Books about Freak Shows?

Is anyone aware of any fiction books about freak shows, or maybe even circuses?

Beth is doing an art project, and she chose 'Fantastic and Strange' and is narrowing it down to 'Stories'. She's going to start with Alice in Wonderland, and maybe look at some of the original Grimm fairytales, but she's also interested in freak shows and circuses - but she needs some books or stories to base that on.

Plus, any other ideas for books (preferably more well known rather than modern) about 'Fantastic and Strange' would be helpful.

Well, I've got The Night Circus by Erin Morgenstern on my TBR, I believe multiple people on the forum have read it and liked it. I've read A. C. Baantjer and Peter Römer - Baantjer 72: De Cock en de Moord in het Circus but that's only available in Dutch so that won't help you. That's all I can think of for now.

EDIT: Sorry, the phone rang so when I posted this there was only the original post in here.

Edited by Athena

Stardust by Neil Gaiman came to mind, there's the festival at the beginning which links the real and fantastical worlds.

Angela Carter's Night at the Circus too, maybe. I haven't read this but it seems to be along the right lines.

If poetry counts then Christina Rosetti's Goblin Market would be interesting.

Maybe some of Dickens' short ghost stories like The Story of the Goblins Who Stole a Sexton. That's actually an interesting one from a visual perspective, very 'smoke and mirrors', some people think it was inspired by magic lantern performances.

It might be interesting to look at Hans Christen Andersen's The Little Mermaid alongside the images of the 'real' mermaid they 'discovered' in the 1820's (it was actually pieces of different animals sewn together; I'm fairly sure it was a tuna and a monkey but I can check if your interested). This is the illustration of the 'mermaid' by George Cruikshank http://www.wikigallery.org/wiki/painting_228623/George-Cruikshank-I/The-Mermaid-Now-Exhibiting-at-the-Turf-Coffee-House-St-Jamess-Street. Slightly disturbing but fits quite well with a freak show theme.

Anyway it sounds like a really interesting project, I hope Beth has fun with it :smile:

• 2 months later...