Health and Fitness

Kylie

Btw I find that reading doesn't help because they're always noshing in books!! I look out for toast quotes but I could equally look out for cake quotes, chocolate quotes and every unhealthy food under the sun quotes .. all books are liberally scattered with them. I don't know when anyone was last eating lettuce in a book I read .. not for ages. Someone was eating toasted cheese a minute ago and .. because I'm hungry and it's danger time .. I wanted some!! It's still on my mind now .. I know I have all the equipment!  :blush2: 

This is quite interesting, as I think it's true! There do seem to be more quotes and mention of bad foods than of healthy ones, in (fiction) books in general.

• Replies 339
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have a cousin's wedding coming up in March and I want to lose some weight before that. I feel rather confident that I can and will, because I've been enjoying a healthier diet for the past week and it's made me feel good, and I've started exercising again. I lost ~12 kilos last year, and so I'm trusting to do the same this year, too. 

It sounds as though I'm in the same boat as many of you -- wanting to live healthier and lose weight. Also, congratulations to those of you who are finding success and encouragement to those beginning the journey.

Prior to Christmas, I had made positive changes of drinking 8-10 glasses of water per day and enjoying one sweet treat per day (semantics, but I felt as if I was getting rewarded as opposed to denied). As a result, I lost 18 pounds. My skin was beautiful, my clothes fit better and I was in less pain. I still had a long way to go, but was off to a good start.

Over break, I baked like a madwoman every morning and stayed curled up all day enjoying my sweet treats and reading books. I was also under the weather, so I also had multiple naps each day. As lovely as those two weeks were, I am now paying the price.

My chronic back condition flared up from the lack of activity which made me hold myself wonky, which has led to excruciating pain in my hip. This morning, when I went downstairs, I noticed that the pain is working its way down to my knee because of the poor alignment. I'm in so much pain that I just want to stay in bed which is actually making it worse. Vicious cycle! I must also find a way to lose weight because that will alleviate pressure on my joints and a lot of the pain. Now that it's inflamed, the nerve will take weeks to calm down. I need to take steps to help it along.

I'm using My Fitness Pal, which is an excellent free resource, and helped me a lot last time. This time, however, will be the LAST time - IT WILL BE!!!

I use My Fitness Pal too.  I'm on a 266 day streak of recording my food and exercise.  It's a fantastic site and really keeps me focused, and it's handy to have it as an app on my phone for when I'm out.  I know it's something I will have to do for the rest of my life but it really works for me so it's not a problem. :)

Like Kay, I could never give up carbs completely but I have cut down.  I just record what I eat and adjust accordingly within my calorie allocation rather than trying to cut out foods I enjoy totally.  But I do eat far more fish/white meat and loads of vegetables now - and I very seldom eat processed foods any more, whereas this time last year we ate far too many.

Good luck to everyone this year.   :)

I also think it helps me to look at my before and 'now' picture to see just how far I've come. 

That's awful about your back, I'm so sorry to hear of your condition, dtrpath!  :empathy:   Do you know what to do, how to get better? I mean do you have to go and see a doctor, do you have meds, or is it just a case of getting better with doing more exercise? I hope you'll feel better soon!  :empathy:

I went for walkies today, for about an hour. The weather's nice, and I went to walk in a neighborhood I haven't been to before. It was absolutely gorgeous! :wub: I want to move there and have a family :blush::D 

It sounds as though I'm in the same boat as many of you -- wanting to live healthier and lose weight. Also, congratulations to those of you who are finding success and encouragement to those beginning the journey.

Prior to Christmas, I had made positive changes of drinking 8-10 glasses of water per day and enjoying one sweet treat per day (semantics, but I felt as if I was getting rewarded as opposed to denied). As a result, I lost 18 pounds. My skin was beautiful, my clothes fit better and I was in less pain. I still had a long way to go, but was off to a good start.

Over break, I baked like a madwoman every morning and stayed curled up all day enjoying my sweet treats and reading books. I was also under the weather, so I also had multiple naps each day. As lovely as those two weeks were, I am now paying the price.

My chronic back condition flared up from the lack of activity which made me hold myself wonky, which has led to excruciating pain in my hip. This morning, when I went downstairs, I noticed that the pain is working its way down to my knee because of the poor alignment. I'm in so much pain that I just want to stay in bed which is actually making it worse. Vicious cycle! I must also find a way to lose weight because that will alleviate pressure on my joints and a lot of the pain. Now that it's inflamed, the nerve will take weeks to calm down. I need to take steps to help it along.

So sorry to hear that :( It's awful to be in constant pain .. and so difficult for you to lose weight when exercise is difficult or nigh on impossible. Hope you find the pain eases soon .. and you can get back on track and hopefully feel a lot better as a result :hug: 

I find drinking a lot of water difficult .. often feel like I'm drowning .. but still I keep sipping it all day long and try to remember to drink a glass before meals and then sip some during the meal for filling up purposes. I timed myself today eating my dinner .. it took fifteen mins .. not sure it that's good or bad (it wasn't a big dinner but not small either) .. I was trying hard to go slow .. I'm sure I would have wolfed it in about half that time usually. I was on my own .. perhaps I could have strung it out longer with company and chat but I do hate it if my food goes cold.

Dtr....are you sure it isn't sciatica?  Sounds like to me. 

Have you tried keeping ice on the painful area?  I've found that sitting on ice (hah) helps my sciatica quite a lot.  In fact, I've found for myself,  ice will help any sort of inflammation.  I injured my lower back by lifting incorrectly, and it goes out periodically, and I used to go back to the chiropractor and then use the ice.  Lately, I've just used the ice and it seems to do the trick, for the most part.

Good luck!

Edited by pontalba

Ice does help when it's inflamed, but my pains and nerve damage are the result of a long ago back injury and ensuing surgery. It's just rather delicate and prone to problems even now. Once it starts acting up, it continues with the tantrum for weeks on end. I'd say it's worse than labor pains. At least with labor, you get a break between contractions!

I think I'm going to use this thread as a way to hold me accountable for making small, healthy choices every day. Slow and steady seems to work best for me. Besides, I don't think I could do more than that right now. ;)

Edited by dtrpath27

So sorry to hear that :( It's awful to be in constant pain .. and so difficult for you to lose weight when exercise is difficult or nigh on impossible. Hope you find the pain eases soon .. and you can get back on track and hopefully feel a lot better as a result :hug: 

I find drinking a lot of water difficult .. often feel like I'm drowning .. but still I keep sipping it all day long and try to remember to drink a glass before meals and then sip some during the meal for filling up purposes. I timed myself today eating my dinner .. it took fifteen mins .. not sure it that's good or bad (it wasn't a big dinner but not small either) .. I was trying hard to go slow .. I'm sure I would have wolfed it in about half that time usually. I was on my own .. perhaps I could have strung it out longer with company and chat but I do hate it if my food goes cold.

It is easy not to do it, isn't it? I try to start and end the day with two glasses so at least I have half in without even thinking about it.

It's funny, my Aunt always told me that as we age, it's more "difficult" to remember to drink water.  Something happens that causes us not to "remember", or.....I don't know....want water. 

I was one that was raised to drink the 8 glasses of water a day.  My Mother was quite adamant about that, but I find now at senior citizen age I "want" water less and less and have to make a conscious decision to remember to drink water.  We have a well, so it certainly isn't the taste of the water, it's quite good and refreshing.  So, I wonder, what is it?

I'm so sorry to hear of your situation, DTR :(.

I think I'm one of the few that might find it easy to drink lots of water. I have to take my medication every 2.5h (6 x per day) with at least half a glass of water (and I need that also to swallow the pills). I'm currently up to 20 mg, which means 2 x 10 mg pills. In the evening I take my evening medication, with more than half a glass of water. I also get a dry throat easily from the various medications I take (mainly from the Risperdal), so in between every few bits of food I have to drink (and to flush the taste away after a meal), and also if / when I talk a lot. At some dinners, I drink almost a full water can (~ 750 ml of water) on my own (it does depend on what we eat as with some meals my throat gets drier than with others).

I used to drink way too little (and only orange juice). I'm quite a lot happier with my water to be honest, it's healthy, no calories, fills me up slightly which means I eat less, and it helps for my throat.

I can totally understand though for others that it's hard to drink more water. If one isn't thirsty then it's hard to drink more water. And of course, other drinks might taste nicer than plain water.

I'm glad we can all support each other in this thread :).

Ouch, that sounds so painful, Dtr. :( Do you think a form of water exercise might be helpful? I know water offers little resistance so it's a good option for people who might find other types of exercise too painful. That said, I'm no doctor, so I don't know if it would be appropriate in your situation.

I once decided to start drinking eight glasses of water a day. The first day, at work, I drank loads of water in the morning. Then I started having to go to the bathroom every 15 minutes. LOL. It was just going straight through me, so that was the end of that! I've read articles that say you don't actually have to drink eight glasses of water because that advice takes into account the water we get from food. Although I guess more water is better than less!

I received my blender today! It arrived by courier this afternoon. I've given my kitchen a good clean and moved stuff out of the way so my blender can have pride of place. I've also had a good look over all the parts and read the instruction manual. :) It's so big and fancy! I'm going away in a couple of days, and I'll be gone for nearly 5 days, so I don't want to load up on fresh food before I go because it'll just go to waste. Then again, I don't know if I can wait until next week to try it! I might try a simple juice or smoothie with just a couple of ingredients. Can't wait to give it a spin!

Ouch, that sounds so painful, Dtr. :( Do you think a form of water exercise might be helpful? I know water offers little resistance so it's a good option for people who might find other types of exercise too painful. That said, I'm no doctor, so I don't know if it would be appropriate in your situation.

I once decided to start drinking eight glasses of water a day. The first day, at work, I drank loads of water in the morning. Then I started having to go to the bathroom every 15 minutes. LOL. It was just going straight through me, so that was the end of that! I've read articles that say you don't actually have to drink eight glasses of water because that advice takes into account the water we get from food. Although I guess more water is better than less!

I received my blender today! It arrived by courier this afternoon. I've given my kitchen a good clean and moved stuff out of the way so my blender can have pride of place. I've also had a good look over all the parts and read the instruction manual. :) It's so big and fancy! I'm going away in a couple of days, and I'll be gone for nearly 5 days, so I don't want to load up on fresh food before I go because it'll just go to waste. Then again, I don't know if I can wait until next week to try it! I might try a simple juice or smoothie with just a couple of ingredients. Can't wait to give it a spin!

Actually, aquatic therapy was part of my physical therapy regimen for a year or so following my surgery. I'd like to join a pool if I can this year.

That's interesting about the water. It makes sense, but I've never heard that before.

Congrats on the blender! I used to make the all the time with my Magic Bullet until it broke.

I wish you lots of healthy eating / drinking with the blender :)!

Dtrpath, I hope you can find somewhere to go do aquatic therapy :) 

Kylie, great stuff about the blender! So, what's been cooking in it so far? :)

I got hired as a doggy walker today, I'll be walking a puppy for 30 minutes twice a day for at least today, tomorrow and the day after tomorrow. That's good exercise! And doggies always get me in a better mood, I'm sure my blood pressure will be ideal when I'm with him/her :D 

Kylie, great stuff about the blender! So, what's been cooking in it so far? :)

I got hired as a doggy walker today, I'll be walking a puppy for 30 minutes twice a day for at least today, tomorrow and the day after tomorrow. That's good exercise! And doggies always get me in a better mood, I'm sure my blood pressure will be ideal when I'm with him/her :D

At least three days of doggy walking? Cool! Did you have to sign anything to say that you promise you'll give the dog back afterwards? ;)

I haven't used the blender yet. I've been a bit busy and I'm going away soon (but these won't be excuses from next week), so I guess I'll just wait until next week to start with it. I really can't wait!

This is very exciting, I wish you lots of fun :)!

Doggy walking! brilliant and such a great way for you to get exercise Frankie .. pure enjoyment :)

Look forward to hearing what you make in your blender Kylie :) I have one though it's not all singing and dancing but I'm sure it would whip up a tolerable smoothie .. I just need inspiring. I used to have a juicer and I did make some of those detox kind of smoothies and they were lovely but very expensive to make (whole pineapple .. avocado .. that sort of thing) and the machine was a bit of a nightmare to clean. It went to live in the dreaded 'back of the cupboard' :D I think I eventually got rid of it .. not sure :blush2:  

Thanks everyone! :smile2: I asked if it was for three days only and it turns out that I'll be continuing next week too, and possibly even the week after that! :exc: Now that I'm doing two half hour walks with the dog per day (not every day though), I counted that what with walking there, walking the dog and walking back, I'll be getting 2 hours of walking on those days! Red cheeks! :smile2:

I haven't used the blender yet. I've been a bit busy and I'm going away soon (but these won't be excuses from next week), so I guess I'll just wait until next week to start with it. I really can't wait!

I can't wait for you to start, either! :D

Poppyshake, you need to go over them cupboards and see if you still have your magic machine! :) Although I have to agree, the juices can be really expensive to make, depending on what you're putting in them. :(

Edit: It was a bit too close to home that the owner hurt her leg because she slipped, because when I was walking Moses, I slipped once, too (it's really slippery out there at the moment!), and I could really feel it in my thigh :D Luckily I didn't break anything, it was just a good stretch :D I mean think how awful it would've been for me to break my leg when walking a dog whose owner can't walk him because of a broken leg!!  :doh:

Edited by frankie

Thanks everyone! :smile2: I asked if it was for three days only and it turns out that I'll be continuing next week too, and possibly even the week after that! :exc: Now that I'm doing two half hour walks with the dog per day (not every day though), I counted that what with walking there, walking the dog and walking back, I'll be getting 2 hours of walking on those days! Red cheeks! :smile2:

I can't wait for you to start, either! :D

Poppyshake, you need to go over them cupboards and see if you still have your magic machine! :) Although I have to agree, the juices can be really expensive to make, depending on what you're putting in them. :(

Edit: It was a bit too close to home that the owner hurt her leg because she slipped, because when I was walking Moses, I slipped once, too (it's really slippery out there at the moment!), and I could really feel it in my thigh :D Luckily I didn't break anything, it was just a good stretch :DI mean think how awful it would've been for me to break my leg when walking a dog whose owner can't walk him because of a broken leg!!  :doh:

That would have been a horrible stroke of bad luck. Although I don't get time to do it much, I always enjoy walking my parents dog even if he is a little rascal at times.

That would have been a horrible stroke of bad luck. Although I don't get time to do it much, I always enjoy walking my parents dog even if he is a little rascal at times.

It's still slippery over here and probably will be for the week, so I need to be careful. Moses is slipping quite a lot, too! 

Walking a dog is like the best exercise ever: you don't really realize you're doing it, as you just enjoy interacting with the dog. I sometimes forget that there might be other people around, I can only see the dog when I'm with him :blush: Of course I'm careful to watch out for cars and people but I'm completely oblivious to people who walk on the other side of the street, only having eyes for the dog himself :D 

I'm sorry to hear it's so slippery there, I'm glad you didn't break anything! Do be careful :). I fully agree with you, walking with the dog is a lot of fun and doesn't feel as much like exercise even though it certainly is. I've been walking with our dogs regularly for a few years now, and it really does help and make you fitter too.