Hand on heart: is your TBR pile too big?

emelee

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

How do you decide which book to read next out of your pile?

It can be difficult when there are so many I want to read ASAP, but there are generally a few I want to read more than others. I don't know...it just kind of happens. I might pick up a book just to look at, and the next thing I know I'm several pages in!

Good lord. Mine would probably be a couple hundred if I didn't shave off some excess each year but wow. Even if you read 100 books a year and acquired no new books it would take you 20 years :thud:

Except that I'm lucky if I read 50 books a year. :( 

If you have books still to read you can never die. Kylie will be immortal.

Huzzah for immortality! Thanks James! :D

• 9 months later...

Oh yes! I will add books on goodreads til I reach 2000! Then I look through and delete some when I think "will I really read these?" Then I add more.

I don't really see too much of a problem. I'd rather have lots of choice than struggle to find something to read. Of course reading slumps are a different thing altogether.

I used to keep a Word document listing all the books on my TBR pile but when my computer crashed a few years back I lost it and although I did have a printed copy of it I never kept up with it and it is long since out of date.  However, with all the physical books I have and over 700 on my Kindle I'm thinking it's way past the 1,500 mark.  I think I'm going to focus on getting that number down as much as I can throughout 2017 so I'm putting a book buying ban on myself and I'm going to read books solely from those I already own.

I really need to sign up on GoodReads and start adding all my books on to the 'to read' shelf so that I can finally see exactly what I have.  It's a bit of a daunting job to do but I think it would be worth it.  I might actually get started on that this weekend.

Mine is also too big. Nowhere near as big as other people's, I'm sure, but I rarely get time to read. And I do so enjoy reading. 

Autumn, I belong to Goodreads and I've come across people with thousands on their TBR shelves. Most people find it useful.

I think it can be very helpful for lesser mortals, like me, to have 'To Do' lists and  'To Read' lists otherwise I could miss out on the ones I really want to read by forgetting I've got them! I now mostly read on my Kindle, so they are all listed on that - easy.

Edited by Anna Faversham

Mine is far too big. Easily well over a hundred, probably over 200. But then I never know what I will want to read, so I see interesting books and buy them. But they're generally old books so look good in the house anyway - part of making my house feel "cosy" is having bookcases all over the place. And bookcases need books. :) And I do INTEND to read them all, if I live long enough.

Hand on heart? I love books whether they are hard backs and paperbacks on shelves or electronically on my kindle, so no I don't really think my TBR mountain is too big.

I may not get to read them all in my lifetime, but having them makes my heart and soul feel good, so I will continue to add to them and read them, and just lurve them.  :D

Hand on heart? I love books whether they are hard backs and paperbacks on shelves or electronically on my kindle, so no I don't really think my TBR mountain is too big.

I may not get to read them all in my lifetime, but having them makes my heart and soul feel good, so I will continue to add to them and read them, and just lurve them.  :D

a-men! :)

I stopped keeping a list and caring about one when I realized that I am not going to read so many books anyway. Now I just read whatever I feel like and I usually try to mix the genres up but of course I always come back to the classics. Maybe making a list for classics only would be readable. 

My to-read shelf on Goodreads has 168 books on it (at the moment) so I guess I bit more off than I can chew - but I still have the rest of my life to read all of them :D

That's not too bad.  I wish mine was only 168.  My problem is I buy books a hell of a lot quicker then I can read them so for every book I read at least 1 or 2 more get added so my TBR never gets any smaller.  Still there are worse things in life!

That's not too bad.  I wish mine was only 168.  My problem is I buy books a hell of a lot quicker then I can read them so for every book I read at least 1 or 2 more get added so my TBR never gets any smaller.  Still there are worse things in life!

And in the meantime, they sit around on shelves, decorating the place. Win win.