Dtr's 2015 Booklist

dtrpath27

January 2015

Legendarium by Michael Bunker and Kevin G. Summers

147 Pages

Genre: Fantasy/Satire???

In a world where there is a world for each book or story ever written, the Legendarium is the great library in the sky where all those worlds intersect. The Legendarium, however, is under attack, and with the destruction of each literary world comes an irreversible ripple of changes in the real world. In come published author Bombo Dawson and creative writing instructor Alistair Foley, recruited by Kurt Vonnegut and Leo Tolstoy, to save the world of literature from epic collapse.

I'm quite torn on this one. I am generally a sucker for books about books, and the synopsis really appealed to me, however I couldn't have been more disappointed. I loved the concept, but I found it to be quite clumsy and poorly written. Furthermore, the constant references to Amazon, the Kindle store and self-publishing, although intended to be humorously ironic, were simply annoying and made me feel duped. There were many wonderful, five-star reviews of this novella, so perhaps there is something I'm missing. Personally, I would give it three stars: the average of five for concept and one for execution. I definitely didn't find it to be worth the money I paid would return it if I could. :(

Edited by dtrpath27

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Legendarium by Michael Bunker and Kevin G. Summers

I'm quite torn on this one. I am generally a sucker for books about books, and the synopsis really appealed to me, however I couldn't have been more disappointed. I loved the concept, but I found it to be quite clumsy and poorly written. Furthermore, the constant references to Amazon, the Kindle store and self-publishing, although intended to be humorously ironic, were simply annoying and made me feel duped. There were many wonderful, five-star reviews of this novella, so perhaps there is something I'm missing. Personally, I would give it three stars: the average of five for concept and one for execution. I definitely didn't find it to be worth the money I paid would return it if I could. :(

Aww shucks, that's such a shame! Like you, I'm into books about books and I can imagine how excited you must've been to get into this and you must've had great expectations for it :(  :empathy:  

January 2015

The Giver

by Lois Lowry

179 pages

Genre: Young Adult dystopian

Jonas has lived his life in a carefully ordered utopian community where pain and suffering have been all but eradicated. With the onset his twelfth birthday, Jonas is assigned his vocation, a vocation unlike any other in the community. Now set upon a journey of discovery and truth, of secrets and lies, Jonas must face a reality far removed from the life he once knew.

This book was not at all what I had expected. Truthfully, I didn't really even know what it was about until I downloaded it and started reading. I am so glad I did. It was poignant and thought-provoking, reaching far deeper than one would expect from a book that finds itself on many middle school required reading lists. The depth of the story is remarkable, and definitely deserves all the attention it has received.

Thanks everyone! It was one of those rare instances where I went into it with zero expectations. A friend's daughter was reading it for seventh grade Reading class and needed help reviewing for the test. I was ashamed to admit that I had never read it before, so when I saw it for $1.99 on Kindle, I had to jump at it. I'm so glad I did!

I know! Part of my intense dislike might be that I'm reading another book about books, Shadow of the Wind, and the contrast between the two pieces is just so...well, glaring.

Ah yes, it was bound to seem all the more poorer because TSotW is so fantastic :(  I'm not happy you didn't enjoy the novel, but I'm happy that it makes TSotW seem even better :blush::giggle2: 

January 2015

The Giver

by Lois Lowry

179 pages

Genre: Young Adult dystopian

Jonas has lived his life in a carefully ordered utopian community where pain and suffering have been all but eradicated. With the onset his twelfth birthday, Jonas is assigned his vocation, a vocation unlike any other in the community. Now set upon a journey of discovery and truth, of secrets and lies, Jonas must face a reality far removed from the life he once knew.

This book was not at all what I had expected. Truthfully, I didn't really even know what it was about until I downloaded it and started reading. I am so glad I did. It was poignant and thought-provoking, reaching far deeper than one would expect from a book that finds itself on many middle school required reading lists. The depth of the story is remarkable, and definitely deserves all the attention it has received.

I agree, it goes so much deeper than one would expect! But it's not preachy or anything. It seems like an effortless novel, and yet it manages to go so deep! :) I'm happy your review has made some members on here add the book to their wishlist and bump it up on their TBR pile :D Job well done!

Ah yes, it was bound to seem all the more poorer because TSotW is so fantastic :(  I'm not happy you didn't enjoy the novel, but I'm happy that it makes TSotW seem even better :blush::giggle2:

See, you so understand! :D I'm getting deeper and deeper into TSofTW and am loving it more with every page. There's no way the other could even come close.

I agree, it goes so much deeper than one would expect! But it's not preachy or anything. It seems like an effortless novel, and yet it manages to go so deep! :) I'm happy your review has made some members on here add the book to their wishlist and bump it up on their TBR pile :D Job well done!

Thanks! I hope everyone who reads it enjoys it. :)

January 2015

The Unlikely Pilgrimage of Harold Fry

by Rachel Joyce

Fiction

319 pages

Retiree Harold Fry lives an ordinary life in an ordinary house with his wife Maureen. One day, a letter arrives from a person in Harold's past, setting him upon a journey that is anything but ordinary.

Well, hmm...this was a mixed bag for me. I really enjoyed reading this book, but then I didn't. It was well-written with interesting, relatable characters. Very human. However, chunks of the plot seemed to be snagged from various movies; this thought stayed with me throughout. It was very bittersweet, as well, so much so that it bordered on depressing for me. I don't think I would re-read it, but it was enjoyable enough for $1.99. I would recommend getting it from the library, but not buying a hardback. Others might feel differently, but I just don't like the feeling I was left with. Unsettled, but not in a good way. Perhaps morose is the word I'm looking for?

Edited by dtrpath27

I'm not sure what 'morose' means but it's a shame it wasn't brilliant for you. I'm glad you liked it somewhat though. I liked the story but didn't love it. There were certain faults with it and I didn't like a few of the plot twists. I did enjoy though the description of the English countryside and some of the characters among other things. I hope your next read will be more enjoyable for you.

I know what you mean, I had the same very mixed feelings about it. It seemed to have all the ingredients for a great book, but I felt it was very flat in places. I wanted to like it a lot more as I was reading it, but ultimately I was left disappointed (and unsure why).

I loved it, but I think it helped that I listened to it whilst walking - so I felt almost a part of Harold's pilgrimage.  :)

Edit:  I totally understand what you mean about it feeling morose though. :)

Edited by Janet

I know what you mean, I had the same very mixed feelings about it. It seemed to have all the ingredients for a great book, but I felt it was very flat in places. I wanted to like it a lot more as I was reading it, but ultimately I was left disappointed (and unsure why).

Very well said.

I loved it, but I think it helped that I listened to it whilst walking - so I felt almost a part of Harold's pilgrimage. :)

Edit: I totally understand what you mean about it feeling morose though. :)

It would be perfect for walking, wouldn't it? Edited by dtrpath27

See, you so understand! I'm getting deeper and deeper into TSofTW and am loving it more with every page. There's no way the other could even come close.

I understand every gushing thing re: TSotW :blush:  :giggle2::D I should really re-read it!!

Thanks! I hope everyone who reads it enjoys it. 

I've seen the thread you've set up for the quartet (and I used to think it was a trilogy! :o) and I'm interested but I don't have copies of the two other books, unfortunately. Okay I've just checked the library and they have copies of all the books! Oh dear.. :D Okay, I'm up for it! I'll post in the thread to bump it up ... :D

Edit: and see, I wrote I don't have copies of the two other books :D That old school frankie!!  :doh:  I now know, thanks to you, that there are three more books to the series... :D 

Edited by frankie

I have no idea why I thought it was a trilogy :shrug::blush: But if the other books are as good as the first one, I'm only glad there are more of the books than I thought :D 

I'm still in the middle of the Malory Towers read-a-long so I wouldn't be ready for this one yet. We can discuss when to start the books in the other thread, and hope that more people will get curious about the books :smile2: 

Great review :) For the most part I loved TUPOHarold Fry but then it did depress me and there were bits of it towards the end that I could hardly read/listen to as they made me too upset .. I could never read the sequel written from Queenie's perspective. I liked the way it started though very much. I listened to it too and Jim Broadbent read it ... he made a perfect Harold.