge difference.  For the first time in ages, I've managed to get back to walking properly and met the 10,000 steps target!  I'd taken just over 9,000 steps on Friday, and fell just short of the target, so was determined to make it today.  And, I haven't had to use my inhaler once and not even felt remotely breathless.  If only I didn't have to go to work, I'd be able to do this more often - fingers crossed for that lottery win, eh? :lol:

That is such good news Chesilbeach, I know I had problems before I got my asthma under control.

On ‎18‎/‎7‎/‎2017 at 8:05 AM, pontalba said:

I think, at the ripe old age of 67 I have hit on The Method.  Eat smaller meals, fewer meals, and no, or hardly any sweets.

I have lost 27 pounds in 7 and a half months.  Yeah, its slow, but it is sure.  Plus it's a diet I can keep indefinitely.

Keep it up Pontalba.  they do say the slower it comes off the better and that is a good loss.

I have just reached 31 lbs loss since the middle of January.  I started doing it originally to go on holiday in may and since I got back just continued with it.  I am doing slimming world as I find this suits my way of life.

On 15/07/2017 at 6:55 PM, bobblybear said:

Good luck with your yoga bobbly! I'm not into yoga, but I can see how its like a physical meditation that would benefit your mind. I'll stick to my mental meditations though I think, I'm not bendy enough for yoga! :lol:

On 18/07/2017 at 8:05 AM, pontalba said:

I've tried more diets than you can shake a stick at.  Yes, I lost weight, but it came back.  What every expert in the field says is Right!  You have to change your way of eating and thinking about food.  Your diet has to be something you know you can live with for the rest of your life.  It ain't easy!

it is very true. All the years I've been on this forum I've always sworn I would lose weight and due to a number of reasons I never kept it up. I'm finally in a situation where I'm being supported in making lifestyle changes. I still need to work on lessening the junk food, but I'm doing pretty well on the lunch front (eating packed lunches, not buying hot chicken rolls and jambons) and dinner front (it helps when you're cooking for two.) As well as that, I'm getting pretty good at doing the exercise bike 5 or 6 days a week, so the extra calories I burn off on that give me motivation to keep the calories down. I'm thoroughly enjoying what food I do eat, and we still have things like lasagne, burgers, pizza, just in moderation with things like fish, eggs, and veggies. And we still have chocolate at weekends.

On 18.7.2017 at 10:05 AM, pontalba said:

On 19.7.2017 at 5:42 PM, shirley said:

I have just reached 31 lbs loss since the middle of January.  I started doing it originally to go on holiday in may and since I got back just continued with it.  I am doing slimming world as I find this suits my way of life.

Well done, both of you!! :clapping::clapping:  :yahoo: