Chrissy's Reading In 2015

Chrissy

• 2 months later...
  • Replies 166
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

33) I'll Give You The Sun by Jandy Nelson

I really enjoyed reading the author's earlier book The Sky Is Everywhere, so had high hopes that were more than met in this beautifully crafted story. It centres on twins Noah and Jude, and is told first from Noah's perspective and then later on from Jude's. Tragedy, misunderstandings, trauma, abandonment and art are thrown together in such a way the reader spends the book desperate to discover what is going on and why, and equally desperate for the book not to end. Great stuff.  :smile:

34) Another Day by David Levithan

Another YA author I enjoy. Another Day is a companion book to his Every Day, and tells the Story from Rhiannon's perspective. Well written, it defies the reader's expectations by giving the reader a great insight into Rhiannon's thoughts and actions, and not just in reaction to A. Glad to have read it. 

I have a helluva lot  bit of catching up to do with regard to what I've been reading, but the two above were really good reads. I'll be very interested to read what you both think of the I'll Give You The Sun.  :smile: 

35) Wee Free Men by Terry Pratchett

36) A Hat Full Of Sky by Terry Pratchett

37) Wintersmith by Terry Pratchett

38) I Shall Wear Midnight by Terry Pratchett

I am the biggest fan of Tiffany Aching and am looking forward to (and equally dreading) reading the last book The Shepherd's Crown when I finally get it. I have reviewed the books before, so all I will say is that my teen years would probably have been better had I 'met' Tiffany sooner. The progression of the characters over the series is delightful, and Tiffany's own development is both fascinating and enlightening. Great stories in magical wrapping, written with a keen eye for humour, folklore and whimsy. 

39) The Eyre Affair by Jasper Fforde

40) Lost In A Good Book by Jasper Fforde

41) The Well Of Lost Plots by Jasper Fforde

42) Something Rotten by Jasper Fforde

43) First Amongst Sequels by Jasper Fforde

Thursday Next is another literary heroine of mine, a role model of sorts for these hurtling-toward-50 years of mine. She is hard working, passionate, logical, stubborn, and will always do what she believes to be the right thing no matter the cost to herself.

This series is one that either grabs you from the outset or leaves you cold. I have recommended the series twice, and had one friend tell me I must be warped to enjoy them, and another who now regularly uses "Plock!" as an alternative swear word. :D 

Described as comic fantasy and alternative history, the series is a delightful and original romp through a universe that greatly values literature, time travel, croquet and the genetic re engineering of extinct animals, .  We travel between Thursday's 'real' world and the Book World. Both worlds are wonderfully described, with genuinely enchanting characters. Great pacing, intriguing plots, and a new thing to notice at each reading, I will come back to this series again no doubt. 

• 2 weeks later...

The Tiffany Aching books just get better and better with each book in my opinion, Athena and the Jasper Fforde books are a delight. If you like the premise of the first book you will be well and truly hooked. 

44) One Of Our Thursdays Is Missing by Jasper Fforde

45) The Woman Who Died A Lot by Jasper Fforde

I finished the last two books of the Thursday Next series and enjoyed them enormously. My first reading of OOOTIM a few years ago was a little bit frustrating, as I spent the entire read waiting for Thursday Next to turn up properly, but this time around I knew when she would appear, so was able to relax and enjoy this wonderfully inventive and colourful story. New characters are introduced seamlessly who enhance the narrative. 

I had managed to forget most of the plot The Woman Who Died A Lot, only retaining one or two bits of the story. This does not reflect AT ALL on the book, more my state of mind at the time. This is a fabulous read, as witty and original as the other six books of the series. Thursday is on fine form, battling Goliath and the consequences of Aornis' return, the demands of vengeful gods and the complicated requirements of her children. You know, a typical week for our Thursday. :D

• 3 weeks later...

46) How The Marquis Got His Coat Back by Neil Gaiman

A short from Mr Gaiman based around a central character from his wonderful Neverwhere. Macabre and dark this is a wonderful little story that increases our understanding of the Marquis de Carabas, but only enough to raise more questions about him. One thing for certain? I have no plans to visit Shepherds' Bush (Under) any time soon.  :o

47) The Big Over Easy by Jasper Fforde

Carrying on with my Ffordian kick, I delved into the Nursery Crimes Division to read their first book starring Jack Spratt and Mary Mary, investigating the death of Humpty Dumpty. Inventive, witty and well paced with a clever plot and memorable characters. I will no doubt be picking up the second NCD book soon, but felt an urge to go visit Jasper Fforde's YA series The Last Dragonslayer first.

48) 49) & 50) The Last Dragonslayer, The Song Of The Quarkbeast, and The Eye Of Zoltar by Jasper Fforde

The bit that Mr Fforde immediately gets completely right before all other textual considerations, is his central character, the one we are going to be following eagerly through his book/s. Thursday Next, Jack Spratt, and here, Jennifer Strange. Wonderful fully developed characters with wit, warmth, a honed moral compass, faults and foibles. They have the lot, and as a reader it makes you love them from the start and remain routing for them throughout. 

Jennifer Strange is only 15 at the start of the series, but her age should not make one hesitate to read this original and compelling series. She is a terrific heroine, living and working in a world of depleted magic, wars, social injustice on a massive scale and attempting to 'hold the fort' until her boss and mentor returns from his mysterious disappearance. 

The first book explores what happens when a rumour is abound that the last dragon in the kingdom is about to die. Just who are the main players in this event, and why is there all this morally repugnant behaviour abound? 

The second book gives us greater depth to the back story of Kazam and their greatest (and only) magical competitor, and additionally looks at the myths and legends behind the Quarkbeast. Peril, enslavement and being turned to stone fill the pages. 

The third book takes Jennifer on a long and perilous journey. New characters are introduced, and the plot develops significantly, the landscape of the Dragonslayer world becomes so much more vivid in this book, and I can only hope that JF writes a fourth to this series. 

Terrific books that I highly and heartedly recommend to any Fforde fans who haven't yet indulged themselves. 

Thanks Kylie.

I have really enjoyed strolling through Mr Fforde's wonderful writing. I'm planning on a slight and quick detour through a Rachel Caine series (Weather Wardens) and then plan on reading JF's The Fourth Bear, and then his Shades Of Grey. I have had the book since it came out in paperback, but have weirdly never started it. I think I have always been scared that I might not love it. It would break my heart to read a Jasper Fforde book and not be transported by it. 

*gulp*

• 3 weeks later...

Thank you for the Christmas card.  

Ditto.  :smile:

52) Ketchup Clouds by Annabel Pitcher

This is probably my last (to finish) book of the year, and was a good'un to bring my pretty successful reading year to a close. Having read the author's My Sister Lives On The Mantelpiece, I knew I would very likely both enjoy and be stirred by this one too.

This is an epistolary novel, written with wit and pathos. Had it been a quieter time of the year I would probably have read the book in one sitting, because despite knowing from the first pages what has happened, you are yet to discover the how, who and why, and this pushes the delicate tension of the story. I warmed to the central character straight away, and I remain intrigued by her simply yet well drawn family and friends. A sharp, painful, compelling and wonderful story with which to end this year. Marvellous.  :smile:

Ditto. :smile:

52) Ketchup Clouds by Annabel Pitcher

This is probably my last (to finish) book of the year, and was a good'un to bring my pretty successful reading year to a close. Having read the author's My Sister Lives On The Mantelpiece, I knew I would very likely both enjoy and be stirred by this one too.

This is an epistolary novel, written with wit and pathos. Had it been a quieter time of the year I would probably have read the book in one sitting, because despite knowing from the first pages what has happened, you are yet to discover the how, who and why, and this pushes the delicate tension of the story. I warmed to the central character straight away, and I remain intrigued by her simply yet well drawn family and friends. A sharp, painful, compelling and wonderful story with which to end this year. Marvellous. :smile:

I also enjoyed My Sister Lives on the Mantlepiece so will put this one on my wish list, lovely review Chrissy.

By any chance have you read The Land of Decoration by Grace McCleen? I think it may well be right up your street.

Thanks Chalie. There are some authors that have such an original way of telling their story and they do so with an almost off kilter vibe, and Annabel Pitcher is definitely one of them. The story and characters are still with me, and will remain so for a while yet.  :smile:

Thanks for the recommendation, I will add that to my ever increasing pile of TBR and Wishlisted books.  :D

Thanks Chalie. There are some authors that have such an original way of telling their story and they do so with an almost off kilter vibe, and Annabel Pitcher is definitely one of them. The story and characters are still with me, and will remain so for a while yet.  :smile:

Thanks for the recommendation, I will add that to my ever increasing pile of TBR and Wishlisted books.  :D

:smile:  :readingtwo:  :smile: