John's Books Read 2015

geordie9

Where would you suggest one should start with King? I've read CellBlaze and Duma Key - and off the top of my head I think that's it. I've always meant to properly get stuck into more of his books but never bothered. Any thoughts on where I should go next? 

Where would you suggest one should start with King? I've read CellBlaze and Duma Key - and off the top of my head I think that's it. I've always meant to properly get stuck into more of his books but never bothered. Any thoughts on where I should go next? 

I think you should jump in at the deep end and read The Stand. Its a brilliant book.

I would consider Cell to be one of his worst, so you did well to continue after that! Blaze is a Richard Bachman isn't it? I think that one was good, as was Duma Key.

Like Geordie9 says, The Stand is one of his seminal works so a good one to read but if that seems like too big a tome to take on, I'd recommend the old classics like Carrie, The Shining and Christine. The Bachman Books are also fantastic.

If you like a bit more fantasy added in, The Talisman and the Dark Tower series are brilliant.

If you want something less 'horrory', Dolores Claiborne, Rose Madder or 11.22.63 are a good bet.

I think you should jump in at the deep end and read The Stand. Its a brilliant book.

I think someone on here suggested I go straight in with The Stand - a few years ago now, probably - too. I can imagine I'll get to it sooner rather than later.

I would consider Cell to be one of his worst, so you did well to continue after that! Blaze is a Richard Bachman isn't it? I think that one was good, as was Duma Key.

Like Geordie9 says, The Stand is one of his seminal works so a good one to read but if that seems like too big a tome to take on, I'd recommend the old classics like Carrie, The Shining and Christine. The Bachman Books are also fantastic.

If you like a bit more fantasy added in, The Talisman and the Dark Tower series are brilliant.

If you want something less 'horrory', Dolores Claiborne, Rose Madder or 11.22.63 are a good bet.

Thanks! I've actually read 11.22.63 (completely forgot!) and loved it, but I feel like I need to really tackle his main horror books - after all that's what he's known for I suppose! Cheers for the recommendations - lots to be going on with. 

I'd go with some of the oldies:  Cujo, Salem's Lot, The Shining, Firestarter, The Dead Zone, It - all fab  :smile:

Cheers Steve. The Shining has been one of the books I've been leaning towards, although it doesn't sound like I can go far wrong with King judging by the amount of suggestions I've already received.  :D

I don't really find that his work is that scary, just creepy, like Carrie (I haven't read It or The Shinning).  And I love his *other* stuff too, like 11.22.63, as mentioned, The Body (Which is included In an awesome collection called Different Seasons), The Green Mile...

But ya, The Stand is where I'd start too, but don't forget Thinner, it's my favorite (and ok, maybe that one is scary).

Psst- you asked the wrong question :giggle2:

Psst- you asked the wrong question :giggle2:

I'm beginning to think so. :lol: In all seriousness though, thanks for the recommendations, got plenty to be going on with now!

• 1 month later...

I loved Insomnia, thought I know a lot of people slated it. :dunno:

The first time i read it i didnt really understand much about it but after reading all the Dark Towers then rereading this i understand all the connections.

• 2 weeks later...

I am intrigued.  Definitely something to think about for next year!

Have you gotten to anything new- like Revival?

No im still reading them in order and i'm only upto Nightmares and Dreamscapes (1994) so far, im so tempted to read his new stuff but i'm not giving into temptation haha

• 1 month later...