Muggle Not - Books Read - 2015

muggle not

But given that you have a rating system that goes from 1 to 10, with 2-4 being pretty ambiguous and 1 being "I abandoned this book, it was too horrible to finish" it must have been pretty darn terrible not to get any kind of rating!

Ok, you shamed me into it. If I must I will rate it 2. :o

• Replies 261
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I am down to #86 on hold at the library for "Unbroken". The Library has 22 kindle copies though so I am getting fairly close.

I think you will really appreciate this book.  Did you read Seabiscuit by chance?

I am even closer with "Gathering Blue" and am #15 at the library and they have 11 kindle copies. It could come available for me any day.

That's great news! I can't wait for you to get it. :) I'll be looking forward to your thoughts.

I think you will really appreciate this book.  Did you read Seabiscuit by chance?

Yes, I read Seabiscuit and loved it. A great read.

Which one?

The Murder of Roger Ackroyd. I finished it last night. It was a very enjoyable book and I was surprised at the ending. :)

That's great news! I can't wait for you to get it. :) I'll be looking forward to your thoughts.

Thanks, I am very anxious to get the book. I really liked The Giver. What are you currently reading. :)

I just downloaded from the library ....Thursday Next: First of Sequels by Jasper Fforde while I wait on the Lois Lowry book. :) I haven't read Jasper Fforde for a while.

Edited by muggle not

I love your avatar muggle not.  :smile:

The Murder Of Roger Ackroyd is marvellous, and one of Agatha Christie's best books.  I am so glad that you enjoyed it. 

Thanks, poppy calls it one of my pets. I named him trouble .....and.... for good reason. He is one of the bears that I was really afraid of among the many that frequented our back yard.

I have now read 3 of Agatha Christie's books and loved all three. Now I need to select a fourth book of hers to put on my list.:)

The Murder of Roger Ackroyd. I finished it last night. It was a very enjoyable book and I was surprised at the ending. :)

That was the first Agatha Christie book I ever read. Unfortunately when I was partway through it, I read a spoiler for the ending on the back of another novel. :( But it was still a great book!

Thanks, I am very anxious to get the book. I really liked The Giver. What are you currently reading. :)

I'm reading a few books at the moment, including Son, which is the fourth book in The Giver quadrilogy. :)

I am down to #86 on hold at the library for "Unbroken". The Library has 22 kindle copies though so I am getting fairly close.

I am even closer with "Gathering Blue" and am #15 at the library and they have 11 kindle copies. It could come available for me any day.

I am looking forward to both books. In the meantime I am getting close to finishing another Agatha Christie book. :)

This may be a stupid question, but I've never borrowed digital books from a library.... why is there a cap on the number of digital copies available at a library?

This may be a stupid question, but I've never borrowed digital books from a library.... why is there a cap on the number of digital copies available at a library?

Actually, I didn't know that there was a cap on the number of digital copies available. I believe it is just based on economics and popularity.. I did a little check of our library and for example.....there are 36 copies of Gray Mountain by John Grisham, 22 copies of Unbroken by Laura Hildebrand, 11 copies of Gathering Blue, etc. Economics would prevent the library to just going out and purchasing 100 ebook copies of everything. I very seldom find that I have to wait an excessive period of time, sometimes yes. But there are plenty of books available to choose. Also, remember the library carries books in many different formats. Ebooks, hardcover, audio, etc.

And why haven't you borrowed ebooks from the library. It is an economical way of reading many, many books. Last year I believe I borrowed about 55 ebooks from the library which saved me a good bit of $$$. :)

Edited by muggle not

That's great to hear :)!

How does it work with borrowing a digital book from the library? I much prefer paperbooks, but anyway I think my Kindle and my library are not compatible, as my Kindle can't read epub and I think that's what the library uses. I think the library has an app for ebooks, which one can put on a tablet or phone and then log in to the library, but I don't like to read books that way as the screen does my head in after a while. Just wondering how it works in other countries?

The libraries in my area can't support Kindle format for their e-book loans, so I can't borrow from them.  The libraries in different areas are run separately, so it may be possible for Kindle users in other areas.  If I could borrow from the library I would, but I've have to buy another device. I did look into it to see if it would be worth it, but the library selection at the time wasn't great. I'll maybe look at it again in future, but for the moment, I'll just have to buy my e-books instead!  

The libraries in my area can't support Kindle format for their e-book loans, so I can't borrow from them.  The libraries in different areas are run separately, so it may be possible for Kindle users in other areas.  If I could borrow from the library I would, but I've have to buy another device. I did look into it to see if it would be worth it, but the library selection at the time wasn't great. I'll maybe look at it again in future, but for the moment, I'll just have to buy my e-books instead!  

It didn't cross my mind that your library may not carry the kindle format. I believe all, or at least most, libraries in the U.S. carry kindle versions. You may consider asking the library why they don't carry kindle versions. It seems that there are many kindle users in the U.K. from what I see here on the forum that it would justify their use. And you could also have any friends that use kindle to call the library. LOL, strength in numbers.

Don't get me wrong. I am not "selling" kindle. Just that it is the most popular device used and it would also benefit the library to use the device, I would think.

Edited by muggle not

The reason it's restricted is because Amazon do not allow third party DRM content to be used on their eReaders (although there is an app you can download if you have a Kindle Fire).  The library service I use covers a wide region not just my local town, so it's not a case of people petitioning for the Kindle usage, as it's not a single library but a group of over 100 and covers 1.5 million people, and it's the restrictions that Amazon have put in place that are the issue.  Not surprising really, Amazon want you to buy their ebooks and use their subscription lending library.  I got my Kindle before the libraries even looked at lending digital books, but to be honest, I never used the library frequently when I only read paperbacks, so I can't complain too much that they don't cater for me.

I copied the formats and devices that are used at the library in the city where I live in the U.S.:

Edited by muggle not

That's great to hear :)!

How does it work with borrowing a digital book from the library? I much prefer paperbooks, but anyway I think my Kindle and my library are not compatible, as my Kindle can't read epub and I think that's what the library uses. I think the library has an app for ebooks, which one can put on a tablet or phone and then log in to the library, but I don't like to read books that way as the screen does my head in after a while. Just wondering how it works in other countries?

I guess that libraries are different in different Countries. In the U.S. it is very simple for me to access a kindle format ebook. Click on my library link (HEHE, I have deleted my password)

Next, for an example, in the upper right corner type John Grisham in the advanced search box and do the search.

It will then show all books by John Grisham

Next, on the left side click on "Format" and it will show all digital formats available.

Next, click on kindle format and it will then show you all John Grisham books available in kindle format.

Next, you have to be signed in to see how many copies there are and how many are available. If available, you simple click on the download button. If not available, you can click on the hold button for when it does become available.

EDIT - I had to delete the link because my password couldn't be deleted from it.

Edited by muggle not

Thanks for your reply, Muggle Not :)! It's interesting to hear how other libraries handle this and how it works.

In the Netherlands, hardly anyone has a Kindle I think. With Amazon.nl now existing I expect they will become more popular though (but before that, you had to buy a Kindle off the Amazon.com website, like I did, and buy Kindle books there, so they were all in English and not Dutch). I believe most other sites that sell Dutch ebooks, use the .epub format which the Kindle can't read. E-reader wise I'm not sure which ones are popular these days. The Samsung ones were the best ones a few years ago (minus the Kindle) but Samsung has stopped production of them. I think the Kobo is more popular perhaps, which didn't exist in the Netherlands a few years ago. It's strange how different it is, most American sites rank the Kindle as one of the best e-readers, whereas Dutch sites there is sometimes not even a mention of them (at least, back when I was looking at buying an e-reader, so that was a few years ago). I personally quite like my Kindle, as an e-reader. It'll be interesting to see what the market will do.

I could always ask at my library, when there is someone available, how the loaning would work. Though I do much prefer paperbooks, but just out of curiosity. I use my e-reader these days mainly for reading free ebooks and for books that aren't (easily) available in paperback here, such as short stories (or short story collections) or Kindle Singles or information books (for an information book I don't mind it as much that it's an ebook, because I like the Kindle's highlighting feature).

Thanks again for telling me how it works for your library, Muggle Not, and yours, Chesil :).

An update on books read this year.

11. The Murder of Roger Ackroyd - Agatha Christie - 9/10

10. The Bridge - Robert Knott (Robert B. Parker follow-up) - 7/10

9. Breakfast of Champions - Kurt Vonnegut - sorry, no review / no rating....this just wasn't my type of book and it wouldn't be fair for me to rate it.

8. Murder On The Orient Express - 9/10 - Excellent & enjoyable book

7. The Universe Versus Alex Woods by Gavin Extence - 8/10 or probably 9/10 ...I really liked this book which is the first written by Gavin Extence.

6. Criminal by Karin Slaughter - 7/10

5. 1984 by George Orwell - 7/10 or maybe 8/10

4. And Then There Were None by Agatha Christie 9/10

3. The Girl Who Saved The King of Sweden by Jonas Jonasson - 8/10....a delightful book and I enjoyed it tremendously. Thanks for the recommendation. :)

2. Gray Mountain by John Grisham - 8/10

1. To Kill A Mockingbird by Harper Lee - 10/10....I can't say enough about this book. Absolutely a great book. One of the best I have ever read

Now reading Thursday Next: The First in Sequels by Jasper Fforde

An update on books read this year.

12. Thursday Next: First Among Sequels - Jasper Fforde - 7/10.....first half of book was ok, second half was very good and I enjoyed it. I like Thursday Next. :)

11. The Murder of Roger Ackroyd - Agatha Christie - 9/10

10. The Bridge - Robert Knott (Robert B. Parker follow-up) - 7/10

9. Breakfast of Champions - Kurt Vonnegut - sorry, no review / no rating....this just wasn't my type of book and it wouldn't be fair for me to rate it.

8. Murder On The Orient Express - 9/10 - Excellent & enjoyable book

7. The Universe Versus Alex Woods by Gavin Extence - 8/10 or probably 9/10 ...I really liked this book which is the first written by Gavin Extence.

6. Criminal by Karin Slaughter - 7/10

5. 1984 by George Orwell - 7/10 or maybe 8/10

4. And Then There Were None by Agatha Christie 9/10

3. The Girl Who Saved The King of Sweden by Jonas Jonasson - 8/10....a delightful book and I enjoyed it tremendously. Thanks for the recommendation. :)

2. Gray Mountain by John Grisham - 8/10

1. To Kill A Mockingbird by Harper Lee - 10/10....I can't say enough about this book. Absolutely a great book. One of the best I have ever read

Edited by muggle not

No, I haven't read the Nursery Crime books. Thanks, I will probably give them a try. I really, really, like Thursday Next. :)

I am without a book to read at this moment. I am now #5 on the library list for the kindle version of Gathering Blue and the library has 11 copies so I could get it at any time. My predicament, should I wait on the library for Gathering Blue or get another book (undetermined) from the library that is available. I am also #46 for Unbroken and the library has 26 copies.

Edited by muggle not

I hope you like them, if you try them. :)

I wouldn't be able to wait for a copy of either of the other two books to become available, I'd have to find something else to read in the meantime!  Good luck with your next book, whichever option you take. :D  

You could always have a look for the first Nursery Crimes book? ;)  It's called The Big Over Easy.

I hope you like them, if you try them. :)

I wouldn't be able to wait for a copy of either of the other two books to become available, I'd have to find something else to read in the meantime!  Good luck with your next book, whichever option you take. :D  

You could always have a look for the first Nursery Crimes book? ;)  It's called The Big Over Easy.

The library has a lot of Ffforde books but not the Nursery Crimes. So, I downloaded Shades of Grey which they did have. Hopefully it will be a quick read as I am now down to #4 on the hold list and with 11 copies I could get Gathering Blue at any time. :)

Edited by muggle not

The library has a lot of Ffforde books but not the Nursery Crimes. So, I downloaded Shades of Grey which they did have. Hopefully it will be a quick read as I am now down to #4 on the hold list and with 11 copies I could get Gathering Blue at any time. :)

Did the 50 fall off?   Probably the shock of it all :giggle2: