Health and Fitness

Kylie

I thought I'd start a new thread for health and fitness, seeing as the old one hasn't been used for a while. Despite my long ramble below, this isn't my own thread; it's a general thread for everyone to give support and advice to each other and provide updates on how we're going.

So, about me:

I have some pretty terrible eating habits and I never exercise. I get so ashamed of myself for being lazy and eating unhealthily, but I'm determined to change. When I last had a relationship that ended, I fell apart, started eating badly and put on quite a few kilos. But this time around I'm determined not to fall apart. I want to be stronger and improve my life.

I've been in two minds about starting this thread. On the one hand, I know that you all will offer me a lot of support and encouragement as I start on my journey, but I'm also scared because if I fail, it won't be just me who knows about it!  :lol: But I think it would be good for me to be held accountable for any slip-ups and bad days. So don't go too easy on me!

My top priority is to change my dietary habits. I'll worry about exercise later. Around a year ago, my doctor told me that I have pre-diabetes. That should have been enough to scare me into changing my habits, but it wasn't. I haven't had any further tests done, but I think I'm still OK for now. I want to turn my life around and surprise my doctor the next time he tests me. I'd also like to lose a fair bit of weight (I need to lose at least 20 kg!).

This week I ordered a top-of-the-range blender with money I received at Christmas. I'm expecting to receive it early next week. From the reviews I've read, it's a really whizz-bang machine that can do smoothies, juices, soup and sorbet. I'm planning on having loads of fresh food delivered to my door every week and having healthy juices once or twice a day. Having the fruit and veg delivered has several benefits: I support a local businessman and growers rather than large corporations, my produce will be fresher, and I won't have to go to the supermarket as often (where all the evil, naughty foods are).

I made a trip to the local health food store yesterday and spent a small fortune on various bits and bobs that can be used in smoothies (according to the recipe book the blender company sent me). These include things like grains, chia seeds, goji berries, cacao nibs and dates. A good thing about spending so much money on the blender and food is that I definitely won't want my purchases to go to waste!

I plan to make a lot of 'green' smoothies in particular, as I've always had low iron levels (so low that I was't allowed to donate blood the last two times I tried). I also don't eat enough fish and red meat, so I'm going to aim to have at least one steak and one fish meal per week (and fresh fish—not the frozen stuff I usually use!) When we start getting into the colder months, I'll start using the blender for loads of yummy soups.

So, that's my plan for the short term. Any advice, recipes and encouragement are welcome. :)

• Replies 339
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi Kylie! I love the new fresh thread :D 

You sound very determined and you've already made some big adjustments and have made plans on how and what to do. Everything sounds really good! And I think it's wise to start with taking a look into your diet, and leaving the exercise for a bit later when you've grown accustomed to your new food regime. 

I love it that you're supporting local businesses! :smile2: That's fantastic in many different ways. I'm going to look forward to your smoothie recipes as well. I need to dust my own blender... :D 

Wishing you good luck with all your goals! 

Thanks Frankie!

With all my talk of blenders and smoothies, I hope it didn't come across like I'm doing some sort of 'juice' diet. For me, the smoothies/juices will be my breakfast (as opposed to the breakfast I usually have: nothing  :giggle:), and I'll have them as snacks during the day when I get hungry or start craving junk food.

You're right about the exercise, Frankie. I don't want to change too much to start with, as I think that would be a definite recipe for failure (although it would probably work for others). I think changing in increments is the way to go.  :yes: Cutting junk out of my diet is a huge step for me, so I think that's enough change in one go! However, even then, I'll have to allow myself the occasional treat or I know I'll break down completely and binge eat for a week or something. :D My ex-personal trainer once told me that losing weight is much more about eating habits than exercise, which I thought was an interesting thing for her to say given that her whole business is about exercising!

Hopefully the weight will start to drop off a bit with the changes to my diet, and then I'll start adding in exercise. I've found a few local groups that get together and do bush walks and stuff, but with the way my fitness is at the moment, I don't feel like I could join any of their activities because I would be so embarrassed if I couldn't complete the walk. But if I can do a bit of exercise myself and get my fitness level up a bit, then I could go out and do stuff.

With all my talk of blenders and smoothies, I hope it didn't come across like I'm doing some sort of 'juice' diet. For me, the smoothies/juices will be my breakfast (as opposed to the breakfast I usually have: nothing  :giggle:), and I'll have them as snacks during the day when I get hungry or start craving junk food.

Don't worry, it didn't come across that way at all! You did talk about fish and stuff :yes: The brekkie is the most important meal of the day and I think it's great that you're starting to have one of those!  (Remember those milky drinks you have in Australia, the ones you can buy in packs of three? There were vanilla and choccy ones. I've been trying to find something similar over here but haven't been successful. I miss those! :( )

You're right about the exercise, Frankie. I don't want to change too much to start with, as I think that would be a definite recipe for failure (although it would probably work for others). I think changing in increments is the way to go.  :yes: Cutting junk out of my diet is a huge step for me, so I think that's enough change in one go! However, even then, I'll have to allow myself the occasional treat or I know I'll break down completely and binge eat for a week or something. :D My ex-personal trainer once told me that losing weight is much more about eating habits than exercise, which I thought was an interesting thing for her to say given that her whole business is about exercising!

I'm no expert but I agree with your ex PT. One can exercise how much one wants, but if one eats junk the rest of the time, the weight's not going to come off. One can lose weight just by changing their diet and not doing any exercise. Although of course with exercise one's going to lose pounds faster, but you get my drift.

And I agree about the occasional treat, too! One's gotta have something nice every now and then, otherwise one's set out for failure. 

Hopefully the weight will start to drop off a bit with the changes to my diet, and then I'll start adding in exercise. I've found a few local groups that get together and do bush walks and stuff, but with the way my fitness is at the moment, I don't feel like I could join any of their activities because I would be so embarrassed if I couldn't complete the walk. But if I can do a bit of exercise myself and get my fitness level up a bit, then I could go out and do stuff.

Oooh, going for a bush walk is a good incentive for you, I know how much you enjoy those! :) 

I have changed my eating habits significantly over the past 15 months and factored in exercise (walking and doing step aerobics on the Wii-Fit two or three times a week - more in the summer) last April and... and I hope I don't sound too boastful... have had real success. I still have a little way to go.

I'm sure you can do it. Like you, I didn't eat breakfast and was skeptical about the whole "most important meal of the day..." propaganda, but I actually think it's one of the keys now.

I use an online program, with a corresponding app and count calories, which I know some people find a chore, but it works for me, and for the first time in 15 years am close to a normal BMI, having gone from an overweight to obese BMI in 2001.

From what I've seen of you on FB you don't have lots to lose so I'm certain you can succeed. Good luck. :)

Jänet, I've noticed you've been going for walks a lot  and I think you're a huge inspiration! And not that you weren't happy or content before, but these days you seem so much happier! Your FB posts are always so cheerful and happy-go-lucky that they always cheer me up :)

Edit: Almost forgot! Congratulations Jänet, for making such big changes and doing it successfully!!!  :flowers2:

Edited by frankie

Thanks, Sari. :)

I feal great! :) I'm not shy (but I don't class myself as an extrovert either?) but I feel much more confident now, so my weight loss has had a knock-on effect in other areas of my life. So far I have lost 60lbs. That's about... 27kgs, (I think). :)

Thanks. :)

The use of the word shy in my previous post is wrong and I don't mean to offend anyone with that trait. I was just (clumsily) trying to explain that feeling better about myself has boosted my confidence. I hope I haven't offended anybody.

Wow, that's great Janet! So inspiring. :D I'd be shouting it from the rooftops if I was doing as well as you!

There's nothing at all offensive about what you said (and I say that as a very shy person).  :friends3:

I have a couple of apps where you can keep track of your calories etc., but I've never really used them. I'll keep them in mind!

Thanks. :)

The use of the word shy in my previous post is wrong and I don't mean to offend anyone with that trait. I was just (clumsily) trying to explain that feeling better about myself has boosted my confidence. I hope I haven't offended anybody.

I know what you meant about the shy thing and I'm not at all offended (being a shy person myself) :) No worries! And like Kylie said, I'd be screaming such amazing results from the rooftops myself :D I'm so happy for you! 

Hi Kylie and well done on taking the first steps to a healthier lifestyle, I was the same when I embarked, I needed to be organised and take things one step at a time, and now, at just over 6 months in, I have never felt better!  For me it wasn't so much about weight but more about my health as I have suffered from headaches and migraines since my teens. I tried all sorts of things over the years, from vitamins and acupuncture to various health tests and medications.. At no point did I really consider what I ate.  Then around a year ago I did some food allergy testing which turned out to be a bit rubbish and a bit obvious (caffeine, cheese, red wine and oranges.. the usual possible triggers for headaches and migraine).. After that I started to take a bit more interested in my diet,  I presume your governments has similar recommendations to ours, more whole grains, less fat, more fruit and veg, did I feel better? Not really.. 

Then through a Facebook page I was perusing for arthritis help for my old dog at the time I came upon someone (actually in Australia) who was doing Hair Analysis testing and I got chatting to her. She said she works in partnership with someone in the UK where I could send a sample so I thought why not? It wasn't expensive and by this point I was getting a bit desperate as I was having more days with a headache than without. Around 10 days later I got the results and to be honest I was a little disappointed as a lot of it was rambling and involved recommendations for taking homeopathic remedies, of which I am not a great advocate.  However I thought in for a penny and all that, I'll cut out all the foods on the list for 6 weeks, so I pinned the list up and went for it. It included a wide range of food and ingredients including wheat, beef, pepper, strawberries, ginger, carrots, aspartame and sodium sorbate. It was tough, particularly the wheat (you wouldn't believe the amount of things wheat is in, gravy, ready grated cheese, the list is endless!)

But do you know, after 6 weeks I felt great, still a few headaches and migraines but I could attribute all those to hormones, still a nuisance but a great improvement from before.

So, that was my lightbulb moment. I wasn't convinced that I was allergic/intolerant to all the foods on the list but clearly I needed to find a diet that was not only good for me, but that was sustainable and fitted in to my lifestyle.. Hence more research and the purchase of rather a large number of books.  :giggle:

The one ingredient I decided I wanted to boot out was wheat so my research surrounded that and I came across Dr David Perlmutter and his book Grain Brain, he is a neurologist and the premise of the Grain Brain diet is to eat a very low carb, low sugar, high good fat diet. The complete opposite to what our governements have been telling us for years, despite the high rise in obesity, diabetes, stroke and dementia.  The diet is an anti inflammatory one so it can help you not only lose weight but it can help with any inflammatory problems, diseases you may have or be destined to have later in your life.

Many of my friends have scorned my diet, and that is entirely up to them, I will not argue about it.. maybe debate a little, they are happy to go by the government guidelines and go to Slimming World and Weightwatchers and eat lots of low fat and low sugar products, which contain ingredients that I cannot pronounce or understand, buckets loads of artificial sweeteners, preservatives and flavour enhancers, eat tonnes of fruit despite fruit (I should say some fruit) being higher in sugar than a packet of sweets. I know I am healthier than I have ever been, as are my children, although they do not follow the diet like me, but they no longer have sugar on week days at home and fizzy drinks only on special occasions.

Strangely though this is the year of the 'new' diet, Paleo, I'm sure you've heard of it by now. You have a great guy in Australian doing a TV show that is all about Paleo, Pete Evans?  Basically it is the Caveman diet, only eating what you could kill or grow in Paleolithic times, so lots of natural healthy food, like meat, poultry and fish, preferably organic, free range and wild in the case of the fish, loads of veg (not too much potato), salad, some lower sugar fruits, mainly berries and lots of good fats, EV olive oil, coconut oil, avocado oil and high quality butter from grass fed cows (not grain fed).

I now have very few headaches, even the hormonal ones are slowly decreasing, and on a bonus level, my PMT symptoms (jeez, now I know how horrid I was!) are all but gone.

From what you have written above you are well on your way to a wonderful healthy lifestyle and you will reap the rewards very quickly if you are sensible and take the small steps you mentioned, and if you eat well enough (remember good fats and protein satiate, not carbs no matter how good they taste), so you don't feel like you are constantly starving and then become more likely to slip.

A few quick tips then I'll stop filling the thread!..

Take your time, any small healthier changes you make today are an achievement and better than what you did yesterday.

Research, decide what plan of sorts you want to follow, if you take too many ideas from different plans you may end up being less healthy and putting weight on. (For example, if I follow the Paleo yet still eat wholegrain bread I will put weight on).

Make some list of foods to eat more of and foods to avoid, mine included more fish (frozen is fine by the way), more spinach, more nuts and seeds.. Less processed food, less high sugar fruit (pineapple, kiwi, melon etc), less inflammatory oils including rapeseed, sunflower and vegetable).

Do try and do something active each day, I'm lucky I have dogs to walk, but just a 20 minute reasonably brisk walk to buy a paper will do in the early days.

Look into some good quality vitamins, preferably food grade ones (I use Cytoplan in the UK, maybe look at the website to see why food grade rather than synthetic vitamins are better for you. Most women are low in the B vitamins, calcium, magnesium and D3. I try to incorporate foods into my diet that have these vitamins in but for the amounts that you need it can be difficult.

If you are looking into juicing, Joe Cross is an inspiration, he has a couple of books but his website is pretty good and he has done a couple of movies about his 'journey'.. Just beware the lure of the high sugar fruits in juices! 

Alllow yourself little treats here and there for sure, or you will be truly miserable. I buy gluten free bread slices to keep in the freezer, it has lots of added crap but I can enjoy the odd slice of toast! I keep Lindt 70% plain chocolate in the fridge and have a couple of squares a day (it has some good stuff in it anyway) and I can't totally give up Kettle Chips, I just have the plain salted ones with less additives!

Sorry, I've gone on rather a lot haven't I..  :blush2:  I wish you all the luck and joy in the world, just think of it as an adventure!  :flowers2:  :flowers2:  :flowers2:

Thanks for sharing your story, Chaliepud. It was a very interesting read!

It doesn't seem like it should be so hard to stay healthy and maintain a healthy weight, does it? But there's so much conflicting information out there! I kind of understand why people would follow the paleo diet—I guess there wasn't much/any obesity back then. I guess different things work for different people, and it's just a matter of finding out what works for yourself rather than following the latest fad.

Pete Evans is one of the hosts of My Kitchen Rules (a cooking competition show). He once copped a lot of flak for advocating 'activated almonds'. I think it was the first time most people had ever heard of such a thing. :)

Thanks for all of your tips! I'll have to make notes of them. I've had low vitamin B(3, I think) and D levels in the past, so I need to focus on those areas too.

I've been quite intrigued by the movement to 'quit sugar'. I agree with the notion that sugar is an addiction; I crave junk food and soft drink all the time. I've pondered trying to give up sugar completely, but I'm not sure that I'm up to it. You're supposed to stop consuming a lot of different foods for 6 weeks (like you did, Chalie), and then reintroduce some types back into your diet, like those sugary fruits. I have a book that details the plan. I might wait and see how my own plan goes before trying something more drastic. :)

If you can be hardcore for a while then your body will stop craving it.. Read up on what soft drinks contain, that should put you off for a bit! :D

http://bit.ly/16XVTfD

http://bit.ly/1K7CrMF

This may be interesting too as it talks about the link between high carb diets and diabetes..

http://bit.ly/1B6e6UK

I'll leave now....  :blush2:

Edited by chaliepud

Great thread! It's very interesting to read all your experiences, Kylie, Frankie, Janet and Chalie :). Congrats to Janet and Chalie for doing well and feeling better :).

I've been trying to eat healthier and lose weight for about 1.5 years now (so.. ~ 18 months). I've changed some of my eating and drinking patterns. I've lost about 10 kg so far though the past few months I haven't lost any more and it's just been steady. I hope to lose more in the future.

I used a calorie counting app for a while, I filled in everything I ate and drank and it told me the calorie count and how many vitamins and minerals I was getting. It turned out, I was low on iron and a few others, so I've been taking vitamine pills ever since and I feel they help me feel better. The app is from the official Dutch organisation so it wouldn't help you, Kylie :blush2:. I've stopped using it since last year as I was getting tired of filling in everything and knew how much things generally were now, anyway.

One of the things that made a big difference for me, is that I replaced my orange juice (which I drank with every meal) with water (tap water). I have a dry mouth because of the medications I take, so I drink a sip of liquid every few bites during a meal. I also take a lot of medication nowadays and drink some water every time. I drink a lot of water each day and save a lot of calories from what otherwise would've been orange juice. I only drink it on occasion now, as in perhaps on a special occasion or when my mum offers to make me some fresh juice, but otherwise I drink water.

I also try to eat a lot of vegetables (mainly fresh ones, not so many cooked ones). We buy our vegetables at the local market, which is very nice. It usually tastes better than the supermarket vegetables and it's cheaper too (usually). I don't eat a lot of fruit, because there aren't many fruits that I like.

I eat brown / wholewheat bread for lunch, I don't really like white bread to be honest (except when it's "stickbread" but even then I try to go for brown if available). I try to eat brown / whole rice too, etc. Though admittedly with pasta not so much, as with my favourite pasta types they only have the standard one. The only pasta that they have wholewheat of is spaghetti which I don't eat that often.

For a long time I cut out things like mayonaise and other sauces, too. Nowadays I eat it a bit more, though always the low-fat variant with fewer calories. I try to not eat too much meat, because that's not good, though sometimes it's hard because of the amount you get when you buy it in the supermarket (I can't afford the butchers' here). I also try not to eat too much starch.

Generally I've learned that you need to stick to "de schijf van vijf", one needs food from five food groups per day, not all in even amounts of course. I try to stick to that.

I eat fish usually about once a week. I don't like most fish, so this is unfortunate (it's also expensive, so there's also that). I only like tuna really (I do like smoked salmon, but it costs a lot, and I like anchovy in rice salad but don't eat that all that often). We eat with my parents about once a week, and they normally get salmon and tuna at the market which we then eat for dinner together (I eat the tuna, the rest eats salmon). Sometimes I eat tuna from a tin, which is very nice too.

I don't have any 'frier' or anything.. apparently there are quite a few people who often go get take away or who use their frier to make chips and other snacks (I couldn't believe it when I read this diet book, from the US, where one of the questions was how often do you get take away or eat out, and the answers available were 1-2 a week, 3 times a week, 4 times a week or 5 or more times per week! I eat that sort of thing maybe once every two months!). We eat chips now and then but always in the oven (well, got no other choice anyway) so it's a lot less fatty.

I try to make each dinner consist of proteine, starch and vegetables.

For breakfast, I've had yoghurt with muesli for a while, I had cereal for a while (with chocolate milk as I don't like normal milk), nowadays I eat 'vla' (it's a Dutch dairy) with fibery cereal. Various researches have proven that having breakfast kickstarts your metabolism and that people who eat breakfast are actually slimmer (weigh less) than those who skip breakfast. I couldn't not eat breakfast, I need to have it soon after I wake up.

I always eat something between breakfast and lunch and between lunch and dinner, because otherwise I'm too hungry. When I was a child and young teenager I was never hungry. I needed to look at the clock and eat at the specific times otherwise I'd start to feel bad but didn't understand why. Since taking various medications I've been feeling more and more hungry. Nowadays I can go from 'not hungry' to 'very hungry' in a few minutes (this is very hard to stand and I feel like I'm going to fall over), and it's very important to me to have my meals at the specific times I always have them. I try not to eat outside these designated times. As a snack in between I try to have vegetables, though lately I've been having more cookies and such. I tend to go by one cookie a day, once a day I'm allowed something that's slightly less healthy.

I don't often eat something after dinner (my stomach needs to be empty for my evening medication), but sometimes I do do so, if I'm staying up late and am hungry for example (like on New Year's Eve sometimes).

In terms of exercise, I walk a lot with our dogs and I have a home trainer (which I don't go on as often as I should).

Okay, that was enough rambling for now.. it's lunch time and I shall stop here.

I wish everyone who wants to lose weight and eat healthier and be fitter, lots of good luck and look forward to talk with you all about it :).

I'm another one renewing my efforts to get healthy this year. So far I've managed to shift 11lbs since 1st January, and next week I start a ballroom and Latin American dancing class for beginners with my cousin. On top of that, I will shortly start going to an aquafit class once a week with one of my pals. I set myself an initial target of losing a stone (14lbs), but overall I really need to drop 91lbs from the weight I began the year with. This would take me back to around the weight I was when I got married. I don't want to be skinny, I just want to be able to buy clothes and know they look good on me, and to feel healthy and fit, and to have the energy to run around with my kids. I'm on the lookout for a bike to buy on the cheap, so I can start cycling, as Xander got a bike for Xmas, and I'd like us to be able to go cycling together - there are lots of nice places to cycle nearby.

As soon as my rotary cuff injury, which has been plaguing me for months, is finally fixed, I will be joining the gym and getting back to lifting weights again - I really miss doing that!

I'm determined that this time I will do it! My sister just joined Slimming World, so I have some competition to keep me motivated - I don't want to be "the fat sister" after all! I'm using My Fitness Pal, which is an excellent free resource, and helped me a lot last time. This time, however, will be the LAST time - IT WILL BE!!!

My initial period of weight loss also involved adopted the Paleo diet. I think the most important part of the change was eating more vegetables and shying away from processed foods. I love white bread and pasta but they are nutritionally quite poor so avoiding them was a big change for me. As I got more active over time I added good carbs back into my diet without a detrimental effect. An issue I had with the Paleo diet is the avoidance of things like sweet potatoes, beans and legumes. Last summer I spent a lot of time on my bike riding long distances and without carbs I found it far too hard to fuel my rides. I still avoid the nutritionally poor carbs but I do eat sweet potatoes, brown rice, quinoa, beans, legumes and oats. As long as I keep the portion sizes sensible (a handful per meal max) everything seems to work well for me. One further adjustment I have found helpful is to try and eat my carbs after physical activity. All this has taken quite a lot of experimentation as there is variation in the ability of different people to tolerate carbs etc.

It is great to see so many people in this thread looking at what they eat as the main point of focus. There is a saying that "you can't out train a poor diet" and that is so true. I spent a lot of time running 4 times a week without losing any weight because my diet was poor. I thought I was eating healthy but in reality a lot of low fat and 'health' food are quite bad for us. Store bought muesli for example is often loaded with sugar and I was eating it every day for my breakfast. I thought pasta salad was a great meal but it was very high calorie and not very nutritionally dense.

All this said though it is important to enjoy ourselves from time to time with treats. :JC_cookies:

Great thread Kylie :)

Yes .. I need to do something about my weight/health/fitness too. January finds me fatter than usual .. January always finds me fatter than usual thanks to Christmas but also this time due to the fact that I wasn't well leading up to it and so was more sedentary etc. For a while now I haven't felt up to going for the long walks that I normally take daily if I can. I lose confidence when I don't feel well and also my balance and eyesight are poor during these times. I was also at the mercy .. some of the time .. of Alan's cooking  :blush2: He will always want to serve up comforting food if I'm under the weather and if he can smuggle a cake down a person who's feeling ill then he will .. his reasoning being that cake must do you good. I am living proof that cake does NOT do you good. Cake makes you puff up the hills.

I would find it hard to drastically alter my diet though. I know I couldn't ever commit to never eating buttered toast or chocolate or cake etc ever again. I just wouldn't stick to it and the problem with changing your diet and cutting out certain foods is that if you slip or go back to eating things like bread or pasta or rice .. or carbs in general .. when you've been eating low carbs or no carbs  .. then the weight will pile on quicker than ever. So any diet I undertake has to include occasional treats etc and not be too strict. When I was first unwell I did go and get tested to see if things could be improved by cutting out certain foods and the list of foods I was supposedly allergic to was as long as my arm. I cut them all out (I was basically having to live on rice cakes) but I was just thoroughly miserable and there were no health improvements at all though I stuck to it for ages. The one thing you don't want to feel .. is both ill and miserable.

I am a breakfast dodger, I think most people who struggle with their weight are. They think (stupidly) that that's the one meal they can control and do without. Evening time is my real problem .. then I want to eat for England and all other countries too  :blush2: Plus when I'm cooking, Alan will want to open some wine and then it's 'let's have nibbles' .. which is always bad. Nothing good for you ever came under the heading 'nibbles' .. even if you've got celery sticks you'll be wanting to stick them in something creamy and garlicky.

I know I can lose weight .. I lost quite a bit last year but I am so yo-yo .. so probably definitely not tackling it correctly. Eating healthily can sometimes be quite expensive .. or buying things like fish can and some fruits and nuts/seeds/berries etc. It's good to hear that frozen fish is okay because that's a cheaper option. I do like salmon but it's pricey. I adore things like tinned tuna and sardines etc but not sure they''re that good for me. Perversely I don't like tuna packed in spring water .. it has to be in olive oil  :blush2: I do drink lots of water though .. tap because again .. bottled water is just so expensive. I eat quickly though .. I'm a bolter and there's a lot of evidence to suggest that bolters put weight on more easily. I need to slow down, eat more fish, eat more salad (without dressing/mayo etc) eat breakfast, keep drinking the water and do as much walking as I can. The thing is when you start getting results it spurs you on .. up until then though it's pretty difficult. 

Btw I find that reading doesn't help because they're always noshing in books!! I look out for toast quotes but I could equally look out for cake quotes, chocolate quotes and every unhealthy food under the sun quotes .. all books are liberally scattered with them. I don't know when anyone was last eating lettuce in a book I read .. not for ages. Someone was eating toasted cheese a minute ago and .. because I'm hungry and it's danger time .. I wanted some!! It's still on my mind now .. I know I have all the equipment!  :blush2: 

This is a great place to come and get moral support and maybe share ideas/recipes .. especially for things like smoothies and juices etc. And for you to tell me what to eat with my salmon instead of new potatoes and butter etc. We can help each other :hug: 

Oh dear .. I do like my food :( 

Thanks for the biscuit Bri :hug: 

Edited by poppyshake

I'm hungry. /sigh/  The more you eat, the more you want.  Not fair.  The system is just stacked against us.  /more sighs/ :)

Oh well.  Soon, no, really!  Soon it will be Atkins Time again.

All the lovely and inspiring posts in this thread are just too tempting.  I've procrastinated since last summer going back on a diet.  There is always a "good" reason not to......right? 

With me, it's all or nothing.  I can't do a half-way diet.  Cutting down does nothing for me.  Pah!

Thanks for starting this thread, Sari.  :alc:

Ummmmm. Kill me now....I mean Kylie.  :blush2:  :blush2:  :blush2:

Edited by pontalba