Health and Fitness

Kylie

Everything's fattening if one eats too much of it (well, except for things like cucumber). The thing is to keep the amount of avocado in proportion with one's calories. Avocado's really healthy, I hear. It's the one with 'good fats' or something like that. Chalie says it best :D

You mean, everything that's worth eating is fattening :D Another problem I have with avocado is that Alan won't eat it .. he says it's like eating soap and why would he want to do that!!  :roll2: and then it oxidises when cut so I don't find it keeps well. It's high maintenance as I said and one of us in the house is enough :D

Where do you keep the scales? When have you changed the battery the last time?

They're fairly new .. only bought them last summer so I think the battery is okay though I mentioned it to Al but he wasn't convinced as he has no trouble with the readings at all (in a bizarre turn around because every other set of scales we've had wouldn't give him a settled reading .. they always flashed continually and we put it down to the fact that he's tall and sways a bit.) They're on the bathroom floor .. which is tiled and so pretty perfect for scales. I have tried taking them to other rooms (with wooden floors etc) but .. still the same.

I'd recommend those shoe spike thingies to put under your shoes. I don't know how expensive they are and if you think it's icy often enough for you to need them....

Yes, now my Dad mentioned those to me yesterday on the phone. I always mean to get them .. but by the time I find out where from we're in Spring and I think .. I'll get them next year  :blush2: I get nervy by a little amount of ice so I think they'd be worth the expense and I don't think they're that pricey. I just need to get organised.

Boy that smoothie looks delicious Kylie .. I love pineapple and coconut and Pina Coladas so definitely going to try it :)

• Replies 339
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

One needs fats whether one's dieting or not. I might be wrong but unless one has those good fats, one might start losing hair... And I would personally love to have thick hair :wub:

Totally but I do eat some good fats .. I eat a lot of nuts, oily fish and always cook with olive oil so it's just additional fats I'm wary of. If I can cut a thing out I will .. and avocado comes under that heading. Cheese ought to come under that heading but often it escapes and joins the 'things I can't live without' list  :blush2: 

Butter and milk ditto.

Emoticons culled... :(

Do you go out straight away without having a small snack, and don't eat until dinner (or dinner prepping time)? I would recommend a small healthy snack when you get home and before you take off with Reuben  

Everything's fattening if one eats too much of it (well, except for things like cucumber ). The thing is to keep the amount of avocado in proportion with one's calories. Avocado's really healthy, I hear. It's the one with 'good fats' or something like that. Chalie says it best  

I'd recommend those shoe spike thingies to put under your shoes. I don't know how expensive they are and if you think it's icy often enough for you to need them....

I agree, small snacks before walks, if I don't do that I pig on all the convenient bad stuff when I get in regardless of how soon dinner will be ready!! :(

Steve bought me some ice thingies for my boots but haven't used them yet as we had such a mild winter last year and nothing to speak of yet this year.. I think he got them from a garden centre...

I've bought some nuts recently, and I do find them quite filling and a good idea to have a handful of them when I'm feeling peckish. I've also been having bigger breakfasts lately which stops me snacking mid-morning at work. And if I do have a snack usually an apple does the trick.

I think I'm going to start doing that. I've noticed that I'm less hungry at that time of day, now that I've started having a bigger breakfast (which makes no sense at all, given that breakfast was about 12 hours earlier  ).

Nuts and seeds mixed in a big spoonful of natural yogurt is very filling too, and with some coconut I can almost convince myself it is a sweet treat!  :blush2:  Good breakfasts are definitely key for me and I'll quite often have bacon, tomato and spinach fried in coconut oil (more good fats!) with poached eggs, you could grill them obviously if you prefer.. well maybe not the spinach.. not sure what would heppen with that! 

It looks magical! I would definitely buy lots of fresh pineapple if I could use this! It looks great. I'll definitely have a look around for one here. Thanks!

And thanks for the coconut advice. I've seen it mentioned in a few recipes but didn't want to use any if there was any chance I could use my desiccated coconut. The Pina Colada recipe mentioned soaking the coconut in water first, although I don't think I should really have to do that? It's probably just as well that I didn't add it if it's a thickening agent, as my smoothie is already quick thick (probably because I didn't add enough water   ).

Thanks! Do you think it's OK to leave the leftover smoothie in the fridge for a day or two? I've covered it with glad-wrap just in case, but will it be OK?

I put desicated coconut in everything! Homemade granola, seed bars, smoothies, yogurt and even the occasional cheaeky ice cream! :D  The smoothie will be fine in the fridge thought will become thinner as you used ice, may need a stir if the ingredients separate, you could mix in the cocnut then if you wanted to give it a try? :)

I've thought of doing that, and if I were single I would. But husband is so bloody fussy, and he gets funny about eating leftovers.   I've got no problem with leftovers and often take them to work the next day.

Maybe your hubby and my kids could have dinner together and we can share leftovers... bloody fussy kids! :D 

Yes .. I know they're good for you. It's just when I'm dieting I tend to cut down on fats .. unless they are in foods on my 'must have' list which of course includes cake and chocolate and all the things full of the non-good-for-you fats   .. I do only have them occasionally though as treats.

I agree with bobbs though .. avocados are very high maintenance  

Gadget girl has a gadget for avocadoes too! :D http://www.lakeland.co.uk/16511/OXO-Good-Grips-3-in-1-Avocado-Tool .. I don't actually use it that much but it does work and makes it look nice if you are preparing for others.. I just hack at it till it's all out! :D

All these talk is making me want to eat... No, wait, it's actually meal-time for me, and am thus rightly hungry. Wohoo!

So, what did you have? Avocado??????? :D

You mean, everything that's worth eating is fattening Another problem I have with avocado is that Alan won't eat it .. he says it's like eating soap and why would he want to do that!!  and then it oxidises when cut so I don't find it keeps well. It's high maintenance as I said and one of us in the house is enough 

They are a love it or loathe it food I think.. my eldest will only eat them with copious amounts of prawns and that pink sauce .. I can't remmeber the name and am too lazy to look it up. It'll come to me....... No it hasn't!   :blush2:  

Totally but I do eat some good fats .. I eat a lot of nuts, oily fish and always cook with olive oil so it's just additional fats I'm wary of. If I can cut a thing out I will .. and avocado comes under that heading. Cheese ought to come under that heading but often it escapes and joins the 'things I can't live without' list  

Butter and milk ditto.

Sounds like you eat lots of good stuff, you can manage without avocados, I keep meaning to try avocado oil but want to source a good one.. Oh, for a good deli nearby!!

Sounds like you eat lots of good stuff, you can manage without avocados, I keep meaning to try avocado oil but want to source a good one.. Oh, for a good deli nearby!!

I tell you when I love to eat it .. when out at a restaurant or something .. then they have all the faff of preparing it and also they've usually come up with a more delicious way of serving it than I ever would. Was it Marie Rose sauce? :D Delicious stuff that is!

I tell you when I love to eat it .. when out at a restaurant or something .. then they have all the faff of preparing it and also they've usually come up with a more delicious way of serving it than I ever would. Was it Marie Rose sauce? :D Delicious stuff that is!

That would be it!  I'm never quite sure what it is made off and I'd probably best never check or I might decide never to eat it again!  Whenever I go to Bills (do you have one of those where you are?) I ALWAYS have the bacon and avocado salad, loads of avocado and so so tasty!!  :jump:

That would be it!  I'm never quite sure what it is made off and I'd probably best never check or I might decide never to eat it again!  Whenever I go to Bills (do you have one of those where you are?) I ALWAYS have the bacon and avocado salad, loads of avocado and so so tasty!!  :jump:

I love the bacon and avocado combo .. just gorgeous. Haven't got a Bill's (or have I? .. will look it up) .. I'm being denied good food!!  :mad:

Edit:  Ooh there's one in Cheltenham .. that's not far at all :D

Edited by poppyshake

I love the bacon and avocado combo .. just gorgeous. Haven't got a Bill's (or have I? .. will look it up) .. I'm being denied good food!!  :mad:

Edit:  Ooh there's one in Cheltenham .. that's not far at all :D

I love it there and normally persuade friends, family to meet me there for regular lunches!!! They sell marmalade too...  :giggle:

:D Yes ... I'm over it now.

I might well go to Bill's then for a birthday treat. It depends if Alan wants wine because if he does we'll have to walk somewhere more local but if he fancies driving out somewhere then Bill's is the place!

You'll have to give me some food recommendations Hayley .. apart from the avocado starter I mean. I've seen the menu .. it all looks scrum!

You might have to put it in spoiler tags though .. for fear of sending this thread into meltdown :D 

I have it as a main course option so there is more to love but they do have it as a starter.. Friends have enjoyed the regular and naked burgers and I and a friend did very much enjoy the Sea Bass.. I've not tried the puddings so you'll have to enjoy one for me! I've had a halloumi starter which was divine too!!

Emoticons removed.

I finally made my first smoothie tonight! I followed a recipe from the book I received with the blender.

I'm so glad your first smoothie was delicious :)!

Congrats, Athena, that's great! :smile2:

Thanks, Frankie :)

Frankie is an expert on scales. As I recall, it was she who told me that you should use the scales on a hard surface (like tiles) to get a more accurate reading.  :yes:

Thanks! Do you think it's OK to leave the leftover smoothie in the fridge for a day or two? I've covered it with glad-wrap just in case, but will it be OK?

That is a good point! Though I have to say, some of our tiles of the old floor are a bit uneven, leading to different results sometimes depending on where we position the scales.

It will be okay :)! You should be able to keep it for a few days in the fridge. Something like a wrap or cling film or a lid on it, that is advisable. 

Of course, I could also just exercise some willpower and wait for the 30 minutes or so it takes to cook a meal, but sometimes it just makes me so cranky. :blush2:

I have this too sometimes!

You mean, everything that's worth eating is fattening. Another problem I have with avocado is that Alan won't eat it .. he says it's like eating soap and why would he want to do that!!   and then it oxidises when cut so I don't find it keeps well. It's high maintenance as I said and one of us in the house is enough 

Um... yes, everything that's worth eating is fattening :blush::D All joking aside, sometimes when I've fully realized that I've been really unhealthy once again, I've had to think of food as a fuel to my temple  :drama: It's helped! And when I've cut down on the fatty things, the healthy things actually taste better than they did before. I still remember the time when I was losing a lot of weight (by eating healthy and exercising) and I'd been so very good that when I treated myself to some pizza, it tasted gross because of all the fat :o I hadn't expected to not like the taste of pizza! 

Has Alan tasted avocado only as itself, or has he tasted it in some food/salad? I loathe the taste of avocado just by itself but it's incredibly how it can bring and suck flavor!

About avocado and oxidizing... Does anyone know what's the rule about avocados when one's cut one open? How long will they keep in the fridge? Are the brown spots a sign that it's gone off, or is it just coloring that doesn't really matter and it's still good? This is something I truly don't know. 

They're fairly new .. only bought them last summer so I think the battery is okay though I mentioned it to Al but he wasn't convinced as he has no trouble with the readings at all (in a bizarre turn around because every other set of scales we've had wouldn't give him a settled reading .. they always flashed continually and we put it down to the fact that he's tall and sways a bit.) They're on the bathroom floor .. which is tiled and so pretty perfect for scales. I have tried taking them to other rooms (with wooden floors etc) but .. still the same.

I cannot understand what the heck is wrong with your scales =( Take it back and take a crucifix and garlic with you and tell the clerks that you want a good one!! 

Totally but I do eat some good fats .. I eat a lot of nuts, oily fish and always cook with olive oil so it's just additional fats I'm wary of. If I can cut a thing out I will .. and avocado comes under that heading. Cheese ought to come under that heading but often it escapes and joins the 'things I can't live without' list 

Butter and milk ditto.

Ah, well if you're eating good fats already, then it doesn't matter, I don't think =)

I wish I could buy different sorts of nuts and keep a bag at home at all time and just limit myself to eating a few a day, by the way. But no. If I've bought some, I eat them all :(

So, what did you have? Avocado??????? 

Yes :blush::D I've bought another one! I first went to a different store but all of theirs were not ready, and I couldn't just buy a bunch and wait for them to be ripe, so I had to go back to the other store where they had a bunch that were already ripe for eating :blush::giggle2:

I'm currently having problems: I've realized the main thing I should worry about is finally finishing my uni degree. Which is stressing. Which means I want to shove all kinds of things in my face. :rolleyes: How to be good at both uni work and diet and exercise. That is the problem! I shall have to try and keep up with the diet, and I've also thought about going for a daily walk at 6 PM when my favorite radio show is on. Didn't happen today, though... There's always tomorrow! 

I'm currently having problems: I've realized the main thing I should worry about is finally finishing my uni degree. Which is stressing. Which means I want to shove all kinds of things in my face. :rolleyes: How to be good at both uni work and diet and exercise. That is the problem! I shall have to try and keep up with the diet, and I've also thought about going for a daily walk at 6 PM when my favorite radio show is on. Didn't happen today, though... There's always tomorrow!

I'm so sorry to hear you are stressed :(. How far are you with your degree? It is difficult to work on a lot of things at once, I'm having the same problem. I wish I could advise you but I have a similar problem so if I knew how to 'fix' it I would've done so already. I guess you can try and concentrate on all three, but don't beat yourself up too much if you slip up sometimes. A daily walk sounds like a good idea :).

Thanks Athena! The one good thing about the stress is that something snapped in me last weekend and early this week and it's made me determined to do the paper now, and if I concentrate on it, I should be over and done with it by the end of next week. Well I've set myself a timeline actually, I want to be finished by 13.2., Friday. (My friend's partner is graduating from school next week and my friend's going to throw him a surprise party and she's having it at my place because they don't have the room and I do! I'm very excited about it, this friend is one of my close ones and we go way back, and ever since I moved to Espoo I've met her BF a few times now and he's really nice and funny, so I'm happy to be able to offer my apartment for their benefit! :) I've also met some of his friends and his Dad and they are all a fun bunch so I'm looking forward to the day!)

After I've finished the paper I only need to write two short essays, one of which I've almost written already, I just need to finish it up. After that all I have to do is wait for the results and then go and do a sort of 'exam' on the paper I've written. So there's really not that much to do! I've just made a big thing out of it in my head over a long period of time and I've had a lot of anxiety about it but now I think I'm able to get it done. 

The good thing is that realistically thinking I should be able to do all this during this week and the next and then I'm stress-free! It's going to be a huge weight off my shoulders and I can finally think ahead. And if I F up with my diet and exercise for two weeks, it's not the end of the world. I need to prioritize. :)

I hope you can figure out your own problem, too, and get rid of that stress!  :empathy:

Edited by frankie

I treated myself to some pizza, it tasted gross because of all the fat :o I hadn't expected to not like the taste of pizza! 

Oh lord, I know that feeling!  I went for so long without having a pizza that it made me feel ill when I next had one.  I hardly ever have cheese now, so it's a real shock to the system when I eat something like that.  The last few times I've been in Pizza Express I've had either a Caesar salad or a tuna salad instead of pizza :o  :giggle2:

Edited by Karsa Orlong

I wonder will that happen to me? Not planning on eating any pizza any time soon, but I'm sure I'll eat it again in the future. I suspect my stomach might object after a while of going without, but I think I'll still love the taste.

I really like pizza :blush2:. I love it when we bake it ourselves, then we can totally decide what we want on it. It's a lot of work though. We made pizza ourselves last week, for the first time since we moved into the bakery (so since last July), for our anniversary.

I do try to eat cheese regularly, not only do I like certain kinds of cheese (young Dutch cheese, mainly), but I need to get my calcium from somewhere since I don't drink milk (I used to be lactose intolerant, nowadays I still really don't like the taste of milk on its own).

I'm not pizza's biggest fan but occasionally have it and enjoy it. Prefer to eat it out though as it's a bit temperamental .. leave it five secs too long and you may as well eat the box it came in :D 

Not so keen on molten cheese either .. or tomato. Once had to eat it when I had a gigantic mouth ulcer  :o  :cry2: I think I cried for a week. 

If you ever have a mouth ulcer .. big or small .. don't eat pizza .. or tomato sauce of any kind.

I use a multivitamin-mineral supplement. I don't get enough of certain minerals and vitamins from my diet. My iron for example was quite low before I started to take the tablets (as were some other ones). Taking the tablets made me feel better. I'm still taking them though not always every day (I do try, though).