First Line of Current Book - 2015

Kylie

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sorry Kylie, I didn't realise how long the last thread was. :)

"I blame Charles Dickens for the death of my father."

This House is Haunted by John Boyne.

"The freezing rain sifts down, handfuls of shining rice thrown by some unseen celebrant."

~ 'Alphinland', Stone Mattress: Nine Tales by Margaret Atwood.

A gentle breeze from the north-east after a night of rain, and the washed sky over Malta had a particular quality in its light that sharpened the lines of the noble buildings, bringing out all the virtue of the stone; the air too was a delight to breathe, and the city of Valletta was as cheerful as though it were fortunate in love or as though it had suddenly heard good news.

- Treason's Harbour by Patrick O'Brian

My sister and I and our little brother were born (in that order) into a very good situation and, apart from the odd new thing, life was humdrum and comfortable until an evening in 1970 when our mother listened in to our father's phone call and ended up blowing her nose on a tea towel - a thing she'd only have done in an absolute emergency.

Man at the Helm by Nina Stibbe

I really enjoyed it! I need to write my review on it. It's part of a mystery series featuring Flavia de Luce. The first one is The Sweetness at the Bottom of the Pie. I think several on here read it and enjoyed it.

I've just read it too (The Weed That Strings the Hangman's Bag) .. I absolutely love Flavia :) 

She was the only person to get off the train and as it pulled out again, leaving her on the empty platform, she watched the receding line of carriages tail into the distance; the dried leaves, caught in a flurry of air, chased after them down the track.

The Dynamite Room by Jason Hewitt

As I sat in the sun on the wooden dock that jutted out into the pond, I knew this to be true: my name was Buddy, and I was a good dog.

A Dog's Journey ~ W. Bruce Cameron

Awwwwwww :wub::D

"Georgie pulled into the driveway, swerving to miss a bike."

Landline by Rainbow Rowell 

As I sat in the sun on the wooden dock that jutted out into the pond, I knew this to be true: my name was Buddy, and I was a good dog.

A Dog's Journey ~ W. Bruce Cameron

I have this book on my TBR, the first line sounds great already!

I know that some of you reading this are convinced humans are a myth, but I am here to state that they do actually exist.

Matt Haig - The Humans