Alex's 2015 Reading Log

Alexi

• Replies 242
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

#12 The Jewish Candidate by David Crossland 

Synopsis: The Jewish Candidate is such a fresh subject for a political thriller that despite it being fictional, it triggered huge reviews and articles from Reuters, Chicago Tribune, The Jerusalem Post, Deutsche Welle, The Local and Spiegal Online, and others. 

After a four year posting in Islamabad, Frank Carver, a reporter for the London Chronicle, is sent to Germany to cover the country’s most fascinating election campaign since the Second World War. Rudolf Gutman, the first Jew to run for chancellor, is promising to free Germany from the shackles of its past. He is up against Hermann von Tietjen, the charismatic Far Right candidate whose mantra is to rid Germany of the threat from its Muslim immigrants. 

Carver and Wolfgang Renner, a freelance journalist, believe Tietjen has a more deadly agenda. He is secretly guiding Neo-Nazis in a plot to assassinate Gutman, using cash and contacts of old SS men to hire a killer. They prepare the ground with terrorist attacks that are pinned on islamists, sowing fear and hatred of Muslim immigrants.

Carver and Renner race to clinch the scoop of their lives. But no one believes them as Tietjen covers his tracks with his devilish gambit that plunges the nation into terror and a trail of killings. 

As the clock ticks down to election day and the noose tightens around Gutman’s neck, their quest turns into a lone, bloody struggle for survival that brings them face to face with modern Germany’s dark secret. It seems that Carver has run out of time to unmask the assassin and to save Gutman. 

Thoughts: I'm still not really sure what to make of this book. I think it falls between two stools - it's aiming to be a thriller, but the "twist" is too obvious. The racism/neo-Nazi element as Germany prepares to elect its first ever Jewish Chancellor should be enough for the plot on its own but the author seems to reject this.

So, I should have plenty to complain about.

And yet, I really, thoroughly enjoyed this.  It was the first book from my newly-acqired book box, and so I hadn't read the synopsis before starting, which may explain why I expected it to be rather different than it was. 

We are in modern day Germany, but a Germany in which racism still runs rife. Neo-Nazis abound, and cultural minorities still live in fear. It's very graphic in places and quite violent - the one that sticks out is the chasing and beating of a black man by racist thugs. Be warned. 

However, all that aside, it's very well-paced and rips along at a good speed. I saw the twist coming and yet I wanted to read on, and I was horrified and mesmerised by a modern world in which such evil and prejudice exists. Carver and Renner are a good, if unlikely, double act and it's clear Crossland knows Berlin - its geography throughout is very recognisable. 

As someone who works in the media, there's an intriguing sub plot too between Carver, an old school journalist on the ground, and his editor back in London, who is working for a new owner who has political manoeuvring to do and a new readership who can be satisfied by interns at desks. Where does Carver fit in with that ideology? 

It's a a great yarn, and in spite of myself, I really enjoyed it. 

4/5 (I really liked it)

Edited by Alexi

#13 If I Stay by Gayle Forman 

Synopsis:  A cold February morning . . . a snowy road . . . and suddenly all of Mia's choices are gone. Except one.

As alone as she'll ever be, Mia must make the most difficult choice of all.

Thoughts: First, a disclaimer. I was only about 50 pages in when I was struck down by DeathlyPlague, which left me drained of energy and may have effected the following review. However, 50 pages is 1/4 of the way in to give you some perspective. It just felt like LONG 200 pages, and the type is big. 

Why? It's a great premise. Mia's family are in a devastating car crash and she finds herself separate from her physical self, which is in the operating theatre and then ICU, and able to follow her loved ones around the hospital as she makes her choice: to stay with them on earth, or to leave?

But. I just didn't engage with the characters. This is supposed to be a hugely emotional read but i found myself constantly distracted by the flashbacks into Mia's past, which never heightened my connection to her. I found her a bit bland, a bit dull, a bit run of the mill. I couldn't root for her. 

I realise I am in the vast minority here and it is now a successful movie, but just not for me. 

2/5 (It was ok)

Firstly .. I'm very sorry you were struck down by the DeathlyPlague™ :( and doubly sorry that you didn't have a good book to cheer you up .. a good book is the best medicine of all. Anyway, it sounds like the sort of book nobody would want to read when ill .. really you needed fortifying with tales of afternoon tea and libraries. 

Hope your next read is better Alex and hope you feel much better soon  :hug:  :flowers2:

The movie If I Stay was very well done, so well in fact, I didn't want to read the book lol I started it, but then I gave up, the movie just followed the book so closely (from what I read, so I assume the rest of the book is followed closely too).

As an silt, you do notice some more worrying aspects which fly over kids heads - such as "normal" children don't get homesick, and there's a huge element of conformity - not being good at games is a mortal sin, tears are sneered at as is having a fear of pretty much anything!

You're right, it is very "British Stiff Upper Lip" in tone, and reminiscent of the times it was written in with so much related to the class structure … did Enid ever do working class?

Gaia - as I said, I'm in the definite minority on If I Stay, it's got awesome reviews on Amazon and I really liked the premise. It just didn't work for me at this time (which may have been illness related!).

Claire - don't think so. Money is never mentioned but I think it's always obvious they aren't working class. In the Famous Five, George gets given an island after all :lol:

• 2 weeks later...

#14 The Time Machine by H G Wells

Synopsis: When a Victorian scientist propels himself into the year 802,701 AD, he is initially delighted to find that suffering has been replaced by beauty, contentment and peace. Entranced at first by the Eloi, an elfin species descended from man, he soon realises that this beautiful people are simply remnants of a once-great culture - now weak and childishly afraid of the dark. They have every reason to be afraid: in deep tunnels beneath their paradise lurks another race descended from humanity - the sinister Morlocks. And when the scientist's time machine vanishes, it becomes clear he must search these tunnels, if he is ever to return to his own era.

Thoughts: I picked this novella (approximately 100 pages) up for free on kindle a few years ago but, given it was published before 1900 I couldn't get away from a fear of it. However, my book box decided it was time to pick it up and who am I to ignore the box?

​The story is told to us via the (unnamed) time traveller, who is imparting his adventures to his rather incredulous friends. I do like this style, because I think it brings the reader into the story as we are one of the audience along with other characters. Going 800,000 years into the future he finds man has split into two species, the beautiful eloi, who dwell overground, and the underground-dwelling Morlocks. The Morlocks have stolen his time machine and he must therefore explore the tunnels and find out more about them to rescue his machine and get home. But why are the eloi so scared of them? 

That is the main thread of the tale. It's sci-fi adventure. But for me the most interesting part of this novella was the social commentary. This is written in 1895, towards the end of a Victorian era in which huge scientific advancements had been made - hoped hugely by electricity. Wells has taken that advancement and run it to the extreme conclusion, where humanity has developed a "perfect" world where brain power and motivation are no longer needed. At least, above ground - where he finds no evidence of work and a limited race in the eloi. 

Then there is another theory which rests on social class - did the rich aristocracy at one point drive the work force under ground to the point where they adapted and mutated? 

It's all very interesting theorising, especially when the publishing date is considered and how much he packs into such a short story. 

Ending perhaps a tad open, but on this occasion I'll allow it!

4/5 (I really liked it)

I didn't know that either, I'm sorry Noll :(.

I do know that I get spoilers in emails, when I get an email about someone quoting me or about a topic I subscribed to, the spoilers are just in the email, not even with the word spoiler. I don't know it's even there until I get to the forum and read the actual post. That's why I never subscribe to threads that might have spoilers that I don't want to see.

Add me to the list of people who didn't know either! 

J - I also thought his vision was a little scary. In fact, the whole book is a little chilling in that way I think - the mutation of the race, underground dwellers etc, all coming from the way the current world is moving. 

• 2 weeks later...

I've been on holiday for the last week and managed to read two books - The White Tiger by Aravind Adiga and Endless Night by Agatha Christie.

Full reviews to follow but the first was very close to full marks. I didn't get on with the second nearly as well but to say why will require major spoilers for it and another of Christie's novels. So not sure how to deal with that.

My book box then selected a 1200 page non fiction epic - The Rise and Fall of the Third Reich by William L Shirer. It's VERY dense yet very readable, but might take me some time!!

I also came home with a fiancé, so now have a wedding to plan :D