Alex's 2015 Reading Log

Alexi

The Five People You Meet in Heaven is good, but I'd highly recommend his more famous novel Tuesdays With Morrie to... well.. anyone really, but also to anyone who liked TFPYMIH. It's beautiful and inspirational, and a true story.

• Replies 242
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You have some great, and varied books on your TBR pile, Alexi.

Ones that I really enjoyed are:

Ken Follett - Pillars of the Earth (epic historical fiction at its best)

Terry Hayes - I am Pilgrim (one of the best spy type thrillers I have ever read).

Richard Herley - The Penal Colony (a Kindle freebie. I was very pleasantly surprised as it tells a good solid story)

Mark Dunn - Ella Minnow Pea (so creative and clever. Well worth a read).

I hope you have a great reading year. :boogie:

Edited by bobblybear

Great reviews! I'm glad you enjoyed both books! A Game of Thrones isn't a typical fantasy book, like you say it's more about the people and the relationships between them. I'm so glad you enjoyed it.

Thanks Gaia. It's my kind of fantasy I guess :D I know I will end up reading the whole series one day...when Martin has written it all!

I've added The Five People You Meet in Heaven to my Wishlist!

Hope you enjoy it if and when you acquire it! 

The Five People You Meet in Heaven is good, but I'd highly recommend his more famous novel Tuesdays With Morrie to... well.. anyone really, but also to anyone who liked TFPYMIH. It's beautiful and inspirational, and a true story.

Thanks Noll. I've added it to my wishlist based on your recommendation, I'd definitely like to read more of his work!

You have some great, and varied books on your TBR pile, Alexi.

Ones that I really enjoyed are:

Ken Follett - Pillars of the Earth (epic historical fiction at its best)

Terry Hayes - I am Pilgrim (one of the best spy type thrillers I have ever read).

Richard Herley - The Penal Colony (a Kindle freebie. I was very pleasantly surprised as it tells a good solid story)

Mark Dunn - Ella Minnow Pea (so creative and clever. Well worth a read).

I hope you have a great reading year. :boogie:

Thanks BB!  Must get to Pillars of the Earth this year..it's just such a doorstopper!

Have a lovely year of reading Alex.  :smile:

Thanks so much Chrissy. 

Happy new reading year, Alex!  Looking forward to discussing more English County books with you. :D

Thanks Claire! Should be a good 'un, and hopefully a new group read too. 

I've now read four books (so behind by two reviews!) and so rewarded myself by buying I am the Messenger by Markus Zusak. :hide:

Now 4 read, 6 acquired. I'm not really getting the hang of this. 

Hehe. :D Don't worry, there's still plenty of time to redeem yourself. ;)

I've now read four books (so behind by two reviews!) and so rewarded myself by buying I am the Messenger by Markus Zusak. :hide: 

I hope you enjoy it :)! :giggle2: not yet, but there should still be plenty of the year left to get the TBR down :).

#2 The Five People You Meet in Heaven by Mitch Albom

Great review, Alexi :) Someone else on here read and reviewed the book at some point in the past 6 or so months and made me want to re-read the book. Your review has the same effect on me :) 

4 read, 6 acquired... But just a while ago it was 2 read, 4 acquired. So you're slowing down, actually! Well done :D:giggle2::cool:

Wishing you a very happy reading year Alex .. hope it's a good one for you :)

Thank you! Same to you x

Hehe. :D Don't worry, there's still plenty of time to redeem yourself. ;)

I hope you enjoy it :)! :giggle2: not yet, but there should still be plenty of the year left to get the TBR down :).

Ah...About that... *whistles* 

*just off to update the books acquired list*

Great review, Alexi :) Someone else on here read and reviewed the book at some point in the past 6 or so months and made me want to re-read the book. Your review has the same effect on me :)

Aw thanks Frankie, I'm glad :) I'm never sure about reviews when I've enjoyed the book. Sometimes I feel like I've rambled on and actually only written two paragraphs, other times I think I need to say more and have actually written an essay :giggle2:

#3 The Bookshop by Penelope Fitzgerald

Synopsis: In 1959 Florence Green, a kindhearted widow with a small inheritance, risks everything to open a bookshop - the only bookshop - in the seaside town of Hardborough. By making a success of a business so impractical, she invites the hostility of the town's less prosperous shopkeepers. By daring to enlarge her neighbors' lives, she crosses Mrs. Gamart, the local arts doyenne. Florence's warehouse leaks, her cellar seeps, and the shop is apparently haunted. Only too late does she begin to suspect the truth: a town that lacks a bookshop isn't always a town that wants one. (From Goodreads)

Thoughts: To be honest, I wasn't sure quite what to make of this read. I picked this up cheap on kindle because it's for the English Counties Challenge - although books about books/bookshops are always welcome so I think I might have picked it up eventually anyway!

However, having not studied the synopsis before reading I was in for a surprise. A nice little tome about an English village bookshop in Suffolk? Well, no. Instead, we are introduced to the delightful Violet Gamart, who has her eye on the building for an Arts Centre and when Florence pushes ahead anyway she is determined to drive this "newcomer" out of town. The newcomer thing did make me laugh, so typical of small English villages - anyone who has lived there less than a decade is a newcomer, while those who are "lifers" claim some misguided superiority! 

This is a short read (my copy came in at 156 pages) and yet Fitzgerald does manage to squeeze plenty in. I did feel like we got to know the characters, and I really enjoyed the interaction between Florence and her 10--year-old assistant. 

However (and I feel you all probably knew this was coming!), the ending rather ruined it for me. Having packed so much in previously I suddenly came to the end with a start of surprise - really, that's it? sort of feeling. Yes, the writing was good and the character interaction well plotted, but she was telling a story and therefore I demand an ending that doesn't just flop down like she ran out of steam, which is what this felt like. 

Characterisation good, writing good, plot decent, but the lack of proper conclusion to a story arc was disappointing given such a strong build-up. 

3/5 (I liked it)

Edited by Alexi

#4 The Seven Dials Mystery by Agatha Christie 

Synopsis: Gerry Wade had proved himself to be a champion sleeper, so the other house guests decided to play a practical joke on him. Eight alarm clocks were set to go off. But come morning, one clock was gone, and the prank had tragically backfired. (From Goodreads)

Thoughts:  I'm slowly working my way through all Agatha's books. It's my comfort reading, like having a massive slab of galaxy after a bad day. After a disappointing ending to my previous book (see previous review!) I started this, knowing that Christie has never previously let me down in that department. 

All the familiar elements are here. The dastardly society intent on robbery and willing to murder to do it, the man and woman working together to track them down yet more are being bumped off, the love interest, the detective who will give little hints but let the amateur sleuths work it out their own, etc etc. Yet the story and set-up isn't vintage Christie. It feels a little clunky and takes  awhile to get going - even though the first death happens extremely quickly! 

But as usual she has a solution that has me (and hopefully most or I feel rather stupid!) totally hoodwinked. It's not good for the diet to have galaxy every day, but I do enjoy it!

3/5 (I liked it)

I thought the same about The Bookshop .. I enjoyed it but was disappointed by the ending. 

I would totally advocate Galaxy every day if I could get away with it :D .. delicious stuff .. and I know what you mean about Agatha .. so comforting. I've got several of her books in the jar and I'll be as pleased as punch if any of them come out. It'll be like the jar is rewarding me .. might even buy some Galaxy to go with .. not my fault .. you've put the notion in there Alex :D

Great reviews :) 

Great reviews, Alex. :)

I'm heading off to check out your book acquired list. I wonder how naughty you've been? :D

ETA: Hmm, 9 books acquired so far. That's not too bad! I've read several of those acquisitions and they were all wonderful. :)

I have had to remove some of those naughty emoticons...

I thought the same about The Bookshop .. I enjoyed it but was disappointed by the ending. 

I would totally advocate Galaxy every day if I could get away with it :D .. delicious stuff .. and I know what you mean about Agatha .. so comforting. I've got several of her books in the jar and I'll be as pleased as punch if any of them come out. It'll be like the jar is rewarding me .. might even buy some Galaxy to go with .. not my fault .. you've put the notion in there Alex :D

Great reviews :) 

Thanks :) Interesting to see you felt the same, and I think Willoyd did as well if the recesses of my memory can be counted on :D

I would definitely have galaxy every day if I could, but I'm on a diet ahead of June's beach holiday. Haven't had one of those for a few years, we bought a house in 2013 and since then have done city sightseeing and winter holidays. So now I have to get back into a bikini for the first time since 2012 :o Motivation is a whole week of reading books in the sunshine! 

Great reviews, Alex.

I'm heading off to check out your book acquired list. I wonder how naughty you've been? :D

ETA: Hmm, 9 books acquired so far. That's not too bad! I've read several of those acquisitions and they were all wonderful. 

Thanks Kylie. Nine isn't too bad, but it's only 20 days into the new year so I am acquiring at nearly a rate of one every two days! Given there isn't any way I can get through 175 books before the end of the year, that has to decrease...

Great reviews! It's a shame neither books were brilliant for you, though I'm glad you did enjoy them.

P.S. Also congrats on the new books. 

Thanks Gaia :) 

I'm halfway thought Rebecca. I'm really enjoying it but don't seem to have time to settle and read in long periods at the moment :(

Ahaa, Kylie has busted you, you have acquired more books again :giggle2::D 9 is still less than 10, so well done :D 

Aw thanks Frankie, I'm glad :) I'm never sure about reviews when I've enjoyed the book. Sometimes I feel like I've rambled on and actually only written two paragraphs, other times I think I need to say more and have actually written an essay :giggle2:

I get that same feeling sometimes, too! :D It's weird. Sometimes you almost wonder if the Open Office document (or whatever one's used) has swallowed half of the stuff you wrote, because it seems to add up to only half of what you thought it would :D And vice versa. Funny feeling, that is! 

#3 The Bookshop by Penelope Fitzgerald

Synopsis: In 1959 Florence Green, a kindhearted widow with a small inheritance, risks everything to open a bookshop - the only bookshop - in the seaside town of Hardborough. By making a success of a business so impractical, she invites the hostility of the town's less prosperous shopkeepers. By daring to enlarge her neighbors' lives, she crosses Mrs. Gamart, the local arts doyenne. Florence's warehouse leaks, her cellar seeps, and the shop is apparently haunted. Only too late does she begin to suspect the truth: a town that lacks a bookshop isn't always a town that wants one. (From Goodreads)

Thoughts: To be honest, I wasn't sure quite what to make of this read. I picked this up cheap on kindle because it's for the English Counties Challenge - although books about books/bookshops are always welcome so I think I might have picked it up eventually anyway!

However, having not studied the synopsis before reading I was in for a surprise. A nice little tome about an English village bookshop in Suffolk? Well, no. Instead, we are introduced to the delightful Violet Gamart, who has her eye on the building for an Arts Centre and when Florence pushes ahead anyway she is determined to drive this "newcomer" out of town. The newcomer thing did make me laugh, so typical of small English villages - anyone who has lived there less than a decade is a newcomer, while those who are "lifers" claim some misguided superiority! 

This is a short read (my copy came in at 156 pages) and yet Fitzgerald does manage to squeeze plenty in. I did feel like we got to know the characters, and I really enjoyed the interaction between Florence and her 10--year-old assistant. 

However (and I feel you all probably knew this was coming!), the ending rather ruined it for me. Having packed so much in previously I suddenly came to the end with a start of surprise - really, that's it? sort of feeling. Yes, the writing was good and the character interaction well plotted, but she was telling a story and therefore I demand an ending that doesn't just flop down like she ran out of steam, which is what this felt like. 

Characterisation good, writing good, plot decent, but the lack of proper conclusion to a story arc was disappointing given such a strong build-up. 

3/5 (I liked it)

Great review! This is on my wishlist but I'd quite forgotten what it was all about. I mean it's about books and a bookshop, but I'd forgotten all the extra stuff in the blurb/synopsis. 

Don't you just hate it when the ending of a fine book disappoints you? It leaves a rather bad aftertaste :( I've now been warned so I know to adjust my expectations accordingly, but nobody warned you! :(  :empathy:

• 2 weeks later...

I thoroughly enjoyed Rebecca - full review to follow but definitely a 5/5! I then spent the rest of January rereading the Malory Towers series - wonderful nostalgia.

I've been having book jar envy so I've now made my own - well, I have a book box not a jar :giggle2: I won't always use it because I do have some library books out (including another Du Maurier :D ) and they have deadlines but I have now made my first selection.

The box of destiny picked The Jewish Candidate by David Crossland. It's a bit different to what I expected but really good so far.

Edited by Alexi

All of them minus a few - library books obviously, and also any sequels when I haven't read the previous one, eg. the two later novels in the Hunger Games series and the late Jo Nesbo books. The first unread one has gone in the box though. 

I'm terrified I'm going to pull out Les Miserables :D

• 2 weeks later...

Hello all *waves* 

Feeling a tad more human after a wretched few days so decided it was time to update my book blog. *blows off dust and offers round non-dusty biscuits*

It's been a bit of a slow February as a result, but I've finished two more books and have now started on the group read of Middlemarch. After that, I get to make another book box selection :D It's been mixed so far - one very good and one ok!

I'm going to have to rattle off some reviews now to make myself feel vaguely productive :D

#5 Rebecca by Daphne Du Maurier 

Synopsis: Last night I dreamt I went to Manderley again . . .

Working as a lady's companion, the heroine of Rebecca learns her place. Life begins to look very bleak until, on a trip to the South of France, she meets Maxim de Winter, a handsome widower whose sudden proposal of marriage takes her by surprise. She accepts, but whisked from glamorous Monte Carlo to the ominous and brooding Manderley, the new Mrs de Winter finds Max a changed man. And the memory of his dead wife Rebecca is forever kept alive by the forbidding Mrs Danvers . . .

Thoughts: Where to begin. It feels like ages since I read this and yet it seems like no time at all, because this book consumed me. No other word for it. I felt entwined in these characters lives, and loved and loathed them by turns. 

We start this book at the end, in that the narrator is telling us of her history, beginning with a dream of her old house which takes us back to its past glories. So we know vaguely how things turn out, and we know that they aren't great, but our heroine survives and is now living in exile. 

I normally don't get on with books that do that - why tell me the ending before I get there? But Du Maurier is so clever. She took me on a journey with ups, downs and roundabouts following our heroine, whose name we never learn as she is so subsumed by the shadowy presence of her new husband's first wife, Rebecca, whose name, personality and history are everywhere. 

It's such a wonderfully written book I would have been satisfied with just reading how that played out, with the wonderful interlocking between our narrator and Mrs Danvers. I wanted to slap the narrator silly sometimes as she allowed servants to walk all over her and at first Mrs Danvers appeared like a pantomime villain. But we return to Du Maurier's skill once more as she weaves a more sinister thread around Mrs Danvers, our narrator and the whole house. It's marvellously done, as I had a real sense of foreboding but couldn't tell from where. 

I won't say more than that for fear of spoilers, but please, if you haven't read this yet don't wait for your jar - read it. Now. 

5/5 (It was amazing)

Edited by Alexi

#6-11 The Malory Towers series by Enid Blyton

When it was suggested on the forum to have a reread of these, I jumped at the chance. I must have read them 20 times apiece during my childhood and adored them. In fact, I suggested to my rather hurt parents that I should go to boarding school after reading them...

As an adult, I really did enjoy revisiting them for the nostalgia. It's funny to see people being "sent to Coventry" rather than slapped with a hairbrush in more modern, PC editions, and to read through adults eyes what so delighted me as a kid. I wonder if these would be a bit dated for children now, even the pre-teen market, but they seemed to do just fine in the 1990s. 

As an silt, you do notice some more worrying aspects which fly over kids heads - such as "normal" children don't get homesick, and there's a huge element of conformity - not being good at games is a mortal sin, tears are sneered at as is having a fear of pretty much anything! 

Still, they were fun then, they were fun now and it was a good bout of nostalgia to enjoy with our forum friends - although as Frankie discovered, probably best not to be read as an adult for the first time!