Muggle Not - Books Read - 2015

muggle not

• Replies 261
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I don't think that is slow at all!  16 books in, what, 10 weeks?  That's not bad!  And its much better than I've been doing :)

I guess you are right. It puts me on track to equal last years reading quantity. The important thing though is that the books this year have been really, really good. I shouldn't even think of trying to keep up with Athena or Chesilbeach as obviously they are much faster readers than I. :) I keep wondering when Athena is going to read the book (Wish You Well) that I recommended to her. I am anxious to see how well she likes it as the last book I recommended (not to her) got a bad review by one of the members. :)

Edited by muggle not

I guess you are right. It puts me on track to equal last years reading quantity. The important thing though is that the books this year have been really, really good. I shouldn't even think of trying to keep up with Athena or Chesilbeach as obviously they are much faster readers than I. :) I keep wondering when Athena is going to read the book (Wish You Well) that I recommended to her. I am anxious to see how well she likes it as the last book I recommended (not to her) got a bad review by one of the members. :)

That *is* the most important thing!!!  Although I do read a lot, and I'm quick reader, I'd be happier reading an excellent book than reading three or four good ones in a week.  The main thing is to just enjoy your reading, and you certainly seem to be doing that.  I hope you find something to tide you over until one of your reserved books becomes available. :)

That *is* the most important thing!!!  Although I do read a lot, and I'm quick reader, I'd be happier reading an excellent book than reading three or four good ones in a week.  The main thing is to just enjoy your reading, and you certainly seem to be doing that.  I hope you find something to tide you over until one of your reserved books becomes available. :)

Thank you!! btw, did you rate the Humans. I am curious to see how well you liked it. Also, did you read The Radleys and if so, would you recommend it to me. Your recommendations are well taken.

The Humans was my book of the year last year, I thought it was excellent (here's my review).  I have read The Radleys and enjoyed it a lot, although I read it before The Humans and I don't think it is quite as good, but I would certainly still recommend it … The Humans was special though, and it would be hard to match it. :)

Since the start of this year, I'm really trying not to spend too much money on books and other 'less necessary' things. I've not bought any books online except one (one that I'm absolutely sure I'm going to like and want to own). I can't afford to spend much money and buying a book online normally means spending about 10 euros at a minimum (per book). It would appear the book has been translated into Dutch, but my own library doesn't have it (nor the English version). The one in Someren does have the Dutch book, but I think it will cost me money to get them to bring it to my library, but I'm not sure. I'll have to ask them when I'm there. Alternatively I can ask if my brother's girlfriend maybe has this book, as she is a fan of the author. I don't know if she does, but if she does I'm sure she would let me borrow it. I will ask her if she has it.

EDIT: She says she doesn't have it, but her aunt owns the book, so she's going to ask if I can borrow it :). She knows I'm always very careful with other people's stuff so she thinks her aunt won't find it a problem. Her aunt lives nearby and they see each other regularly, so it shouldn't be long before I'll know.

Edited by Athena

Since the start of this year, I'm really trying not to spend too much money on books and other 'less necessary' things. I've not bought any books online except one (one that I'm absolutely sure I'm going to like and want to own). I can't afford to spend much money and buying a book online normally means spending about 10 euros at a minimum (per book). It would appear the book has been translated into Dutch, but my own library doesn't have it (nor the English version). The one in Someren does have the Dutch book, but I think it will cost me money to get them to bring it to my library, but I'm not sure. I'll have to ask them when I'm there. Alternatively I can ask if my brother's girlfriend maybe has this book, as she is a fan of the author. I don't know if she does, but if she does I'm sure she would let me borrow it. I will ask her if she has it.

EDIT: She says she doesn't have it, but her aunt owns the book, so she's going to ask if I can borrow it :). She knows I'm always very careful with other people's stuff so she thinks her aunt won't find it a problem. Her aunt lives nearby and they see each other regularly, so it shouldn't be long before I'll know.

Sorry Athena, I thought you already owned the book. I really didn't mean to put you through an ordeal obtaining it. My bad!

Sorry Athena, I thought you already owned the book. I really didn't mean to put you through an ordeal obtaining it. My bad!

Thanks :). It's okay, I just felt a bit stressed about it this morning. Hopefully I can borrow it. I'm just trying really hard not to buy much online and to not spend much money as I've had some unexpected bills lately and I really needed to work on my spending as in the previous years I spent too much. Since my boyfriend moved here, we have to live off my benefits with two people instead of one, so money's tighter at the moment. I've been doing well so far in not spending as much as I used to, and I intend to keep this up, well I need to. I do look forward to reading the book though and I'll be sure to tell you what I think. I do hope the Dutch translation is good (obviously I'd rather read the English but at the price of a free loan I can't complain ;) ). My brother and his girlfriend are going to move into their new apartment together very soon, so I don't know when I'll see them next or when his girlfriend (her name is Kim) sees her aunt, but I still have some other books I want to read first anyway. It's very nice of Kim that she'll ask her aunt. She likes reading too so sometimes we talk about books :).

17. The Language of Hoofbeats - Catherine Ryan Hyde - 7.5/10 - A good read. A good read and as usual I shed a tear in the CRH book. :smile:

16. The Humans - Matt Haig - 9/10 - What a wonderful book. One of the best I have read this year,

15. The Last Dragonslayer - Jasper Fforde - 8/10 - Nice book. I really enjoyed it. The heroine, Jennifer Strange, was a delight.

14. Gathering Blue - Lois Lowry - 8/10 - I loved the book and the surprises it sprung on me although I thought something was going on. I immediately put the Messenger on hold at the library.

13. Shades of Grey - Jasper Fforde - 8/10...The deeper into the book I got the more I liked it. I can't wait until the next book in this series is written.

12. Thursday Next: First Among Sequels - Jasper Fforde - 7/10.....first half of book was ok, second half was very good and I enjoyed it. I like Thursday Next. :)

11. The Murder of Roger Ackroyd - Agatha Christie - 9/10

10. The Bridge - Robert Knott (Robert B. Parker follow-up) - 7/10

9. Breakfast of Champions - Kurt Vonnegut - sorry, no review / no rating....this just wasn't my type of book and it wouldn't be fair for me to rate it.

8. Murder On The Orient Express - 9/10 - Excellent & enjoyable book

7. The Universe Versus Alex Woods by Gavin Extence - 8/10 or probably 9/10 ...I really liked this book which is the first written by Gavin Extence.

6. Criminal by Karin Slaughter - 7/10

5. 1984 by George Orwell - 7/10 or maybe 8/10

4. And Then There Were None by Agatha Christie 9/10

3. The Girl Who Saved The King of Sweden by Jonas Jonasson - 8/10....a delightful book and I enjoyed it tremendously. Thanks for the recommendation. :)

2. Gray Mountain by John Grisham - 8/10

1. To Kill A Mockingbird by Harper Lee - 10/10....I can't say enough about this book. Absolutely a great book. One of the best I have ever read.

I am now #2 on the hold list at the library for the kindle version of Unbroken.

I'm glad you enjoyed The Language of Hoofbeats :). I plan to read at least a couple CRH books this year, though I don't own that particular one so my next one will be one of the ones I own that I haven't read yet.

18. Unbroken - Laura Hillenbrand - 9/10 - A great read. Non-Fiction doesn't get much better than this.

17. The Language of Hoofbeats - Catherine Ryan Hyde - 7.5/10 - A good read. A good read and as usual I shed a tear in the CRH book. :smile:

16. The Humans - Matt Haig - 9/10 - What a wonderful book. One of the best I have read this year,

15. The Last Dragonslayer - Jasper Fforde - 8/10 - Nice book. I really enjoyed it. The heroine, Jennifer Strange, was a delight.

14. Gathering Blue - Lois Lowry - 8/10 - I loved the book and the surprises it sprung on me although I thought something was going on. I immediately put the Messenger on hold at the library.

13. Shades of Grey - Jasper Fforde - 8/10...The deeper into the book I got the more I liked it. I can't wait until the next book in this series is written.

12. Thursday Next: First Among Sequels - Jasper Fforde - 7/10.....first half of book was ok, second half was very good and I enjoyed it. I like Thursday Next. :)

11. The Murder of Roger Ackroyd - Agatha Christie - 9/10

10. The Bridge - Robert Knott (Robert B. Parker follow-up) - 7/10

9. Breakfast of Champions - Kurt Vonnegut - sorry, no review / no rating....this just wasn't my type of book and it wouldn't be fair for me to rate it.

8. Murder On The Orient Express - 9/10 - Excellent & enjoyable book

7. The Universe Versus Alex Woods by Gavin Extence - 8/10 or probably 9/10 ...I really liked this book which is the first written by Gavin Extence.

6. Criminal by Karin Slaughter - 7/10

5. 1984 by George Orwell - 7/10 or maybe 8/10

4. And Then There Were None by Agatha Christie 9/10

3. The Girl Who Saved The King of Sweden by Jonas Jonasson - 8/10....a delightful book and I enjoyed it tremendously. Thanks for the recommendation. :)

2. Gray Mountain by John Grisham - 8/10

1. To Kill A Mockingbird by Harper Lee - 10/10....I can't say enough about this book. Absolutely a great book. One of the best I have ever read.

Edited by muggle not

18. Unbroken - Laura Hillenbrand - 9/10 - A great read. Non-Fiction doesn't get much better than this.

Woohoo!  :exc: I am so glad you liked it!  Now can I tell you my favorite part?  You'll never guess

The picture of him when he is on the skateboard, toward the end of the book, when he is in his 70's :) I couldn't say that before because I wasn't sure if you knew if he survived or not.

Woohoo!  :exc: I am so glad you liked it!  Now can I tell you my favorite part?  You'll never guess

The picture of him when he is on the skateboard, toward the end of the book, when he is in his 70's :) I couldn't say that before because I wasn't sure if you knew if he survived or not.

I laughed and laughed when I read the part where the prisoners had to bow to show there respect for Hirohito. :)

I am still in a state of shock to the cruelty of the POW's. The comparison of POW's in Japan versus Germany, and Italy was staggering.

I am having a good year for quality of reading so far. I am currently reading One, Two, Buckle My shoe by Agatha Christie. Kindle books I have on hold at the library are:

Messenger

Son

Nightingale

Girl On the Train

All the Light We Cannot See

The Rosie Project

I will read many others before reading the ones on hold. :)

Edited by muggle not

I laughed and laughed when I read the part where the prisoners had to bow to show there respect for Hirohito. :)

Oh!  I just realized what exactly you were referring too.  :giggle2:

I am having a good year for quality of reading so far. I am currently reading One, Two, Buckle My shoe by Agatha Christie. Kindle books I have on hold at the library are:

Messenger

Son

Nightingale

Girl On the Train

All the Light We Cannot See

The Rosie Project

I will read many others before reading the ones on hold. :)

Ya, I've been flirting with that All the Light We Cannot See as well, so I will be interested to see how like it.  Girl on a Train too, I might take this on vacation with me in May.

Oh!  I just realized what exactly you were referring too.  :giggle2:

Ya, I've been flirting with that All the Light We Cannot See as well, so I will be interested to see how like it.  Girl on a Train too, I might take this on vacation with me in May.

All The Light We Cannot See is on my wishlist too, and a lot of people are reading The Girl On The Train at the moment, I loved it :)

My wife read All The Light We Cannot See and she loved the book. she also read Nightingale and also liked it very much. The Girl On The Train is currently #1  on the books being read in the U.S.

I finished reading One, Two, Buckle My Shoe by Agatha Christie and give it a 8/10. Enjoyable read and as usual was surprised at the ending. I am now without a book to read. I have 6 kindle books on hold yet at the library. Hmmm, I may get one of my hardback's of Tortilla Flats or Cannery Row or Sweet Thursday and re-read it. I have already read them twice but a third time will be just as enjoyable

Edit: I have downloaded from the library Desert Gold by Zane Grey:)

Edited by muggle not

I'm glad you enjoyed the Agatha Christie book and I hope you enjoy your next read :). I'm glad you were able to borrow something, because being without a book to read is terrible!

I started reading the Zane Grey book Desert Gold last night and about 20 pages into it realized that I had already read the book so I am returning it to the library. I may download the CRH book that Anna has recently read and reviewed favorably.

Edited by muggle not

Edit: I have downloaded from the library Desert Gold by Zane Grey:)

Forgive me, but was it the Grey's or the Louis L'Amour collection you donated to the library?  I have the sample to a Louis L'Amour book I want to try on my vacation in May, so I thought I'd ask for a recommendation if you had one.  Out of the comfort zone and all.

I may download the CRH book that Anna has recently read and reviewed favorably.

Ohhh- I hope you like it :)  I'm sure you will.  I will either be doing The Year of My Miraculous Disappearance or, one of your favs, Becoming Chloe next!

Forgive me, but was it the Grey's or the Louis L'Amour collection you donated to the library?  I have the sample to a Louis L'Amour book I want to try on my vacation in May, so I thought I'd ask for a recommendation if you had one.  Out of the comfort zone and all.

Ohhh- I hope you like it :)  I'm sure you will.  I will either be doing The Year of My Miraculous Disappearance or, one of your favs, Becoming Chloe next!

I still have the Louis L'Amour collection although all packed up in boxes. Which book of his were you thinking of reading? A Western that I really recommend, other than my favorite Lonesome Dove, is Appaloosa by Robert B. Parker.

http://www.amazon.com/Appaloosa-Virgil-Cole-Everett-Hitch-ebook/dp/B000P2A3Y6/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1428079243&sr=1-1&keywords=appoloosa

Edited by muggle not

Lonesome Dove should definitely be on my TBR, wow!  It's almost a 1,000 pages :o   What about True Grit?   :giggle2:  

Oh- I picked The Sixth Shotgun because it is a collection of L'Amour stories, the title story and then The Rider of the Ruby Hills.  The Rider... was originally a magazine published piece that he expanded, this includes the original, so that is why I chose it :)

This was our bookcase in the family  room  of our house when we lived near Charlottesville, Virginia. The Louis L'Amour collection are the 'brown" books on the lower shelves on each side of fireplace. We also had bookcases upstairs in the bonus room. 

Edited by muggle not