Chrissy's Reading In 2015

Chrissy

• Replies 166
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I thought the same about The Boy In The Smoke, but oh boy did I want to hunt down his parents!  :motz: I think this set the tone for the other books, and made me forgiving of the bits I wasn't enjoying so much in them. 

The developments in The Shadow Cabinet have made the series take a different path from the one I had thought they would take, so I am intrigued and awaiting development (or indeed conclusion) in the next book of the series. It could be very good.  :smile:

I need to try one of her books, for some reason something has always put me off... Not sure what, though!

I feel strangely reticent to recommend the series, but I DID enjoy them, so I can't really explain why I am finding it so odd. I think maybe it's because I don't feel the central character of Rory is as delightful and compelling as the stories appear to promote. The other side though is that the series has such an interesting premise this carries the negatives away (kinda).

Unfathomable I reckon!  :D

17) Harry Potter & The Philosopher's Stone by JK Rowling

18) Harry Potter & The Chamber Of Secrets by JK Rowling

19) Harry Potter & The Prisoner Of Azkaban by JK Rowling

I happened upon my tree books of the series and thought "Why not?". It has been many years since I read them, and I am really enjoying being in the Wizarding universe and reacquainting myself with the small details of different scenes. Lovely stuff! :smile: 

On with book 4...................... 

Thanks Gaia & Kylie.  :smile:

I am really enjoying this re read of them. It is wonderful to reacquaint myself with the depth and breadth of the written series. It's that strange sensation where I know the story/stories very well, and the I can note the changes that were made in the movie versions, yet I am thoroughly getting into the small details and asides that made the series so readable for so many people. *happy sigh*

Aw, that's lovely. :) The great thing about a series of books (especially Harry Potter) is how you can thoroughly immerse yourself in the world for a long time. It's a bit weird coming back to reality then. :)

Sometimes people forget why they were so popular in the first place. They are great books with wonderful stories and great writing.

I think that their popularity made some readers get snobby about them, and others wanted cinematic books rather than reading books. The small details that are not relevant to the plot but give a richness to a scene are just delightful. Peeves misbehaving, Hagrid being maudlin and crying into his beard, the descriptions of rooms or people. All these little things just make the quality of the writing shine through.  :smile:

I loved the little details like that, Chrissy :).

Great, aren't they? I am so very much enjoying this re read of the series!  :smile: 

I complained to husband last night in bed that my paperback of Harry Potter & The Goblet Of Fire was getting heavy, and that I wasn't looking forward to reading the later books that I own in hardback. He bought me the entire series for my kindle today!  :kiss: I am a super happy Harry reader, and I was a VERY happy Harry reader yesterday!  :D

Great, aren't they? I am so very much enjoying this re read of the series!  :smile:

I complained to husband last night in bed that my paperback of Harry Potter & The Goblet Of Fire was getting heavy, and that I wasn't looking forward to reading the later books that I own in hardback. He bought me the entire series for my kindle today!  :kiss: I am a super happy Harry reader, and I was a VERY happy Harry reader yesterday!  :D

Wow!!!. You are the lucky person.  Reading al these posts on Harry Potter made me think of maybe doing a re-read myself but then I got to thinking how heavy all my hardbacks would be, especially at my age. :) Maybe I should drop a few hints around the house. :)

That is so nice of him :D!!

Can't you borrow them from the library for your Kindle, muggle not?

Now, why didn't I think of that. :)  I checked the library and most of the Harry Potter books only have about 4 or 5 people on the hold list and they have about 8 copies of each book so they would be available almost immediately. Some in fact are available now. Last evening I downloaded from the library "The Song of the Quarkbeast" by Jasper Fforde.

Edited by muggle not

The only problem with series at the library, I find, is that in my library at least, often only one or two books of the series are available. So if you want to read them in order you have to be lucky or wait a while until the next one you want to read, shows up.

I hope you enjoy them if you read them, Muggle Not, they are really great books :).

Now, why didn't I think of that. :)  I checked the library and most of the Harry Potter books only have about 4 or 5 people on the hold list and they have about 8 copies of each book so they would be available almost immediately. Some in fact are available now. Last evening I downloaded from the library "The Song of the Quarkbeast" by Jasper Fforde.

Glad to be of service. :)

20) Harry Potter & The Goblet Of Fire by JK Rowling

This is the first of the longer HP books, with things getting infinitely more complicated and serious for the whole of the wizard world.

A quidditch world cup, the introduction of other magical schools, a threatening infiltration at Hogwarts and the reawakening 'proper' of Voldemort. 

Conversations are especially fascinating in this book;  the interaction of the wizards at the World Cup camp-site,

the fake Alastor Moody and his often specific use of language,

the usual conversations that take place between the main characters, and in addition the peripheral conversations and interactions that add depth and colour to the books. 

There is a lot of information to be passed to the reader in this book. There is also a real sense of JK Rowling really kicking things up a gear in this mid series book, giving the reader a feeling that things are only going to get trickier and more intriguing from here. 

Edited by Chrissy

He bought me the entire series for my kindle today!  :kiss:

Aw, what a darling! Lucky you. :)

20) Harry Potter & The Goblet Of Fire by JK Rowling

There is a lot of information to be passed to the reader in this book. There is also a real sense of JK Rowling really kicking things up a gear in this mid series book, giving the reader a feeling that things are only going to get trickier and more intriguing from here. 

This is probably my favourite of the series. :) The fifth book would probably overtake it if it wasn't for Harry being too much of a 'teenager' (whining and shouting all the time).  :D

I understood Harry better in this book and the next book The Order Of The Phoenix  than at my last reading many years ago, when I thought him to be too temperamental. Reading them one after another so long after I last read them has given me a different perspective on them, and their film equivalents.

As readers we have just accepted from the off that Harry's Mum and Dad were murdered by Moldy Voldy,  that the Dursleys were awful non-care givers, that Voldy was after him, and would get his supporters to help destroy him etc.

In this book you realise just how appalling things have got, especially for Harry. 

There is the frightening appearance of the Death Eaters at the Quidditch World Cup, Harry's name going into the Goblet and his treatment by almost everyone at Hogwarts for a time, including best friend Ron. Then he has the actual trials to get through all the while knowing that there is an (unknown) plan in action to kill him. He appears to survive the trials and with Cedric is transported to Voldemort. He witnesses the murder of the lovely and well meaning Cedric, and is then a witness and forced contributor to the return of Voldemort.

This young man, tired both physically and mentally by all he has experienced in the previous months is then surrounded by a crowd of baying adults as he is forced to battle with a wizard regarded as the second most skilled wizard who ever lived (after Dumbledore). This crowd hope to see him killed, and have to be held back from doing so. It is only through the paranormal intervention of Voldemort's last kills that enables Harry to escape with the body of his fellow pupil. I really felt the presence of the Death Eaters in this chapter and the air of menace they gave to it. We know that at least three of them have sons of the same age as Harry, yet somehow calling for his death is desirable to them? 

Holy crap! How much more does this poor lad have to put up with? Which leads me neatly onto, 

21) Harry Potter & The Order Of The Phoenix by JK Rowling

The dementor attack that opens the book, and the subsequent trial at the Ministry

kick things off nicely, so you know from the beginning that the world is a different place now that Voldemort has properly returned and has gathered his Death Eaters to his side.

I 'got' his anger so much better at this reading. He has experienced all that he has, and yet is rendered too young to know anything. 
Whose big idea was it to keep this proven curious and reckless young man out of the loop with what has been happening since the Triwizard final? He needed support, let alone information. Yet everyone thinks he is better off being given dribs and drabs of information. So many of the problems that develop in this book could have been avoided just by explaining things to him, yet it is often left to Hermione with her level thinking and less emotional response to things to fathom the whats, whys and wherefores.

A much darker book in every respect, from the situations themselves,

through the descriptions of the House of Black, to the nuances of the characters. Umbrage is not a Death Eater, yet she is a prejudiced, patronising and a dangerous zealot who enjoys the power she has managed to grasp hold of. Even the late James Potter is shown to have been a posing bully in his early years, and neither Sirius nor Snape can let go of their youthful mutual loathing for the greater present good. 

Menacing is a good word to use for The Order Of The Phoenix. You know from this book that things are not about to get better any time soon.

Edited by Chrissy

I love what you've written Chrissy :)! However, it does contain spoilers, so I hope you don't mind, but could you put spoiler tags around the spoilery bits? Or would you like me to do it for you? I have read the books, but just in case someone else hasn't, I feel it would be better to put some of your thoughts into spoilers.