To read poetry?

frankie

I agree about reading from a book as well, but the challenge would be finding the collections at an affordable price, but I'm just a bystander and whatever the group wants to do, I would go along with. 

I do agree with the romanticism of reading poetry from a book -- being able to sit while holding the book and ponder what was just read and such. Reading from a tablet or phone does seem a bit sterilized for the subject matter, doesn't it?

I just love the whole idea you've had of exploring poetry, Frankie, and I'm happy to do any which way. I tend to get excited about things and start running around on all sorts of tangents, so feel free to set me back on course, everyone. ;)

I don't want to stifle your enthusiasm in any way! It was a very good idea and one that I think we could still explore. I'm just happy that other people want to do this! :) 

And there's no reason why we can't do both, actually, if we want. We could do a group thing with someone posting a poem on here and then reading it and discussing it together, and we could do another group thing where we read a book. By the end of the year, poetry's all we read... :D

I agree about reading from a book as well, but the challenge would be finding the collections at an affordable price, but I'm just a bystander and whatever the group wants to do, I would go along with. 

Yes, that's the dilemma, isn't it. The thing is, being from Finland, I don't know what kinds of collections you guys have overseas and overoceans and someone else might know more about it. 

I can't believe I didn't think to check the Poetry section on here to get ideas about what to read. Maybe there's something there? 

Keep the ideas coming! And please let me know if you want us to set up some sort of poll of which poet to read, or if you want me to just randomly select someone so we can get started! 

Here are some threads that might be helpful, in case anyone's interested. I'm going to take a closer look at them myself. (These are all from BCF)

Poetry for beginners

Favorite Poet?

A question for non poetry lovers

Suggestions for someone who doesn't read poetry

I like the suggestion that Angury makes in the first link you posted. It was something like 101 poems to remember or something similar to that. I think that would be a good starting point since it has different poets and styles. A good starter to dip your toes in  :smile:

• 4 weeks later...

Can I just be like a complete dictator and say why don't we read this book? Sonnets from the Portuguese Elizabeth Barrett Browning. I know it's not what we discussed exactly, but I've got a copy and she's famous/well-liked or some such things. :shrug: Just to get us finally going? 

Ooooh, we've got two YESes! :exc: (And when we read the book and have talked it through, someone else can pick the next book if you're still interested in a group read. We can all be dictators, each in turn :D Democratic dictatorship is the way to go!)

Anyone else? 

Well... I say we start this weekend? That'll give everyone a bit of time. And if some people are ready to start earlier, they can go ahead. The one thing I'm not sure about it is how we should go about this. I don't think any of us has the stamina to go over the book one poem at a time, but we can't lump it all together, either :D And Sonnets from the Portuguese itself is 21 pages long... Maybe we could start with one poem first, to ease our way into the book and then decide how to proceed from there? A Child Asleep perhaps, being the first after SftP? 

I started a specific thread for the book :)

Edited by frankie

• 1 year later...

I am in ofcourse!!

anything you choose

:readingtwo:  :readingtwo:  :readingtwo:  :readingtwo:  :readingtwo:

I have read many many poets from my country and some really few from others! 

The only ones that I can suggest you must be translated from the poet or other famous people. Although the translation is always good enough I dont know if you would like that.

May I start with the poet in my signature! Constantine P. Cavafy Who I am a huge fan! I cant even discribe him!~! He  generally writes "historical" poems. (If I can say it like that).

I mean he uses environments and people from tthe past to actually pass his message. Sooo again if you d like that I could suggest few!  :blush2:  :blush2:  :smile:

Edited by Poet

• 6 months later...