Laura's Fantasy Corner 2015

Signor Finzione

• Replies 556
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I too have heard Rothfuss's name around the place and had considered reading him. He was on the Vlogbrothers Project For Awesome December just gone (annual charity event, 48 hour livestream. He was one of the guests who came on to chat for a bit, and he seemed like a pretty cool dude. I'm not a massive fantasy fan, but there is the occasional book or two that I absolutely love, so I might give him a go.

I too have heard Rothfuss's name around the place and had considered reading him. He was on the Vlogbrothers Project For Awesome December just gone (annual charity event, 48 hour livestream. He was one of the guests who came on to chat for a bit, and he seemed like a pretty cool dude. I'm not a massive fantasy fan, but there is the occasional book or two that I absolutely love, so I might give him a go.

He is very cool, and does a LOT of charity stuff, kickstarters etc. I wish he'd just sit down and finish writing the next book. :rolleyes:

I'm glad you enjoyed the book, great review! I have the first two books in the series on my TBR (kind of waiting for it to be finished before I read them heh).

I hope you enjoy all your new books :D!

Thanks Gaia! Very wise to wait, although you might be old and grey before it's finished. :giggle2:

Review: 'Those Above' by Daniel Polansky

21017636.jpg

They enslaved humanity three thousand years ago. Tall, strong, perfect, superhuman and near immortal they rule from their glittering palaces in the eternal city in the centre of the world. They are called Those Above by their subjects. They enforce their will with fire and sword.

Twenty five years ago mankind mustered an army and rose up against them, only to be slaughtered in a terrible battle. Hope died that day, but hatred survived. Whispers of another revolt are beginning to stir in the hearts of the oppressed: a woman, widowed in the war, who has dedicated her life to revenge; the general, the only man to ever defeat one of Those Above in single combat, summoned forth to raise a new legion; and a boy killer who rises from the gutter to lead an uprising in the capital.

Those Above is the first instalment of Daniel Polansky’s new epic fantasy series The Empty Throne. Set in a world dominated by ‘Those Above’ – immortal four-fingered beings who are mentally and physically superior to the human race – the story introduces those who live beneath their eternal overlords in varying states of both poverty and privilege. Although somewhat slow to get going, Those Above does an admirable job of establishing both world and character, and of artfully weaving together a series of events to set the ball rolling for the inevitable conflict to come. 

Those Above utilises the popular narrative method of having each chapter written in third person and from the point of view of a different character than the previous chapter. This can occasionally make the story lose impetus, as this style forces the reader to pause for breath at the end of each chapter before re-acclimatising themselves with the next character. Although used to good effect the third person narrative and multiple POVs do lack some of the distinctive voice and character of Polansky’s Low Town novels, which were written in first person. However, this style better suits the epic scope of his new series; and instead of following in the footsteps of George R. R. Martin and creating a sprawling cast of characters Polansky has instead wisely opted to focus on just four, in a similar style to Daniel Abraham’s fantastic Dagger and Coin series. In this way the author manages to keep the story tightly focused, and minimises the disorientation usually caused by shifting POVs.

Like Abraham, Polansky’s four characters are diverse and interesting, and each has their own unique perspective on the upcoming conflict due to their different situations. There’s Bas, a veteran army commander whose name and past deeds are legendary; Eudokia, a powerful noble and religious leader who schemes from behind the scenes of her Roman-esque society; Thistle, an impoverished and angry slum boy forced into crime to feed his family; and Calla, the privileged Seneschal to Those Above, unaware that she lives in a gilded cage and harbouring a dangerous secret. Each of the four characters are entertaining to read about in their own way – I particularly enjoyed Eudokia’s chapters – and though none of them actually do very much it’s clear that all four of them will have a huge part to play in the events of the rest of the series.

To sum up, then: Those Above, while not exactly action-packed, does a masterful job of establishing character and setting events in motion for the rest of the series. It’s entertaining and clever, and best of all contains Polansky’s trademark dry humour, albeit subtly hidden beneath the surface. Polansky’s first foray into epic fantasy doesn’t disappoint, and this is definitely a series I look forward to reading more of in the future.

4/5

Rest assured, if it were a sticker I'd have peeled it off straight away - but it's actually PRINTED onto the cover!!  :o  :banghead:

Why oh why do they do that?! :censored: I've never met a single book lover who likes those things...actually, it would be better to say that I've never met a single book lover who doesn't despise them!

If there is a sticker I peel it off, if I can't I try and find a copy on BD without one printed on it. It's not an easy job sometimes.

He is very cool, and does a LOT of charity stuff, kickstarters etc. I wish he'd just sit down and finish writing the next book. :rolleyes:

That is pretty cool! Though I do wish also that he'd finish it sooner rather than later :P

Great review! I really like that cover. I'm glad you enjoyed the book :)

Why oh why do they do that?! :censored: I've never met a single book lover who likes those things...actually, it would be better to say that I've never met a single book lover who doesn't despise them!

Hear hear!

Cheers Kylie. :) I'd definitely recommend him: The Name of the Wind is one of the most enjoyable books I've ever read. Here's my reviews of the first and second books in the main series (it was easier to track them down on my blog than my old BCF reading log). They're some of the first reviews I ever wrote so please excuse their shoddiness! :rolleyes:

Just a warning, though: the projected release date for the third and final book is 2017 (it was originally 2013!). Rothfuss seems to be taking a leaf out of GRRM's book, and it's very annoying. :giggle2:

Thanks for the links. Great reviews! I'll definitely add them to my wishlist. :)

Without opposable thumbs?  They've got no chance  :giggle2:

Oh, I dunno. I reckon cats will eventually become our overlords, and they seem to do alright without them. :giggle2:

Thanks for the links. Great reviews! I'll definitely add them to my wishlist. :)

You're welcome, and thanks! :)

Steve recently posted about all the series he currently has on the go, so I thought I'd blatantly copy him and do the same. :giggle2:

So, these are the series I currently have on the go, in varying stages of completion:

Malazan Empire - Ian C. Esslemont

Riftwar Cycle - Raymond E. Feist - partial re-read - the whole thing is actually comprised of 10 separate series!

Acacia - David Anthony Durham

Lightbringer - Brent Weeks

Demon Cycle - Peter V. Brett

Night’s Masque - Anne Lyle

Discworld - Terry Pratchett

Steelhaven - Richard Ford

Raven’s Shadow - Anthony Ryan

Powder Mage - Brian McClellan - final book released next month

Red Queen’s War - Mark Lawrence

Faithful & Fallen - John Gwynne

Dagger & Coin - Daniel Abraham - final book released this year

Shattered Sea - Joe Abercrombie

Empty Throne - Daniel Polansky

Shadow Ops - Myke Cole

Memory of Flames - Stephen Deas

Gentlemen B*stards - Scott Lynch

Kingkiller - Patrick Rothfuss

Milkweed Triptych - Ian Tregillis

Ketty Jay - Chris Wooding

Unhewn Throne - Brian Staveley

A Song of Ice and Fire - George R. R. Martin

I should probably have set a goal to try and finish some of these series this year . . . ah well. Maybe next year. :rolleyes:

These are the series which I've previously completed, but am currently re-reading:

First Law - Joe Abercrombie 

Malazan Book of the Fallen - Steven Erikson 

Harry Potter - J.K. Rowling

These are series which I've started over the last couple of years but likely won't be continuing with:

Craft Sequence - Max Gladstone

Dreamblood - N.K. Jemisin

Ex - Peter Clines

Valhalla - Snorri Kristjansson

Clockwork Century - Cherie Priest

Lyonesse - Jack Vance

The Mortal Instruments - Cassandra Clare

Belgariad - David Eddings

Aaaaaand these are series I'll likely be delving into over the next year or two (since it seems every new book I acquire is part of a new series):

Greatcoats - Sebastien de Castell

Wheel of Time - Robert Jordan

Mistborn - Brandon Sanderson

Expanse - James S. A. Corey

Worldbreaker - Kameron Hurley

Moontide Quartet - David Hair

Dresden Files - Jim Butcher

Codex Alera - Jim Butcher

Black Company - Glen Cook (technically this will be a partial re-read, but I remember so little about the book I've read that I'm just going to count it as a new series)

Farseer - Robin Hobb - same as above

I'm pretty sure there's more that I've forgotten about. Damn you, fantasy genre, for spawning so many ongoing series! :lol:

Edited by Signor Finzione

That's a lot of series! I'm impressed by your list :). I might have to make a list myself.. see what I come up with. It is true that there seem to be a lot of books released that are part of series, nowadays. There aren't that many fantasy standalones either, are there?, compared with series.

Good luck!

Thanks! I didn't realise how much I needed it until I started making the list. :lol:

That's a lot of series! I'm impressed by your list :). I might have to make a list myself.. see what I come up with. It is true that there seem to be a lot of books released that are part of series, nowadays. There aren't that many fantasy standalones either, are there?, compared with series.

That's definitely true! I think I'd be hard pressed to find more than 10 or so fantasy books on my shelves that aren't part of a series. I'm sure it's all to do with money-grabbing on the part of the publishers!

That's definitely true! I think I'd be hard pressed to find more than 10 or so fantasy books on my shelves that aren't part of a series. I'm sure it's all to do with money-grabbing on the part of the publishers!

Yeah, that could well be the reason, unfortunately. Sometimes it's awkward, as I don't want to have too many series 'on the go' at once and I don't always feel like committing to reading a lot of the same books. So I guess that's one of the reasons why I don't read as much fantasy anymore these days. Out of all the fantasy books I own, and maybe ~8% of those are standalones.

P.S. Did you change your avatar recently? I love that photo :D.

• 3 weeks later...