Cold and flu season

Virginia

It's here and it's vicious. In my state of South Carolina is almost epidemic. The flu season is the worst is been in years. So far we've been blessed to avoid the icky sicky so far but with five little ones. ..we do have one thing in our favor and that's the fact that we homeschool so there's little contact with kids whose parents send them to school ill.

Have you all stocked up on your needs, teas and magic brews? What steps are you taking to avoid the plague?

I'm quite lucky because I don't tend to get ill and probably only get flu once every 3 or 4 years. When I do get it, it's not normally bad enough to cause me to have to take time off work. High doses of vitamin C during cold and flu season seems to be quite a popular thing in recent years but I don't know if it has any scientific basis to it.

I remember starting a thread a few years ago about cold and flu remedies as I was awash with a rotten cold. [have just found it and linked it.]

There was a great variety of things that people do or take or avoid during the 'season'. Like Brian, I tend to be quite healthy, but when flu hits I am floored by it. It has been quite a few years since I was last hit by it thank goodness (I actually touched my wooden coffee table as I typed that!), but husband and I started taking a zinc and vitamin c tablet (one that fizzes in water) a couple of months ago after I saw them on super special offer. 

The big thing for me is carrying a sanitising hand gel with me, and getting in the habit of washing my hands regularly outside of usual occasions, so I wash my hands when I have come in from the shops etc. As I live in a little village I drive rather than use public transport so I also manage to avoid germs that way too!  :D

It's here and it's vicious. In my state of South Carolina is almost epidemic. The flu season is the worst is been in years. So far we've been blessed to avoid the icky sicky so far but with five little ones. ..we do have one thing in our favor and that's the fact that we homeschool so there's little contact with kids whose parents send them to school ill.

Have you all stocked up on your needs, teas and magic brews? What steps are you taking to avoid the plague?

I do hope you and your family don't become ill! My grandfather is ill with the flu, he's having trouble recovering so the doctor has given him some medication. I hope my grandmother doesn't become ill, or the rest of my family (nor my boyfriend and I). I always try to avoid being close to sick people (unless it's my boyfriend that's ill) and always wash my hands properly. You can't always avoid it, though, but I do try. I was ill one to two weeks ago with a virus though it wasn't as bad as the flu. This time of year seems to be good for flues, I was sick with the flu last year and in 2013, around these times of year. This year it was gladly only that lesser bad virus, which hopefully is it for a while for me.

I'm avoiding Medieval Europe.

:lol:

I, too, smirked with amusement at Raven's witty response. 

I've already been there and done that! It's been flu season in Ireland since Summer ended in October (yes, October.) Winter isn't really here yet, it's just a weird mix of mildness and sometimes rain. I got the flu in November, and I still get sniffly every now and then.

Generally I just drink lots of fluids, and tea with honey. I also practically inhale copious quantities of over-the-counter medication, because I am the world's worst patient, and I will do, as Steven Tyler says in that Santana song, anything to just feel better. 

:P Raven! :giggle2: almost choked on my carrot!

Gaia, you're right, its not always possible but we must do what we can. I hope your grandfather feels better soon. I know that the flu can be really hard on the elderly. Do you or your family get the flu shot?

People get are getting paranoid about coughing in public and I can't say that I don't fall in that group sometimes. At Barnes and Noble the booksellers often use the same phones. So far there have been at least four employees that have come to work sick. It bothers me that they come in actively sneezing and coughing but it flattens me when they use the phones. On a busy day its not always possible to wipe down with antiseptic before picking up a phone. Thank God I haven't gotten sick. I did stock up on over the counter medication last week. Good thing too as the pickings were slim. The price of oranges have gone down and I've got a cabinet full of tea. I do need to get a vaporizer for the kids.

There is one manager that goes about the store with a nasty phlegmy cough. Disgusting. She's a smoker and while it may not be contagious it is disgusting to hear and the customers get a little disturbed. You can see it in their faces. 

Edited by Virginia

Gaia, you're right, its not always possible but we must do what we can. I hope your grandfather feels better soon. I know that the flu can be really hard on the elderly. Do you or your family get the flu shot?

People get are getting paranoid about coughing in public and I can't say that I don't fall in that group sometimes. At Barnes and Noble the booksellers often use the same phones. So far there have been at least four employees that have come to work sick. It bothers me that they come in actively sneezing and coughing but it flattens me when they use the phones. On a busy day its not always possible to wipe down with antiseptic before picking up a phone. Thank God I haven't gotten sick. I did stock up on over the counter medication last week. Good thing too as the pickings were slim. The price of oranges have gone down and I've got a cabinet full of tea. I do need to get a vaporizer for the kids.

There is one manager that goes about the store with a nasty phlegmy cough. Disgusting. She's a smoker and while it may not be contagious it is disgusting to hear and the customers get a little disturbed. You can see it in their faces.

My grandparents did get the flu shot, but the shot didn't protect against this flu :(. My mum (she's a doctor) says that about a third of the people is ill with this flu the shot doesn't protect against (apparently it's the "American" flu?). I think my sister also gets the flu shot because of her asthma, my brother I'm not sure of. My parents and my boyfriend and I, we don't get the flu shot. We could get it if we really wanted to, but it'd cost quite a bit of money.

The thing with the phones sounds ugh.. that's quite bad of all those people!

Husband usually gets the flu shot, but didn't this year.  I have read that this year's shot wasn't hitting on all cylinders though.  As mentioned, it doesn't cover all the "popular" ones. 

I can't get a flu shot as I had one about 10 years ago and had a bad reaction.  Never again!   So, hand sanitizers, avoidance and rinsing out noses is the order of the day.  I haven't had the flu since 1968.  That was the famous, at the time, Hong Kong Flu.  It. Was. No. Fun. At. All!!

A lot of people around me are ill. I take vitamic C, zinc and try and wash my hands as often as possible. I also had the flu shot this year (there seems to be a big difference between how many people in the US get the shot compared to how many in Europe).

I think I might have mentioned this last year - a drop of whisky at night when feeling the beginning of an illness ;-)

I sometimes take echinacea at first sign of a cold but it gives me a headache so I weigh up how bad a cold I think it may be, I don't get ill often. Generally I try to eat well, with a good intake of food containing zinc and vitamin C. I also take some high quality food grade supplements that contain zinc among other things including B vitamins and Vitamin D3.

I will also make drinks using fresh lemon and Manuka honey which is great for coughs. The odd square of good quality plain chocolate (Lindt) is great for coughs too.. And medically proven if you just want the excuse!

Edited by chaliepud