First Line of Current Book - 2015

Kylie

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

“ON MONDAY THE THIRTEENTH OF MAY IN THE year 1876, between the hours of two and three in the afternoon on a day that combined the freshness of spring with the warmth of summer, numerous individuals in Moscow’s Alexander Gardens unexpectedly found themselves eyewitnesses to the perpetration of an outrage that flagrantly transgressed the bounds of common decency.”

The Winter Queen by Boris Akunin

I love the last part of that sentence. :D

“ON MONDAY THE THIRTEENTH OF MAY IN THE year 1876, between the hours of two and three in the afternoon on a day that combined the freshness of spring with the warmth of summer, numerous individuals in Moscow’s Alexander Gardens unexpectedly found themselves eyewitnesses to the perpetration of an outrage that flagrantly transgressed the bounds of common decency.”

The Winter Queen by Boris Akunin

I love the last part of that sentence. :D

Oh my word, that sounds really complex :thud: I'm glad I read it in Finnish :D 

:D Definitely a long sentence, that one, and with big words! But I'd say it's fairly uncommon compared to the rest of the book, which is written in an easier style. Are you planning to read the rest of the series?

:D Definitely a long sentence, that one, and with big words! But I'd say it's fairly uncommon compared to the rest of the book, which is written in an easier style. Are you planning to read the rest of the series?

Very big words! :D Yes, I'm planning on reading the rest of it, I've been planning on it for quite a few years now :giggle:

Imogen was in a deep sleep, nestled into Finn's chest, two duvets and a wool blanket covering them, when her mobile went off.

The Heavenly Italian Ice Cream Shop by Abby Clements

I'm very much looking forward to this one Claire. :)

"At dusk they pour from the sky. They blow across the ramparts, turn cartwheels over rooftops, flutter into the ravines between houses".

All The Light We Cannot See - Anthony Doerr.

• 1 month later...

'It wasn't too late to turn back. Driving through the fog at a quarter past midnight, Letty waited for the exit signs that appeared without warning, willing herself to swerve off the freeway and return the way she'd come.'

- We Never Asked For Wings by Vanessa Diffenbaugh.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...