poppyshake

• Replies 868
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

sladehouseone.jpg

Slade House by David Mitchell

Great review, I think I will have to add this to my wishlist :smile2:

Ooh, Slade House sounds wonderful! I've been a bit wary of reading David Mitchell again after Cloud Atlas (which I had mixed feelings for), but this sounds very different and more my cup of tea. :)

Slade House sounds fantastic - I have two books by him sitting at home but I've never gotten around to reading them because I expected them to be quite dense and demanding. This sounds like it will be a good one to give me a sense of his writing and see if I want to tackle the other two.

Slade House sounds great, but I'm still a bit wary of David Mitchell. I couldn't finish Black Swan Green, but recently loads of his books were on Kindle for £0.99 so I snapped them up. Slade House wasn't one of them, unfortunately.

I'm also a bit intimidated by David Mitchell, because of the reputation of Cloud Atlas, but I've read Black Swan Green and that one I found to be very readable and I thoroughly loved it! It was one of my favorite reads the year I read it. Probably 2013. Sorry to hear bobbly that you didn't enjoy it as much :( What was the problem for you? 

Edited by frankie

I'm also a bit intimidated by David Mitchell, because of the reputation of Cloud Atlas, but I've read Black Swan Green and that one I found to be very readable and I thoroughly loved it! It was one of my favorite reads the year I read it. Probably 2013. Sorry to hear bobbly that you didn't enjoy it as much :( What was the problem for you? 

I can't actually remember. :blush2:  I know I enjoyed the beginning of it, but just never made it through to the end. Maybe I found it dragged a bit? I have no idea.  :doh: Anyway, I ended up buying it again a little while ago because it was on offer, so I will give it another go. I bet I love it, second time around. :blush2::D

I can't actually remember. :blush2:  I know I enjoyed the beginning of it, but just never made it through to the end. Maybe I found it dragged a bit? I have no idea.  :doh: Anyway, I ended up buying it again a little while ago because it was on offer, so I will give it another go. I bet I love it, second time around. :blush2::D

:lol: Maybe your mood grew out of it, right in the middle! I don't think it changed so much in any way as to have a worse second half of the novel, and to put you right off.... I hope you will do better this time round, and kudos to you for having decided to give it another go at some point!  :flowers2:

I read Slade House after seeing it mentioned here. Liked it a lot, didn't love it. Very readable and creative. Didn't like the ending which came out of nowhere, but apparently it doesn't come so much out of nowhere if you've read The Bone Clocks first.

Slade House sounds fantastic - I have two books by him sitting at home but I've never gotten around to reading them because I expected them to be quite dense and demanding. This sounds like it will be a good one to give me a sense of his writing and see if I want to tackle the other two.

As a side note... the fact that you and Alan buy books to read aloud to each other is absolutely, utterly adoreable. :wub:

I read Slade House after seeing it mentioned here. Liked it a lot, didn't love it. Very readable and creative. Didn't like the ending which came out of nowhere, but apparently it doesn't come so much out of nowhere if you've read The Bone Clocks first.

I didn't mind the ending at all. I'm not much of a judge though as I hardly ever step into this genre (very easily pleased .. please take note people :D

Interesting that it has some sort of connection to The Bone Clocks .. though I'm not dipping my toes into that water for a while. I know Mitchell and his tricksy ways. If I attempt that before Christmas then a whole bottle of sherry won't rectify matters ;)  :D 

Sorry that you didn't love it Noll .. hope I didn't persuade you into a purchase. This is also something I need to clarify .. IF YOU LIKE THE SOUND OF ANY OF MY REVIEWS, PLEASE BORROW THE BOOKS PEOPLE ... YOU KNOW IT MAKES SENSE!! :D 

Ooh, Slade House sounds wonderful! I've been a bit wary of reading David Mitchell again after Cloud Atlas (which I had mixed feelings for), but this sounds very different and more my cup of tea. :)

Yes .. it's not like his others. Least ways I didn't think so, and he has given me knots in my head before :D I think you will enjoy it Kylie *nervous laugh* 

Slade House sounds great, but I'm still a bit wary of David Mitchell. I couldn't finish Black Swan Green, but recently loads of his books were on Kindle for £0.99 so I snapped them up. Slade House wasn't one of them, unfortunately.

It's not a book to be wary of bobbs .. it really is a straightforward read. I thought the same as you when I saw it but looked at the reviews online and they reassured me. 

I've never read David Mitchell but Slade House sounds great. 

*adds to wishlist*

My wishlist is beginning to resemble War and Peace, and you certainly have a chapter in it :D

Haha .. mine is the same Alex :D I'll never read three quarters of them but it's good to aim high! 

It was lovely to see you and Alan this morning on our way 'up North'. :hug:

I'm *so* sorry I put my foot in it in Waterstones! :blush: xx

Oh my darling, you didn't put your foot in it at all! I knew the possibility was highly on the cards .. Cirencester Waterstone's is so unfortunately laid out :D It was easier to divert you in Bristol! :D I've often wished they would build an underpath straight to the coffee shop .. for the sake of my purse!!

It was lovely to see you and Peter :hug: Thank you so much for diverting on your journey. Hope you had a lovely time :hug: xx

Great review, I think I will have to add this to my wishlist :smile2:

Again, you'd be absolutely fine with it frankie .. though it might not be as gripping for you. You're more well read on this genre than I am. 

You have to remember that a great deal of ceremony goes in to my reading sessions with Alan. In winter there's a log fire, hot chocolate/tea/coffee and cake!! Possibly it was the mince pies that I thought were great and not the book! :D 

I didn't mind the ending at all. I'm not much of a judge though as I hardly ever step into this genre (very easily pleased .. please take note people :D

Interesting that it has some sort of connection to The Bone Clocks .. though I'm not dipping my toes into that water for a while. I know Mitchell and his tricksy ways. If I attempt that before Christmas then a whole bottle of sherry won't rectify matters ;)  :D 

Sorry that you didn't love it Noll .. hope I didn't persuade you into a purchase. This is also something I need to clarify .. IF YOU LIKE THE SOUND OF ANY OF MY REVIEWS, PLEASE BORROW THE BOOKS PEOPLE ... YOU KNOW IT MAKES SENSE!! :D 

I did enjoy it, and it's made me want to read more of his stuff!! :lol: If I pick up a book based on someone else's review that's entirely my own choice !

Again, you'd be absolutely fine with it frankie .. though it might not be as gripping for you. You're more well read on this genre than I am. 

You have to remember that a great deal of ceremony goes in to my reading sessions with Alan. In winter there's a log fire, hot chocolate/tea/coffee and cake!! Possibly it was the mince pies that I thought were great and not the book! :D 

Yes, I suppose I should get some man to read it for me, and provide me with coffee and cake :lol: Any idea where one could find one of those??

I'm also a bit intimidated by David Mitchell, because of the reputation of Cloud Atlas, but I've read Black Swan Green and that one I found to be very readable and I thoroughly loved it! It was one of my favorite reads the year I read it. Probably 2013.

I've not read Cloud Atlas yet, but The Thousand Autumns of Jacob de Zoet was a brilliant read - one of my favourites of the year in 2013 (?), and a rare 6-stars.  From what I've read, it was a bit more conventionally structured than Cloud Atlas, so maybe an easier read? I'd certainly recommend it.

Edited by willoyd

Oh my darling, you didn't put your foot in it at all! I knew the possibility was highly on the cards .. Cirencester Waterstone's is so unfortunately laid out :D It was easier to divert you in Bristol! :D I've often wished they would build an underpath straight to the coffee shop .. for the sake of my purse!!

It was lovely to see you and Peter :hug: Thank you so much for diverting on your journey. Hope you had a lovely time :hug: xx

Thanks.  :)  I will look forward to Christmas even more now!  I know what I shall be doing when the others are having a nap!   :giggle: xx

• 3 weeks later...

I just found out some news that might interest you, Kay. There's another expansion pack being released for Marrying Mr Darcy. It's an Emma expansion! I found it on Kickstarter—it looks like the people who donated will be receiving it soon, so hopefully it will be available for the rest of us soon (I'm still looking for someone to play MMD with me! :().

I've not read Cloud Atlas yet, but The Thousand Autumns of Jacob de Zoet was a brilliant read - one of my favourites of the year in 2013 (?), and a rare 6-stars.  From what I've read, it was a bit more conventionally structured than Cloud Atlas, so maybe an easier read? I'd certainly recommend it.

Ah yes! For some reason I always forget that Mitchell has also written THAoJdZ. I should give that one a go, thanks for reminding me :smile2: 

I just found out some news that might interest you, Kay. There's another expansion pack being released for Marrying Mr Darcy. It's an Emma expansion! I found it on Kickstarter—it looks like the people who donated will be receiving it soon, so hopefully it will be available for the rest of us soon (I'm still looking for someone to play MMD with me! :().

Alan and I still haven't finished our game properly  :blush2: .. but I still want the expansion packs :D 

It's just not fair that you and I live so many miles apart .. I could have married Mr Darcy by now (unlikely .. I never win at anything :D)

Thanks for the info Kylie .. the more options the better :)  

• 2 weeks later...

Had quite a good reading year .. it tailed off miserably towards the end but that's Christmas for you!! My mind gets pre-occupied with it from about mid November onwards and I can't seem to settle to anything much then. 

Read a lot of good books this year. About 45 which I gave top marks too .. or would have .. if I'd been scoring them :D I failed to keep up with this blog and my reviews though so that's disappointing. Also, though the book jar definitely helped, when it started getting tricksy I started ignoring it .. and going back to my own choices  :blush2: Will try to be braver in 2016. 

Need to read more from books from the 1001 and Counties Challenge too. Will try and bear that it mind with my choices. 

Will try and get my thoughts down on some of the books that remain unreviewed .. even if it's just one sentence  :o 

roadtomiddlemarch.jpg
The Road to Middlemarch by Rebecca Mead

Synopsis: At the age of seventeen, Rebecca Mead read Middlemarch for the first time, and has read it again every five years since, each time interpreting and discovering it anew. In The Road to Middlemarch she writes passionately about her relationship to this remarkable, much-loved Victorian novel, and shows how we can live richer and more fulfilling lives through our profound engagement with great literary works. Published when George Eliot was fifty-one, Middlemarch has at its centre one of literature's most compelling and ill-fated marriages, and some of the most tenderly drawn characters. Its vast canvas incorporates the lives of ordinary people and their most intimate struggles. Virginia Woolf famously described it as 'one of the few English novels written for grown-up people', and Mead explores how the ambitions, dreams and attachments of its characters teach us to value the limitations of our everyday lives. Interweaving readings of Middlemarch with an investigation of George Eliot's unconventional, inspiring life and Mead's reflections on her own youth, relationships and marriage, this is a sensitive work of deep reading and biography, for every lover of literature who cares about why we read books and how they read us.

Review: I liked this but found it hard going at times or .. more to the point .. boring. I enjoyed reading about George Eliot .. such an interesting character but was less taken with the parts that focused on the novel (though of course, from the title, that's what I was/should have been expecting) and even less taken with the bits about the author. I suppose I would have preferred a more straight biography of George/Mary Ann.

I have read Middlemarch and could remember the story and the characters quite well but I suppose this is the sort of book to read directly afterwards, whilst all of it's fresh in your mind and when you still feel like mulling it all over. 

All in all an engaging read but with one or two (I thought) dull spots. I was page number watching too much. Any fans of George and Middlemarch though would probably love it. Liked it!

somnambulist.jpg
The Somnambulist by Essie Fox

Synopsis:
Every heart holds a secret...The stunning Victorian Gothic debut from an incredibly talented new author 'Some secrets are better left buried...' When seventeen-year-old Phoebe Turner visits Wilton's Music Hall to watch her Aunt Cissy performing on stage, she risks the wrath of her mother Maud who marches with the Hallelujah Army, campaigning for all London theatres to close. While there, Phoebe is drawn to a stranger, the enigmatic Nathaniel Samuels, who heralds dramatic changes in the lives of all three women. When offered the position of companion to Nathaniel's reclusive wife, Phoebe leaves her life in London's East End for Dinwood Court in Herefordshire - a house that may well be haunted and which holds the darkest of truths.

Review: There was something that just stopped this from being brilliant. It was a little too studied and formulaic and some of it didn't ring true. That said I did get engrossed .. I like reading about Victorian characters and, plot wise, this reminded me of so many novels I've enjoyed. Though it did seem predictable I still got caught up in it and would definitely read the author again even though I wasn't quite convinced.

It all gets a bit shocking in the last third of the book and it's probably this part that gave me problems .. it didn't feel quite real. I think she was aiming for the flavour of those gothic novels that Catherine Morland used to get so caught up with in Northanger Abbey .. only somehow it didn't quite come together but still engrossing like I said and only occasionally jarring.

These are the thoughts that are left with me after a month .. so the bits that have stayed on after the rest has fled :D It was readable and intriguing but not outstanding. Liked it! (probably more than I'm remembering :D)

Read a lot of good books this year. About 45 which I gave top marks too .. or would have .. if I'd been scoring them :D I failed to keep up with this blog and my reviews though so that's disappointing. Also, though the book jar definitely helped, when it started getting tricksy I started ignoring it .. and going back to my own choices  :blush2: Will try to be braver in 2016. 

A great year in both quality and quantity! :smile2: 45 (unscored :lol: ) top mark books, wohoo! :D 

I think you did right in ignoring the book jar when it got all tricksy on you. One doesn't want to lose one's mojo! One can always go back to the jar after a while and see if it will behave better after sitting on the naughty step for a while. Good luck with the Book Jar in 2016! :smile2: 

Need to read more from books from the 1001 and Counties Challenge too. Will try and bear that it mind with my choices. 

I need to be more aware of my challenge lists and books, too. It might be fun to read a 1001 book together at some point, that is, if we were both coincidentally inclined to read the same book and the timing happened to be right :D Don't want to go and plan anything like that though, because that will scare the mojo :D 

somnambulist.jpg

The Somnambulist by Essie Fox'

I'm curious, but not convinced I should give it a try... There must be better books out there. Perhaps the actual books that Catherine Morland was talking about? :lol: Maybe I should re-read Northanger Abbey. That was a good 'un! 

I'm a long way from finishing my reviews but I've been inspired by Claire to do a round up of 2015 so big thanks to her for the following layout which I have pinched shamelessly almost word for word  :blush2:  

I've read 113 books this year :cows: (you didn't brag about 170 Claire but I am definitely blowing trumpets about 113!! :D)

They were:

91 paperbacks

8 hardbacks

14 audiobooks

68 by female authors

42 by male authors

Plus 3 books of letters, all edited by men, but two of them containing letters written by women and the other a mixture of male and female letters (am I to say they are male authors? .. they hardly did anything :D

It always takes me ages .. and loads of time on Google .. to work out the sex of the authors I've read. I never know this unless it's obvious, or they're famous. Doesn't help if they use initials either. I normally read an even mix of male and female authors but this year I seem to have favoured females slightly more which I mostly put down to Enid :D I read twelve of hers! 

99 fiction

14 non-fiction

I'm not particularly surprised by this, I'm always drawn to fiction more but will try to read more non fiction in 2016 because .. it's better for your brain isn't it? :D 

I don't know how many pages I've read. I think my head would explode if I tried to work it out. I haven't got enough fingers and my numbers came out wrong three times for the male/female author totals  :blush2: There's no way it would be right .. you may as well make a number up in your head :D 

I didn't abandon any books in 2016. There were perhaps 2 I should have abandoned as I didn't enjoy them but I'm not sorry to have finished them (ha .. I was at the time :D )

From my challenges, I read:

3 books from the 1001 Books You Must Read Before You Die

0 books from the Modern Library list

0 books from Conquering Mount Virginia

0 books from the English Counties Challenge

1 book from Kylie's Favourite Fiction (and 1 from her fave YA fiction)

2 books from Frankie's Favourite Fiction 

Do I actually set myself challenges just so as I can ignore them? :rolleyes: MUST try harder in 2016 although I've dropped the Modern Library list now.

I bought 47 books in total, and managed to read 42 of them so that's pretty decent. At the beginning of 2015, my TBR was 232 books, and at the end of the year, it's 209 .. whoopee doo!! :D:cows: I've fiendishly managed to knock it down to 188 though .. just by a bit of judicious pruning :D 

I don't exactly rate books anymore (that is, I don't score them .. of course I rate books highly :D) but place them in one of three categories .. the outstanding Loved it!, the only slightly less enthusiastic Liked it! and the Couldn't stick it at any price!. Thankfully only 2 fell into the latter category. 

Out of the 113 read .. 45 received a Loved it! so that's pretty good going. I'm happy with that! :) 

:party: My Favourite Books of the Year  :party:

It's hard to pick just 5 favourites from a list of 45 but, after careful consideration (it wasn't .. I just glanced at it and came up with this :D) here they are: 

The Hours by Michael Cunningham .. Michael's homage to Virginia Woolf. This was my second attempt at reading it .. I've no idea why (other than I am a dimwit.) It's one of the most moving, experimental, clever pieces of writing I've ever had the pleasure to read.  

The Winter Queen by Boris Akunin ... I like crime stories more and more but sometimes they can feel a bit formulaic. This felt new to me in that our hero is completely inexperienced and fairly inept .. this is his first case and he makes some monumental mistakes. He's learning as he goes. I do love Russian literature anyway (sweeping statement .. I've only read about 5 Russian novels :D) and I also love the historical timeline. Fast paced and thrilling.

Campari for Breakfast by Sara Crowe .. Funny, engaging and LOTS of toast mentions. Plus it was sad, I laughed and cried. Sue's probably my favourite character of the year. 

The Humans by Matt Haig ... Again, laughing and crying  :D On paper I wouldn't have thought I'd like it .. bit too sci-fi maybe. From the first page though I was gripped. A nameless alien who comes to earth in order to destroy but who can't help but be drawn to, and affected by, the humans he's been sent to obliterate.    

Our Endless Numbered Days by Claire Fuller ... Really tense, the plot builds quite slowly but you know you're heading towards catastrophe .. though in the quietest, darkest, nerve stretching way.  

Special mentions to Queen Lucia and Miss Mapp, The Mangle Street Murders, Diving Belles, Murder Most Unladylike, The Red Notebook, Balzac and the Little Chinese Seamstress, East of Eden, A Month in the Country, The Mesmerist and Slade House

A great year in both quality and quantity! 45 (unscored :lol: ) top mark books, wohoo! :D

:cows: :cows: Thank you lovely :hug: Even though I am pretty easily pleased .. that's still a good number of top books  :D 

I think you did right in ignoring the book jar when it got all tricksy on you. One doesn't want to lose one's mojo! One can always go back to the jar after a while and see if it will behave better after sitting on the naughty step for a while. Good luck with the Book Jar in 2016! :smile2:

Thank you. I will try and employ it again. It's a bit dusty  :blush2: and I'm looking on it with suspicion but surely it will be kind if I give it another chance? It didn't throw CBtD at me .. so it wasn't really that mean! 

I need to be more aware of my challenge lists and books, too. It might be fun to read a 1001 book together at some point, that is, if we were both coincidentally inclined to read the same book and the timing happened to be right :D Don't want to go and plan anything like that though, because that will scare the mojo.

Yes, by all means .. that would be great as I could definitely do with the encouragement (or a great big shove in other words) .. but yes .. when we feel like it .. and there's a full moon and the wind is in the East etc etc. Plus we must start on a Tuesday and finish on a Friday .. at 3pm  :D  

I'm curious, but not convinced I should give it a try... There must be better books out there. Perhaps the actual books that Catherine Morland was talking about? Maybe I should re-read Northanger Abbey. That was a good 'un!

There are much better books out there. It was one of those that passes the time well enough and is pleasant and all but really it's not offering anything new and it's not the best of its type. I still have to read The Mysteries of Udolpho which Catherine was talking about (is THAT on the 1001? .. maybe we can synchronize on that one day? .. oh pooh! No it's not!  :giggle: ) It's on my shelf upstairs. I think it's the book that's been on my TBR the longest  :blush2:  Is 2016 the year to find out what is behind the black veil?  :hide: I hope it's not CBtD  :D