Muggle Not - Books Read - 2015

muggle not

My first book read in 2015 is probably one of the best books that I have "ever" read:

To Kill A Mockingbird by Harper Lee........I rate it a 10/10

If any members have not read the book, I strongly urge you to do so as it is sooooo good.

• Replies 261
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I read it for the first time three years ago and it certainly does live up to the moniker of 'classic'. Given all the garbage I was forced to read in high school I am boggled as to why we didn't study a book like Mockingbird. 

What a wonderful book to start your year with Muggle Not. I hope all your reading brings you pleasure this year.  :smile:

Why thank you! :readingtwo:   btw, I posted a Christmas card for you and others and you didn't "look" at it. I thought I had done something wrong. :grinhat:

Hope you have a good reading year in 2015! :D

Thank you very much. I am now reading Gray Mountain by John Grisham and it is also very good (so far as I am about 65% into it). My year is starting out pretty good. may your year also have good reading.

Happy reading this year Muggle!

Same to you. I had 3 books on hold at the library and they all came available almost at the same time so I had to decline "Unbroken" and put it back on hold and I am now 222  on the hold list......arrrrgh.

Hope you have a great reading year, Muggle Not. :smile:

I read To Kill A Mockingbird many years ago, and it is a book that stays with you for a long time. I'm glad you enjoyed it, and it's always good to start the year off with a great book.

Same to you. I had 3 books on hold at the library and they all came available almost at the same time so I had to decline "Unbroken" and put it back on hold and I am now 222  on the hold list......arrrrgh.

Oh no!  It's so good!  But that is a lot of books :giggle2: I noticed it was back at the top of the best seller list again, so 222 sounds a bit right!  My mom just saw the movie last night... since I have read the book so many times, I declined :) 

Did you see my 2014 note about An Abundance of Katherines by John Green?  I think you'd like it, could probably get through it in a day or two.

I haven't read To Kill A Mockingbird since I was in Junior Cert (which is age 14 and 15). I think studying it a chapter at a time probably killed it for me a little bit, but I do remember the bit of the ending about Boo Radley and I loved that. I had a hamster for a couple of years named Boo (because she was so nervous of coming out of her cage when I got her :lol: )

As for An Abundance Of Katherines, it's the last remaining Green book I've to read. Gonna tackle it this year.

Shame about the hold list :(

Athena has given me permission to use her rating system on books read, so I will use it this year:

1 -   I abandoned this book, it was too horrible to finish
2-4  I didn't enjoy the book much, there were too many things I struggled with
5 -   Eh.. it was allright but there were quite a few problems with the book
6 -   It was enjoyable but nothing special
7 -   The book was enjoyable but not without its flaws
8 -   Pretty good
9 -   I really enjoyed the books
10 - An absolutely awesome book I really enjoyed

Books read so far in 2015

1. To Kill A Mockingbird by Harper Lee - 10/10....I can't say enough about this book. Absolutely a great book. One of the best I have ever read

2. Gray Mountain by John Grisham - 8/10

I am currently reading The Girl Who Saved The King of Sweden.......so far it is pretty good but I am only 5% into it. :)

I have Unbroken by Laura Hildebrand on hold at the library

Edited by muggle not

You're welcome Muggle, I feel flattered :).

I'm glad you really liked To Kill a Mockingbird. I read it for my English class when I was a teenager, I hope to re-read it some day as I don't remember as much of it as I'd like. I really liked it when I read it back then.

I hope you enjoy The Girl Who Saved the King of Sweden, it's on my TBR.

3. The Girl Who Saved The King of Sweden by Jonas Jonasson - 8/10....a delightful book and I enjoyed it tremendously. Thanks for the recommendation. :)

1. To Kill A Mockingbird by Harper Lee - 10/10....I can't say enough about this book. Absolutely a great book. One of the best I have ever read

I am now starting "And Then There Were None" by Agatha Christie

I still have "Unbroken" by Laura Hildebrand on hold at the library. I believe I am about #203 on the hold list although it isn't as bad as it looks because the library has 22 copies.

Edited by muggle not

3. The Girl Who Saved The King of Sweden by Jonas Jonasson - 8/10....a delightful book and I enjoyed it tremendously. Thanks for the recommendation. :)

I am now starting "And Then There Were None" by Agatha Christie

Which did you like best Muggles, The Hundred Year Old Man or The Girl Who Save the King ?

Have you read any Agatha Christie before?

Which did you like best Muggles, The Hundred Year Old Man or The Girl Who Save the King ?

Have you read any Agatha Christie before?

Tough question and one I can't answer as I liked both books by Jonasson. I really liked Nombreko though. :)

I think I may have read a few Agatha Christie's many years ago but thought I would start reading a few again now and then as our library has many of her's.

I've only read a few by Agatha Christie, and And Then There Were None was one of my favourites. Well, they're all pretty wonderful, really. I don't think you can go wrong with her! :)

Thanks, the nice thing is that I can get them from the library "when-I-want-them" at no cost. Simply download them to my kindle. I will probably use her books as fill in when waiting for others that I may have on hold at the library or between other reads that I am into. That doesn't mean that I treat her books any less than others but just that they are available anytime I want them. :)

• 2 weeks later...

To Kill a Mockingbird is such a great book. So glad you read and enjoyed it :)

Yes, it was one of the greatest I have read. I would recommend it to everyone. :)

An update on books read so far in 2015 (btw, I ended 2014 by reading Great Expectations by Charles Dickens and started 2015 by reading To Kill A Mockingbird by Harper Lee, how lucky can a person be) :)

7. The Universe Versus Alex Woods by Gavin Extence .....I am about 70% into the book and it is very, very, good.

6. Criminal by Karin Slaughter - 7/10

5. 1984 by George Orwell - 7/10 or maybe 8/10

4. And Then There Were None by Agatha Christie 9/10

Edited by muggle not