Chrissy's Reading In 2015

Chrissy

Well my reading has ground to a complete halt now. I have only read one short story since June!  :o Life's been really busy and I have been collapsing in a heap in the evenings, unable to read a word. *sigh* Come the end of this month and things should get back on track. 30 books since the beginning of the year is not too bad, and I can never really tell how things will go - I may remain mojo-less, or I may tear through libraries of books with a passion.  :shrug: Who knows? 

I have a few reviews to post up in here, but that's a tomorrow task. 

• Replies 166
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks Claire. :smile: 

There hasn't been the usual "Oh My God, I'll NEVER read again!" :o  panic that usually accompanies these 'dry spells'. I must be mellowing in my old age, or perhaps it's because I have been so mind and body busy of late, I haven't had the energy to read anyway. :readingtwo: 

I find summer more difficult .. so much stuff going on .. there's barely a spare moment!! Hope you can find some time to relax soon Chrissy xx and that your mojo comes back from its hols .. more eager than ever! :hug: 

Thanks ladies. :smile:

There is a hotel somewhere in the world that is playing host to some lounging reading mojos drinking cocktails.  

I wonder......what do our reading mojos read when they are on holiday?  :readingtwo:

So THAT's where mine is! I'll have some strong words to say to it when it shows its face again :lol:

Thanks ladies. :smile:

There is a hotel somewhere in the world that is playing host to some lounging reading mojos drinking cocktails.  

I wonder......what do our reading mojos read when they are on holiday?  :readingtwo:

I know what reading mojos read when they are on holiday, but, darned if I will tell.

So THAT's where mine is! I'll have some strong words to say to it when it shows its face again :lol:

Our mojos will have lovely tans and satisfied grins on their faces, unlike us fractious unable-to-read owners.  :giggle2:

I know what reading mojos read when they are on holiday, but, darned if I will tell.

Aw, go on....tell us...... :flowers2:

I love this idea that all our reading mojos elope together. :lol: I don't think they actually read at all when they're on holiday. I reckon they do Sudoku puzzles and wordsearches, or maybe just use colouring books. :giggle2:

ETA: Maybe they go away to get their reading mojos back? :o

Edited by Signor Finzione

I think they form a support group and talk about how demanding their owners are. ;)

Wherever my mojo is, I'm glad it has good company (assuming it's on holidays with yours, of course!) :)

Our mojos will have lovely tans and satisfied grins on their faces, unlike us fractious unable-to-read owners.  :giggle2:

I love this idea that all our reading mojos elope together. :lol: I don't think they actually read at all when they're on holiday. I reckon they do Sudoku puzzles and wordsearches, or maybe just use colouring books. :giggle2:

ETA: Maybe they go away to get their reading mojos back? :o

I love this talk of what your mojos might be doing :giggle2:.

My reading mojo knows its place. Any thoughts of desertion, and it gets a damn good talking to!

.......and it then heads out the door anyway!  :P

I had a doctors appointment yesterday and took my kindle with me, but even then I spent the time organising the books on there rather than reading.  :blush2:

• 2 weeks later...

26) 18 Things (My So Called Afterlife) by Jamie Ayres

I read this book through to the end and spent the entire time hoping that it would rise above itself and become a good story. Components were ok, but the MESSAGE was being pushed too hard throughout and it ended up just being a preachy text wrapped in an unknowing adults version of YA teen verse. Any potential was lost and you knew from the off what the big twist was going to be, not only from the title but from the incredibly unsubtle giant signposts throughout. The big reveal was nothing like, and I was stunned as a reader to discover that the central character hadn't twigged it for herself.  :doh:

27) The Psalter by Galen Watson

A Roman Catholic priest, expert in ancient manuscripts is called upon to examine a text. This leads him to a Dan Brown'esque chase across Europe with enemies at his heels. The secrets unravelled may have profound repercussions for the future of the church, the Papacy and all those of faith.

This was an enjoyable romp, with links into stories from Rome's past and the early days of the Vatican. The characters were likeable and story ran at a good pace. 

28) Ill Wind by Rachel Caine

29) Heat Stroke by Rachel Caine

30) Chill Factor by Rachel Caine

I enjoyed the total immersion reading of Rachel Caine's Morganville Vampire series, so when the first three of her Weather Warden series was on special offer on kindle last year I bought it. 

Only the Wardens stand between the wrath of Mother Earth and the clueless masses of humanity around the world ... and Joanne Baldwin is one of the best. Pity she’s on the run for her life ...(Goodreads)

The three were enjoyable, easy reads,  with a fast pace and colourful characters. A good blend of gritty action with bright fantasy. I have the later books in the series, so will eventually read the lot. 

I have a couple of the Weather Warden books (3-5), I'm glad you liked them :).

They are the kind of books you can enjoy but where they all tend to blur into one, which is just fine. We are not talking outstanding literature or Booker Prize winner, we are talking fun reads, that are pacey and flashy. Bubblegum reading!  :giggle2:

They are the kind of books you can enjoy but where they all tend to blur into one, which is just fine. We are not talking outstanding literature or Booker Prize winner, we are talking fun reads, that are pacey and flashy. Bubblegum reading!  :giggle2:

Sounds good, I find that can be enjoyable when I'm in the right mood for such type of books :giggle2:.

The previous books I read in June, but forgot to review them. After some weeks of no reading I started reading a Jonathan Nasaw book. There was no plan or decision made, I just happened to start reading it and carried on until the end.  :smile:

31) Fear Itself by Jonathan Nasaw

EL Pender. FBI agent is about to retire, and as he attempts to ease his replacement into the job at the soon to be closed liaison office a case comes up that will challenge the two agents beyond their limits. Their foe is cunning, wealthy and darkly imaginative and just when you think you are coming to the close a new thrill is thrown at you.

Pender is a great character. He is perceptive and kind, with wit and warmth served alongside his FBI instinct. The story is deceptive in it's telling, as you feel it is entering its closing chapters about midway when a twist is thrown at you. The former BCF member Catwoman recommended Mr Nasaw to me years ago, and I remembered that I had enjoyed this book, although the details remained a blur to me. I was glad of a re read, especially as it appears (I am whispering now) to have awoken my mojo.  :smile:

32) Every Day by David Levithan 

Every day I am someone else. I am myself – I know I am myself – but I am also someone else. It has always been like this. 

Each morning, A wakes up in a different body. There’s never any warning about who it will be, but A is used to that. Never get too attached. Avoid being noticed. Do not interfere. (Amazon)

I wasn't sure what to expect when I started reading, aside from it was a clever central premise that would either work really well or would read as clumsy and complicated. I needn't have worried because I can honestly say I loved this book!

A light and deft style of writing that immediately enables you to grasp the 'mechanics' of what happens to A. It doesn't labour any of this. The reader is given the what and the how and beyond that no more is really required. Original and thought provoking without being corny or moralistic, Every Day is the kind of book that makes YA fiction a delight to delve into. 

26) 18 Things (My So Called Afterlife) by Jamie Ayres

I read this book through to the end and spent the entire time hoping that it would rise above itself and become a good story. Components were ok, but the MESSAGE was being pushed too hard throughout and it ended up just being a preachy text wrapped in an unknowing adults version of YA teen verse. Any potential was lost and you knew from the off what the big twist was going to be, not only from the title but from the incredibly unsubtle giant signposts throughout. The big reveal was nothing like, and I was stunned as a reader to discover that the central character hadn't twigged it for herself.  

Just because one's mojo's up and left, doesn't make one a thick-headed reader!  :motz:  I dislike it quite passionately when authors preach. 

31) Fear Itself by Jonathan Nasaw

EL Pender. FBI agent is about to retire, and as he attempts to ease his replacement into the job at the soon to be closed liaison office a case comes up that will challenge the two agents beyond their limits. Their foe is cunning, wealthy and darkly imaginative and just when you think you are coming to the close a new thrill is thrown at you.

Pender is a great character. He is perceptive and kind, with wit and warmth served alongside his FBI instinct. The story is deceptive in it's telling, as you feel it is entering its closing chapters about midway when a twist is thrown at you. The former BCF member Catwoman recommended Mr Nasaw to me years ago, and I remembered that I had enjoyed this book, although the details remained a blur to me. I was glad of a re read, especially as it appears (I am whispering now) to have awoken my mojo.  :smile:

I like the sound of this one, it shall go on my wishlist! :smile2: 

(Good luck with mojo, let's hope it stays  :hide:   Shhhh!!)