Devi's Book-Everest for 2015

Devi

I finished Animal Farm last night. Wow Orwell sure can pack a punch in such a short book. I really enjoyed it. Except...

i was sad when the pigs sent Boxer away to the knackers.

Edited by Devi

• Replies 131
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Animal Farm is brilliant! I really want to re-read some Orwell.

Btw have you read/got any of Philip K. Dick's short stories? I read the first collection and thought it was great, I haven't got any of the others yet though.

Other than reading Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep, and having watched the animation of A Scanner Darkly, no I haven't. What's the first collection of short stories called?

Other than reading Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep, and having watched the animation of A Scanner Darkly, no I haven't. What's the first collection of short stories called?

I think there could be multiple series of them, but the edition I had was called 'Beyond Lies the Wub'

I think there could be multiple series of them, but the edition I had was called 'Beyond Lies the Wub'

Thanks, will check it out. I have a few of his novels on my TBR pile.

I started reading How to be a Victorian last night. First chapter was called getting up. One bit that had me oddly fascinated was the part, and I know this will sound weird, but the part about sanitary towels (a.k.a tampons and pads).

If you were embarrassed to go buy them personally, you could get them delivered to you in brown discreet packaging. They also had ads in magazines that said Southwell's Sanitary Towels, but later the ad was changed to have the girls hand covering the word sanitary, as the word was deemed too intimate for most people's sensibilities.

Not only that, but they didn't really have underwear at first, so sanitary towels used to be clipped onto belts to hold them up using suspender type straps. It wasn't until later on did underwear start becoming the fashion.

I would imagine someone coming from the 1800's into our present time, and seeing one of our sanitary ads, might just faint watching it. :giggle2:

Next part is called getting dressed.

Edited by Devi

That sounds pretty fascinating, Devi! I remember this subject was briefly touched upon in The Crimson Petal and the White by Michel Faber (a fictional story taking place in that time), and I found it interesting to read about how things worked back then. I hope you enjoy the rest of the chapters in your book, too :)!

That sounds pretty fascinating, Devi! I remember this subject was briefly touched upon in The Crimson Petal and the White by Michel Faber (a fictional story taking place in that time), and I found it interesting to read about how things worked back then. I hope you enjoy the rest of the chapters in your book, too :)!

I have this book on my shelf. Think I might read it after this one, seems only fitting.

It's a great book, Devi, I think you'll enjoy it :)

Not only that, but they didn't really have underwear at first, so sanitary towels used to be clipped onto belts to hold them up using suspender type straps. It wasn't until later on did underwear start becoming the fashion.

If I remember correctly, that was still in use well into the twentieth century. I'm sure I remember reading that in Judy Blume's Are You There God? It's Me, Margaret which was published in 1970.

It's a great book, Devi, I think you'll enjoy it :)

If I remember correctly, that was still in use well into the twentieth century. I'm sure I remember reading that in Judy Blume's Are You There God? It's Me, Margaret which was published in 1970.

My mum said she remembered something similar still being around for her eldest sister. She is the youngest of three girls - all are five years apart in age. She remembers the chemist having pads and them being in plain packaging.

I love hearing about the past and how things have changed. It fascinates me. Wonder what people will think about us in a few hundred years...

OMG I hate the packaging!  It's like, do we have to BROADCAST the fact??  Ugh. 

I remember the belted pads though.  I never wore them, but I remember being taught about them in Health/ sex education (which was probably right out of your Victorian lol)

What's wrong with the packaging? I think it's fairly bad in this day and age if anyone has any issue with women bleeding a few days a month. The human race never would have survived this long if our collective constitution was as frail centuries ago as it clearly is today lol!

What's wrong with the packaging? I think it's fairly bad in this day and age if anyone has any issue with women bleeding a few days a month.

Oh I don't care what anyone thinks, it's just a private thing for me.  Here, on the package you get a huge picture of the product, plus it's like, a pink bag with SUPER STRENGTH or EXTRA LONG or whatever all over it.  It's just... my business, ya know ;)

The human race never would have survived this long if our collective constitution was as frail centuries ago as it clearly is today lol!

True  :giggle2:   I always thought it was cool that Jean M. Auel dealt with the issue in Clan of the Cave Bear.

Oh I don't care what anyone thinks, it's just a private thing for me.  Here, on the package you get a huge picture of the product, plus it's like, a pink bag with SUPER STRENGTH or EXTRA LONG or whatever all over it.  It's just... my business, ya know ;)

Fair enough I suppose. Our packaging isn't that much different, pictures, strength, day or night etc. I guess don't really mind what people know about the workings of my uterus, to me it's the same as any other toiletries like shampoo and conditioner. Does my shampoo enhance my totally dyed red hair? Yup, and I don't care who knows :lol: 

Haha I am the same. When I buy my things, I always go to a register with a chick - at least I know they can sympathise. Once I went up to a young kid and he put this huge smile on as he picked the packet up and scanned it. Always creeped me out.

Why were you smiling damn it!

That's pretty immature! You'd think a check out person would be used to it. I don't mind who serves me when I'm buying them, but I hate having to use them in public toilets. They seem to make the packaging as noisy as they possibly can! Why?!  :censored: I know it's nothing to be embarrassed about, but like someone else said, it's my business! I don't need everyone to know when it's that exact time of month.

Haha I am the same. When I buy my things, I always go to a register with a chick

I used to be embarrassed, when I was young, but now I don't feel worried is it is a guy at the checkout, but I haven't had the strange experience that you had - that would have been creepy . I usually have a very stony face if there is a young guys handling sanitary stuff, just to make sure that I would't take any  :censored: with them, if they were immature  :theboss:  :D

I don't mind who serves me when I'm buying them, but I hate having to use them in public toilets. They seem to make the packaging as noisy as they possibly can! Why?!  :censored: I know it's nothing to be embarrassed about, but like someone else said, it's my business! I don't need everyone to know when it's that exact time of month.

:I-Agree:But I know that it's quite irrational  :blush2: Plus these wrappings are supposed to be silent or have a 'whisper effect', it always seems noisy in public loos.  :giggle2: Thank heaven for disabled toilets for me, then I have the peace and quiet alone    :D  

Haha I am the same. When I buy my things, I always go to a register with a chick - at least I know they can sympathise. Once I went up to a young kid and he put this huge smile on as he picked the packet up and scanned it. Always creeped me out.

Why were you smiling damn it!

One time, all my mom and I bought was a box and 4 candy bars :giggle2: Well!  They were buy 3 get 1 free ;) We went to a girl cashier.