Alex's 2015 Reading Log

Alexi

• Replies 242
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've been on holiday for the last week and managed to read two books - The White Tiger by Aravind Adiga and Endless Night by Agatha Christie.

Full reviews to follow but the first was very close to full marks. I didn't get on with the second nearly as well but to say why will require major spoilers for it and another of Christie's novels. So not sure how to deal with that.

My book box then selected a 1200 page non fiction epic - The Rise and Fall of the Third Reich by William L Shirer. It's VERY dense yet very readable, but might take me some time!!

I also came home with a fiancé, so now have a wedding to plan :D

Good book news, even better non-book news, congratulations. :D

My book box then selected a 1200 page non fiction epic - The Rise and Fall of the Third Reich by William L Shirer. It's VERY dense yet very readable, but might take me some time!!

OMGosh!!  First of all Congratulations!  First Devi and then you, the forum will need full updates, you understand :)

Second, that is an awesome book and you like history, so I don't see why wouldn't get along with it.  It definitely wasn't a book I had to push myself to read, its that good.  I believe it took me 10 days, so.

:wub: Such lovely news. Congratulations xx

Good book news, even better non-book news, congratulations. :D

Congratulations! :flowers2:  One of the better things to come home from holiday with. :giggle2:

Congratulations :)!!

Thanks so much everyone. Very happy, although it was rather unexpected! Exciting though, although people keep asking me when it's going to be even though we've been engaged less than a week...! 

My Mum sent me a long text quoting Arnold Bennett in Anna of the Five Towns in response. I had to admit I hadn't read it but she is definitely where the reading love comes from, even though with kids and job she had much less time for it until we all left home. 

OMGosh!!  First of all Congratulations!  First Devi and then you, the forum will need full updates, you understand :)

Second, that is an awesome book and you like history, so I don't see why wouldn't get along with it.  It definitely wasn't a book I had to push myself to read, its that good.  I believe it took me 10 days, so.

Thanks Anna - I'm sure updates will be forthcoming! :giggle2:

I'm loving the book so far. I'm 100 pages in and he packs in so much information but it's SO readable. I think we're going to get on, this book and I :D Bit busy coming back to work so might take me slightly longer than 10 days but I know it will be worth it. 

Might have to take a break in the middle for the latest installment of Middlemarch, mind. 

Wow, congratulations, Alexi! I'm so happy for you. :)

That's a daunting book for the book box to produce! I'd love to read it one day.

Thanks Kylie! I'm really happy. 

Yeah, the box is getting its own back - after a nice series of selections I abandoned it for some library loans and it is now repaying me... It's fantastic so far though, just dense and long. Definitely holding my attention though, I get annoyed when I have to put it down. 

Congratulations on the engagement!

Thanks so much Noll!  :friends3:

People keep asking me if I've set a date.  :o  It's been all of a week! 

#15 The Year of the Rat by Clare Furniss 

Synopsis:  I always thought you'd know, somehow, if something terrible was going to happen. I thought you'd sense it, like when the air goes damp and heavy before a storm and you know you'd better hide yourself away somewhere safe until it all blows over.

But it turns out it's not like that at all. There's no scary music playing in the background like in films. No warning signs. Not even a lonely magpie. One for sorrow, Mum used to say. Quick, look for another.

The world can tip at any moment … a fact that fifteen-year-old Pearl is all too aware of when her mum dies after giving birth to her baby sister. Told across the year following her mother's death, Pearl's story is full of bittersweet humour and heartbreaking honesty about how you deal with grief that cuts you to the bone, as she tries not only to come to terms with losing her mum, but also the fact that her sister - The Rat - is a constant reminder of why her mum is no longer around…

Thoughts: I picked this up cheap earlier this year and the book box decided it was not one to languish on the shelf for long! 

It's obviously aimed at the YA market, with 15-year-old Pearl the centre of the novel and our narrator as we experience a year of her life following the death of her mother in childbirth. We also read flashbacks from when her Mum Stella was around, and Pearl also has "ghostly" visitations from her dead Mum throughout the novel, which help build a picture of what life was like before Stella's death. 

The main problem here is Pearl - she isn't very likeable. The rest of the cast of characters attract infinitely more sympathy, especially her struggling Dad who does so well to hold things together and Pearl's best friend Molly. Pearl is a teenager who has just lost her Mum, so she does demand sympathy, but after a while it became very difficult for this reader to give her any as she appeared to show no redeeming qualities what so-bleeding-ever. Of course, everyone reacts very differently to grief and this was probably a very realistic portrayal. I have (fortunately) never experienced anything like this, but from my own point of view I think it might have been helpful to have Pearl confess her true feelings to SOMEONE which would have made her instantly more likeable even though she shunned the majority of people. 

What is very well done here is the book refuses to pander to the YA market or become a cliche. Pearl is struggling, and the ghostly visitations do a little suggest she may be struggling with mental illness. Not only that, but the "handsome boy next door" could easily be a plot device for everything to improve for Pearl. In fact, it's nothing like that which adds some credibility to the story and ensures there is no glossing over of issues for a happy chick lit story arc. 

What we get is a 12 month look at a girl and family desperately trying to get through each day, and in the case of Pearl largely failing! 

However, it failed to grab me sufficiently, it wasn't unputdownable and I felt more could have been done to make an unlikeable character gain a little more sympathy - which sounds harsh given what's she's suffered but there it is. 

3.5/5 (I liked it) 

#16 The White Tiger by Aravind Adiga 

Synopsis: Balram Halwai is the White Tiger - the smartest boy in his village. His family is too poor for him to afford for him to finish school and he has to work in a teashop, breaking coals and wiping tables. But Balram gets his break when a rich man hires him as a chauffeur, and takes him to live in Delhi. The city is a revelation. As he drives his master to shopping malls and call centres, Balram becomes increasingly aware of immense wealth and opportunity all around him, while knowing that he will never be able to gain access to that world. As Balram broods over his situation, he realizes that there is only one way he can become part of this glamorous new India - by murdering his master.

Thoughts: On the 1001 list, this novel picked up the 2008 Man Booker Prize, which instantly made me a little wary. I have found in the past that some winners of this are written in language I feel clearly designed to appeal to these worthy award givers which can make them a little hard to digest. 

However, I saw this at the library and the synopsis convinced me to look past its literary achievements! 

Wow. How glad I am. This is a fantastic read. The language is actually really simple, it's very easy to read and it fair rips along at a cracking pace. Balram is born in poor, rural India and despite his father's attempts to make him the one boy in the family who is educated, his family situation and the domination of the town's rich at the time ensure that he is plucked out of the school system and sent to work at a typically young age. The caste system depicted here seems designed to maintain the status of the wealthy and keep the poor downtrodden and ignorant. 

​Adiga, who was extensively educated, pulls no punches here. This isn't a nice portrayal of India, but it kept me thoroughly gripped from first to last page. We are told early on that Balram isn't exactly a moral character, so that is in the back of the reader's mind as the story progresses from his young beginnings through to his current residence in Bangalore, from where he is telling his story. 

​And yet he is a character you want to root for. I wanted him to escape the destiny life had chosen for him, but the niggle was there that to do that he might have to commit terrible acts. It is very, very well done. 

Adiga spins a wonderful tale of India's poorer castes, the feel in of being trapped with no way to better oneself or one's children against an all powerful wealthy who enjoy air conditioning and "English" liquor while he sends his money home to provide for his extended family who sweep tables to put food on their own table. 

Highly recommended. 

4.5/5 (I loved it)

So, have you set a date yet, Alex?

:giggle2:

The premise sounds good so I'm sorry the book didn't live up to expectations.

Edit:  The White Tiger is on my wish list so I'm glad you liked it.  :)

Edited by Janet

So, have you set a date yet, Alex?

:giggle2:

The premise sounds good so I'm sorry the book didn't live up to expectations.

Edit:  The White Tiger is on my wish list so I'm glad you liked it.  :)

Grrrr Janet  ;)

Ha, you've summed up in a line what I tried to do in four paragraphs! I liked it, but the premise promised so much more. Ah well!

I *think* you'd really enjoy The White Tiger. Always a tad reluctant to say that...! But yes, really, really good. And on the 1001 list, from which I've now read a paltry 53... But a few years ago it was 12, so I am making decent progress on the 1305.  :giggle2:

Oh don't be sorry guys, I don't mind. Half the time I read spoilers even when I know they're there :lol:

I love spoilers, they whet the appetite!  :)  In fact, I used to read the last few pages of whatever book I was reading.  I gave up the habit, but still get the urge sometimes to peek..... :D

Big congratulations, Alexi!  Very happy for you. :)

Great reviews.  You've made me want to pull White Tiger from the shelf to read....and I will. :)

I love spoilers, they whet the appetite!  :)  In fact, I used to read the last few pages of whatever book I was reading.  I gave up the habit, but still get the urge sometimes to peek..... :D

When I'm reading something exciting or revelatory or suspenseful that lasts a few pages, every time I turn the page I skim the page from the bottom up to see what happens rather than actually reading it in the correct order :roll: It's a terrible habit, and I sometimes literally cover the whole page except the few lines I'm reading so I physically can't glance down :lol:

When I'm reading something exciting or revelatory or suspenseful that lasts a few pages, every time I turn the page I skim the page from the bottom up to see what happens rather than actually reading it in the correct order :roll: It's a terrible habit, and I sometimes literally cover the whole page except the few lines I'm reading so I physically can't glance down :lol:

Last night I was doing exactly that.....my reread of The Martian was just as exciting as the first read!  :D

I'd never even considered reading the last few pages of a book until I saw Billy Crystal's character do it in When Harry Met Sally and I went through a stage of doing it myself, but I've stopped myself now, as most of the time it didn't make any sense out of context, and then when it did make more sense as the book went along, I felt cheated that I already knew what was going to happen! :doh:

I've been known to skim the final pages too, generally as a result of me wanting to check how many pages there are (even before the advent of digital reading tools, I liked doing the percentage/fraction math on how far I've gotten into a book, and I make a note of the fifths, quarters, thirds, and halfway point. Rather than chapter-ends, those are the markers I have for pit-stops, so hefty tomes can make for extensive reading slogs :lol:

I'm fairly sure there's a thread on this forum somewhere about curious reading habits or quirks, and I feel like I actually have a ton more than I ever mentioned in there! :lol:

Congratulations! :wub: What exciting news!! :exc: I'm so happy for you, enjoy the moment and don't let the people who ask you about the wedding date annoy you too much. Tell them to enjoy the moment, too, and jog on :D 

I thought I was the only one who did that! It's much easier with a kindle now though :lol:

Indeed! The only downside is although we know our percentages and our 'location', we don't always know what page we're on :lol:

I'm fairly sure there's a thread on this forum somewhere about curious reading habits or quirks, and I feel like I actually have a ton more than I ever mentioned in there! :lol:

Go and update the thread! I want to hear more about your quirks. :D

I always check the total number of pages so I can do the percentage thing too.

Great review of The White Tiger, Alex. :) I've had this on my TBR pile for a while, I think just because it's on the 1001 list, but it hasn't really appealed to me much. Now I'm intrigued, though, so thanks! :)

*waves goodbye to emoticons*

Big congratulations, Alexi! Very happy for you.

Great reviews. You've made me want to pull White Tiger from the shelf to read....and I will. )

Thank you!

And oh the pressure. I'm always worried in case someone doesn't like it after my recommendation :giggle2:

When I'm reading something exciting or revelatory or suspenseful that lasts a few pages, every time I turn the page I skim the page from the bottom up to see what happens rather than actually reading it in the correct order :roll: It's a terrible habit, and I sometimes literally cover the whole page except the few lines I'm reading so I physically can't glance down

Last night I was doing exactly that.....my reread of The Martian was just as exciting as the first read!

I always check the page number and desperately try to avoid spoiling myself when I look at the last page! Kindle has definitely made things easier that way.

Congratulations! :wub: What exciting news!! :exc: I'm so happy for you, enjoy the moment and don't let the people who ask you about the wedding date annoy you too much. Tell them to enjoy the moment, too, and jog on

Thanks so much Frankie. :D It still feels a bit weird. Getting married was always something my parents did - although I've been to 6 weddings from people my age in the last 2 years, a lot of my friends are engaged/newly wed!

I thought I was the only one who did that! It's much easier with a kindle now though

Indeed! The only downside is although we know our percentages and our 'location', we don't always know what page we're on :lol:

That page number thing with the kindle is quite irritating! Why can't they all put in the page numbers. Grrrrrr. /firstworldproblems ;)

Great review of The White Tiger, Alex. :) I've had this on my TBR pile for a while, I think just because it's on the 1001 list, but it hasn't really appealed to me much. Now I'm intrigued, though, so thanks! :)

Thanks Kylie! Hope you enjoy it. I think it helped me that my expectations were lower though (because of the Man Booker aspect).

I've now got three books on the go. I Normally only have one - two at the most - and I just can't cope. :D

Edited by Alexi

#14 The Time Machine by H G Wells

Synopsis: When a Victorian scientist propels himself into the year 802,701 AD, he is initially delighted to find that suffering has been replaced by beauty, contentment and peace. Entranced at first by the Eloi, an elfin species descended from man, he soon realises that this beautiful people are simply remnants of a once-great culture - now weak and childishly afraid of the dark. They have every reason to be afraid: in deep tunnels beneath their paradise lurks another race descended from humanity - the sinister Morlocks. And when the scientist's time machine vanishes, it becomes clear he must search these tunnels, if he is ever to return to his own era.

Thoughts: I picked this novella (approximately 100 pages) up for free on kindle a few years ago but, given it was published before 1900 I couldn't get away from a fear of it. However, my book box decided it was time to pick it up and who am I to ignore the box?

​The story is told to us via the (unnamed) time traveller, who is imparting his adventures to his rather incredulous friends. I do like this style, because I think it brings the reader into the story as we are one of the audience along with other characters. Going 800,000 years into the future he finds man has split into two species, the beautiful eloi, who dwell overground, and the underground-dwelling Morlocks. The Morlocks have stolen his time machine and he must therefore explore the tunnels and find out more about them to rescue his machine and get home. But why are the eloi so scared of them? 

That is the main thread of the tale. It's sci-fi adventure. But for me the most interesting part of this novella was the social commentary. This is written in 1895, towards the end of a Victorian era in which huge scientific advancements had been made - hoped hugely by electricity. Wells has taken that advancement and run it to the extreme conclusion, where humanity has developed a "perfect" world where brain power and motivation are no longer needed. At least, above ground - where he finds no evidence of work and a limited race in the eloi. 

Then there is another theory which rests on social class - did the rich aristocracy at one point drive the work force under ground to the point where they adapted and mutated? 

It's all very interesting theorising, especially when the publishing date is considered and how much he packs into such a short story. 

Ending perhaps a tad open, but on this occasion I'll allow it!

4/5 (I really liked it)

Great review Alexi. Congratulations on your engagement ! :flowers2:

I've been known to skim the final pages too, generally as a result of me wanting to check how many pages there are (even before the advent of digital reading tools, I liked doing the percentage/fraction math on how far I've gotten into a book, and I make a note of the fifths, quarters, thirds, and halfway point. Rather than chapter-ends, those are the markers I have for pit-stops, so hefty tomes can make for extensive reading slogs :lol:

I always check how many pages a book has before I start reading, and think about how far I am into the book. I thought I was the only one!  

That page number thing with the kindle is quite irritating! Why can't they all put in the page numbers. Grrrrrr. /firstworldproblems ;)

This is one of the things that really annoys me about Kindle books!