Muggle Not - Books Read - 2015

muggle not

I also am looking forward to the books I have on hold at the library and a couple more that the library doesn't have but I have requested them to get. :)

I hope you enjoy them when the library gets them :). How long does it take for a requested book to get to your library?

• Replies 261
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

You've been a busy reader, Muggles. :) Interesting info about the newest Millennium book. I hope to read it one day.

Did you notice that I had Go set A Watchman on my hold list. :)

I hope you enjoy them when the library gets them :). How long does it take for a requested book to get to your library?

It varies how long it takes, anywhere from a week to 3 weeks and some times the library doesn't see fit to fulfill the request. I was notified that the House of the Rising Sun is ready for me to download. This was James Lee Burke's newest book and isn't supposed to be released until Dec. 2 or Dec. 4. I had requested it prior to the release.

I just finished The Magic strings of Frankie Presto and I rate it 10 / 10. I just loved this book. The Following is from Amazon:

Mitch Albom creates his most unforgettable fictional character—Frankie Presto, the greatest guitarist to ever walk the earth—in this magical novel about the bands we join in life and the power of talent to change our lives.

In his most stunning novel yet, the voice of Music narrates the tale of its most beloved disciple, young Frankie Presto, a war orphan raised by a blind music teacher in a small Spanish town. At nine years old, Frankie is sent to America in the bottom of a boat. His only possession is an old guitar and six precious strings.

But Frankie’s talent is touched by the gods, and his amazing journey weaves him through the musical landscape of the 20th century, from classical to jazz to rock and roll, with his stunning talent affecting numerous stars along the way, including Hank Williams, Elvis Presley, Carole King, Wynton Marsalis and even KISS.

Frankie becomes a pop star himself. He makes records. He is adored. But his gift is also his burden, as he realizes, through his music, he can actually affect people’s futures—with one string turning blue whenever a life is altered.

At the height of his popularity, Frankie Presto vanishes. His legend grows. Only decades later, does he reappear—just before his spectacular death—to change one last life.

With its Forest Gump-like romp through the music world, The Magic Strings of Frankie Presto is a classic in the making. A lifelong musician himself, Mitch Albom delivers a remarkable novel, infused with the message that “everyone joins a band in this life” and those connections change us all.

post-3652-0-22552800-1449015717_thumb.jpg

I am down to #12 on the hold list for Go Set A Watchman. A long ways off yet.

I just finished House of the Rising Sun by James Lee Burke (one of my favorite authors) and only rate it a 7 / 10. It was an ok read but far from his better books. Some of the book seemed to be all about his "prose" and he got away from the story. I think he is getting carried away somewhat from his story telling and concentrating on how good he can get with the "prose" aspect of writing. Anyhow, that is MHO.

I strongly recommend his "Dave Robicheaux" series. They are really good hard-hitting books. I thought Wayfaring Stranger was ok but not as good as most of his Dave Robichaeux series books. Another I really liked was his book of short stories...."Jesus Out To Sea"

I finished reading Spider Woman's Daughter by Anne Hillerman and was pleasantly surprised by the book. I rate it a enthusiastic 8 / 10. The book was very enjoyable and Anne Hillerman took up where her father,,,,,the late great author .....Tony Hillerman, left off. She continues with the Navajo Nation series that Tony made so popular in the U.S.

If you have never read any of Tony Hillerman's books I would strongly recommend his book Thief of Time about the Navajo Nation. A great, great, book.

I am currently reading "Sons by Pearl S. Buck".

Edited by muggle not

• 2 weeks later...

I finished the Trilogy by Pearl S. Buck.....The Good Earth, Sons, and A House Divided. I rate this Trilogy among some of the best books that I have read. It will probably be listed in my top 10 favorites. Excellent reading!! Thanks Anna for putting me on to this Trilogy.

btw, did you see the portrait of her that was taken in 1933 when she was 41 years old, she was a stunning woman, not to mention brilliant. The Honors she received including the Pullitzer were amazing.

I've often wanted to read Tony Hillerman, Muggle, but I guess I should look at Anne's work too!  I don't know if you've seen my posts about the author William Kent Krueger, but he has a crime series that is set in Northern MN on/near an Indian reservation and the protagonist is half Ojibwe.  I love his writing style and hope to read beyond the first 2 books in the series.

I finished the Trilogy by Pearl S. Buck.....The Good Earth, Sons, and A House Divided. I rate this Trilogy among some of the best books that I have read. It will probably be listed in my top 10 favorites. Excellent reading!! Thanks Anna for putting me on to this Trilogy.

btw, did you see the portrait of her that was taken in 1933 when she was 41 years old, she was a stunning woman, not to mention brilliant. The Honors she received including the Pullitzer were amazing.

You are so welcome and I am happy you liked my favorite books of all time :)  Which did you like best?  You read the last two pretty quick!

I did see that picture, wow- she must have been amazing.  And such a life!

I've often wanted to read Tony Hillerman, Muggle, but I guess I should look at Anne's work too!  I don't know if you've seen my posts about the author William Kent Krueger, but he has a crime series that is set in Northern MN on/near an Indian reservation and the protagonist is half Ojibwe.  I love his writing style and hope to read beyond the first 2 books in the series.

Try reading "Thief of Time" by Tony Hillerman. If you find that you like his writing you will have much reading available to you since he wrote quite a few books. I have read all of his books :)

Edited by muggle not

You are so welcome and I am happy you liked my favorite books of all time :)  Which did you like best?  You read the last two pretty quick!

I did see that picture, wow- she must have been amazing.  And such a life!

I would find it difficult to pick one of the books over another. They were all soooo good. I wish that Pearl Buck could/would have continued the series. It is really amazing that people like Pearl Buck lived such interesting lives and how she contributed so much to the U.S. understanding of China.