What one book would you buy ALL your friends and family?

chaliepud

I read on another forum today about someone who bought everyone who attended their wedding a copy of To Kill A Mockingbird as a table gift, and it got me thinking what book I would give all my friends and family should I have the opportunity. I thought it might be an interesting question to ask the forum?

So, what would you buy? Maybe one fiction and one non-fiction?

For fiction I would of course choose Human Traces by Sebastian Faulks:blush2:

For non-fiction I would give everyone Grain Brain by Dr David Perlmutter, a book that last summer set me on the path to better health, I have plenty more since that have helped but this one was the trigger.  :smile:

Edited by chaliepud

Non-Fiction - Tuesdays With Morrie by Mitch Albom.

Fiction is tougher, because a lot of the books I think are great are not necessarily ones I would share with everyone. Maybe... The Importance Of Being Earnest by Oscar Wilde. It's a play, not a novel, but it's short, hilarious, and a classic. Even if classics or plays aren't someone's thing (they definitely aren't mine), I think most people with a sense of humour could potentially enjoy it.

Hmmm .. it's a bit of a minefield isn't it? For every book I love there's at least five people that hate it .. and that's just on here :D

If it was my wedding then I'd probably choose Pride and Prejudice by Jane Austen .. no-one could be too angry about that though really .. I don't think many of the men would be that enamoured :blush2: Not sure about non fiction ... most of the books I love in that genre would be too upsetting not to say relentlessly grim .. which doesn't strike the right chord. I think I may well buy them 1001 Books To Read Before You Die :D Or Cider with Rosie ... that's a memoir I really love.  

The people I know and am related to are so diverse in their views and opinions that it would be hopeless for me to get them all the same book (fiction or non-fiction) that I happen to like.

I've also found that trying to guess the right book for people is also a difficult ask, so now I give book tokens rather than waste money getting people something I think they will like that they never end up reading.

As I'm sure a lot of people here will agree, the enjoyment of a book is something very personal.  Although a book might be deemed great or bad by a lot of people, it will often come down to personal taste or reading the book at the right time.

My personal take is to give people book tokens so they will at least end up reading something, and I view that as win-win both ways.

If you were to ask me what books I think everyone should read, that is a different matter.  I would also go with Nineteen Eighty-Four for fiction, but Band of Brothers for non-fiction.

I think I'd have to go with the wedding people's choice, To Kill A Mockingbird, for fiction.

For non-fiction I'd choose either Gerald Durrell's My Family and Other Animals, for it's pure joyfulness, or Mr God, This Is Anna by Fynn. I have to agree with Raven though about book loves being so personal. Two of my friends who I recommended Mr God, This Is Anna to didn't like it much and I've read on here criticism of Durrell's book as being too idyllic.

Like Poppy, I would have to agree with To Kill a Mockingbird. It is the only book that I can't imagine anyone not liking (although I'm sure there are some crazy people out there who dislike it, just to be difficult ;)).

I do love the idea of Pride and Prejudice for a lovely, romantic choice, but like Poppyshake said, some men might not like it, and I'm not sure about people who haven't read too many classics; they might not like the style of writing.

For a slightly more twisted choice, you could go for Wuthering Heights. :D

To Kill A Mockingbird.....I would recommend this book without any reservations.

So would I, but as everybody else is nominating it, I'm going to suggest an alternative, one that has been loved by everybody I know who has read it, and in a very quiet way, says a lot about life and living: 

A Month in the Country by JL Carr.

The non-fiction book is harder, probably one of two:

The Rights of the Reader by Daniel Pennac,

because what it says in such a brilliant way is desperately important, and so often ignored, or drowned out by people who think they know better (but don't!).

Touching the Void by Joe Simpson

because of what it says about the human spirit, and how it says it (brilliantly!).

Edited by willoyd

Probably would say Kill Whitey by Brian Keene. It's not a book i'd give to my niece lol but everyone else (family & friends) I think would enjoy it. And it's considerably short (196 pages). I always try getting everyone to read but they're all too lazy or uninterested. Their loss...

I definitely agree that To Kill A Mockingbird would be an excellent choice.  I'm thinking for fiction, I would either go with that or Fahrenheit 451 by Ray Bradbury.  I think that it has stood the test of time and is very spot-on with it's descriptions of the future.

For nonfiction, I'm going with a practical reference rather than creative, and that would be Country Skills: A Practical Guide to Self-Sufficiency by Alison Candlin.  It would come in super hand in case of, let's say, a zombie apocalypse or the like. :D You never know when your survival might depend on knowing how to gather mushrooms and raise chickens.

I would choose The Voyage of the Dawn Treader by C.S. Lewis. As children, both my husband and I loved the Chronicles of Narnia, and The Dawn Treader had been each of our favorite book by far. We discovered this, and our mutual passion for reading, on our first date. Since it was the first thing I loved about him, I think it's only fitting that it would have been the book handed out at our wedding.

It's difficult, because the temptation is to choose a book that you personally have loved.  I think To Kill a Mockingbird is a terrific choice.  I'm also tempted to say Emma, by Jane Austen, because I love it so much, but I know a lot of people who don't like Jane Austen.  Non-fiction - probably either Dead Man Walking, by Sister Helen Prejean, or Schindler's Ark, by Thomas Keneally.  But I wouldn't want people to think I was forcing my own views upon them.

Edited by Ruth

Hehe. I love the idea of putting Dead Man Walking on tables at weddings. I have no idea what it's about, but the title would surely give guests a chuckle, and perhaps make them feel sorry for the groom. ;)

I bought a few friends the same books and it was 'The 100 year old man who climbed out the window and disappeared' by Jonas Jonasson & 'The Rabbit Back Literature Society' by Pasi Ilmari Jääskeläinen because I liked them and I knew (hoped) they would enjoy them. My family are not big readers. :)

Hehe. I love the idea of putting Dead Man Walking on tables at weddings. I have no idea what it's about, but the title would surely give guests a chuckle, and perhaps make them feel sorry for the groom. ;)

It's about the death penalty in the US written by a nun...

:P  ;)

No, really.  It is.

I didn't think of that.  Perhaps not appropriate to give out at a wedding!  But it truly is a fantastic book - so thought-provoking and moving.

It's about the death penalty in the US written by a nun...

:P;)

No, really. It is.

What's the authors name? I tried looking for it on GoodReads but there are a lot of titles by that name.

Edited by Devi