Dtr's 2015 Booklist

dtrpath27

I've seen the thread you've set up for the quartet (and I used to think it was a trilogy! :o) and I'm interested but I don't have copies of the two other books, unfortunately. Okay I've just checked the library and they have copies of all the books! Oh dear.. :D Okay, I'm up for it! I'll post in the thread to bump it up ... :D

It was a trilogy until just a couple of years ago, so there's nothing really wrong with still thinking of it as a quartet. I keep thinking of it as a trilogy too. :) I have the second and third books on my TBR pile, but not the fourth. I need to rectify that!

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It was a trilogy until just a couple of years ago, so there's nothing really wrong with still thinking of it as a quartet. I keep thinking of it as a trilogy too. :) I have the second and third books on my TBR pile, but not the fourth. I need to rectify that!

Well that certainly explains it!! :lol: :lol:  :doh:   Wanna join us in a read-a-long if you have the time when we finally read it? :)

I just noticed in my quoted post that I made a typo. When I wrote 'quartet', I meant 'trilogy'. :blush2: But I'm sure you know what I was trying to say. ;)

I might try to join you, yes. My Malory Towers read-a-long didn't get very far, so I'll try harder with this one! At least I own copies of the books already, so reading them will actually work towards reducing my TBR pile.

I just noticed in my quoted post that I made a typo. When I wrote 'quartet', I meant 'trilogy'. :blush2: But I'm sure you know what I was trying to say. ;)

I didn't even notice that!! :D The words have become practically interchangeable :D They mess with one's head!

I might try to join you, yes. My Malory Towers read-a-long didn't get very far, so I'll try harder with this one! At least I own copies of the books already, so reading them will actually work towards reducing my TBR pile.

That's great! :smile2: Be sure to look out for the group read thread dtrpath started :)

Edited by frankie

January 2015

The Unlikely Pilgrimage of Harold Fry

by Rachel Joyce

Fiction

319 pages

Retiree Harold Fry lives an ordinary life in an ordinary house with his wife Maureen. One day, a letter arrives from a person in Harold's past, setting him upon a journey that is anything but ordinary.

Well, hmm...this was a mixed bag for me. I really enjoyed reading this book, but then I didn't. It was well-written with interesting, relatable characters. Very human. However, chunks of the plot seemed to be snagged from various movies; this thought stayed with me throughout. It was very bittersweet, as well, so much so that it bordered on depressing for me. I don't think I would re-read it, but it was enjoyable enough for $1.99. I would recommend getting it from the library, but not buying a hardback. Others might feel differently, but I just don't like the feeling I was left with. Unsettled, but not in a good way. Perhaps morose is the word I'm looking for?

I wasn't that keen on this book either, and like you, I'd read different plot points in other books before, so it didn't feel that original.  It was ok, but nothing more, and I actually felt it was quite predictable.  I was actually a bit bored by it most of the time.  I've just read her second book, and I didn't get on with that either, so I won't be reading any more of her books.

January 2015

The Girl Who Saved the King of Sweden

By Jonas Jonasson

Fiction

419 pages

This is the story of Nombeko, a young South African girl who goes from a deplorable reality where wages earned collecting waste from the village latrines go to support her drug addicted mother to living an equally unbelievable existence as the savior of the King of Sweden.

Inserting an unlikely and unwitting character into significant historical events, The Girl Who Saved the King of Sweden follows in the tradition of Jonasson's similarly titled first book, The Man Who Climbed Out a Window and Disappeared. I found the book to be enjoyable enough, just as I did the first one. The author has an interesting and enjoyable writing style. In comparing the two books, (which was esentially unavoidable) I enjoyed the storyline of the first more, but the main character of the second better. Like the first installment, I give it a 4 out of 5 rating -- enough to merit the $1.99 I spent on it at the Kindle store, but not enough to buy a hardback to take up space on my shelf and read over and over.

I wasn't that keen on this book either, and like you, I'd read different plot points in other books before, so it didn't feel that original.  It was ok, but nothing more, and I actually felt it was quite predictable.  I was actually a bit bored by it most of the time.  I've just read her second book, and I didn't get on with that either, so I won't be reading any more of her books.

I wasn't really motivated to pick up the sequel, so I'm glad to hear my instincts were correct. I liked Harold well enough, but a week or so after finishing the book, I find that it's all I remember fondly from it. :shrug:

The Girl Who Saved the King of Sweden

By Jonas Jonasson

I'm happy that you liked this one  :smile: , another one in my ebook TBR - and I bought this one of the kindle daily deals recently. Decent deals are quite rare in the daily deals there days.