Health and Fitness

Kylie

The trouble with January .. for us Northern Hemisphereans .. is that it's freezing and ideally you want to stay indoors and nibble at things :D The body actually WANTS to put on weight too .. as insulation. It definitely doesn't want to lose any anyway. Mine is very annoyed with me every time it has to face salad  :D 

• Replies 339
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Haha, insulation! :D My body should not be wanting to create any of that, because there's plenty there already :rolleyes::D 

I've been good this week, eating healthy stuff and getting exercise. I'm going out tonight, though. Only a few ciders, and tiny bit of choccy and/or cheese puffs (or what are they called). Then I'm fine to carry on for another week! :)

Well I have recently joined a gym again for the first time in about a year and a half. I did a lot of zumba before that, twice a week very intensely, but due to meds (antidepressants) I had to stop, side effects gave me zero muscle power and shaky legs plus very bad balance. Meds are gone for months now, and have put on weight since my life is still not back on track. I have a healthy BMI but don't like my body shape, so I'd like to lose 7-10 kg. Eating more healthy would help, or at least stop with the sweets. ;) But stress makes me eat bad things, always been like that. So when my life is back on track (hopefully soon, applied for an internship at the university), and I am finishing my studies I will be more active and will have less time to sit at home munching bad stuff. Now I just hope the exercise will give me more energy, cause that is seriously lacking these wintermonths.

So for now, it's zumba once a week and maybe some yoga or bodyshake here and there.

How's everyone doing? I thought I'd bump this thread up :) I've been lazy this week with exercise :rolleyes: Not good!! Diet-wise I've done okay. I bought avocado for the first time ever and put some in my meal yesterday and man it was delicious! :o 

I haven't been good. I lost nearly a stone before XMas, and have put about half of it back on. Part of it is because we haven't been out for as many long walks, and the other part is that I haven't been eating healthy foods lately.

I figure I'll be good starting tomorrow (being the first day of a new month, and all that). :blush2:

I had a bad start to the week, and then my order of fruit and veg didn't arrive when it should have. I ended up receiving it a couple of days late, which threw my plans off track a bit. I had fresh fish (barramundi) for dinner tonight, and will have it again tomorrow night as well.

I feel like I'm sort of allowed to post in here now, because I'm on my 9th day of healthy eating and am visibily losing weight! I'm using unorthodox methods but I'm getting over 1200 cals a day so it'll do!

My housemates also have a crosstrainer, which is new. I might start using that, if I can figure out how to - I jumped on it for a minute today, but it has a seat, from which my legs won't stretch the full width of one 'cycle', and when I'm standing I keep going backwards :lol: Any tips would be appreciated, I'm not good with machinery! :lol:

Good luck BB, we are all behind you! What is your downfall? And what are your favourite healthy foods?

I think my downfall is boredom and laziness. :blush2:  When I get home from work, we take Reuben out straight away, and often don't get home until after 6pm. By then, I'm so hungry that we tend to go for the easy option, rather than the healthier one. Or I end up snacking while waiting for dinner to cook. :blush2: As far as favorite healthy foods.....I like some fruit (oranges, and mangoes mostly), veggies are ok (I do have some most nights). I think I have to have some pre-prepared healthy snacks that I can eat when I'm peckish, rather than crisps, etc.  :blush2:

Same problems as me, I'm terrible for snacking whilst cooking dinner! I now have Tupperware pots in the kitchen with different nuts and seeds in so am getting a bit better at eating those.. I also chop up peppers and bits and keep in the fridge next to the houmous.

At least we have the dogs to walk so we can keep fitter that way!

I know avocado is good for you but I was always under the impression that it was fattening? Perhaps I misunderstood. I love it though .. delicious .. but I've always tried to avoid when dieting. 

I think I'm doing okay .. the scales are moving in the right direction but they're also being awkward. Sometimes I stand on them and get five different readings .. and then Alan gets on and gets five readings the same  :confused: very annoying. They used to have a great big machine in Boots that would print your weight .. very humiliating but all the same .. I wish it was still there as I'd like clarification :D Personally I think they should have one outside Costa coffee that would determine whether I deserved to go in or not :D 

I hate walking if it's icy. I'm okay if I have a husband to hold on to (anyone's will do :D) but when he's not here I worry about falling etc. I see people striding out confidently in all sorts of unsuitable shoes and there I am in snow boots or something clinging on to every available lamp post/railing/stranger  :blush2: I always slip and they never do .. it's most unfair. I once fell over on my own doorstep .. hadn't even got as far as the pavement  :blush2: 

On icy days I try and walk around the house more .. jog possibly or even dance a little bit. I have had exercise bicycles, rowing machines and cross trainers .. couldn't stick at any of it. Always gave me muscle fatigue and as I suffer from that anyway it's a no-no and everyone always nagged me not to do it! Can't do things like aerobics or anything as my balance is abysmal. Walking is the only thing really .. and I do love it .. most of the time. Very trying in the winter though .. weather plays such a part. 

I know avocado is good for you but I was always under the impression that it was fattening? Perhaps I misunderstood. I love it though .. delicious .. but I've always tried to avoid when dieting. 

When I was looking up the fat/carb qualities of various fruit and veg the other day, avocado was the only one to hit double digits where the others were all very low. So yes, by comparison I think it's very fattening. (Can't remember the size portion that was measured on the list, though!)

Never tried it though!

I love avocado. And guacamole! Yum.

I had a small gain in January but I'm not worried about it. I weigh four-weekly so my next one is in two weeks. I weigh at our leisure centre. I don't have scales at home as I think it encourages weighing too often, which isn't good, because as Kay said, the results fluctuate too much and some personality types (my own included) would develop an unhealthy obsession with weighing. :)

I love avocado too. I recently bought a salad that had chicken strips, lettuce-y stuff and/or spinach and avocado. It was so nice that I've since made my own, but with roast chicken and no dressing. I prefer my salads without dressing, which probably saves me a few calories here and there.

I finally made my first smoothie tonight! I followed a recipe from the book I received with the blender.

I thought I'd post the recipe (for this and future smoothies) and a small 'review' to remind myself in the future which ones I like and which ones I should never try again!

The one I made tonight was called a Pina Colada Smoothie. The recipe called for 2 bananas, 1 orange, 2 cups of fresh pineapple, 3 tbs dried coconut, 1 cup of water, 1/2 cup of ice and sweetener as required.

It's only in reading back the recipe that I've realised I didn't add any water.  :blush2: But I added one cup of ice instead of 1/2 cup (unintentionally—it appears that I suck at reading recipes), so perhaps that made up for it a bit. I also left out the coconut because I only had desiccated coconut and wasn't sure what the difference was (does anyone know?) I didn't want to risk messing it up and I figured I could do without it. I also didn't add sweetener. So basically I just added bananas, orange, pineapple and ice. :) I guess it's a pretty basic one to start with, but it makes use of several of the ingredients I had delivered the other day.

I've never bought a fresh pineapple before. In my family we always had tinned pineapple. So now I know that it's a bit of a nuisance to prepare because of the 'eyes', which will rather put me off having this smoothie too often! Anyway, my blender worked beautifully. The book said to blend for 35 seconds, but it all seemed to be thoroughly blended in a much shorter time. The blender is relatively quiet and smooth, and there was virtually no splatter around the sides (not that it matters because you obviously have to wash the entire thing anyway). I was really impressed at how good it was. :)

Verdict: Yummy. I could definitely add this to my 'favourites' list, but only if I work out a better way to de-eye the pineapple! Also, I need to remember to pour the drink into smaller glasses, because it's really filling. This will definitely make it a great and healthy snack for when I get peckish during the day. I actually bought smaller glasses—jam jars in fact, and one of which I used as my original book jar :D—but I haven't cleaned them since buying them, so I just used my larger glasses.

I won't always post so many pics, but I wanted to document my first usage.  :blush2:

post-3835-0-82184500-1422791006_thumb.jpg  post-3835-0-61970400-1422791019_thumb.jpg  post-3835-0-22817800-1422791030_thumb.jpg

That looks lovely Kylie, a bit of rum would have made it even nicer! ;)  The desicated coconut would have been fine, I use it in smoothies all the time, as well as flavour it thickens it up a little too.  Regarding the pineapple, I agree they are a pain, I have one of these.. http://www.lakeland.co.uk/15871/Pineapple-Slicer-and-Wedger, you may be able to get one over there. I don't actually eat pineapple any more as too high sugar for paleo :( but I do occasionally treat myself! :)

I think I did okay this week, but according to the weighing scales I actually lost about 1 kg. So I'm happy with that.

Congrats, Athena, that's great! :smile2: 

I think my downfall is boredom and laziness.   When I get home from work, we take Reuben out straight away, and often don't get home until after 6pm. By then, I'm so hungry that we tend to go for the easy option, rather than the healthier one. Or I end up snacking while waiting for dinner to cook. As far as favorite healthy foods.....I like some fruit (oranges, and mangoes mostly), veggies are ok (I do have some most nights). I think I have to have some pre-prepared healthy snacks that I can eat when I'm peckish, rather than crisps, etc. 

Do you go out straight away without having a small snack, and don't eat until dinner (or dinner prepping time)? I would recommend a small healthy snack when you get home and before you take off with Reuben :yes: 

Everything's fattening if one eats too much of it (well, except for things like cucumber :D). The thing is to keep the amount of avocado in proportion with one's calories. Avocado's really healthy, I hear. It's the one with 'good fats' or something like that. Chalie says it best :D 

I think I'm doing okay .. the scales are moving in the right direction but they're also being awkward. Sometimes I stand on them and get five different readings .. and then Alan gets on and gets five readings the same   very annoying. They used to have a great big machine in Boots that would print your weight .. very humiliating but all the same .. I wish it was still there as I'd like clarification Personally I think they should have one outside Costa coffee that would determine whether I deserved to go in or not  

Where do you keep the scales? When have you changed the battery the last time?

I hate walking if it's icy. I'm okay if I have a husband to hold on to (anyone's will do ) but when he's not here I worry about falling etc. I see people striding out confidently in all sorts of unsuitable shoes and there I am in snow boots or something clinging on to every available lamp post/railing/stranger   I always slip and they never do .. it's most unfair. I once fell over on my own doorstep .. hadn't even got as far as the pavement   

I'd recommend those shoe spike thingies to put under your shoes. I don't know how expensive they are and if you think it's icy often enough for you to need them.... :shrug:

Kylie, the smoothie looks and sounds delicious :wub: Glug glug glug glug :D So happy you're getting on well with your blender!

Oh and bobblybear: if you find that by the time you get to making dinner you're so hungry that you nibble on stuff beforehand, I would suggest you could sometimes make a bigger batch of the food and put the rest in the fridge or freezer and eat it some other day. It saves time and when you have packed an appropriate sized proportion in some tupperware container, you can't go for seconds unless you re-heat another batch :giggle2: Not suggesting that you go for seconds, that was a 'general you', though :) 

Same problems as me, I'm terrible for snacking whilst cooking dinner! I now have Tupperware pots in the kitchen with different nuts and seeds in so am getting a bit better at eating those.. I also chop up peppers and bits and keep in the fridge next to the houmous.

At least we have the dogs to walk so we can keep fitter that way!

I've bought some nuts recently, and I do find them quite filling and a good idea to have a handful of them when I'm feeling peckish. I've also been having bigger breakfasts lately which stops me snacking mid-morning at work. And if I do have a snack usually an apple does the trick.

I'm waiting for the weather to settle down a bit before we take Reuben out on our longer walks (when we are out on Dartmoor we are usually out for about 5 or 6 hours, so we burn a lot of energy). At the moment he goes to local woodland, and we end up slowly moseying around rather than proper hard-core walking. :blush2:

I think I'm doing okay .. the scales are moving in the right direction but they're also being awkward. Sometimes I stand on them and get five different readings .. and then Alan gets on and gets five readings the same  :confused: very annoying. They used to have a great big machine in Boots that would print your weight .. very humiliating but all the same .. I wish it was still there as I'd like clarification :D Personally I think they should have one outside Costa coffee that would determine whether I deserved to go in or not :D 

I hate walking if it's icy. I'm okay if I have a husband to hold on to (anyone's will do :D) but when he's not here I worry about falling etc. I see people striding out confidently in all sorts of unsuitable shoes and there I am in snow boots or something clinging on to every available lamp post/railing/stranger  :blush2: I always slip and they never do .. it's most unfair. I once fell over on my own doorstep .. hadn't even got as far as the pavement  :blush2: 

On icy days I try and walk around the house more .. jog possibly or even dance a little bit. I have had exercise bicycles, rowing machines and cross trainers .. couldn't stick at any of it. Always gave me muscle fatigue and as I suffer from that anyway it's a no-no and everyone always nagged me not to do it! Can't do things like aerobics or anything as my balance is abysmal. Walking is the only thing really .. and I do love it .. most of the time. Very trying in the winter though .. weather plays such a part. 

Oh, I love avocado, but I always find it hard to get just the right ripeness. And I find that when they are ripe, you have to eat them immediately....if I leave them for an extra day they start getting horrid brown spots through them. I think they are quite high in fat, but as Hayley said it is good fats.  I have some guacamole in the fridge at the moment, to take to work next week. I've also made my own from scratch, but it was a bit watery and the flavour wasn't strong enough. I must try again at some point, perhaps with a different recipe.

With the walking on ice, I totally get what you mean. I see so many people striding along without slipping, and I'm sliding all over the place, even with my good walking boots. I don't get it....but I suspect it's a confidence thing. If I walked normally, I would probably be fine, but because I'm so hesitant and tentative, it puts my balance all wrong and I'm much more likely to fall. :doh:

Do you go out straight away without having a small snack, and don't eat until dinner (or dinner prepping time)? I would recommend a small healthy snack when you get home and before you take off with Reuben :yes:

I think I'm going to start doing that. I've noticed that I'm less hungry at that time of day, now that I've started having a bigger breakfast (which makes no sense at all, given that breakfast was about 12 hours earlier  :giggle2: ).

That looks lovely Kylie, a bit of rum would have made it even nicer! ;)  The desicated coconut would have been fine, I use it in smoothies all the time, as well as flavour it thickens it up a little too.  Regarding the pineapple, I agree they are a pain, I have one of these.. http://www.lakeland.co.uk/15871/Pineapple-Slicer-and-Wedger, you may be able to get one over there. I don't actually eat pineapple any more as too high sugar for paleo :( but I do occasionally treat myself! :)

:o It looks magical! I would definitely buy lots of fresh pineapple if I could use this! It looks great. I'll definitely have a look around for one here. Thanks!

And thanks for the coconut advice. :) I've seen it mentioned in a few recipes but didn't want to use any if there was any chance I could use my desiccated coconut. The Pina Colada recipe mentioned soaking the coconut in water first, although I don't think I should really have to do that? It's probably just as well that I didn't add it if it's a thickening agent, as my smoothie is already quick thick (probably because I didn't add enough water  :blush2: ).

Where do you keep the scales? When have you changed the battery the last time?

Kylie, the smoothie looks and sounds delicious :wub: Glug glug glug glug :D So happy you're getting on well with your blender!

Frankie is an expert on scales. As I recall, it was she who told me that you should use the scales on a hard surface (like tiles) to get a more accurate reading.  :yes:

Thanks! Do you think it's OK to leave the leftover smoothie in the fridge for a day or two? I've covered it with glad-wrap just in case, but will it be OK?

Oh and bobblybear: if you find that by the time you get to making dinner you're so hungry that you nibble on stuff beforehand, I would suggest you could sometimes make a bigger batch of the food and put the rest in the fridge or freezer and eat it some other day. It saves time and when you have packed an appropriate sized proportion in some tupperware container, you can't go for seconds unless you re-heat another batch :giggle2: Not suggesting that you go for seconds, that was a 'general you', though :)

I've thought of doing that, and if I were single I would. But husband is so bloody fussy, and he gets funny about eating leftovers. :sarcastic:  I've got no problem with leftovers and often take them to work the next day. :D

Of course, I could also just exercise some willpower and wait for the 30 minutes or so it takes to cook a meal, but sometimes it just makes me so cranky. :blush2:

Remember, not all fats are the same. Avocado is very fatty but they are good anti-inflammatory fats with lots and lots of goodness.. Take a look here.

http://paleoleap.com/eat-avocados/

Yes .. I know they're good for you. It's just when I'm dieting I tend to cut down on fats .. unless they are in foods on my 'must have' list which of course includes cake and chocolate and all the things full of the non-good-for-you fats  :blush2: .. I do only have them occasionally though as treats.

I agree with bobbs though .. avocados are very high maintenance :D 

I think I'm going to start doing that. I've noticed that I'm less hungry at that time of day, now that I've started having a bigger breakfast (which makes no sense at all, given that breakfast was about 12 hours earlier  :giggle2: ).

:D I think a good hearty breakfast is the way to go. Let us know how it does with the snacks before the Reuben walkies, and how it might affect your pre-dinner peckishness!

Frankie is an expert on scales. As I recall, it was she who told me that you should use the scales on a hard surface (like tiles) to get a more accurate reading.  :yes:

I've taught you well :lol:

Thanks! Do you think it's OK to leave the leftover smoothie in the fridge for a day or two? I've covered it with glad-wrap just in case, but will it be OK?

I would think it's fine in the fridge, personally. I mean I would leave it in the fridge and drink it :shrug:

I've thought of doing that, and if I were single I would. But husband is so bloody fussy, and he gets funny about eating leftovers. :sarcastic:  I've got no problem with leftovers and often take them to work the next day. :D

Ah, the dilemma with the hubster :D I understand, it's different when one's not living by oneself. However, if you think it would help with your diet project, you could always opt for eating those leftovers yourself while hubby makes his own dinner or while you make him something else. If that doesn't sound too complicated!

All these talk is making me want to eat... No, wait, it's actually meal-time for me, and am thus rightly hungry. Wohoo! :D

Yes .. I know they're good for you. It's just when I'm dieting I tend to cut down on fats .. unless they are in foods on my 'must have' list which of course includes cake and chocolate and all the things full of the non-good-for-you fats  :blush2: .. I do only have them occasionally though as treats.

One needs fats whether one's dieting or not. I might be wrong but unless one has those good fats, one might start losing hair... And I would personally love to have thick hair :wub: