Muggle Not - Books Read - 2015

muggle not

• Replies 261
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I hope to have a family room like that eventually; it feels comfortable and engulfing. Does keeping the books besides the fireplace damage them in any way?

No, the heat from the fireplace didn't reach to the books. Of course though we didn't burn the fireplace 24 hours a day.

Bookshelves, a fireplace and ducks! What a gorgeous room.  :smile:

We did enjoy the room but the best part was it opened onto a screened porch that I cannot even tell you how much we enjoyed. We used to sit on the porch every day. During the day I would frequently read a book on it and in the evening there was a bird (wood thrush) that would sing such a nice sound. Sitting on the porch was also when we would see the bears down in the yard/woods. :)Oh, how I miss living there. :cry:

Lonesome Dove should definitely be on my TBR, wow!  It's almost a 1,000 pages :o   What about True Grit?   :giggle2:  

Oh- I picked The Sixth Shotgun because it is a collection of L'Amour stories, the title story and then The Rider of the Ruby Hills.  The Rider... was originally a magazine published piece that he expanded, this includes the original, so that is why I chose it :)

Lonesome Dove is an epic and an excellent book that for the most part portrays the old west in the days of cattle drives, cowboys,  and Indians. The first 25% of the book basically develops the characters, and an interesting group they were. Some people expect a bang - bang type of book and don't understand the story of the west in its early days. Have you watched the Lonesome Dove mini TV series.....it was one of the best.

:wub:  I am officially in love with that porch! 

We probably enjoyed living there more than any place we lived. We had the house built according to our plans and I designed the layout of the porch, etc. I really, really, miss living there.

Oh wow that porch is amazing. And it looks like you're basically in a forest? or were. I'm sure I remember seeing that photo of the family room before, maybe in the Bookshelves thread. Didn't realise you had moved.

Lonesome Dove is an epic and an excellent book that for the most part portrays the old west in the days of cattle drives, cowboys,  and Indians. The first 25% of the book basically develops the characters, and an interesting group they were. Some people expect a bang - bang type of book and don't understand the story of the west in its early days. Have you watched the Lonesome Dove mini TV series.....it was one of the best.

We probably enjoyed living there more than any place we lived. We had the house built according to our plans and I designed the layout of the porch, etc. I really, really, miss living there.

It is definitely going on the TBR list.  My mom loved the mini series.  I am jealous of your shelves and the porch, I agree, if I had that porch, I'd be reading out there everyday day too- is that in south Carolina?  SC was our favorite state, so gorgeous. 

It's wonderful to see photos of your house, muggle not! I'm in awe of the porch. It's like an apartment in itself. Very beautiful and so spacious :wub: And I loved seeing the bookcases too. The green leather armchair looks positively noble! :)

It is definitely going on the TBR list.  My mom loved the mini series.  I am jealous of your shelves and the porch, I agree, if I had that porch, I'd be reading out there everyday day too- is that in south Carolina?  SC was our favorite state, so gorgeous. 

The photos are of the house we had built and lived in for 14 years. It was near Charlottesville, Virginia.

Great photos, that house looks beautiful!

Thank you, we really enjoyed living in it and the location was great.

It's wonderful to see photos of your house, muggle not! I'm in awe of the porch. It's like an apartment in itself. Very beautiful and so spacious :wub: And I loved seeing the bookcases too. The green leather armchair looks positively noble! :)

There are two green leather armchairs. The photo doesn't show the other one.

A photo of the front and back of the house. The other photo is of the surrounding countryside near where we lived.

Well, :) I may as well also post the berrypatch near us where I used to go and pick berries. The photo shows the "blueberry" area but there were also blackberries and raspberries.

Edited by muggle not

Wow! It's just like the lovely big houses I've come to associate with America through movies and TV shows. :) Is that an alien in the berry patch (the round thing with big eyes)? :o Or perhaps a scarecrow-type thing? :)

Wow! It's just like the lovely big houses I've come to associate with America through movies and TV shows. :) Is that an alien in the berry patch (the round thing with big eyes)? :o Or perhaps a scarecrow-type thing? :)

LOL, that is a picture of me and my big head :D  You got it right, it is a scarecrow type thingie. My favorite berry was the blackberry from the berrypatch. Gosh how I loved the blackberry pies we would make. :smile:

The photos are of the house we had built and lived in for 14 years. It was near Charlottesville, Virginia.

We were only through Norfolk on the way to Georgetown and then to Gettysburg.  Beautiful country.  How close is that to Norfolk?  We loved the whole east coast, (especially crossing Chesapeake Bay) and were in constant wonder how different it is from our coast (North and South West coast).

We were only through Norfolk on the way to Georgetown and then to Gettysburg.  Beautiful country.  How close is that to Norfolk?  We loved the whole east coast, (especially crossing Chesapeake Bay) and were in constant wonder how different it is from our coast (North and South West coast).

Norfolk is on the eastside of Virginia near the ocean and Charlottesville is on the west side of the state in the foothills of the Blue Ridge Mountains. They are a good distance apart. The east coast near the ocean is much different than the west coast.  The west coast along the ocean is much prettier. However, the coast in parts of Maine is very nice.

What a beautiful house, muggle.  I think I could fit my house into that one about four times over … at the very least! :D

Aw shucks, thanks for the compliment....I think. :smile: Maybe I shouldn't have posted those photos as y'all might get the wrong opinion of me. :mellow:  

Edited by muggle not

Maybe I shouldn't have posted those photos as y'all might get the wrong opinion of me. :mellow:  

What, do you mean the opinion of you being a voracious reader with varied interests and talents, and excellent taste in home style and screened porches?   :smile:

Yep, I've gone right off you now I know!  :P

Edited by Chrissy

Aw shucks, thanks for the compliment....I think. :smile: Maybe I shouldn't have posted those photos as y'all might get the wrong opinion of me. :mellow:

No, no, no, no, no … don't stop posting photos!!! It was definitely a compliment. I feel awful for not explaining now … I always compare our house to those in other countries in terms of how many times I could fit it in, just because we live in a crowded little island, whereas elsewhere people have more land. It's a beautiful family home, and you've every right to be proud of where you live. I'm very happy with where I live too, it's just smaller because that's how we live here, no jealousy on my part, and I never meant anything by it other than a comparison.  :friends3:

Norfolk is on the eastside of Virginia near the ocean and Charlottesville is on the west side of the state in the foothills of the Blue Ridge Mountains. They are a good distance apart. The east coast near the ocean is much different than the west coast.  The west coast along the ocean is much prettier. However, the coast in parts of Maine is very nice.

Oh ya, the west coast is SO much different from the east!  I love being able to follow the western coast on Highway 1.  That was something we were let down by on the trip... via map, it looked like you would be right on the water, like on our coast, but then when we were driving on the east, there wasn't much ocean to see :(  We couldn't make it up to Maine, unfortunately.  It would have delayed our homecoming by a week and 1/2 or more.  Instead, we stayed in Boston, then drove through upstate NY to Niagara Falls (and almost got trapped in Canada for life... they are really strict up there- geez!)

I don't think I'd mind being trapped in Canada for life :lol:

I went to Toronto in 2013 with a friend, and we visited Niagara Falls. We stood by the bridge into the US and considered trying to cross (largely for the novelty of hopping the border), but we were unsure about the strictness of getting back if we did, so we left it.

I don't think I'd mind being trapped in Canada for life :lol:

I went to Toronto in 2013 with a friend, and we visited Niagara Falls. We stood by the bridge into the US and considered trying to cross (largely for the novelty of hopping the border), but we were unsure about the strictness of getting back if we did, so we left it.

Well, you had a passport, so that wouldn't have been a problem.  We didn't :)  On a whole, I found the Falls to be disappointing, but quite fulfilling when I threw my wedding ring in Bridal Falls (I'm divorced).

What, do you mean the opinion of you being a voracious reader with varied interests and talents, and excellent taste in home style and screened porches?   :smile:

Yep, I've gone right off you now I know!  :P

Thanks sunshine, but I think you're pulling my leg.  :D

No, no, no, no, no … don't stop posting photos!!! It was definitely a compliment. I feel awful for not explaining now … I always compare our house to those in other countries in terms of how many times I could fit it in, just because we live in a crowded little island, whereas elsewhere people have more land. It's a beautiful family home, and you've every right to be proud of where you live. I'm very happy with where I live too, it's just smaller because that's how we live here, no jealousy on my part, and I never meant anything by it other than a comparison.  :friends3:

LOL, now I feel awful because you feel awful.  :giggle2: I guess either I post them and take a chance or just not post them.  :smile:  :mellow: