Grand Canyon Winter Wonderland

pontalba

Just wanted to share this absolutely fantastical, gorgeous array of pictures of an unusual occurrence. 

The pictures are amazing, more than I can describe.

Enjoy!  http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/capital-weather-gang/wp/2015/01/02/new-years-snow-storm-turns-grand-canyon-into-winter-wonderland-photos/?tid=trending_strip_1

I've never gotten that far west yet myself . Maybe someday !

Noll,

you probably picked the hottest month of the year to be there . August is pretty doggone hot here and probably in most of the states I'd guess .

What all else did you see while over here ?

I was in Los Angeles, Las Vegas, Tijuana, New York, and Pittsburgh Massachusetts (to visit a relative). :)

The Grand Canyon was a day trip out from Vegas. The heat was brutal everywhere - most bearable I think in Los Angeles, as that's the only place I don't remember headaches/exhaustion from. NY was too humid, and Vegas/Canyon too dry. I like cold weather even by Irish standards - generally I like it just slightly above freezing!

Noll

If you get to make the trip again, then try to come early Fall, maybe the beginning of October . That weather would probably suit you much better and it's beautiful over here in the Fall, with all the changing colors, etc .

I don't like it when it's too humid like that either ,

I didn't have a choice at the time as I was 16 and it was a family trip - I then went to Toronto in early October of 2013 and again, the heat was awful, 17-20 degrees celsius everyday. I don't think I'll ever again travel except between January and March! :P

Oh, I'm glad you enjoyed them!  :D  I really want to drive out there.  It's only 1559 miles, or 2508 km. 

Almost 23 hours straight driving, not counting sleep, eating, refueling...etc.  :D

I'd love to visit the GC one day! What a sight it must be...

Noll, 17-20 celsius is hot for you? Oh dear, I don't think she should ever visit Australia. It would probably be just bearable for you in the coldest states (Tasmania and Victoria) in the depths of winter. I don't love the cold but I can't stand the heat. It's over 30 degrees most days here at the moment, and gets over 40 sometimes. I can only deal with it by never going out.

Kylie, I have less than no intention of ever visiting Australia, South America, southern parts of Europe (like Italy), or anywhere that really isn't Canada or Scandinavia :P I would die in any of those places hehe!

My friend is going to the Grand Canyon in March. :)