To read poetry?

frankie

Hello everyone! :)

I was wondering, at the turn of the year, that I should try something new this year, and poetry was one of the things that came to mind initially. I'm not good at reading poetry, because I'm most often a plot driven person, and I'm not quick to recognize symbolism and things. For this reason, I thought it might be beneficial to see if there's other people who would be interested in reading poetry together. 

We could choose a book together and see how it goes. We could discuss what we make of each poem together, but we could also google what others have said about them (the ones who should know, the pros :blush:). 

Would anyone be interested in doing this? 

I would definitely be interested. I think it makes reading poetry less intimidating when you're reading it at the same time as others and can discuss it. 

Reading more poetry is one of my goals for this year, so this would be a great way to get myself started. Great suggestion!

I don't want to give a definite yes, but, depending on what is chosen, I might well join in.  I don't want to get bogged down with too many (more) things I have to read at the expense of things I'd like to read in 2015.  I hope that's okay?  :)

I don't want to give a definite yes, but, depending on what is chosen, I might well join in.  I don't want to get bogged down with too many (more) things I have to read at the expense of things I'd like to read in 2015.  I hope that's okay?  :)

I second this. :)

I'm so happy to see the turn up, there are more interested than I had been daring to hope! :smile2: 

Actually, I would be interested if it were the right group of poems. We're you thinking a collection of different poems by various authors?

I was actually thinking of choosing a poet and then a book by him/her. Not a collection. But if the majority of you guys are more interested in doing collections, then by all means! :) 

I think it makes reading poetry less intimidating when you're reading it at the same time as others and can discuss it. 

This is exactly why I started the thread: the intimidation factor! :blush::D

That's most definitely okay! I don't want this to feel like a chore to anyone. You can all participate as much as you choose, or pass if we choose something that's not your cup of tea. :)

The subject matter might be intimidating to some (well, at least to me!), so we'll keep it as loose as possible :) 

Seeing as we have already so many interested, I think we could start bouncing ideas of what to read. Does anyone have any ideas, suggestions, wishes? Personally I'd like to read something from the 20th century, because I find that easier and it'll be an easy way in, if one wants to go deeper into the past in the future (that sounded odd).

I really have no idea what's out there, but maybe a short collection of different authors would be a wise starting point, then if we find one whose style is particularly appealing, we can delve more deeply into his or her works.

Contemporary writing might very well make it more accessible. Maybe that's the problem -- that poetry seems like something long ago and far away, for some angsty person pining on a hillside, if you know what I mean. Not that I object to older works, so many are so beautiful, but that has been my only exposure to poetry.

We could go for a short collection of different poets, if no one's willing to throw any names out there. Does anyone know who would be a great poet to start with? To ease our way into the subject? 

Names I've been thinking about: Dorothy Parker, Margaret Atwood, Elizabeth Bishop. 

I might be interested in this. The only 'poet' I've read in depth is Charles Bukowski and even though he's produced some brilliant pieces of work he may not be for everyone. 

http://www.poemhunter.com/poem/bluebird/

Maya Angelou is one I want to read more of

http://www.poetryfoundation.org/poem/178942

http://emilyspoetryblog.com/2013/11/16/still-i-rise-by-maya-angelou/

Edit: Well I just went ahead and bought 'and still I rise' by Maya Angelou. 

Edited by Melodious

I second this. :)

I'm with these :)

I'd recommend Lyrical Ballads by Wordsworth and Coleridge. It's only 100 pages long or so and contains a nice selection of short poems as well as my favourite: The Rime of the Ancient Mariner.

I was thinking of something more temporary :) 20th century. Unless the majority of others don't mind going more 'old school'. :)

Someone over on Constant Reader spoke of Kay Ryan...posted one of her poems.  Aparently she is a fairly prolific writer.  She was Poet Laureate of the U.S. 2008 - 2010.

Here is the poem the poster put up.

by Kay Ryan

Great thoughts
do not nourish
small thoughts
as parents do children.

Like the eucalyptus,
they make the soil
beneath them barren.

Standing in a
grove of them
is hideous.    

I believe there are at least 7 volumes of her poems. 

Edited by pontalba

Here's an idea...even if it's a rubbish idea, maybe it will spark a great idea from someone else. ;)

Apparently about fifteen or so countries carry on the tradition of having a Poet Laureate -- or so says the infallible Wikipedia. What if we take turns or whatever (or someone could organize it all) Picking one poet from each country and finding one of their publicly available (ahem, free and no worries of copyright infringement) poems to post/link on here for everyone to discuss. When discussion on that one peters out, we can move onto a new country and new poet laureate. Frankie, you could sort of moderate the whole thread, you know?

The reason I've been afraid to suggest specific poets/poems is because I've read so little poetry that I couldn't begin to determine what is rubbish and what is not. I figured that with poet laureates, at least their work had to be quality.

Someone over on Constant Reader spoke of Kay Ryan...posted one of her poems. Aparently she is a fairly prolific writer. She was Poet Laureate of the U.S. 2008 - 2010.

Here is the poem the poster put up.

by Kay Ryan

Great thoughts

do not nourish

small thoughts

as parents do children.

Like the eucalyptus,

they make the soil

beneath them barren.

Standing in a

grove of them

is hideous.

I believe there are at least 7 volumes of her poems.

Great minds must think alike! I had not even seen your post when I posted mine. How funny!

The other thought I had was just for whomever wants to do so to post a poem an then we all discuss. Pontalba seems to have gotten the ball rolling. :D

Edited by dtrpath27

I think that's a very good idea as such, dtrpath27! :smile2: It would probably be the easiest way for us all to get a hold of the poem we're going to read and discuss. 

I realize I'm now beginning to seem like someone who has little niggles here and there... :blush: But I have to say that I'd rather read the poems from a book, because that's what I'm used to, and I also sort of think it would be more romantic that way :blush: (And I can still probably find all the poems that will be chosen in some book or another, I just rather read a whole book of poems, if that makes sense.)

So I'd rather not take up moderating the thread if we all decide to go with the Poet Laureate way. I'm happy to let someone else do that and I'd like to take part in that, too! :) 

I don't know how to proceed now.... Let's see, who would like to do what dtrpath27 suggested? It would definitely be the easiest way and there will be a lot of variety what with so many different poets :) 

I do agree with the romanticism of reading poetry from a book -- being able to sit while holding the book and ponder what was just read and such. Reading from a tablet or phone does seem a bit sterilized for the subject matter, doesn't it?

I just love the whole idea you've had of exploring poetry, Frankie, and I'm happy to do any which way. I tend to get excited about things and start running around on all sorts of tangents, so feel free to set me back on course, everyone. ;)