Muggle Not - Books Read - 2015

muggle not

You've read a few books this year that have been on my list for ages - I definitely need to pick up To Kill A Mockingbird faster! 

Please, please read To Kill A Mockingbird. It is just a fantastic book. I know you will enjoy it.

• Replies 261
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

You're certainly having a great reading year so far, Muggles! What an awesome selection of books! Speaking of Muggles, I'm currently watching Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban. :)

Thanks, so far I am enjoying my reading this year as the books have been great.

I hope you enjoy the Harry Potter movie. I certainly did. :D

Edited by muggle not

An update on books read this year.

7. The Universe Versus Alex Woods by Gavin Extence - 8/10 or probably 9/10 ...I really liked this book which is the first written by Gavin Extence.

6. Criminal by Karin Slaughter - 7/10

5. 1984 by George Orwell - 7/10 or maybe 8/10

4. And Then There Were None by Agatha Christie 9/10

3. The Girl Who Saved The King of Sweden by Jonas Jonasson - 8/10....a delightful book and I enjoyed it tremendously. Thanks for the recommendation. :)

2. Gray Mountain by John Grisham - 8/10

1. To Kill A Mockingbird by Harper Lee - 10/10....I can't say enough about this book. Absolutely a great book. One of the best I have ever read

Edited by muggle not

The Universe Versus Alex Woods sounds like an interesting book, I might have a look to see if the library has it at some point. I'm glad you enjoyed it :).

The more I think about the book the more I realize how good it was. It had some "quirkiness" in it at first which was interesting but then got into some very serious stuff that makes a person think. The main character "Alex" is the kind of friend that we all should be so lucky to have.

It's so nice to read a positive vote for a book I have on my TBR pile, The Universe Versus Alex Woods has manoeuvred itself higher up the pending reads! :smile:  

I should avoid your thread Muggle, my TBR pile is big enough already.  :giggle2:

I think that you will enjoy both books......Wish You Well and The Universe Versus Alex Woods. btw, how many of Neil Gaiman's books have you read, there are some good ones by him. :)

I have read Neverwhere, American Gods, The Graveyard Book and The Ocean At The End Of The Lane by him, and I have a few others ready and waiting for me.  :smile:  I love his imaginative and inspiring writing. 

The Graveyard Book and Stardust are two of my favorites although I have enjoyed all of his books (and I have read most except maybe some of the "short" stories). The first one of Gaiman's books that I read was Coraline which was recommended to me by a mutual friend. :) Neverwhere was also good and so was The Ocean At The End of The Lane. LOL, I guess they all were good.

The Universe Versus Alex Woods made it onto my wishlist based off mentions elsewhere on the forum, can't remember where - but great to see more people talking so positively about it :D

The Universe Versus Alex Woods has a good bit of "quirkiness" (enjoyable quirkiness:)) in the first third or half of the book and then it gets serious and really makes a person think during the second half as there is some controversy involved. As I mentioned elsewhere, I would love to have a person as nice as Alex for a friend. I keep thinking about the book and may re-read it again very soon. If I said more I am afraid I would give away the plot. I definitely now rate it a 9/10.

Edited by muggle not

8. Murder On The Orient Express - 9/10 - Excellent & enjoyable book

7. The Universe Versus Alex Woods by Gavin Extence - 8/10 or probably 9/10 ...I really liked this book which is the first written by Gavin Extence.

3. The Girl Who Saved The King of Sweden by Jonas Jonasson - 8/10....a delightful book and I enjoyed it tremendously. Thanks for the recommendation. :)

1. To Kill A Mockingbird by Harper Lee - 10/10....I can't say enough about this book. Absolutely a great book. One of the best I have ever read

Now I am starting to read (tonight) Breakfast of Champions by Kurt Vonnegut

Edited by muggle not

9. Breakfast of Champions - Kurt Vonnegut - sorry, no review / no rating....this just wasn't my type of book and it wouldn't be fair for me to rate it.

Now I am starting to read (tonight) The Bridge by Robert B. Parker

10. The Bridge - Robert Knott (Robert B. Parker follow-up) - 7/10

9. Breakfast of Champions - Kurt Vonnegut - sorry, no review / no rating....this just wasn't my type of book and it wouldn't be fair for me to rate it.

Now reading The Murder of Roger Ackroyd by Agatha Christie

Edited by muggle not

Is this the first time you've read any Agatha Christie's Muggle? I went through a stage of reading most of her books, I very rarely solved the mystery, but enjoyed them all immensely. :)

Yes, this is the first that I have read Agatha Christie. I have enjoyed the first two books very much. It is nice to have her books available at the library when I am waiting on other more current books that are on hold at the library. I currently have Unbroken, The Girl On The Train, and Gathering Blue on hold at the library. Gathering Blue should be available to me soon. :)

I am down to #86 on hold at the library for "Unbroken". The Library has 22 kindle copies though so I am getting fairly close.

I am even closer with "Gathering Blue" and am #15 at the library and they have 11 kindle copies. It could come available for me any day.

I am looking forward to both books. In the meantime I am getting close to finishing another Agatha Christie book. :)

Edited by muggle not

But given that you have a rating system that goes from 1 to 10, with 2-4 being pretty ambiguous and 1 being "I abandoned this book, it was too horrible to finish" it must have been pretty darn terrible not to get any kind of rating!