Southern (US) Authors Reading Challenge

Virginia

In a previous post I mentioned that I really should get to know more about American authors (especially Southern writers). I've always been an anglophile and while I don't think that is something that will ever change I am becoming more and more drawn to my southern roots. I think I avoided works by most southern writers because of the history (slavery, Jim Crow, etc) that came with it. Now I'm ready to embrace all of it. In order to become more accountable I want to start a reading challenge that will focus on this rich, diverse and interesting genre. Here are a few books that I am contemplating.

I want to compile a list of books but before I do, I want to know if anyone would be willing to do the challenge with me? If so, do you have any suggestions? The criteria for the first part would be

set in the south (I'll get a list)

preferably for this first portion during the 1700's (Early American)

I know I'm not giving a lot to work with at the moment but I'm writing this on a wing as I don't want to forget anything and it will be easier to add or edit then to try to retrieve things from my overworked and overwhelmed mental data base at this particular time! Suggestions welcome!

It's very hard for me to read books in English that were written before 1700 because of the language used (though I do own some I believe), so I don't think participating would be for me. I do look forward to following your progress though and seeing what list you'll be reading. I have to admit I don't know a lot of detailed history of the South of the US. We weren't taught that much history of the United States at school, and history was never my strongest nor my most interested subject I have to admit. I don't have any suggestions as I couldn't name you one Southern author :blush2: (that said, I don't normally thoroughly research what exact part of a country an author is from, to be honest). But I do wish you luck with this challenge and hope there will be others that join you :).

What an interesting idea! I don't know of anything that early, but off the top of my head, here are a few things set in the South or written by Southern authors:

Gone With the Wind by Margaret Mitchell

The Color Purple by Alice Walker

Uncle Tom's Cabin by Harriet Beecher Stowe

A Confederacy of Dunces by John Kennedy Toole

A Streetcar Named Desire by Tennessee Williams

Br'er Rabbit by Alcée Fortier

Fried Green Tomatoes at the Whistle Stop Cafe by Fannie Flagg

Forrest Gump by Winston Groom

Eudora Welty and William Faulkner are two well-known Southern authors.

Good luck with your challenge!

Virginia, this link might be of help.  I haven't read the entire thing, but it could give you  some threads to pull. :)

http://public.wsu.edu/~campbelld/amlit/1701.htm

Or this one.... https://www.goodreads.com/shelf/show/nonfiction-history-1700s

For what its worth, William Faulkner captures "the South" beautifully.  Not that early though.

I'm interested in reading more works by southern US authors, but I'm afraid I don't really know of any set in the period you're interested in. I once read an excellent article suggesting numerous titles by southern authors, but they're much more recent books. If you're interested though, I can try and dig up the link.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks pontalba, great sites!! I might need to spend a few days exploring all the links. dtr, you've listed some of my favorites!

I didn't forget this thread but we've been dealing with some family and medical issues that have kept me a little distracted.

There are really so many titles that I think it would be easier for me to do this by author instead of timeline. This also makes for a more varied challenge. How does that sound?

Zora Neal Hurston

Margaret Mitchell

Alice Walker

Eudora Wetly

William Faulkner

Solomon Northup

Pat Conroy

to name a few. Any other names to put in the pot?