Steve's Bookshelf 2015

Karsa Orlong

As I've almost finished the Sharpe books I'm getting more and more tempted by Aubrey/Maturin...

Give them a go - I reckon you'll love them, once you get past all the nautical terms in the first half of the first book.

Trying to work out which series I have on the go at the moment . . . 

Aubrey/Maturin - O'Brian - yep

Vorkosigan Saga - Bujold - check

Warrior Chronicles - Cornwell - uh huh

Revelation Space - Reynolds - defo

Masters of Rome - McCullough - yep

Dresden Files - Butcher - well d'uh

Acts of Caine - Stover - hmm

Ben Hope series - Mariani - when I feel like it

Peter Grant series - Aaronovitch - hmmm, maybe

Raven's Shadow - Ryan - yep

Black Company - Cook - probably done with this one

Malazan Empire - Esslemont - hmmm

There are probably some I forgot :lol:

• Replies 739
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I also saw this one about Edward Pellew which looks good.

Yes, surprise, surprise, it's on my shelves too - yet to be read though. I am particulary interested as Pellew appears in the Hornblower series.

I've decided that I need to devote some time to the many series I already have on the go before starting any others . . .

Yes, I know what you mean. Aside from O'Brian, there's a fair number of detectives keeping me interested: Grant, Maigret (a total addiction), Montelbano, Brunetti, and Shardlake. Recently got hooked into the pulpy Chronicles of St Marys - just couldn't resist the whole idea.

As I've almost finished the Sharpe books I'm getting more and more tempted by Aubrey/Maturin...

That's the direction I moved too, although being brought up on Hornblower, probably already primed for this.

Edited by willoyd

There are probably some I forgot :lol:

That's a lot! Though I guess sometimes it can't be helped as not always we want to wait until the whole thing is released :). I think I'm in the middle of some too though I'm not sure how many.

Yes, surprise, surprise, it's on my shelves too - yet to be read though. I am particulary interested as Pellew appears in the Hornblower series.

He appears in O'Brian, too.  Hornblower will be my first point of call when I finish the Aubrey/Maturin series.

Yes, I know what you mean. Aside from O'Brian, there's a fair number of detectives keeping me interested: Grant, Maigret (a total addiction), Montelbano, Brunetti, and Shardlake. Recently got hooked into the pulpy Chronicles of St Marys - just couldn't resist the whole idea.

Which reminds me, I haven't read the latest Shardlake yet - although I thought Heartstone was a bit of a let down - and I'm about three books behind on the 'John Shakespeare' series by Rory Clements (which I was up to date with for the first four books . . . ).  And I've got Sharon Penman's 'Queen's Man' series sitting on my kindle, too.  Oh Lord . . .   :lol:

That's a lot! Though I guess sometimes it can't be helped as not always we want to wait until the whole thing is released :)

It's not so much that as that I don't usually like reading multiple books from the same series/author in quick succession, and I'm thinking I should now try and do that to finish some of the series.  But then my continuing enjoyment of the O'Brian books (currently on my fourth in a row) might be deluding me a bit, as I doubt the other series are quite so enjoyable when chain-read.  I've only got one of Cornwell's 'Warrior Chronicles' books to read to be up to date on that one, but then I have the Sharpe books waiting on my Kindle, too, so that's one series new to me that's already set up and ready to go.

On the plus side, I am completely out of love with fantasy novels/series at the moment, so I may dump a few of those completely  :giggle2:

It's not so much that as that I don't usually like reading multiple books from the same series/author in quick succession, and I'm thinking I should now try and do that to finish some of the series.

Yes. This. I have far too many series on the go because I don't like reading series books one after the other either. But then I tend to leave it too long and forget what happened in the past book.  :blush2: I'd like to finish a couple of series this year, and make progress in a couple of others.

It's not so much that as that I don't usually like reading multiple books from the same series/author in quick succession, and I'm thinking I should now try and do that to finish some of the series.

I have this too. I usually read one to a few books in between each book of the series, but I don't want to leave it too long otherwise I forget too much.

Maybe you should stop keeping track of your series's in the same way you stopped keeping track of your TBR, since it seems to be putting pressure on you with regards to 'what should I read next?' :) I know just thinking about all the series I have on the go would probably be enough to make me cry with despair. :giggle2:

Speaking of Raven's Shadow, when do you reckon you'll read Tower Lord? I pre-ordered the paperback and should have it by the end of next month. Maybe we could read it together when your fantasy mojo finally comes back. :) (Along with Mirror Empire, Traitor's Blade (second time lucky?), Half the World - you've picked a hell of a time to fall out with fantasy!! :lol::giggle2: )

Yes. This. I have far too many series on the go because I don't like reading series books one after the other either. But then I tend to leave it too long and forget what happened in the past book.  :blush2: I'd like to finish a couple of series this year, and make progress in a couple of others.

Same. Always happens to me, and I have a thing about reading books in an series unevenly - i.e. the first book twice and the next book once.

Yes, me too.  I think I might start leaving myself notes (in spoiler tags) at the bottom of my reviews to remind myself what was going on at the end of the book for whenever I pick up the next one :lol:

Same. Always happens to me, and I have a thing about reading books in an series unevenly - i.e. the first book twice and the next book once.

I've done that in the past when I've been waiting for the next book to come out.  With Peter F Hamilton's 'Night's Dawn' trilogy I ended up reading the first book three times, the second book twice, and the third book just the once :rolleyes:   :lol:

Maybe you should stop keeping track of your series's in the same way you stopped keeping track of your TBR, since it seems to be putting pressure on you with regards to 'what should I read next?' :)

You'd think so, wouldn't you? :lol:  Actually, it's made me realise that there are a few there I'm no longer interested in and can happily dump.  No more Cook, Esslemont, or Aaronovitch.  Possibly no more Butcher, not for a while anyway.  Stover can wait.  Mariani's good fun and completely different from all the others, so I'll pick those up occasionally.  For now, I'm going to concentrate on O'Brian, Cornwell and Bujold.

Speaking of Raven's Shadow, when do you reckon you'll read Tower Lord? I pre-ordered the paperback and should have it by the end of next month. Maybe we could read it together when your fantasy mojo finally comes back. :) (Along with Mirror Empire, Traitor's Blade (second time lucky?), Half the World - you've picked a hell of a time to fall out with fantasy!! :lol::giggle2: )

Maybe  :smile:   Problem is, I can't remember much of what happened in Blood Song, and the thought of re-reading it fills me with apathy, as fantasy is doing in general at the moment.  I'll see how I feel come the end of next month  :smile:

You'd think so, wouldn't you? :lol:  Actually, it's made me realise that there are a few there I'm no longer interested in and can happily dump.  No more Cook, Esslemont, or Aaronovitch.  Possibly no more Butcher, not for a while anyway.  Stover can wait.  Mariani's good fun and completely different from all the others, so I'll pick those up occasionally.  For now, I'm going to concentrate on O'Brian, Cornwell and Bujold.

Sounds like a plan. :) I'll plough through the Esslemont so you don't have to. :D

Maybe  :smile:   Problem is, I can't remember much of what happened in Blood Song, and the thought of re-reading it fills me with apathy, as fantasy is doing in general at the moment.  I'll see how I feel come the end of next month  :smile:

I think I can remember what happened . . . He had a pet wolf, killed some guy in an arena, got the girl at the end, and all his mates died. That said, I can't even remember his name. :giggle2:

I probably won't read it straight away anyway. The final Powder Mage book comes out on the same day, so I'll likely be reading that first. :)

Sorry. :( I agree, it was a super spoilery plot summary - it spoils perhaps 40% of all fantasy novels ever written. :giggle2:

:lol:  

And you wonder why I can't be bothered with it at the moment :giggle2: 

No more Aaronovitch?! Aww. :( Why didn't you like the Peter Grant series?

No more Aaronovitch?! Aww. :( Why didn't you like the Peter Grant series?

I don't dislike it :smile:  I actually re-read the first one before Christmas with the intention of reading the others, then thought - as it's similar to Dresden in some ways, and as I'm a lot further into that series - I'd be better off finishing Dresden before getting deeper into another one.  There was some weird logic going on, I'm sure  :giggle2:   

The Reverse of the Medal (Aubrey/Maturin Book #11) by Patrick O'Brian

post-6588-0-40946400-1421846935_thumb.jpg

1986 - Harper ebook - 304 pages

The Reverse of the Medal is in all respects an unconventional naval tale. Jack Aubrey returns from his duties protecting whalers off South America and is persuaded by a casual acquaintance to make investments in the City on the strength of supposedly certain information. From there he is led into the half worlds of the London criminal underground and of government espionage – the province of his friend, Stephen Maturin, on whom alone he can rely.

Note:

• This book begins shortly after the events of The Far Side of the World

I liked:

• It's a complete change of focus and pace.  Largely set on land, there are no naval battles at all, whilst it concentrates on the fortunes of its two central characters, Jack Aubrey and Stephen Maturin, and systematically tears their lives apart in different ways.
  • It brings back characters who haven't been seen for several books, and introduces one particular character who completely turns Jack's world on its head.
  • It brings together plot lines that have been simmering away in the background from right back to the beginning of the series, puts them front and centre, and brings them to the boil.
  • So attached am I to the characters now, and so beautifully orchestrated is O'Brian's series-to-date-spanning plot, that I found several developments in this book genuinely moving.  One particular scene at the end actually brought tears to my eyes, dammit!!  :blush2:
  • Like all of the books in the series so far, it doesn't overstay its welcome, and it has left me still wanting more.
  • It seems somehow apt that, at the halfway point, this book feels like it is an ending and a beginning.  Patrick O'Brian was a very clever author indeed.

I disliked:

• Nothing.  Absolutely nothing.  Apart from the fact that it's impossible to go into detail without massive spoilers.

I keep wondering when I am going to run out of steam on this series.  I keep wondering when the quality is going to take a nose dive.  Well, not here.  If I'd had any expectations of this book it would have defied them.  The best book in the series so far?  Quite possibly.  I thought it was wonderful.

Memorable Quotes:

'No, sir,' said Jack, 'I shall speak to them like a sucking dove.'

'Pig, Aubrey: sucking pig.  Doves don't suck.'

A disappointed, angry man is very apt to exaggerate the wickedness of his opponents.

It is dangerous to entrust the conduct of nations to men who have learned from their profession to consider reason as the instrument of dispute, and to interpret the laws according to dictates of private interest.

Yeah, I don't like to do that either. I prefer to wait with reading a series until I have them all and then read them all not too far apart (or maybe with a few books in between). Sometimes I do read book 1 first, especially if it's not known yet it's going to turn into a series. But then do I start the next book(s) once I have them or do I re-read book 1...

Steve, I'm really glad you're enjoying the O'Brian books. I love your new style of reviewing. I totally agree that it's awkward to talk about a book, particularly a book in a longer series, without spoilers.

Thanks Gaia, that's very good of you to say  :smile:

Taking a brief break from Aubrey/Maturin and have started Trafalgar: The Men, The Battle, The Storm.  It's a long time since I read a non-fiction book  :hide:  :D

Taking a brief break from Aubrey/Maturin and have started Trafalgar: The Men, The Battle, The Storm.  It's a long time since I read a non-fiction book  :hide:  :D

I don't think I've ever read a non-fiction book for fun. :o Good luck! :D

I was just having a nosy at the Aubrey/Maturin books on Amazon to see whether they'd be something I'd want to try in the future. I read the first couple of pages of Master and Commander on the 'look inside' thing and was laughing out loud at Jack making an idiot of himself - he reminds me of my dad. :giggle2:

I don't think I've ever read a non-fiction book for fun. :o

You're right, that's a bit of a shock. I can't imagine being in that position - about one-third of my reading is non-fiction, and a fair number have proved to be favourite reads too.