Health and Fitness

Kylie

Shame on the doc for not keeping you informed, frankie.  :(  At least you know what's what now.

I've found that eating a bowl of fortified cereal such as All Bran every day helps enormously with iron levels.  A bowl of All Bran, for example, contains about a third of your daily requirement, as well as providing a ton of fibre, B12 and Folate.  Keeps you regular, too.  :lol:

• Replies 339
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Shame on the doc for not keeping you informed, frankie.   :(  At least you know what's what now.

I've found that eating a bowl of fortified cereal such as All Bran every day helps enormously with iron levels.  A bowl of All Bran, for example, contains about a third of your daily requirement, as well as providing a ton of fibre, B12 and Folate.  Keeps you regular, too.   :lol:

But where to get the rest, the two thirds :D  I used to have cereal every morning, nowadays I have porridge... I'll need to look into iron rich food for sure! 

Do you know why the levels are that low though?  That's what really needs to be addressed.  Hope you get some information soon and feel better.

No, but that's why I'll be contacting a doctor at some point. In the meantime I'll need to go to the pharmacy to get the iron supplements as soon as I've recovered from the flu and can manage to get out and about :) 

Thanks for the well wishes, everyone  :flowers2:

Hope you get is sorted soon frankie, when I had low iron levels (third pregnancy!) my health visitor recommended a couple of squares of dark chocolate everyday and it worked a treat, add to that some cruciferous veg (spinach, broccoli etc) and maybe some red meat (ideally offal) and you'll hopefully be fine! Be warned that the iron supplements not only taste revolting but contain lots of crappy, synthetic ingredients! You may be able to resource one with food grade ingredients?

Oh, and you probably know if you have too much you will become constipated so make sure you take some Vitamin C with it! :o 

Hope you get is sorted soon frankie, when I had low iron levels (third pregnancy!) my health visitor recommended a couple of squares of dark chocolate everyday and it worked a treat, add to that some cruciferous veg (spinach, broccoli etc) and maybe some red meat (ideally offal) and you'll hopefully be fine! Be warned that the iron supplements not only taste revolting but contain lots of crappy, synthetic ingredients! You may be able to resource one with food grade ingredients?

Ooh, dark chocolate :D That would be nice! But how does one not eat up the whole thing :(  Will be tricky!  I've actually started eating spinach by accident, I just one day felt like having some and have bought it since. I really like it :)  

I wonder if my cutting down on red meat might have something to do with the whole thing... I eat chicken instead. If  needed, I'll go back to red meat. I think I'll also have a bit of liver every now and then. I liked it as a teenager. 

I've had iron supplements before so I don't mind the taste.... I think the food thing will take me time to get used to and get right, so I'm totally going to go for the supplements for at least one month, to make sure. 

Oh, and you probably know if you have too much you will become constipated so make sure you take some Vitamin C with it! :o

Actually I didn't know that :D Wow! Luckily I take vitamin C pretty regularly so that shouldn't be a problem. 

Thanks for the tips!  :flowers2:   :flowers2:

• 2 weeks later...

Since I moved to my new house, I've gone from a 10 minute walk to work to an 18-25 minute walk, depending on which route I take. I can also get the bus, and have been doing that a lot, but I want to start walking more because health :roll:

On the upside, there's a shop on the 25 minute route, so I did that today and bought some grapes (to replace the daily chocolate muffin I have at teabreak.)

Small steps, and more 'standard' for most people than 'overly healthly', but they're steps for me. :)

Im planning on trying to loose 2/3 stone this year :) Im as heavy as I was after having little one and as hes three this year I cant really use that as an excuse anymore! We also want to have another baby next year and as I put on three stone while I was pregnant before if i did that again from my weight now Id be having serious problems!

We are doing healthy eating and cutting take aways right down to less than one a week - when we were in the caravan e ate a lot of takeaway as it was easier than cooking in a tiny space. We have also started smoothies as its in the evenings I struggle not to pick eat. The first week i managed to loose 2lb so off to a good start!

Fingers crossed that both me and OH can stick to it as he wants to loose a couple of stone too!

Good luck Laura, sounds like you are off to a good start! What are you making your smoothies with? I use coconut water instead of juice to keep the suagr levels down. I fancy one now but just had a big brunch ( I now only eat 2 meals a day, when I'm not working anyway, and fast from early eve to late morning where possible).

I think January is the time that we all - well lots of us start thinking about trying to cut down a bit.  I have been on my healthy eating for the last two weeks and after getting weighed this morning have lost 7 lbs from the two weeks.  Which is good for the first two weeks but I know it will slow down from now on. 

When I go on my health eating I love it because I have structure and have to plan my meals and buy in what I need.  Otherwise I just eat anything and if I cannot be bothered we get a takeaway, that is when the weight starts to creep on as it has done. 

Good job I like fruit and vegetables.

I've just switched doctors, and I had an appointment with the nurse this afternoon so that she could run the usual new patient checks.  Height, weight, blood pressure, etc.

Well, apparently I'm an inch shorter than I thought I was, and my blood pressure is a little higher than it should be!  Phooey!  

I'm not so worried about the height (actually, I am -- that means that my BMI is higher than I thought it was), but I'm narked about the blood pressure.  Since I turned vegetarian last year and changed my way of eating, along with regular exercise, weight loss, and drinking less, I didn't think there would be a problem.  I have to go back to the docs in a month for a follow-up check.  As it's only a little higher than normal, maybe I can get away with natural remedies, rather than meds.  Because if doctors can prescribe meds for any little thing, then they're sure as heck eager to.   :D

Never mind.  Onward and upward!

Edited by Onion Budgie

Thanks, Athena.  :)  My last blood pressure check was over 20 years ago.  It was normal way back then.  I guess it's been gradually rising over that period of time, rather than all at once.

Ah Madeleine, and what made it worse for me was that the nurse miscalculated when she converted the cms into feet and inches.  She initially told me I was 5'9", and I was so surprised and pleased.  I thought I was 5'7".  Then "Oops, no, I made a mistake, actually you're 5'6"."  :lol:

I'm cutting out salt from my diet as much as I can, and lowering the booze even further.  *sniffle*  Let's see if that makes any difference in a month.

I've taken them iron pills for a while now, and I've been eating more iron-ic (:giggle2:) food. And I've just made an appointment with a doctor to sort me out, so that's all I can do at the moment :) I don't like going to the doctor, but it's got to be done. :) 

I have lost 6.5 lbs! So happy!!! Well, will have to be really good then next few days til my next weigh in because not been good this weekend. I want to lose quite a few more but at least it's in the right direction.

Well done, Lau_Lou! :smile2: You've had a great start and so you know how to continue, and I'm sure you now have the sufficient motivation and inspiration :smile2: Keep it up! 

I am now on a twice daily treadmill routine. Have been for the past 6 months.

Wow, that's great :)  I'd be too lazy for that!

Now that I've conquered my flues and next week should be warmer than this week, I really should try and get into some sort of exercise routine. I really do want to get more fit. I just get really lazy when I don't have a friend with whom to go for a walk or something. 

I am now on a twice daily treadmill routine. Have been for the past 6 months.

That's brill! Keep up the good work :)

Well done, Lau_Lou! :smile2: You've had a great start and so you know how to continue, and I'm sure you now have the sufficient motivation and inspiration :smile2: Keep it up

thank you so much :)

Normally on tea break at work I get a chocolate muffin, which is pretty much all I have in the way of 'breakfast'. I used to also buy wraps or sausage rolls/jambons for lunch. Yesterday and today, I've brought grapes with me to replace the muffin, and a homemade sandwich for lunch. I need to be careful with money until I get paid, so that's my main motivation, but it was pretty easy yesterday not to cave and buy a muffin, so hopefully I'll keep it up. It'll be good to save the money - I can do my grapes and sandwiches for the week on the cost of the muffins alone.

It's a small change, but I've been making small changes over time so hopefully it will stick.

Small changes like that can be the key.  I know it's more difficult when you have to go out to work every day and want to grab something quickly. 

Soft drinks (rootbeer, colas) are the hardest for me, but I've managed to almost cut them out entirely since last November.  I've only had a few, and that's when we're out.  I don't buy them for the house.  Haven't had any cake, and only a few cookies and an occasional small piece of chocolate.  We've both lost 13 pounds since the end of November.  So, that's around a pound a week, and I'm satisfied with that. 

Just smaller meals, but we have what we want.....just not a plateful. :)  This is the type of diet that can be kept, there are no real forbidden foods.  Just the sensible no cake rule. hah.  /sigh/  I had to give up a lot of sweets anyhow, as I'm just on the border of diabetes.  Bleegh! 

Yeah finally hit the 1 stone mark this morning at my weigh in. Mind you it coming off slowly is probably the best way to go.  It took 7 weeks to lose the stone so looking forward to my next milestone.

Can certainly notice with my clothes are feeling so much looser.  Will feel so much better when I can go out for long walks, I don't think it ever stops raining.